Total Posts:73|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

What does "closed-minded" mean?

AWSM0055
Posts: 751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 2:54:37 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/7/2016 2:45:51 AM, wembley wrote:
I have used this term many times but I understand what it means. Do you?

Yes. Close mindedness is when someone is not open to anything contrary to what they believe.

And of course, DDO is being a pain in the backside with its "your post is not unique" crap. So now I have to fill in this part of my post with random garbage so I'm allowed to post.
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
wembley
Posts: 58
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 3:04:37 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/7/2016 2:54:37 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:
At 1/7/2016 2:45:51 AM, wembley wrote:
I have used this term many times but I understand what it means. Do you?

Yes. Close mindedness is when someone is not open to anything contrary to what they believe.


And of course, DDO is being a pain in the backside with its "your post is not unique" crap. So now I have to fill in this part of my post with random garbage so I'm allowed to post. : :'

I'm open-minded to random garbage. Are you?
Kyle_the_Heretic
Posts: 748
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 3:23:30 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/7/2016 2:45:51 AM, wembley wrote:
I have used this term many times but I understand what it means. Do you?

If I tell you that you have offered no proof that you know what "close-minded" means, subjectively or objectively, will you tell me that I'm close-minded?
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
wembley
Posts: 58
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 3:25:08 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/7/2016 3:23:30 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 1/7/2016 2:45:51 AM, wembley wrote:
I have used this term many times but I understand what it means. Do you?

If I tell you that you have offered no proof that you know what "close-minded" means, subjectively or objectively, will you tell me that I'm close-minded? :

Those who need proof when listening to someone's story is absolutely closed-minded.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Posts: 748
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 3:28:29 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/7/2016 3:25:08 AM, wembley wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:23:30 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 1/7/2016 2:45:51 AM, wembley wrote:
I have used this term many times but I understand what it means. Do you?

If I tell you that you have offered no proof that you know what "close-minded" means, subjectively or objectively, will you tell me that I'm close-minded? :

Those who need proof when listening to someone's story is absolutely closed-minded.

Then you are incorrect. You do not know what "close-minded" means.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
wembley
Posts: 58
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 3:32:06 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/7/2016 3:28:29 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:25:08 AM, wembley wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:23:30 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 1/7/2016 2:45:51 AM, wembley wrote:
I have used this term many times but I understand what it means. Do you?

If I tell you that you have offered no proof that you know what "close-minded" means, subjectively or objectively, will you tell me that I'm close-minded? :

Those who need proof when listening to someone's story is absolutely closed-minded.

Then you are incorrect. You do not know what "close-minded" means. :

I feel sorry for those who ask for proof to everyone they listen to. They're so closed-minded, that they will never get out of the box they're in.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Posts: 748
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 3:35:01 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/7/2016 3:32:06 AM, wembley wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:28:29 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:25:08 AM, wembley wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:23:30 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 1/7/2016 2:45:51 AM, wembley wrote:
I have used this term many times but I understand what it means. Do you?

If I tell you that you have offered no proof that you know what "close-minded" means, subjectively or objectively, will you tell me that I'm close-minded? :

Those who need proof when listening to someone's story is absolutely closed-minded.

Then you are incorrect. You do not know what "close-minded" means. :

I feel sorry for those who ask for proof to everyone they listen to. They're so closed-minded, that they will never get out of the box they're in.

If you don't believe me when I say you're incorrect, then, by your own definition, you must be close-minded. Perhaps you should feel sorry for yourself.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
wembley
Posts: 58
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 3:38:53 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/7/2016 3:35:01 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:32:06 AM, wembley wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:28:29 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:25:08 AM, wembley wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:23:30 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 1/7/2016 2:45:51 AM, wembley wrote:
I have used this term many times but I understand what it means. Do you?

If I tell you that you have offered no proof that you know what "close-minded" means, subjectively or objectively, will you tell me that I'm close-minded? :

Those who need proof when listening to someone's story is absolutely closed-minded.

Then you are incorrect. You do not know what "close-minded" means. :

I feel sorry for those who ask for proof to everyone they listen to. They're so closed-minded, that they will never get out of the box they're in.

If you don't believe me when I say you're incorrect, then, by your own definition, you must be close-minded. Perhaps you should feel sorry for yourself. :

I never agreed or disagreed with you that I was incorrect. I said this: "I feel sorry for those who ask for proof to everyone they listen to. They're so closed-minded, that they will never get out of the box they're in."
Kyle_the_Heretic
Posts: 748
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 3:45:50 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/7/2016 3:38:53 AM, wembley wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:35:01 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:32:06 AM, wembley wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:28:29 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:25:08 AM, wembley wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:23:30 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 1/7/2016 2:45:51 AM, wembley wrote:
I have used this term many times but I understand what it means. Do you?

If I tell you that you have offered no proof that you know what "close-minded" means, subjectively or objectively, will you tell me that I'm close-minded? :

Those who need proof when listening to someone's story is absolutely closed-minded.

Then you are incorrect. You do not know what "close-minded" means. :

I feel sorry for those who ask for proof to everyone they listen to. They're so closed-minded, that they will never get out of the box they're in.

If you don't believe me when I say you're incorrect, then, by your own definition, you must be close-minded. Perhaps you should feel sorry for yourself. :

I never agreed or disagreed with you that I was incorrect. I said this: "I feel sorry for those who ask for proof to everyone they listen to. They're so closed-minded, that they will never get out of the box they're in."

You disagree with people who ask for proof. I asked for proof. That means you disagree with me when I say that you're incorrect. That means that you're close-minded. If in fact you don't disagree with me when I say you're incorrect. Then you agree that you're incorrect. Which means that you're close-minded. I suppose you'll never get out of the box you're in.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
wembley
Posts: 58
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 3:58:49 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/7/2016 3:45:50 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:38:53 AM, wembley wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:35:01 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:32:06 AM, wembley wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:28:29 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:25:08 AM, wembley wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:23:30 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 1/7/2016 2:45:51 AM, wembley wrote:
I have used this term many times but I understand what it means. Do you?

If I tell you that you have offered no proof that you know what "close-minded" means, subjectively or objectively, will you tell me that I'm close-minded? :

Those who need proof when listening to someone's story is absolutely closed-minded.

Then you are incorrect. You do not know what "close-minded" means. :

I feel sorry for those who ask for proof to everyone they listen to. They're so closed-minded, that they will never get out of the box they're in.

If you don't believe me when I say you're incorrect, then, by your own definition, you must be close-minded. Perhaps you should feel sorry for yourself. :

I never agreed or disagreed with you that I was incorrect. I said this: "I feel sorry for those who ask for proof to everyone they listen to. They're so closed-minded, that they will never get out of the box they're in."

You disagree with people who ask for proof. I asked for proof. That means you disagree with me when I say that you're incorrect. That means that you're close-minded. If in fact you don't disagree with me when I say you're incorrect. Then you agree that you're incorrect. Which means that you're close-minded. I suppose you'll never get out of the box you're in. : :

Where did I say I disagree with you?
Kyle_the_Heretic
Posts: 748
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 4:38:38 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/7/2016 3:58:49 AM, wembley wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:45:50 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:38:53 AM, wembley wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:35:01 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:32:06 AM, wembley wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:28:29 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:25:08 AM, wembley wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:23:30 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 1/7/2016 2:45:51 AM, wembley wrote:
I have used this term many times but I understand what it means. Do you?

If I tell you that you have offered no proof that you know what "close-minded" means, subjectively or objectively, will you tell me that I'm close-minded? :

Those who need proof when listening to someone's story is absolutely closed-minded.

Then you are incorrect. You do not know what "close-minded" means. :

I feel sorry for those who ask for proof to everyone they listen to. They're so closed-minded, that they will never get out of the box they're in.

If you don't believe me when I say you're incorrect, then, by your own definition, you must be close-minded. Perhaps you should feel sorry for yourself. :

I never agreed or disagreed with you that I was incorrect. I said this: "I feel sorry for those who ask for proof to everyone they listen to. They're so closed-minded, that they will never get out of the box they're in."

You disagree with people who ask for proof. I asked for proof. That means you disagree with me when I say that you're incorrect. That means that you're close-minded. If in fact you don't disagree with me when I say you're incorrect. Then you agree that you're incorrect. Which means that you're close-minded. I suppose you'll never get out of the box you're in. : :

Where did I say I disagree with you?

I showed that very clearly.

Bottom line, you either agree with me, or disagree with me. Either way, you're being close minded.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
AWSM0055
Posts: 751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 5:38:38 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/7/2016 3:25:08 AM, wembley wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:23:30 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 1/7/2016 2:45:51 AM, wembley wrote:
I have used this term many times but I understand what it means. Do you?

If I tell you that you have offered no proof that you know what "close-minded" means, subjectively or objectively, will you tell me that I'm close-minded? :

Those who need proof when listening to someone's story is absolutely closed-minded.

HAHAHAHAHA

OMG, is that's seriously your definition of "close-mindedness"? BRUH...

That's basically means that all of science is close minded, which it's not.

Oh, BTW, I own a Lamborghini Veneno, and I own a Billion dollar mansion. Proof you say? Your being close minded!
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
wembley
Posts: 58
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 7:37:34 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/7/2016 4:38:38 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:58:49 AM, wembley wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:45:50 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:38:53 AM, wembley wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:35:01 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:32:06 AM, wembley wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:28:29 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:25:08 AM, wembley wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:23:30 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 1/7/2016 2:45:51 AM, wembley wrote:
I have used this term many times but I understand what it means. Do you?

If I tell you that you have offered no proof that you know what "close-minded" means, subjectively or objectively, will you tell me that I'm close-minded? :

Those who need proof when listening to someone's story is absolutely closed-minded.

Then you are incorrect. You do not know what "close-minded" means. :

I feel sorry for those who ask for proof to everyone they listen to. They're so closed-minded, that they will never get out of the box they're in.

If you don't believe me when I say you're incorrect, then, by your own definition, you must be close-minded. Perhaps you should feel sorry for yourself. :

I never agreed or disagreed with you that I was incorrect. I said this: "I feel sorry for those who ask for proof to everyone they listen to. They're so closed-minded, that they will never get out of the box they're in."

You disagree with people who ask for proof. I asked for proof. That means you disagree with me when I say that you're incorrect. That means that you're close-minded. If in fact you don't disagree with me when I say you're incorrect. Then you agree that you're incorrect. Which means that you're close-minded. I suppose you'll never get out of the box you're in. : :

Where did I say I disagree with you?

I showed that very clearly.

Bottom line, you either agree with me, or disagree with me. Either way, you're being close minded. :

Closed-minded means you don't know the source of where all information comes from. If you do know, then you're open-minded to everything you experience in life and the experiences of other people.
wembley
Posts: 58
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 7:42:21 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/7/2016 5:38:38 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:25:08 AM, wembley wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:23:30 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 1/7/2016 2:45:51 AM, wembley wrote:
I have used this term many times but I understand what it means. Do you?

If I tell you that you have offered no proof that you know what "close-minded" means, subjectively or objectively, will you tell me that I'm close-minded? :

Those who need proof when listening to someone's story is absolutely closed-minded.

HAHAHAHAHA

OMG, is that's seriously your definition of "close-mindedness"? BRUH...

That's basically means that all of science is close minded, which it's not.

Oh, BTW, I own a Lamborghini Veneno, and I own a Billion dollar mansion. Proof you say? Your being close minded! : :

Many scientists are closed-minded people who don't believe in a Creator of them and their experiences.

If you told me that you owned such vehicles and a billion dollar mansion, I wouldn't need any proof to believe your lies. I would know where your information came from.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Posts: 748
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 8:15:31 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
Closed-minded means you don't know the source of where all information comes from. If you do know, then you're open-minded to everything you experience in life and the experiences of other people.

You remain incorrect.

Not knowing creates the curiosity that opens one's mind. Claiming to know something, without providing proof is what closes one's mind. Do you believe that I have proved that you're incorrect? If I do not need to provide proof, then you must accept that I am right about you being incorrect, which means that your are close-minded. If I do need to provide proof, then by your own definition, you are close-minded.

Do you believe in fairies? At one time their existence was commonly accepted by even the most reputable people: http://www.sacred-texts.com...

Please tell me why I should have an open mind to what they claim to have seen without them having to prove it?

Keep in mind that a closed mind does not plug up one's ears. I could listen to the people who claim to have seen fairies, give them a chance to prove themselves. But without that proof, I see no reason to foolishly open my mind.

Do you believe in God? I'm sure you do, and so do I. But not because I opened my mind. Obtaining that belief required opening my heart. Despite my belief in God, I know that I cannot prove He exists. For that reason, I do not ask those who do not believe to be open-minded, I can give them no proof to do so. Instead, I can only try to give them a reason to open their heart. If they do, great. If they don't, I refuse to condemn them. I'm not their judge.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
wembley
Posts: 58
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 8:37:40 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/7/2016 8:15:31 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
Closed-minded means you don't know the source of where all information comes from. If you do know, then you're open-minded to everything you experience in life and the experiences of other people.

You remain incorrect.

Not knowing creates the curiosity that opens one's mind. Claiming to know something, without providing proof is what closes one's mind. Do you believe that I have proved that you're incorrect? If I do not need to provide proof, then you must accept that I am right about you being incorrect, which means that your are close-minded. If I do need to provide proof, then by your own definition, you are close-minded.

Do you believe in fairies? At one time their existence was commonly accepted by even the most reputable people: http://www.sacred-texts.com...

Please tell me why I should have an open mind to what they claim to have seen without them having to prove it?

Keep in mind that a closed mind does not plug up one's ears. I could listen to the people who claim to have seen fairies, give them a chance to prove themselves. But without that proof, I see no reason to foolishly open my mind.

Do you believe in God? I'm sure you do, and so do I. But not because I opened my mind. Obtaining that belief required opening my heart. Despite my belief in God, I know that I cannot prove He exists. For that reason, I do not ask those who do not believe to be open-minded, I can give them no proof to do so. Instead, I can only try to give them a reason to open their heart. If they do, great. If they don't, I refuse to condemn them. I'm not their judge. :

I have met many closed-minded people like you who argue with anything I say or write.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 9:10:10 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
I've been learning a bit about god . Reading some stuff . Catholic v Christians. I really did not no the difference till today. I really thought they where the same. With every sentence I read it gets hazy. You sure don't make it easy. It to me is like a little war a little divide. With both the same outcome. Kind of .

After 1hr of side by side comparison, I'm back to where I started . It made me more confident then ever .And now I feel almost proud . I am a true loyal Atheist . Stupid sounding word . And will remain a "Atheist" till my last breath. I still love all . But I feel sorry for people spending any time at all With a belief in God .

I live with hope that one day my brothers and sisters . You will come to a realization , of how misguided you have been with your beliefs. And how far of the path of life you have strayed. I ask you all to come back , and let us work together. And with such great numbers we can help every person in need . No matter what race religion or belief.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Posts: 748
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 9:11:42 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/7/2016 8:37:40 AM, wembley wrote:
At 1/7/2016 8:15:31 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
Closed-minded means you don't know the source of where all information comes from. If you do know, then you're open-minded to everything you experience in life and the experiences of other people.

You remain incorrect.

Not knowing creates the curiosity that opens one's mind. Claiming to know something, without providing proof is what closes one's mind. Do you believe that I have proved that you're incorrect? If I do not need to provide proof, then you must accept that I am right about you being incorrect, which means that your are close-minded. If I do need to provide proof, then by your own definition, you are close-minded.

Do you believe in fairies? At one time their existence was commonly accepted by even the most reputable people: http://www.sacred-texts.com...

Please tell me why I should have an open mind to what they claim to have seen without them having to prove it?

Keep in mind that a closed mind does not plug up one's ears. I could listen to the people who claim to have seen fairies, give them a chance to prove themselves. But without that proof, I see no reason to foolishly open my mind.

Do you believe in God? I'm sure you do, and so do I. But not because I opened my mind. Obtaining that belief required opening my heart. Despite my belief in God, I know that I cannot prove He exists. For that reason, I do not ask those who do not believe to be open-minded, I can give them no proof to do so. Instead, I can only try to give them a reason to open their heart. If they do, great. If they don't, I refuse to condemn them. I'm not their judge. :

I have met many closed-minded people like you who argue with anything I say or write.

Nonsense. I'm very open-minded to the fact that you're incorrect. It's a shame that you're so close-minded to that fact yourself.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 10:07:26 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/7/2016 2:45:51 AM, wembley wrote:
I have used this term many times but I understand what it means. Do you?

I generally understand 'closed-minded' to be a synonym of dogmatic: upholding absolute belief in some authoritative statement.

By contrast, open-mindedness accepts some possibility that dogma and/or its author might be ignorant or in error.

However, that's not necessarily to accept every counter-argument or alternative claim, since some may be incoherent, invalid, poorly evidenced, or falsified.

I suspect this means that open-mindedness must occur within some frame of good or best practice that discriminates between good evidence and bad, and which holds its own independent accountability for accuracy.
AWSM0055
Posts: 751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 10:35:19 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/7/2016 7:42:21 AM, wembley wrote:
At 1/7/2016 5:38:38 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:25:08 AM, wembley wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:23:30 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 1/7/2016 2:45:51 AM, wembley wrote:
I have used this term many times but I understand what it means. Do you?

If I tell you that you have offered no proof that you know what "close-minded" means, subjectively or objectively, will you tell me that I'm close-minded? :

Those who need proof when listening to someone's story is absolutely closed-minded.

HAHAHAHAHA

OMG, is that's seriously your definition of "close-mindedness"? BRUH...

That's basically means that all of science is close minded, which it's not.

Oh, BTW, I own a Lamborghini Veneno, and I own a Billion dollar mansion. Proof you say? Your being close minded! : :

Many scientists are closed-minded people who don't believe in a Creator of them and their experiences.

No no no no. SCIENCE isn't closed minded. SCIENTISTS can be close minded.

Besides, many scientists don't believe in a created because they've weighed the evidence and have concluded that a God doesn't exist, which is not close-minded.

If you told me that you owned such vehicles and a billion dollar mansion, I wouldn't need any proof to believe your lies. I would know where your information came from.

WTF does that MEAN!?!

"I wouldn't need any proof to believe your lies"? That sentence makes no sense what-so-ever. You admit they were lies, yet you also claim that you require no evidence to believe them? So you believe lies, knowing they're lies?

"I would know where your information came from", again what the hell does that mean? My information came from my brain.
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
AWSM0055
Posts: 751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 10:41:14 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/7/2016 8:37:40 AM, wembley wrote:
At 1/7/2016 8:15:31 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
Closed-minded means you don't know the source of where all information comes from. If you do know, then you're open-minded to everything you experience in life and the experiences of other people.

You remain incorrect.

Not knowing creates the curiosity that opens one's mind. Claiming to know something, without providing proof is what closes one's mind. Do you believe that I have proved that you're incorrect? If I do not need to provide proof, then you must accept that I am right about you being incorrect, which means that your are close-minded. If I do need to provide proof, then by your own definition, you are close-minded.

Do you believe in fairies? At one time their existence was commonly accepted by even the most reputable people: http://www.sacred-texts.com...

Please tell me why I should have an open mind to what they claim to have seen without them having to prove it?

Keep in mind that a closed mind does not plug up one's ears. I could listen to the people who claim to have seen fairies, give them a chance to prove themselves. But without that proof, I see no reason to foolishly open my mind.

Do you believe in God? I'm sure you do, and so do I. But not because I opened my mind. Obtaining that belief required opening my heart. Despite my belief in God, I know that I cannot prove He exists. For that reason, I do not ask those who do not believe to be open-minded, I can give them no proof to do so. Instead, I can only try to give them a reason to open their heart. If they do, great. If they don't, I refuse to condemn them. I'm not their judge. :

I have met many closed-minded people like you who argue with anything I say or write.

Arguing against another persons claims isn't close-mindedness you half-wit.

And open-mindedness isn't accepting every bit of crap anybody and their dog says is true.

Open-mindedness is considering a persons claim and comparing that to the evidence. If the claim doesn't hold up, it's disregarded.

Close-mindedness is rejecting a claim on the sole basis that it contradicts your belief.
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
bulproof
Posts: 25,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 2:06:57 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/7/2016 8:37:40 AM, wembley wrote:
At 1/7/2016 8:15:31 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
Closed-minded means you don't know the source of where all information comes from. If you do know, then you're open-minded to everything you experience in life and the experiences of other people.

You remain incorrect.

Not knowing creates the curiosity that opens one's mind. Claiming to know something, without providing proof is what closes one's mind. Do you believe that I have proved that you're incorrect? If I do not need to provide proof, then you must accept that I am right about you being incorrect, which means that your are close-minded. If I do need to provide proof, then by your own definition, you are close-minded.

Do you believe in fairies? At one time their existence was commonly accepted by even the most reputable people: http://www.sacred-texts.com...

Please tell me why I should have an open mind to what they claim to have seen without them having to prove it?

Keep in mind that a closed mind does not plug up one's ears. I could listen to the people who claim to have seen fairies, give them a chance to prove themselves. But without that proof, I see no reason to foolishly open my mind.

Do you believe in God? I'm sure you do, and so do I. But not because I opened my mind. Obtaining that belief required opening my heart. Despite my belief in God, I know that I cannot prove He exists. For that reason, I do not ask those who do not believe to be open-minded, I can give them no proof to do so. Instead, I can only try to give them a reason to open their heart. If they do, great. If they don't, I refuse to condemn them. I'm not their judge. :

I have met many closed-minded people like you who argue with anything I say or write.
The disguise is holding up, but you know it can't last.
In fact I am impressed by the restraint, live long and prosper.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
wembley
Posts: 58
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 3:52:31 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/7/2016 9:11:42 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 1/7/2016 8:37:40 AM, wembley wrote:
At 1/7/2016 8:15:31 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
Closed-minded means you don't know the source of where all information comes from. If you do know, then you're open-minded to everything you experience in life and the experiences of other people.

You remain incorrect.

Not knowing creates the curiosity that opens one's mind. Claiming to know something, without providing proof is what closes one's mind. Do you believe that I have proved that you're incorrect? If I do not need to provide proof, then you must accept that I am right about you being incorrect, which means that your are close-minded. If I do need to provide proof, then by your own definition, you are close-minded.

Do you believe in fairies? At one time their existence was commonly accepted by even the most reputable people: http://www.sacred-texts.com...

Please tell me why I should have an open mind to what they claim to have seen without them having to prove it?

Keep in mind that a closed mind does not plug up one's ears. I could listen to the people who claim to have seen fairies, give them a chance to prove themselves. But without that proof, I see no reason to foolishly open my mind.

Do you believe in God? I'm sure you do, and so do I. But not because I opened my mind. Obtaining that belief required opening my heart. Despite my belief in God, I know that I cannot prove He exists. For that reason, I do not ask those who do not believe to be open-minded, I can give them no proof to do so. Instead, I can only try to give them a reason to open their heart. If they do, great. If they don't, I refuse to condemn them. I'm not their judge. :

I have met many closed-minded people like you who argue with anything I say or write.

Nonsense. I'm very open-minded to the fact that you're incorrect. It's a shame that you're so close-minded to that fact yourself. :

Some people love to argue with themselves.
wembley
Posts: 58
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 3:57:45 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/7/2016 10:07:26 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 1/7/2016 2:45:51 AM, wembley wrote:
I have used this term many times but I understand what it means. Do you?

I generally understand 'closed-minded' to be a synonym of dogmatic: upholding absolute belief in some authoritative statement.

By contrast, open-mindedness accepts some possibility that dogma and/or its author might be ignorant or in error.

However, that's not necessarily to accept every counter-argument or alternative claim, since some may be incoherent, invalid, poorly evidenced, or falsified.

I suspect this means that open-mindedness must occur within some frame of good or best practice that discriminates between good evidence and bad, and which holds its own independent accountability for accuracy. :

If you understood where all information comes from, then you could tolerate any information that comes your way without judging any of it. Just sit back and enjoy the information even if it sounds wrong to you because once you experience it, there's nothing you can do to change that information.

Most atheists and religious people are very closed-minded and that's why they keep arguing with each other over something that's impossible for them to prove.
wembley
Posts: 58
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 4:02:31 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/7/2016 10:35:19 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:
At 1/7/2016 7:42:21 AM, wembley wrote:
At 1/7/2016 5:38:38 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:25:08 AM, wembley wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:23:30 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 1/7/2016 2:45:51 AM, wembley wrote:
I have used this term many times but I understand what it means. Do you?

If I tell you that you have offered no proof that you know what "close-minded" means, subjectively or objectively, will you tell me that I'm close-minded? :

Those who need proof when listening to someone's story is absolutely closed-minded.

HAHAHAHAHA

OMG, is that's seriously your definition of "close-mindedness"? BRUH...

That's basically means that all of science is close minded, which it's not.

Oh, BTW, I own a Lamborghini Veneno, and I own a Billion dollar mansion. Proof you say? Your being close minded! : :

Many scientists are closed-minded people who don't believe in a Creator of them and their experiences.

No no no no. SCIENCE isn't closed minded. SCIENTISTS can be close minded.

I'm happy to see you corrected yourself to what I wrote. I never said SCIENCE was closed- minded. In fact, if it wasn't for science discoveries, we wouldn't have understood that what we observe really isn't what it appears to be.

Besides, many scientists don't believe in a created because they've weighed the evidence and have concluded that a God doesn't exist, which is not close-minded.

If you told me that you owned such vehicles and a billion dollar mansion, I wouldn't need any proof to believe your lies. I would know where your information came from.

WTF does that MEAN!?!

It means I'm very open-minded since I know where everything we experience comes from.

"I wouldn't need any proof to believe your lies"? That sentence makes no sense what-so-ever. You admit they were lies, yet you also claim that you require no evidence to believe them? So you believe lies, knowing they're lies?

Yes. I believe everyone's story because I know where all information comes from.

"I would know where your information came from", again what the hell does that mean? My information came from my brain. :

That's what most closed-minded people believe. They have no idea where their thoughts come from because they don't know where their brains come from.
Chaosism
Posts: 2,670
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 4:11:41 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/7/2016 4:02:31 PM, wembley wrote:
At 1/7/2016 10:35:19 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:

"I would know where your information came from", again what the hell does that mean? My information came from my brain. :

That's what most closed-minded people believe. They have no idea where their thoughts come from because they don't know where their brains come from.

To borrow from The Matrix...

"...Instead, only try to realize the truth."
"What truth?"
"There is no brain."

Is that along the line of where you're coming from?
SNP1
Posts: 2,404
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 4:12:00 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
Someone who is closed minded is unwilling to consider ideas that they do not already agree with.

Someone who is open minded is willing to consider ideas that they do not already agree with. This does not mean gullibility.

Someone who is gullible is willing to consider any idea proposed to them without first being skeptical and asking for evidence.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
wembley
Posts: 58
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 4:16:04 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/7/2016 4:11:41 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 1/7/2016 4:02:31 PM, wembley wrote:
At 1/7/2016 10:35:19 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:

"I would know where your information came from", again what the hell does that mean? My information came from my brain. :

That's what most closed-minded people believe. They have no idea where their thoughts come from because they don't know where their brains come from.

To borrow from The Matrix...

"...Instead, only try to realize the truth."
"What truth?"
"There is no brain."

Is that along the line of where you're coming from? :

I didn't learn anything from watching a movie called Matrix. I learned it from the one who had his prophets write this;

Psalm 94
7: and they say, "The LORD does not see; the God of Jacob does not perceive."
8: Understand, O dullest of the people! Fools, when will you be wise?
9: He who planted the ear, does he not hear? He who formed the eye, does he not see?
10: He who chastens the nations, does he not chastise? He who teaches men knowledge,
11: the LORD, knows the thoughts of man, that they are but a breath.

Genesis 2
7: then the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.

Man was created from the voice of God ( breath of life ) long before a visible body was formed for man to experience life with.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Posts: 748
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 4:16:19 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/7/2016 3:52:31 PM, wembley wrote:
At 1/7/2016 9:11:42 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 1/7/2016 8:37:40 AM, wembley wrote:
At 1/7/2016 8:15:31 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
Closed-minded means you don't know the source of where all information comes from. If you do know, then you're open-minded to everything you experience in life and the experiences of other people.

You remain incorrect.

Not knowing creates the curiosity that opens one's mind. Claiming to know something, without providing proof is what closes one's mind. Do you believe that I have proved that you're incorrect? If I do not need to provide proof, then you must accept that I am right about you being incorrect, which means that your are close-minded. If I do need to provide proof, then by your own definition, you are close-minded.

Do you believe in fairies? At one time their existence was commonly accepted by even the most reputable people: http://www.sacred-texts.com...

Please tell me why I should have an open mind to what they claim to have seen without them having to prove it?

Keep in mind that a closed mind does not plug up one's ears. I could listen to the people who claim to have seen fairies, give them a chance to prove themselves. But without that proof, I see no reason to foolishly open my mind.

Do you believe in God? I'm sure you do, and so do I. But not because I opened my mind. Obtaining that belief required opening my heart. Despite my belief in God, I know that I cannot prove He exists. For that reason, I do not ask those who do not believe to be open-minded, I can give them no proof to do so. Instead, I can only try to give them a reason to open their heart. If they do, great. If they don't, I refuse to condemn them. I'm not their judge. :

I have met many closed-minded people like you who argue with anything I say or write.

Nonsense. I'm very open-minded to the fact that you're incorrect. It's a shame that you're so close-minded to that fact yourself. :

Some people love to argue with themselves.

And how does that make you feel?
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.