Jump to topic:

Lying

Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 7:32:59 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
How many people lie about their ages on their profiles? It seems quite a few members claim to be over 100 years old.
Are they telling the truth or are they simply trying to hide their real ages behind a lie?

If those members are Christians don't they believe what the bible say about all liars?
Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

If Christians lie about their ages, what else do they lie about?

ALL liars means all of them. Any who tell "little white lies" are not exempt from all.
DanMGTOW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 8:05:19 AM
At 1/11/2016 7:32:59 AM, Skyangel wrote:
How many people lie about their ages on their profiles? It seems quite a few members claim to be over 100 years old.
Are they telling the truth or are they simply trying to hide their real ages behind a lie?

If those members are Christians don't they believe what the bible say about all liars?
Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

ALL liars means all of them. Any who tell "little white lies" are not exempt from all.

didn't you know that christians can sin as much as they want, and still avoid hell?
this is most obvious when christians prefer to sin rather than ask their god for the strength to avoid sin. if jesus was able to avoid sinning for decades, then what did he have that christians will never have?
Casten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 8:13:16 AM
Christians are often the first people to tell you they are sinners. They paint the path to God as an ongoing struggle of sin and repentance.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 10:31:35 AM

I wonder about that too. Some who claim to be young teenagers, come over as much older people!
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 12:19:32 PM

Like, I know logicalmaster, triangle, and many more are not 100 or 99.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
Jovian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 3:45:40 PM

You will probably hear something of the "moving the goalposts" fallacy, that this lie is a lesser and unimportant one. Or they would say that this is a good thing that justifies it, and appeal to anonymousity.
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 4:15:34 PM

That would be the same for non christains, correct?
Jovian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 4:21:55 PM
At 1/11/2016 4:15:34 PM, DPMartin wrote:

Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.: :

Yes, but it's quite obvious that we non-believers would go to hell anyway if the Bible were to be true. Now let us keep the discussion about what it should be about, whether those what will happen to those who adhere to Christianity yet contradicting this verse.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 7:56:08 PM
At 1/11/2016 8:05:19 AM, DanMGTOW wrote:

didn't you know that christians can sin as much as they want, and still avoid hell?
this is most obvious when christians prefer to sin rather than ask their god for the strength to avoid sin. if jesus was able to avoid sinning for decades, then what did he have that christians will never have?

Self control and self respect.
He set an example for his followers to follow.
It seems very few are capable of following a sinless example where you always tell the truth no matter what the consequences.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 7:58:48 PM
At 1/11/2016 8:13:16 AM, Casten wrote:
Christians are often the first people to tell you they are sinners. They paint the path to God as an ongoing struggle of sin and repentance.

Did the Jesus they follow live an ongoing struggle of sin and repentance or did he never struggle to live a sinless life?
What example did he set and what example are the professing believers following?

If someone sets another person free from sin, why does the person who has been set free continue to struggle with sin?
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 8:03:21 PM
At 1/11/2016 10:31:35 AM, JJ50 wrote:

I wonder about that too. Some who claim to be young teenagers, come over as much older people!

Yes, I have noticed that too.

It might not seem like anything important to lie about ones age on a forum but I think if people have the tendencies to lie about relatively unimportant things, they ought never be trusted to tell the truth about anything important either.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 8:04:35 PM
At 1/11/2016 12:19:32 PM, fire_wings wrote:

Like, I know logicalmaster, triangle, and many more are not 100 or 99.

How about you ? Are you really 14?
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 8:13:51 PM
At 1/11/2016 3:45:40 PM, Jovian wrote:

You will probably hear something of the "moving the goalposts" fallacy, that this lie is a lesser and unimportant one. Or they would say that this is a good thing that justifies it, and appeal to anonymousity.

Lies are lies no matter how large or small.
If they don't want members to know their ages they can hide them in the privacy options rather than lie about it.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 8:20:37 PM
At 1/11/2016 4:15:34 PM, DPMartin wrote:

Yes the same principle applies to all people when it comes to liars being untrustworthy. However, non Christians can claim they don't believe they will be punished in hell for lying about anything.
Christians are more obligated to obey the bible than non Christians and the bible clearly condemns lying and liars so why do Christians lie about anything at all ?

When a liar claims he is following Jesus, are they really following a character who they claim spoke nothing but the truth ? I say they are not. They are following a fantasy in their imagination rather than following a truthful example in reality.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 8:20:48 PM
At 1/11/2016 8:13:51 PM, Skyangel wrote:

If they don't want members to know their ages they can hide them in the privacy options rather than lie about it.
Are you lying, or is your name really Skyangel?
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 8:33:48 PM
At 1/11/2016 8:20:48 PM, janesix wrote:

My real screen name is Skyangel. I have no other screen names on this forum. We all understand screen names are not the names we were given at birth but names we all chose to use on the net. My real name is Angelica. Some of my friends call me Angel or Angie. I do not lie about my age and if you want to know something about me, I will tell you the truth. If I don't want you to know, I will tell you it is private information which I don't wish to disclose.

What is your real name?
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 8:36:32 PM
At 1/11/2016 8:33:48 PM, Skyangel wrote:

My real screen name is Skyangel. I have no other screen names on this forum. We all understand screen names are not the names we were given at birth but names we all chose to use on the net.

Yes, I know. I was teasing you

My real name is Angelica. Some of my friends call me Angel or Angie. I do not lie about my age and if you want to know something about me, I will tell you the truth. If I don't want you to know, I will tell you it is private information which I don't wish to disclose.

What is your real name?
Jovian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 9:56:50 PM

Hehe, you have a compelling point, I never thought of it.
Jovian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 10:14:29 PM

A username is not to function as something else than an informal label chosen by the one taking it. Even if it would, Skyangel is not an adherent to Christianity and becomes thus not a hypocrite.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 10:16:55 PM
At 1/11/2016 10:14:29 PM, Jovian wrote:

A username is not to function as something else than an informal label chosen by the one taking it. Even if it would, Skyangel is not an adherent to Christianity and becomes thus not a hypocrite.

Like I said, I was teasing her. Because she is always so serious. I don't think she's a hypocrite.
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2016 2:57:36 AM

You're sitting out front of your house, a young lad comes running down the street and hides in your front yard, Just then, a wild mob of hoons appear with base-ball bats and ask you if you had seen him. You answer that you had seen him run up the road and around the next corner. You lie to protect the young lad, does your lie condemn you to hell?

There are two ways to every deed. To live by the letter of the law, brings death. It is by the spirit of the law that we should live.

For I tell you now that you can lie
There is a time to steal
There is a time to disobey
They is a time to kill
There is a work the must be done
Upon the Sabbath day
No one who understands the Lord
Would teach another way.

For the spirit judges not on what you do
The heart and soul of man he searches through
It's the reason why the deeds of man are done
This is what the Lord God judges on.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2016 1:03:07 AM
At 1/13/2016 2:57:36 AM, Gentorev wrote:

You're sitting out front of your house, a young lad comes running down the street and hides in your front yard, Just then, a wild mob of hoons appear with base-ball bats and ask you if you had seen him. You answer that you had seen him run up the road and around the next corner. You lie to protect the young lad, does your lie condemn you to hell?

No it doesn't because you are deceiving the people who are trying to harm another person and you are doing it to save their life. You have a perfectly good reason to tell the lie.

There are two ways to every deed. To live by the letter of the law, brings death. It is by the spirit of the law that we should live.

I agree with that.

For I tell you now that you can lie
There is a time to steal
There is a time to disobey
They is a time to kill
There is a work the must be done
Upon the Sabbath day
No one who understands the Lord
Would teach another way.

For the spirit judges not on what you do
The heart and soul of man he searches through
It's the reason why the deeds of man are done
This is what the Lord God judges on.

The problem is that most people judge according to outward appearances instead of judging according to the motives.

It is not the act which is a sin but the reason for the act which is right or wrong, good or evil.
Casten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 4:43:38 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/11/2016 7:58:48 PM, Skyangel wrote:

Did the Jesus they follow live an ongoing struggle of sin and repentance or did he never struggle to live a sinless life?
What example did he set and what example are the professing believers following?

If someone sets another person free from sin, why does the person who has been set free continue to struggle with sin?
It sounds like you're saying, "Well if Christianity really worked, Christians would never sin after being saved." But even I know Christianity does not claim to be an easy button. It's not a magical one-time cure that grants immunity from sin for life.

We can't know how much Jesus truly struggled with sin as a real person, or if he even lived at all. But in the Bible he is depicted to have abstained from sin with grace, and in that regard, few Christians claim to be his equal. They attempt to mirror him, and describe their attempts as imperfect.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 10:34:17 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/19/2016 4:43:38 PM, Casten wrote:
At 1/11/2016 7:58:48 PM, Skyangel wrote:

It sounds like you're saying, "Well if Christianity really worked, Christians would never sin after being saved." But even I know Christianity does not claim to be an easy button. It's not a magical one-time cure that grants immunity from sin for life.

In that case those who claim to be saved are not saved at all.
Compare it to an alcoholic who claims to be saved from alcohol addiction. If he continues to get drunk, he is not saved from his addiction at all.

We can't know how much Jesus truly struggled with sin as a real person, or if he even lived at all. But in the Bible he is depicted to have abstained from sin with grace, and in that regard, few Christians claim to be his equal. They attempt to mirror him, and describe their attempts as imperfect.

The character is mythical and he was also accused of being a sinner by the people who judged him as mad and of having a devil and of breaking the law.

If the character set a sinless example, in spite of being accused of sin, the fact is that if you are not following a sinless example, you are not following Jesus at all.
Attempting to follow the example and failing, is not following it.
It is like an alcoholic attempting to be sober and failing. That person cannot claim to be sober just because he attempts to be sober.

1 John 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

All people who sin are of the devil according to scripture. That would include Christian sinners who claim to be saved from sin and fail to stop sinning.

To sin or not to sin is a simple choice. It is simply about resisting temptation.