Total Posts:55|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Our Dark Nature

s-anthony
Posts: 2,582
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 1:55:11 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
In each of us, there live two people, one who is socially adaptive and the other who is socially awkward. The socially adaptive self is that part of us we wish the world to know; it makes nice with others and is culturally fashionable. Yet, there is one who must live in the shadows, hidden away not, only, from others but, also, from oneself. We are well aware of the other's existence, lingering behind, darting in and out of consciousness like our very own shadows. Yet, the vulgarity and uncouthness that go to personify the other is to say the least unsettling; so, even though we know the other is there, we can only tolerate the other for a definite amount of time. Consequently, like unwelcomed houseguests, we do nothing more than tolerate our shadow selves.

The problem with this is our shadows are intricately bound to the very fibers of our being; in other words, we do not exist without our shadows. The shadow gives depth and personality; it goes to the creation of one's identity.

By saying this, I am of the opinion we must not merely tolerate our shadow selves but also accept them. We must learn their meaning, and significance, and come to an understanding of the ways they define us. It is very tempting to say our goal is perfection, and maybe in some ways it is; but, the truth persists, without our inconsistencies, without the intermingling of good with bad, light with darkness, our identities would be lost.
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,225
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 2:15:01 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/15/2016 1:55:11 PM, s-anthony wrote:
In each of us, there live two people, one who is socially adaptive and the other who is socially awkward. The socially adaptive self is that part of us we wish the world to know; it makes nice with others and is culturally fashionable. Yet, there is one who must live in the shadows, hidden away not, only, from others but, also, from oneself. We are well aware of the other's existence, lingering behind, darting in and out of consciousness like our very own shadows. Yet, the vulgarity and uncouthness that go to personify the other is to say the least unsettling; so, even though we know the other is there, we can only tolerate the other for a definite amount of time. Consequently, like unwelcomed houseguests, we do nothing more than tolerate our shadow selves.

The problem with this is our shadows are intricately bound to the very fibers of our being; in other words, we do not exist without our shadows. The shadow gives depth and personality; it goes to the creation of one's identity.

By saying this, I am of the opinion we must not merely tolerate our shadow selves but also accept them. We must learn their meaning, and significance, and come to an understanding of the ways they define us. It is very tempting to say our goal is perfection, and maybe in some ways it is; but, the truth persists, without our inconsistencies, without the intermingling of good with bad, light with darkness, our identities would be lost.

Id. Ego. Super Ego.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
DPMartin
Posts: 1,096
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 2:47:52 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Everyone has been born into the world receiving the nature they have, like dogs or pigs, are born into the world receiving the nature they have and the life they have. Understanding the origin and the result of human nature has it"s benefits, but be assured it never changes. Therefore men, unlike the dog or the pig, can embrace it or disregard it for something higher.

You have to be in the light to have light, and where there is light there is no darkness.
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 3:03:25 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/15/2016 2:47:52 PM, DPMartin wrote:
Everyone has been born into the world receiving the nature they have, like dogs or pigs, are born into the world receiving the nature they have and the life they have. Understanding the origin and the result of human nature has it"s benefits, but be assured it never changes. Therefore men, unlike the dog or the pig, can embrace it or disregard it for something higher.

You have to be in the light to have light, and where there is light there is no darkness.

Where the sun always shines, there is desert below. In nature there is always darkness and light. It is in the darkness we can rest, heal, and contemplate. Without darkness we do not appreciate light.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,010
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 3:35:04 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/15/2016 1:55:11 PM, s-anthony wrote:
In each of us, there live two people, one who is socially adaptive and the other who is socially awkward. The socially adaptive self is that part of us we wish the world to know; it makes nice with others and is culturally fashionable. Yet, there is one who must live in the shadows, hidden away not, only, from others but, also, from oneself. We are well aware of the other's existence, lingering behind, darting in and out of consciousness like our very own shadows. Yet, the vulgarity and uncouthness that go to personify the other is to say the least unsettling; so, even though we know the other is there, we can only tolerate the other for a definite amount of time. Consequently, like unwelcomed houseguests, we do nothing more than tolerate our shadow selves.

The problem with this is our shadows are intricately bound to the very fibers of our being; in other words, we do not exist without our shadows. The shadow gives depth and personality; it goes to the creation of one's identity.

By saying this, I am of the opinion we must not merely tolerate our shadow selves but also accept them. We must learn their meaning, and significance, and come to an understanding of the ways they define us. It is very tempting to say our goal is perfection, and maybe in some ways it is; but, the truth persists, without our inconsistencies, without the intermingling of good with bad, light with darkness, our identities would be lost.
What you are describing is diagnosed as Dissociative Identity Disorder.

"Identity confusion or identity alteration.

Both of these involve a sense of confusion about who a person is. An example of identity confusion is when a person has trouble defining the things that interest them in life, or their political or religious or social viewpoints, or their sexual orientation, or their professional ambitions. In addition to these apparent alterations, the person may experience distortions in time, place, and situation."

"Statistics show the rate of dissociative identity disorder is .01% to 1% of the general population. Still, more than a third of people say they feel as if they're watching themselves in a movie at times, and 7% percent of the population may have undiagnosed dissociative disorder."
s-anthony
Posts: 2,582
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 5:51:59 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Everyone has been born into the world receiving the nature they have, like dogs or pigs, are born into the world receiving the nature they have and the life they have. Understanding the origin and the result of human nature has it"s benefits, but be assured it never changes. Therefore men, unlike the dog or the pig, can embrace it or disregard it for something higher.

I believe human nature does indeed evolve. I don't think anything is completely static. Even though it may evolve with great hesitation, I believe it's ludicrous to assume we have been the same since our beginnings as a species.

You have to be in the light to have light, and where there is light there is no darkness.

And, in which there is absolute light, there's no identity.
s-anthony
Posts: 2,582
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 6:08:15 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Where the sun always shines, there is desert below. In nature there is always darkness and light. It is in the darkness we can rest, heal, and contemplate. Without darkness we do not appreciate light.

In the darkness, we see with a lesser light; and, the power of introspection must adjust to accommodate a lack of brightness. With adjustment, the object of contemplation becomes clearer. If we would see in the dark, we must condition our eyes to do so; if we would explore the dark side of our nature, we must get use to being alone, away from the distractions of the world around us.
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 8:29:58 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/15/2016 1:55:11 PM, s-anthony wrote:
In each of us, there live two people, one who is socially adaptive and the other who is socially awkward. The socially adaptive self is that part of us we wish the world to know; it makes nice with others and is culturally fashionable.

I suspect you've never worked with scientists or engineers, Anthony. Many either never developed a socially adaptive self, or don't display it unless they like and/or respect you. :) If you can imagine a school full of autistic kids with table-manners, that's an average science department. Or as one colleague described it: a science faculty is a rabble of anarchists connected by a common car-park. :)
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 11:40:05 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/15/2016 2:47:52 PM, DPMartin wrote:
Everyone has been born into the world receiving the nature they have, like dogs or pigs, are born into the world receiving the nature they have and the life they have. Understanding the origin and the result of human nature has it"s benefits, but be assured it never changes. Therefore men, unlike the dog or the pig, can embrace it or disregard it for something higher.

You have to be in the light to have light, and where there is light there is no darkness.

Where there is light there is still darkness since the light creates shadows when it shines on you and other things. Shadows are darkness due to being less light in shadows than in places without shadows.
Darkness is simply an absence of light or less light compared to the stronger light. However, ultimately it is still light even if not the most intense light since light is everywhere and it creates the illusion of darkness when it blinds your eyes.
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 11:54:25 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/15/2016 1:55:11 PM, s-anthony wrote:
In each of us, there live two people, one who is socially adaptive and the other who is socially awkward. The socially adaptive self is that part of us we wish the world to know; it makes nice with others and is culturally fashionable. Yet, there is one who must live in the shadows, hidden away not, only, from others but, also, from oneself. We are well aware of the other's existence, lingering behind, darting in and out of consciousness like our very own shadows. Yet, the vulgarity and uncouthness that go to personify the other is to say the least unsettling; so, even though we know the other is there, we can only tolerate the other for a definite amount of time. Consequently, like unwelcomed houseguests, we do nothing more than tolerate our shadow selves.

The problem with this is our shadows are intricately bound to the very fibers of our being; in other words, we do not exist without our shadows. The shadow gives depth and personality; it goes to the creation of one's identity.

By saying this, I am of the opinion we must not merely tolerate our shadow selves but also accept them. We must learn their meaning, and significance, and come to an understanding of the ways they define us. It is very tempting to say our goal is perfection, and maybe in some ways it is; but, the truth persists, without our inconsistencies, without the intermingling of good with bad, light with darkness, our identities would be lost.

I don't see two people living in everyone. I see two different aspects of the same person. There is a difference. One is a schizophrenic concept and the other is a concept of one person who has opposite sides. If people merely tolerate their dark side like an unwelcome house guest, they obviously don't accept themselves as they are.

Accepting all aspects of ourselves and rejecting nothing is necessary for total self acceptance. People will never be able to accept others any more than they accept themselves.
Perfection is about accepting yourself warts and all. We can all change the things we are capable of changing about ourselves like outward appearances and attitudes that we wish to change but there are simply some things about ourselves which cannot be changed like our personalities.
It takes both dark and light to paint a perfect picture. You cannot paint a picture with just one colour. You need various shades of a colour to create even a monochrome picture.
SevenDust
Posts: 50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2016 3:54:09 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/15/2016 1:55:11 PM, s-anthony wrote:
In each of us, there live two people, one who is socially adaptive and the other who is socially awkward. The socially adaptive self is that part of us we wish the world to know; it makes nice with others and is culturally fashionable. Yet, there is one who must live in the shadows, hidden away not, only, from others but, also, from oneself. We are well aware of the other's existence, lingering behind, darting in and out of consciousness like our very own shadows. Yet, the vulgarity and uncouthness that go to personify the other is to say the least unsettling; so, even though we know the other is there, we can only tolerate the other for a definite amount of time. Consequently, like unwelcomed houseguests, we do nothing more than tolerate our shadow selves.

https://www.youtube.com...

The problem with this is our shadows are intricately bound to the very fibers of our being; in other words, we do not exist without our shadows. The shadow gives depth and personality; it goes to the creation of one's identity.

By saying this, I am of the opinion we must not merely tolerate our shadow selves but also accept them. We must learn their meaning, and significance, and come to an understanding of the ways they define us. It is very tempting to say our goal is perfection, and maybe in some ways it is; but, the truth persists, without our inconsistencies, without the intermingling of good with bad, light with darkness, our identities would be lost.
Morality is of the highest importance - but for us, not for God.
Albert Einstein
Gentorev
Posts: 2,928
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2016 4:09:54 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/15/2016 1:55:11 PM, s-anthony wrote:
In each of us, there live two people, one who is socially adaptive and the other who is socially awkward. The socially adaptive self is that part of us we wish the world to know; it makes nice with others and is culturally fashionable. Yet, there is one who must live in the shadows, hidden away not, only, from others but, also, from oneself. We are well aware of the other's existence, lingering behind, darting in and out of consciousness like our very own shadows. Yet, the vulgarity and uncouthness that go to personify the other is to say the least unsettling; so, even though we know the other is there, we can only tolerate the other for a definite amount of time. Consequently, like unwelcomed houseguests, we do nothing more than tolerate our shadow selves.

The problem with this is our shadows are intricately bound to the very fibers of our being; in other words, we do not exist without our shadows. The shadow gives depth and personality; it goes to the creation of one's identity.

By saying this, I am of the opinion we must not merely tolerate our shadow selves but also accept them. We must learn their meaning, and significance, and come to an understanding of the ways they define us. It is very tempting to say our goal is perfection, and maybe in some ways it is; but, the truth persists, without our inconsistencies, without the intermingling of good with bad, light with darkness, our identities would be lost.

And what is perfection?

To me, perfection is being honest and true to "WHO I AM." Not to who I was nor who I will be, but to "WHO I AM,"=JHWH.
s-anthony
Posts: 2,582
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2016 2:09:07 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
What you are describing is diagnosed as Dissociative Identity Disorder.

"Identity confusion or identity alteration.

No. Dissociative identity disorder is complete autonomy of more than one personality in a single psyche, complete to the extent one personality is not even aware of the others or is aware but sees them as completely separate individuals. In saying, "In each of us, there live two people...," I am not saying two completely separate people but rather two distinct complexes as components of one psyche.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2016 2:16:31 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/16/2016 2:09:07 PM, s-anthony wrote:
What you are describing is diagnosed as Dissociative Identity Disorder.

"Identity confusion or identity alteration.

No. Dissociative identity disorder is complete autonomy of more than one personality in a single psyche, complete to the extent one personality is not even aware of the others or is aware but sees them as completely separate individuals. In saying, "In each of us, there live two people...," I am not saying two completely separate people but rather two distinct complexes as components of one psyche.

Do you have a name for him ?
s-anthony
Posts: 2,582
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2016 2:49:06 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
I suspect you've never worked with scientists or engineers, Anthony. Many either never developed a socially adaptive self, or don't display it unless they like and/or respect you. :)

I'm not the best person in the world to pick up on the humor in other people. So, if I'm taking you too seriously let me know; but I believe there are degrees of social adaptation. I don't believe there are very many people, if any, who are absolute sociopaths.

If you can imagine a school full of autistic kids with table-manners, that's an average science department. Or as one colleague described it: a science faculty is a rabble of anarchists connected by a common car-park. :)

I don't believe even autism signifies a complete absence of empathy; if that were the case, one's capacity for reason would break down or at least be incompatible with society's, meaning empathy, itself, plays a significant role in the creation of that which appears to us as logic. That which is logical to us is cooperation; that which is logical to one who suffers from severe sociopathy is self-interest to the extent others are devoid of value and are therefore useless.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,010
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2016 4:11:58 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/16/2016 2:09:07 PM, s-anthony wrote:
What you are describing is diagnosed as Dissociative Identity Disorder.

"Identity confusion or identity alteration.

No. Dissociative identity disorder is complete autonomy of more than one personality in a single psyche, complete to the extent one personality is not even aware of the others or is aware but sees them as completely separate individuals. In saying, "In each of us, there live two people...," I am not saying two completely separate people but rather two distinct complexes as components of one psyche.

Like Jekell and Hyde.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2016 4:39:37 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/15/2016 6:08:15 PM, s-anthony wrote:
Where the sun always shines, there is desert below. In nature there is always darkness and light. It is in the darkness we can rest, heal, and contemplate. Without darkness we do not appreciate light.

In the darkness, we see with a lesser light; and, the power of introspection must adjust to accommodate a lack of brightness. With adjustment, the object of contemplation becomes clearer. If we would see in the dark, we must condition our eyes to do so; if we would explore the dark side of our nature, we must get use to being alone, away from the distractions of the world around us.

This has become an outdated way of thinking based on the "good vs. evil" diatribe we've been swallowing for many centuries often due to religious doctrines telling us we have an "evil" nature, God is good nonsense. We know very well that the line between them is quite grey indeed, that what may be good for one is evil for another. We don't have these two separate thingies going on inside the human mind, we are simply lifeforms with a brain that can reason, hence we have the capacity to do anything, which may include harming oneself or others, or benefiting oneself or others, or not harming and not benefiting oneself or others, the possibilities literally being endless.

There is no such thing as a Jekyll and Hyde contained within us. Instead, what we have are ideologies we follow, which can be of a religious, nationalist, political, etc. nature. And we know that religion as an ideology has and continues to make reasoned people do harmful things to themselves and others.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2016 6:48:35 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/16/2016 2:49:06 PM, s-anthony wrote:
I suspect you've never worked with scientists or engineers, Anthony. Many either never developed a socially adaptive self, or don't display it unless they like and/or respect you. :)
I'm not the best person in the world to pick up on the humor in other people. So, if I'm taking you too seriously let me know; but I believe there are degrees of social adaptation. I don't believe there are very many people, if any, who are absolute sociopaths.
It's not just degrees of adaptation, Anthony, but categories. Not everyone cares to present an agreeable, compliant, even respectable persona. I know many people who are socially functional who nevertheless simply don't care how most other people feel about them. This seems to vary by temperament, and by age.

This is why I challenged the generalisation in your premise. There are people who routinely manipulate perceptions for social benefit. Then there are people who are either generally don't notice, or don't care, or don't care outside specific circumstances, and some who care, but not enough to dissemble.

Regarding tone, I wanted a humorous tone, since while I don't agree with your premise, I also didn't want you to feel criticised personally for having formed that view. So I made jokes about my own profession (founded in truth), but hoped there'd be some nuggets of ideas to challenge your thinking.
s-anthony
Posts: 2,582
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2016 6:48:42 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
I don't see two people living in everyone. I see two different aspects of the same person. There is a difference. One is a schizophrenic concept and the other is a concept of one person who has opposite sides. If people merely tolerate their dark side like an unwelcome house guest, they obviously don't accept themselves as they are.

The reason I classify these complexes as personalities is they're autonomous to the extent they have self-awareness and memory. This is demonstrated by the fact that certain moods have distinct characteristics and invoke particular memories.

Accepting all aspects of ourselves and rejecting nothing is necessary for total self acceptance. People will never be able to accept others any more than they accept themselves.
Perfection is about accepting yourself warts and all. We can all change the things we are capable of changing about ourselves like outward appearances and attitudes that we wish to change but there are simply some things about ourselves which cannot be changed like our personalities.
It takes both dark and light to paint a perfect picture. You cannot paint a picture with just one colour. You need various shades of a colour to create even a monochrome picture.

I agree with everything you said except for our being unable to change our personalities. I do not believe personalities are fixed, but I believe they evolve, they develop, they mature with time. If one's personality were immutable, it would not be dynamic, but static, it would not be alive, but dead.
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2016 11:02:28 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/16/2016 6:48:42 PM, s-anthony wrote:
I don't see two people living in everyone. I see two different aspects of the same person. There is a difference. One is a schizophrenic concept and the other is a concept of one person who has opposite sides. If people merely tolerate their dark side like an unwelcome house guest, they obviously don't accept themselves as they are.

The reason I classify these complexes as personalities is they're autonomous to the extent they have self-awareness and memory. This is demonstrated by the fact that certain moods have distinct characteristics and invoke particular memories.

Self awareness and memories are aspects of one persons mind not two different peoples minds.
People who have Jekyll and Hyde personalities need to seek help.
They are generally bipolar or have psychopathic tendencies.

Accepting all aspects of ourselves and rejecting nothing is necessary for total self acceptance. People will never be able to accept others any more than they accept themselves.
Perfection is about accepting yourself warts and all. We can all change the things we are capable of changing about ourselves like outward appearances and attitudes that we wish to change but there are simply some things about ourselves which cannot be changed like our personalities.
It takes both dark and light to paint a perfect picture. You cannot paint a picture with just one colour. You need various shades of a colour to create even a monochrome picture.

I agree with everything you said except for our being unable to change our personalities. I do not believe personalities are fixed, but I believe they evolve, they develop, they mature with time. If one's personality were immutable, it would not be dynamic, but static, it would not be alive, but dead.

They develop and mature to a certain extent but a person born with an outgoing personality will never become an introvert and vice versa. The basic type of personality doesn't change even in the process of maturing.
Compare it to a growing plant. The plant cannot change to another type of plant but it goes through various changes as it grows from immature to mature. An apple tree cannot change to a lemon tree for example. It will always remain an apple tree regardless of the stage of maturity.
Gentorev
Posts: 2,928
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2016 11:19:18 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/16/2016 11:02:28 PM, Skyangel wrote: They develop and mature to a certain extent but a person born with an outgoing personality will never become an introvert and vice versa. The basic type of personality doesn't change even in the process of maturing.
Compare it to a growing plant. The plant cannot change to another type of plant but it goes through various changes as it grows from immature to mature. An apple tree cannot change to a lemon tree for example. It will always remain an apple tree regardless of the stage of maturity.

No one is born with an out going personality, but if one develops an out going personality in their formative years, they can and sometimes do, through life's circumstances become an introvert.

A human cannot change to another type of animal, but it goes through various changes, such as one with an out going personality changing to an introvert, as it grows from immaturity to maturity.
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2016 11:36:54 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/16/2016 11:19:18 PM, Gentorev wrote:
At 1/16/2016 11:02:28 PM, Skyangel wrote: They develop and mature to a certain extent but a person born with an outgoing personality will never become an introvert and vice versa. The basic type of personality doesn't change even in the process of maturing.
Compare it to a growing plant. The plant cannot change to another type of plant but it goes through various changes as it grows from immature to mature. An apple tree cannot change to a lemon tree for example. It will always remain an apple tree regardless of the stage of maturity.

No one is born with an out going personality, but if one develops an out going personality in their formative years, they can and sometimes do, through life's circumstances become an introvert.

A human cannot change to another type of animal, but it goes through various changes, such as one with an out going personality changing to an introvert, as it grows from immaturity to maturity.

Have you ever had children ? I have 4 and I know from experience they are born with different personalities and that general personality with which they are born is part of them all their lives.

Maybe in extraordinary circumstances a persons personality might be crushed as in the example of when they are abused or some other traumatic event causes them to become withdrawn but in a healthy normal environment, I doubt the essence of who are are when you are born changes much except for maturing.

Anyway, I think all people have positive and negative aspects to their nature regardless of whether they are introvert or extrovert.

I think the opposite aspects of anything in nature are natures way of keeping things balanced. When we understand both aspects of our own nature, and how to overcome the negatives with the positives, it is not hard to stay balanced.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,010
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 2:07:12 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/16/2016 11:02:28 PM, Skyangel wrote:
At 1/16/2016 6:48:42 PM, s-anthony wrote:
I don't see two people living in everyone. I see two different aspects of the same person. There is a difference. One is a schizophrenic concept and the other is a concept of one person who has opposite sides. If people merely tolerate their dark side like an unwelcome house guest, they obviously don't accept themselves as they are.

The reason I classify these complexes as personalities is they're autonomous to the extent they have self-awareness and memory. This is demonstrated by the fact that certain moods have distinct characteristics and invoke particular memories.

Self awareness and memories are aspects of one persons mind not two different peoples minds.
People who have Jekyll and Hyde personalities need to seek help.
They are generally bipolar or have psychopathic tendencies.

But you have been arguing God and the Devil are One God.

You wrote:"You have both good and evil aspects to your character. Does the fact that opposite aspects of your character reside in you make you two different people or are you still just one person who overcomes evil with good ?"

Here you agree with me the good and evil aspects of ones character make them bipolar and psychopathic. You are a dishonest little cheat with absolutely no intellectual integrity.

Accepting all aspects of ourselves and rejecting nothing is necessary for total self acceptance. People will never be able to accept others any more than they accept themselves.
Perfection is about accepting yourself warts and all. We can all change the things we are capable of changing about ourselves like outward appearances and attitudes that we wish to change but there are simply some things about ourselves which cannot be changed like our personalities.
It takes both dark and light to paint a perfect picture. You cannot paint a picture with just one colour. You need various shades of a colour to create even a monochrome picture.

I agree with everything you said except for our being unable to change our personalities. I do not believe personalities are fixed, but I believe they evolve, they develop, they mature with time. If one's personality were immutable, it would not be dynamic, but static, it would not be alive, but dead.

They develop and mature to a certain extent but a person born with an outgoing personality will never become an introvert and vice versa. The basic type of personality doesn't change even in the process of maturing.
Compare it to a growing plant. The plant cannot change to another type of plant but it goes through various changes as it grows from immature to mature. An apple tree cannot change to a lemon tree for example. It will always remain an apple tree regardless of the stage of maturity.
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 9:53:59 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/17/2016 2:07:12 AM, Harikrish wrote:
At 1/16/2016 11:02:28 PM, Skyangel wrote:

Self awareness and memories are aspects of one persons mind not two different peoples minds.
People who have Jekyll and Hyde personalities need to seek help.
They are generally bipolar or have psychopathic tendencies.

But you have been arguing God and the Devil are One God.

Yes I have. Two different aspects of one person does not make two different people in one body. It is one person with opposite aspects to them.

You wrote:"You have both good and evil aspects to your character. Does the fact that opposite aspects of your character reside in you make you two different people or are you still just one person who overcomes evil with good ?"

Yes I wrote that. The answer to the question is that you are still one person not two different people in one body.

Here you agree with me the good and evil aspects of ones character make them bipolar and psychopathic. You are a dishonest little cheat with absolutely no intellectual integrity.

You are not comprehending the difference between a person who thinks they have two people inside them vs a person who understands they simply have positive and negative aspects to their character. There is a vast difference between people who understand their own nature and can balance it naturally vs a person who fluctuates between extremes and doesn't seem capable of controlling those extremes.
Try a little intellectual integrity yourself and try understanding what others are writing before you jump to false conclusions.

All people have positive and negative aspects to their characters but not all are bipolar or psychopathic. Some manage to control themselves and balance themselves out so they are stable. Others obvious don't. There are unstable people who lack self control abilities and obviously need help.
There are some who need help understanding the difference between stable people and unstable people.
I hope you have managed to understand it now.?
Harikrish
Posts: 11,010
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2016 11:37:28 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/17/2016 9:53:59 PM, Skyangel wrote:
At 1/17/2016 2:07:12 AM, Harikrish wrote:
At 1/16/2016 11:02:28 PM, Skyangel wrote:

Self awareness and memories are aspects of one persons mind not two different peoples minds.
People who have Jekyll and Hyde personalities need to seek help.
They are generally bipolar or have psychopathic tendencies.

But you have been arguing God and the Devil are One God.

Yes I have. Two different aspects of one person does not make two different people in one body. It is one person with opposite aspects to them.

You wrote:"You have both good and evil aspects to your character. Does the fact that opposite aspects of your character reside in you make you two different people or are you still just one person who overcomes evil with good ?"

Yes I wrote that. The answer to the question is that you are still one person not two different people in one body.


Here you agree with me the good and evil aspects of ones character make them bipolar and psychopathic. You are a dishonest little cheat with absolutely no intellectual integrity.

You are not comprehending the difference between a person who thinks they have two people inside them vs a person who understands they simply have positive and negative aspects to their character. There is a vast difference between people who understand their own nature and can balance it naturally vs a person who fluctuates between extremes and doesn't seem capable of controlling those extremes.
A Jekell and Hyde is what you mean as good and evil in the same person. That would make everyone psychotic or schizophrenic.

Try a little intellectual integrity yourself and try understanding what others are writing before you jump to false conclusions.


All people have positive and negative aspects to their characters but not all are bipolar or psychopathic. Some manage to control themselves and balance themselves out so they are stable. Others obvious don't. There are unstable people who lack self control abilities and obviously need help.

But you were using good and evil (God and Devil) as examples of aspects of the same person which are extremes and not just negative and positive aspects of ones character.

You wrote: " Yes I have. Two different aspects of one person does not make two different people in one body. It is one person with opposite aspects to them." referring to God and Devil as one God.

There are some who need help understanding the difference between stable people and unstable people.
I hope you have managed to understand it now.?

You need to get a better understanding of good and evil. Most people are capable of going much good and there are a few evil people who have cause much human suffering. But to say we are all vascillating between good and evil is to hold an extreme worldview.
Just like you believing God and the Devil are the same person. Even a child can tell you as all scriptures go are two different beings. You are dabbling in the absurd.
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2016 9:51:42 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/18/2016 11:37:28 AM, Harikrish wrote:
At 1/17/2016 9:53:59 PM, Skyangel wrote:
At 1/17/2016 2:07:12 AM, Harikrish wrote:

Here you agree with me the good and evil aspects of ones character make them bipolar and psychopathic. You are a dishonest little cheat with absolutely no intellectual integrity.

You are not comprehending the difference between a person who thinks they have two people inside them vs a person who understands they simply have positive and negative aspects to their character. There is a vast difference between people who understand their own nature and can balance it naturally vs a person who fluctuates between extremes and doesn't seem capable of controlling those extremes.
A Jekell and Hyde is what you mean as good and evil in the same person. That would make everyone psychotic or schizophrenic.

No it's not what I mean. It's what you want to believe I mean. Your preconceived ideas are misleading you.

All people have positive and negative aspects to their characters but not all are bipolar or psychopathic. Some manage to control themselves and balance themselves out so they are stable. Others obvious don't. There are unstable people who lack self control abilities and obviously need help.

But you were using good and evil (God and Devil) as examples of aspects of the same person which are extremes and not just negative and positive aspects of ones character.

If you wish to see them as extremes, feel free to do so but you need to remember that positive and negative aspects are very subjective and what one person might judge as something good, another might very well judge as something bad. Therefore extremes are always relative to very subjective human perception.

You wrote: " Yes I have. Two different aspects of one person does not make two different people in one body. It is one person with opposite aspects to them." referring to God and Devil as one God.

And you obviously still cannot comprehend what I am saying when I say they are one.
Take the Jesus character as an example. Then pay attention to the fact that some characters in the story judged him as good, righteous, holy, sinless, a man of God and others judged the same character as mad, blasphemous, unrighteous, a lawbreaker, a child of the devil.
The bible characters and readers today still judge the same character in totally opposite ways. Why?
Does he have two different personalities? Is he a Jekyll and Hyde type character? I say NO.
The reason why some people perceive good as evil and evil as good is not because good is evil or evil is good. It is for a different reason and if you cannot figure it out after all my efforts to explain it, I don't think you really want to know the reason. You are not interested in any other point of view but your own.

There are some who need help understanding the difference between stable people and unstable people.
I hope you have managed to understand it now.?

You need to get a better understanding of good and evil. Most people are capable of going much good and there are a few evil people who have cause much human suffering. But to say we are all vascillating between good and evil is to hold an extreme worldview.
Just like you believing God and the Devil are the same person. Even a child can tell you as all scriptures go are two different beings. You are dabbling in the absurd.

Good and evil exist only in human perception and judgement. Is religion good for example when it causes much human suffering and wars?

Personifying good and evil as two different characters is perfectly logical. It is as logical as separating the night and the day into two different halves of the day. They are separate in that sense but they are not two different days. They are merely two different halves of the same thing. As two halves of a whole day they are joined together as one. Why can't you comprehend that simple fact? Do you have comprehension difficulties?
It might seem absurd to you but they say TRUTH can be stranger than fiction. That is perfectly true when you understand that TRUTH can be perceived as both good and evil depending on whether people like and accept what they see or not.

That whole theme is portrayed in the personification of TRUTH as the Jesus character. Some perceived him as good and others perceived him as evil and they were all judging the same character not judging two different characters.

If you really make an effort to think about it, you might actually get the revelation one day. However, if you insist on rejecting the light as being absurd, the light will never enlighten your dark mind because of your personal rejection of it.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,010
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2016 10:37:21 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/18/2016 9:51:42 PM, Skyangel wrote:
At 1/18/2016 11:37:28 AM, Harikrish wrote:
At 1/17/2016 9:53:59 PM, Skyangel wrote:
At 1/17/2016 2:07:12 AM, Harikrish wrote:

Here you agree with me the good and evil aspects of ones character make them bipolar and psychopathic. You are a dishonest little cheat with absolutely no intellectual integrity.

You are not comprehending the difference between a person who thinks they have two people inside them vs a person who understands they simply have positive and negative aspects to their character. There is a vast difference between people who understand their own nature and can balance it naturally vs a person who fluctuates between extremes and doesn't seem capable of controlling those extremes.
A Jekell and Hyde is what you mean as good and evil in the same person. That would make everyone psychotic or schizophrenic.

No it's not what I mean. It's what you want to believe I mean. Your preconceived ideas are misleading you.

Jekell and Hyde are two opposites (good and evil) in the same person. Just what you have been posting I.e. Good and evil in the same person.. You even said God and the Devil are actually one God.

All people have positive and negative aspects to their characters but not all are bipolar or psychopathic. Some manage to control themselves and balance themselves out so they are stable. Others obvious don't. There are unstable people who lack self control abilities and obviously need help.

But you were using good and evil (God and Devil) as examples of aspects of the same person which are extremes and not just negative and positive aspects of ones character.

If you wish to see them as extremes, feel free to do so but you need to remember that positive and negative aspects are very subjective and what one person might judge as something good, another might very well judge as something bad. Therefore extremes are always relative to very subjective human perception.

You have taken a extreme subjective view of character traits. To you a person has good and evil aspects are part of his/her character. If you said good and bad it might not be so extreme.

You wrote: " Yes I have. Two different aspects of one person does not make two different people in one body. It is one person with opposite aspects to them." referring to God and Devil as one God.

And you obviously still cannot comprehend what I am saying when I say they are one.
Take the Jesus character as an example. Then pay attention to the fact that some characters in the story judged him as good, righteous, holy, sinless, a man of God and others judged the same character as mad, blasphemous, unrighteous, a lawbreaker, a child of the devil.
No one thinks Jesus is a child of the devil. You keep making things up when your babbling nonsense is exposed.

The bible characters and readers today still judge the same character in totally opposite ways. Why?
Does he have two different personalities? Is he a Jekyll and Hyde type character? I say NO.
If you say God and the devil, good and evil are examples of both aspects of character in the same person you are essentially saying that is a Jekell and Hyde case.

The reason why some people perceive good as evil and evil as good is not because good is evil or evil is good. It is for a different reason and if you cannot figure it out after all my efforts to explain it, I don't think you really want to know the reason. You are not interested in any other point of view but your own.

You are now even mixing the two saying good is evil and evil is good. The more you try to defend what was a bad premise to begin with, the more your logic and reasoning fails you. You should try something less intellectually demanding like knitting for a change.

There are some who need help understanding the difference between stable people and unstable people.
I hope you have managed to understand it now.?

You need to get a better understanding of good and evil. Most people are capable of going much good and there are a few evil people who have cause much human suffering. But to say we are all vascillating between good and evil is to hold an extreme worldview.
Just like you believing God and the Devil are the same person. Even a child can tell you as all scriptures go are two different beings. You are dabbling in the absurd.

Good and evil exist only in human perception and judgement. Is religion good for example when it causes much human suffering and wars?

Where does religion tell you God and the devil are one?

Personifying good and evil as two different characters is perfectly logical. It is as logical as separating the night and the day into two different halves of the day. They are separate in that sense but they are not two different days. They are merely two different halves of the same thing. As two halves of a whole day they are joined together as one. Why can't you comprehend that simple fact? Do you have comprehension difficulties?
It might seem absurd to you but they say TRUTH can be stranger than fiction. That is perfectly true when you understand that TRUTH can be perceived as both good and evil depending on whether people like and accept what they see or not.

If you perceived TRUTH to be both good and evil. You would simply be wrong. Good and evil are not fictitious qualities. They are very easily quantifiable. Please get an education.

That whole theme is portrayed in the personification of TRUTH as the Jesus character. Some perceived him as good and others perceived him as evil and they were all judging the same character not judging two different characters.

Jesus is either seen as good or misguided/delusional but never evil. Any wonder why you failed as a Christian.

If you really make an effort to think about it, you might actually get the revelation one day. However, if you insist on rejecting the light as being absurd, the light will never enlighten your dark mind because of your personal rejection of it.
You need to get help. Most of what you post are just rubbish.
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2016 11:16:10 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/18/2016 10:37:21 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 1/18/2016 9:51:42 PM, Skyangel wrote:

And you obviously still cannot comprehend what I am saying when I say they are one.
Take the Jesus character as an example. Then pay attention to the fact that some characters in the story judged him as good, righteous, holy, sinless, a man of God and others judged the same character as mad, blasphemous, unrighteous, a lawbreaker, a child of the devil.
No one thinks Jesus is a child of the devil. You keep making things up when your babbling nonsense is exposed.

John 10:20 And many of them said, He hath a devil, and is mad; why hear ye him?

The more you write, the more I am convinced that you lack comprehension skills.
Keep up the good work of providing me with evidence of your ignorance.
Most of what you post is just rubbish.
That is why I did not bother responding to the rest of it.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,010
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 1:14:30 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/18/2016 11:16:10 PM, Skyangel wrote:
At 1/18/2016 10:37:21 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 1/18/2016 9:51:42 PM, Skyangel wrote:

And you obviously still cannot comprehend what I am saying when I say they are one.
Take the Jesus character as an example. Then pay attention to the fact that some characters in the story judged him as good, righteous, holy, sinless, a man of God and others judged the same character as mad, blasphemous, unrighteous, a lawbreaker, a child of the devil.
No one thinks Jesus is a child of the devil. You keep making things up when your babbling nonsense is exposed.

John 10:20 And many of them said, He hath a devil, and is mad; why hear ye him?

You said Jesus was a child of the devil. The verse says he hath a devil meaning he was possessed by the devil.
John 10:20 19 The Jews who heard these words were again divided. 20 Many of them said, "He is demon-possessed and raving mad. Why listen to him?"

Any wonder why you are a failed Christian. You don't even know how to read the scriptures. Being possessed by the devil was very common and Jesus was famous for casting out demons from those possessed by the devil.

The more you write, the more I am convinced that you lack comprehension skills.
I am not the only one on DDO who finds your posts nothing but blabbering nonsense.

Keep up the good work of providing me with evidence of your ignorance.
Most of what you post is just rubbish.
That is why I did not bother responding to the rest of it.
You are too intellectually challenged which limits your ability to respond.
s-anthony
Posts: 2,582
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 10:47:18 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
And what is perfection?

For me, perfection means completion.

In some ways, perfection is real as the completion of an action or a stage of development; but, in other ways, it is not, as these actions and developments are ongoing, never complete; one action leads to another, and one development sets the stage for an even greater development.

In its absolute sense, perfection means death, an end to all actions, a completion of all developments.