Jump to topic:

I am going to be a Sikh

harrytruman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 5:20:46 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
Don't get me wrong here, I am not going to deny Christianity, I believe that the God of Sikhism is the God of Christianity.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 5:49:22 AM
At 1/19/2016 5:20:46 AM, harrytruman wrote:
Don't get me wrong here, I am not going to deny Christianity, I believe that the God of Sikhism is the God of Christianity.

Yeah, no.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 2:54:06 PM

Wrapping your head tightly with a turban might help control it from swelling any further. The turban will also protect your head from damage caused by banging it repeatedly against a wooden cross.
be_diligent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 3:19:14 PM

Really Harry, that's a big reach. Why would you want to follow Sikhism?

Christianity advocates true discipleship.
Casten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 4:54:58 PM
Why don't you guys want him to become a Sikh? They get those cool religious daggers. I forget the name. It's worth it just for the dagger, I say.
harrytruman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 6:47:17 PM
At 1/19/2016 3:19:14 PM, be_diligent wrote:

So does theirs, I wouldnt abandon christianity though, it is the same God, just look:
The Sikhists God is the Christian God:
Sikhism scripture:
"Amongst all is the Light-You are that Light. By this Illumination, that Light is radiant within all."

Biblical scripture:
John 8:12:
"Then spoke Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that follows me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life."

Sikhism Scripture:
"God is One. He is the Supreme Truth." (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 1).

Biblical scripture:
1 Timothy 2:5:
"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus".
Sikhism Scripture:
"There is only the One Supreme Lord; there is no other at all. Spirit, soul and body, all belong to Him; whatever pleases His Will, comes to pass." (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 45).
Sikhism Scripture: Piece 1:
"There is only the One Supreme Lord; there is no other at all."
Ephesians 4:4-6
"There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you[a] all." (NKJV)
2 Samuel 7:22:
"Wherefore thou art great, O LORD God; for there is none like thee, neither is there any God beside thee, according to all that we have heard with our ears.
Sikhism Scripture: Piece 2:
"Spirit, soul and body, all belong to Him;"
Ezekiel 18:4:
"Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sins, it shall die."
Sikhism Scripture: Piece 3:
"Whatever pleases His Will comes to pass."
Job 42:2:
"I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted."
Sikhism Scripture:
"He is neither born and nor does He die." (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 1).
Revelation 22:13:
"I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last."
Isaiah 9:7
"Of the greatness of his government and peace there will be no end."(NIV)
Sikhism Scripture:
"Since You are my Lord and Master, what is there for me to fear? Who else should I praise besides You? You are the One and only, and because of You all things exist; there is nothing at all for me without You. O Father, I have seen that this world is poison. Save me O Lord of the Universe! Your Name is my only support. You know completely the condition of my mind; who else could I go to explain it? Without the Naam, the Name of the Lord, the whole world has gone crazy; One finds peace by receiving Naam. What shall I say? Unto whom shall I speak? Whatever I have to say, I say it to God. Everything which exists was created by You. You are my hope, forever and ever. If you bestow greatness, then it is Your greatness; here and hereafter, I meditate on You. God of Nanak is forever the Provider of peace; Your Name is my only strength" (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 382).
Biblical Scripture:
Psalms 104:32-34
"He looks at the earth, and it trembles; He touches the mountains, and they smoke. I will sing to the LORD as long as I live; I will sing praise to my God while I have my being. Let my meditation be pleasing to Him; As for me, I shall be glad in the LORD.""
Psalm 9:1
"Those who know your name trust in you, for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you."
Psalms 118:6
"The LORD is for me; I will not fear; What can man do to me?"
Psalm 103:13-14
"Just as a father has compassion on his children, So the LORD has compassion on those who fear Him. For He Himself knows our frame; He is mindful that we are but dust."
Psalms 18:2:
"The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower."
John 1:3
"Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made."
Sikhism Scripture:
"No one is anyone's companion; why have an ego? Only the Name of Lord is your Support which helps you cross over this world-ocean. I am just a poor mortal, You are my True Support O my Perfect True Guru. Gazing upon the Blessed Vision of Yours, my mind becomes stable. Royal powers and wealth are just a web, they have no use at all. The Kirtan of the Lord's Praises is my support; this is the everlasting true wealth. As many are the pleasures of materialistic things, so many are the shadows they leave. The Gurmukhs sing of the Naam, which is the treasure of peace. You are the True Lord, the treasure of excellence O God, You are deep and profound. The Lord is the hope and support of Nanak's heart" (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 398).
Joel 2:32 "And it will come about that whoever calls on the name of the LORD Will be delivered"
Psalm 18:3 "I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from my enemies."
Psalm 144:1-3
"Blessed be the LORD, my rock "My lovingkindness and my fortress, My stronghold and my deliverer, My shield and He in whom I take refuge, Who subdues my people under me. O LORD, what is man, that You take knowledge of him? Or the son of man, that You think of him?"
Sikhism Scripture:
"He mercifully blesses with peace and bliss. The Divine Lord saves His child. God is kind and compassionate. He forgives all beings and creatures. I seek Your Sanctuary, O God, O Merciful to the meek. I am in ecstasy forever by meditating on the Supreme God. There is no other like the Merciful God. He is contained deep within each and everyone. He embellishes His devotees here and hereafter. God, It is Your nature to purify the sinners" (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 866).
Biblical Scripture:
Hebrews 2:11
"because both the one who sanctifies and those who are being sanctified all have the same Father. That is why Jesus is not ashamed to call them brothers"
Psalm 27:10
"Even if my father and mother abandon me, the LORD will hold me close."
Romans 8:15
"The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father."
Psalms 51:2:
"Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin."
Mathew 23:37
"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones God's messengers! How often I have wanted to gather your children together as a hen protects her chicks beneath her wings, but you wouldn't let me."
Sikhism Scripture:
"God, the Primal Being, the great Provider is free of revenge and hate. I am a sinner; You are my Forgiver. The sinner, who finds no protection anywhere, becomes immaculate and pure if he comes to seek Your sanctuary. I have found peace by pleasing the true Guru (master). I have obtained all fruits and rewards embracing the Guru in my heart. I humbly bow to the Supreme Lord, the true Guru. The entire world, my mind, and my body are Yours. I come to see You when the veil of illusion is removed. You are my Lord and Master; You are the King of all. When it pleases Him, even dry wood becomes green. When it pleases Him, rivers flow across the desert sands. When it pleases Him, all fruits and rewards are obtained. Grasping hold of the Guru's feet, my anxiety is dispelled. I am unworthy and ungrateful, but He has been merciful to me. My mind and body have been soothed; the Ambrosial Nectar rains down in my mind. The Supreme Lord has become kind and compassionate to me. Servant Nanak while enraptured beholds the Lord" (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 1141).
Biblical Scripture:
Psalm 16:2
"I said to the LORD, "You are my Master! Every good thing I have comes from you."
Psalms 86:5
"For you, Lord, are good, and ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy t
be_diligent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 7:18:13 PM
So does theirs, I wouldnt abandon christianity though, it is the same God, just look:
The Sikhists God is the Christian God:
Sikhism scripture:
"Amongst all is the Light-You are that Light. By this Illumination, that Light is radiant within all."

Biblical scripture:
John 8:12:
"Then spoke Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that follows me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life."

Sikhism Scripture:
"God is One. He is the Supreme Truth." (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 1).

Biblical scripture:
1 Timothy 2:5:
"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus".
Sikhism Scripture:
"There is only the One Supreme Lord; there is no other at all. Spirit, soul and body, all belong to Him; whatever pleases His Will, comes to pass." (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 45).
Sikhism Scripture: Piece 1:
"There is only the One Supreme Lord; there is no other at all."
Ephesians 4:4-6
"There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you[a] all." (NKJV)
2 Samuel 7:22:
"Wherefore thou art great, O LORD God; for there is none like thee, neither is there any God beside thee, according to all that we have heard with our ears.
Sikhism Scripture: Piece 2:
"Spirit, soul and body, all belong to Him;"
Ezekiel 18:4:
"Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sins, it shall die."
Sikhism Scripture: Piece 3:
"Whatever pleases His Will comes to pass."
Job 42:2:
"I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted."
Sikhism Scripture:
"He is neither born and nor does He die." (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 1).
Revelation 22:13:
"I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last."
Isaiah 9:7
"Of the greatness of his government and peace there will be no end."(NIV)
Sikhism Scripture:
"Since You are my Lord and Master, what is there for me to fear? Who else should I praise besides You? You are the One and only, and because of You all things exist; there is nothing at all for me without You. O Father, I have seen that this world is poison. Save me O Lord of the Universe! Your Name is my only support. You know completely the condition of my mind; who else could I go to explain it? Without the Naam, the Name of the Lord, the whole world has gone crazy; One finds peace by receiving Naam. What shall I say? Unto whom shall I speak? Whatever I have to say, I say it to God. Everything which exists was created by You. You are my hope, forever and ever. If you bestow greatness, then it is Your greatness; here and hereafter, I meditate on You. God of Nanak is forever the Provider of peace; Your Name is my only strength" (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 382).
Biblical Scripture:
Psalms 104:32-34
"He looks at the earth, and it trembles; He touches the mountains, and they smoke. I will sing to the LORD as long as I live; I will sing praise to my God while I have my being. Let my meditation be pleasing to Him; As for me, I shall be glad in the LORD.""
Psalm 9:1
"Those who know your name trust in you, for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you."
Psalms 118:6
"The LORD is for me; I will not fear; What can man do to me?"
Psalm 103:13-14
"Just as a father has compassion on his children, So the LORD has compassion on those who fear Him. For He Himself knows our frame; He is mindful that we are but dust."
Psalms 18:2:
"The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower."
John 1:3
"Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made."
Sikhism Scripture:
"No one is anyone's companion; why have an ego? Only the Name of Lord is your Support which helps you cross over this world-ocean. I am just a poor mortal, You are my True Support O my Perfect True Guru. Gazing upon the Blessed Vision of Yours, my mind becomes stable. Royal powers and wealth are just a web, they have no use at all. The Kirtan of the Lord's Praises is my support; this is the everlasting true wealth. As many are the pleasures of materialistic things, so many are the shadows they leave. The Gurmukhs sing of the Naam, which is the treasure of peace. You are the True Lord, the treasure of excellence O God, You are deep and profound. The Lord is the hope and support of Nanak's heart" (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 398).
Joel 2:32 "And it will come about that whoever calls on the name of the LORD Will be delivered"
Psalm 18:3 "I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from my enemies."
Psalm 144:1-3
"Blessed be the LORD, my rock "My lovingkindness and my fortress, My stronghold and my deliverer, My shield and He in whom I take refuge, Who subdues my people under me. O LORD, what is man, that You take knowledge of him? Or the son of man, that You think of him?"
Sikhism Scripture:
"He mercifully blesses with peace and bliss. The Divine Lord saves His child. God is kind and compassionate. He forgives all beings and creatures. I seek Your Sanctuary, O God, O Merciful to the meek. I am in ecstasy forever by meditating on the Supreme God. There is no other like the Merciful God. He is contained deep within each and everyone. He embellishes His devotees here and hereafter. God, It is Your nature to purify the sinners" (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 866).
Biblical Scripture:
Hebrews 2:11
"because both the one who sanctifies and those who are being sanctified all have the same Father. That is why Jesus is not ashamed to call them brothers"
Psalm 27:10
"Even if my father and mother abandon me, the LORD will hold me close."
Romans 8:15
"The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father."
Psalms 51:2:
"Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin."
Mathew 23:37
"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones God's messengers! How often I have wanted to gather your children together as a hen protects her chicks beneath her wings, but you wouldn't let me."
Sikhism Scripture:
"God, the Primal Being, the great Provider is free of revenge and hate. I am a sinner; You are my Forgiver. The sinner, who finds no protection anywhere, becomes immaculate and pure if he comes to seek Your sanctuary. I have found peace by pleasing the true Guru (master). I have obtained all fruits and rewards embracing the Guru in my heart. I humbly bow to the Supreme Lord, the true Guru. The entire world, my mind, and my body are Yours. I come to see You when the veil of illusion is removed. You are my Lord and Master; You are the King of all. When it pleases Him, even dry wood becomes green. When it pleases Him, rivers flow across the desert sands. When it pleases Him, all fruits and rewards are obtained. Grasping hold of the Guru's feet, my anxiety is dispelled. I am unworthy and ungrateful, but He has been merciful to me. My mind and body have been soothed; the Ambrosial Nectar rains down in my mind. The Supreme Lord has become kind and compassionate to me. Servant Nanak while enraptured beholds the Lord" (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 1141).
Biblical Scripture:
Psalm 16:2
"I said to the LORD, "You are my Maste

If it says the same thing as the bible, why not just stick with the bible?

Unless you actually want the dagger like Casten suggested.

You could always get the dagger and then just go back to reading the bible. The real sword. It's bigger than a dagger any way.
Casten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 7:32:18 PM
I also endorse be_diligent's suggestion. Sign the Sikh forms, get the dagger, convert back. You'll feel cheap but you'll have the dagger. That's what counts. Take a pic and post it. I must see. I just can't resist a cool dagger.

Damn I wish I could remember what they're called. I'd google it but I have this on-the-tip-of-my-tongue feeling that makes me think it will be rewarding if I remember it myself. Agh, I'll probably cave and look it up. I'm weak.
harrytruman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 8:26:36 PM

You could always get the dagger and then just go back to readi

Little bit more stuff in there, helps with trying to understand God more, plus yeah I want a fancy dagger-sword, besides, they don't like Muslims, and anyone who distant Islam is a friend O mine! Also, If I understand Sikhism, I can understand how they eliminated sexism, and apply that maybe, furthermore, understanding their faith will help me to tell they about Jesus, the Sikhists and the Christians really should integrate, the Sikhists ca learn about Jesus, and the Christians can learn how to not be chauvinists! That really is an issue in the church, look at what Sikhs says:

""Man is born from a woman; within woman, man is conceived; to a woman he is engaged and married. Man is friends with woman; through woman, the future generations exist. When his woman passes away, he seeks another woman; to a woman a man is bound. So why call her bad? From her, kings are born. From a woman, woman is born; without woman there would be no one at all (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 473)."
be_diligent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 8:31:12 PM
At 1/19/2016 8:26:36 PM, harrytruman wrote:

Little bit more stuff in there, helps with trying to understand God more, plus yeah I want a fancy dagger-sword, besides, they don't like Muslims, and anyone who distant Islam is a friend O mine! Also, If I understand Sikhism, I can understand how they eliminated sexism, and apply that maybe, furthermore, understanding their faith will help me to tell they about Jesus, the Sikhists and the Christians really should integrate, the Sikhists ca learn about Jesus, and the Christians can learn how to not be chauvinists! That really is an issue in the church, look at what Sikhs says:

""Man is born from a woman; within woman, man is conceived; to a woman he is engaged and married. Man is friends with woman; through woman, the future generations exist. When his woman passes away, he seeks another woman; to a woman a man is bound. So why call her bad? From her, kings are born. From a woman, woman is born; without woman there would be no one at all (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 473)."

Hey Harry! We are supposed to love our enemies. I don't like the religion itself, but I do see the potential of any Muslim becoming a brother or sister in Christ, in fact many have already.
harrytruman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 8:56:11 PM
At 1/19/2016 8:31:12 PM, be_diligent wrote:
At 1/19/2016 8:26:36 PM, harrytruman wrote:

Hey Harry! We are supposed to love our enemies. I don't like the religion itself, but I do see the potential of any Muslim becoming a brother or sister in Christ, in fact many have already.

Oh, no, the Sikhs are nothing like the Muslims, they are polar opposites essentially, look what the Sikhism Bible says about Muslims:

"You keep your fasts to please Allah, while you murder other beings for pleasure. You look after your own interests, and so not see the interests of others. What good is your word? O Qazi, the One Lord is within you, but you do not think or contemplation on Him. You do not care for others, you are mad about religion, this is why your life is wasting away (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 483)."
Peternosaint
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 5:39:27 AM
At 1/19/2016 4:54:58 PM, Casten wrote:
Why don't you guys want him to become a Sikh? They get those cool religious daggers. I forget the name. It's worth it just for the dagger, I say.

Kris.
Peternosaint
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 5:42:07 AM
At 1/19/2016 7:32:18 PM, Casten wrote:
I also endorse be_diligent's suggestion. Sign the Sikh forms, get the dagger, convert back. You'll feel cheap but you'll have the dagger. That's what counts. Take a pic and post it. I must see. I just can't resist a cool dagger.

Damn I wish I could remember what they're called. I'd google it but I have this on-the-tip-of-my-tongue feeling that makes me think it will be rewarding if I remember it myself. Agh, I'll probably cave and look it up. I'm weak.

If you are sikh enough you can wear the Kris in public as it is a symbol of your rank in the religion, but don't pull it out, the Kris, I mean.
Casten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 12:48:17 AM
Is it a kris? Huh. That doesn't ring a bell for some reason. But dagger terminology is surprisingly extensive. I get my athames and misericordes and dirks and stilletos and kukris and main-gauches all jumbled up.

*waves jazz hands* Daggers!
harrytruman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 12:57:55 AM
At 1/23/2016 12:48:17 AM, Casten wrote:
Is it a kris? Huh. That doesn't ring a bell for some reason. But dagger terminology is surprisingly extensive. I get my athames and misericordes and dirks and stilletos and kukris and main-gauches all jumbled up.

*waves jazz hands* Daggers!

https://docs.google.com...
harrytruman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 12:58:13 AM
At 1/19/2016 3:19:14 PM, be_diligent wrote:

https://docs.google.com...
Peternosaint
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 1:33:34 AM
Try this one

Kirpan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://en.wikipedia.org...
An example of a kirpan, a type of religious dagger, worn at all times by Sikhs ... to Sikhism and references to Muslim and Hindu teachings in the Guru Granth ...

A Kris, my mistake, was the dagger of the Gurkha, and they could never draw the blade unless they put blood on it.
Casten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 2:04:31 AM
I actually find the connection you draw between Christianity and Sikhism to be interesting, harry. So, you are basing this off of similar terms in their scriptures? Both address "light" and "one God," certainly. They share common ideas of salvation through God. I don't know if that amounts to Sikhism acknowledging Jesus as the savior, though. I suppose there is room to look at it that way, if you wish.
Casten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 2:07:04 AM
At 1/23/2016 1:33:34 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
Try this one

Kirpan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://en.wikipedia.org...
An example of a kirpan, a type of religious dagger, worn at all times by Sikhs ... to Sikhism and references to Muslim and Hindu teachings in the Guru Granth ...

A Kris, my mistake, was the dagger of the Gurkha, and they could never draw the blade unless they put blood on it.
That's it! A kirpan! Ah, the lightbulb moment of recognition.
harrytruman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 2:29:31 AM
At 1/23/2016 2:04:31 AM, Casten wrote:
I actually find the connection you draw between Christianity and Sikhism to be interesting, harry. So, you are basing this off of similar terms in their scriptures? Both address "light" and "one God," certainly. They share common ideas of salvation through God. I don't know if that amounts to Sikhism acknowledging Jesus as the savior, though. I suppose there is room to look at it that way, if you wish.

I am basing it off of both similar terms and similar concepts.
Casten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 2:32:26 AM
At 1/23/2016 1:30:41 AM, bulproof wrote:
I'm going to be sick.
Is it my dagger babbling? I really am done, promise.
Casten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 2:33:34 AM
At 1/23/2016 2:29:31 AM, harrytruman wrote:

Does that mean any two faiths with similar terms and concepts could be connected or unified?
harrytruman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 7:20:24 PM
At 1/23/2016 2:33:34 AM, Casten wrote:
At 1/23/2016 2:29:31 AM, harrytruman wrote:

Does that mean any two faiths with similar terms and concepts could be connected or unified?

maybe.