Jump to topic:

What about Hinduism

vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2010 2:30:35 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Hinduism is the worlds third largest religion!

It claims about 950 million followers.So I should see many debates concerning Hinduism.However ive seen none. YouTube,Debate.org,answer.yahoo.com are full of Christian, Muslim and Atheist debates but nothing about Hinduism.Why?

Also why would anyone chose Hinduism over other religions (or atheism or agnosticism)?What are their arguments?
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2010 2:32:51 PM
We had a hindu here. She hasn't posted anything in, like, a week and I don't think she did any debates.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2010 2:54:21 PM
At 10/25/2010 2:30:35 PM, vardas0antras wrote:

It claims about 950 million followers.So I should see many debates concerning Hinduism.However ive seen none.

This may be offensive to some people, probably Hindu people, but Hinduism is just modernized Greek mythology.
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2010 3:07:27 PM
I think it's because Hinduism doesn't really affect the lives of westerners as much as, say, Christianity so it tends to be a less important topic.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2010 3:28:15 PM
At 10/25/2010 2:54:21 PM, m93samman wrote:

It claims about 950 million followers.So I should see many debates concerning Hinduism.However ive seen none.

This may be offensive to some people, probably Hindu people, but Hinduism is just modernized Greek mythology.

History fail. Hinduism predates Greek mythology by thousands of years. Plus, they aren't even similar.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2010 3:30:16 PM
At 10/25/2010 3:28:15 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

History fail. Hinduism predates Greek mythology by thousands of years. Plus, they aren't even similar.
He is referring to the concept of tons of deities and such nonsense (which goes against their scriptures).
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2010 3:32:35 PM
At 10/25/2010 3:07:27 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I think it's because Hinduism doesn't really affect the lives of westerners as much as, say, Christianity so it tends to be a less important topic.

Perhaps, however, less important =/= unimportant.

Eastern religion, and especially Buddhism is sweeping the west and having an important impact.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2010 3:33:52 PM

I'm pretty sure I heard Greek mythology developed from the same religion/culture that Hinduism developed from....

the people who the nazis claimed to be..

what're they called...

not "Austrian"...

umm... what are they called?!?!
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2010 3:38:25 PM
At 10/25/2010 3:33:52 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

Aryan.

http://www.debate.org...
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2010 3:42:10 PM
At 10/25/2010 3:38:25 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

Aryan.

http://www.debate.org...

oops, bad link!

here ya go: http://en.wikipedia.org...

Metaphysics:
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2010 3:51:59 PM
At 10/25/2010 3:46:02 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
...bastards, getting in people's way...total, unmitigated bastards!

Ha ha ha! Is this a common occurrence?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2010 4:26:53 PM

I'm pretty sure I heard Greek mythology developed from the same religion/culture that Hinduism developed from....

Even if that were true (which I doubt, because I don't think the Greeks had much to do with the Aryans; and the fact that it's not proven that Hinduism came from the Aryans), it doesn't mean Hinduism is a rip-off of Greek mythology. It is possible for two completely different things to develop from the same culture.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2010 11:40:13 PM
At 10/25/2010 4:26:53 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Even if that were true (which I doubt, because I don't think the Greeks had much to do with the Aryans; and the fact that it's not proven that Hinduism came from the Aryans), it doesn't mean Hinduism is a rip-off of Greek mythology. It is possible for two completely different things to develop from the same culture.

i was simply saying I could see why he'd think they're similar.

b/c they are,

AND... I'm pretty sure their shared roots are fairly well established.

Metaphysics:
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2010 2:11:49 AM

It claims about 950 million followers.So I should see many debates concerning Hinduism.However ive seen none. YouTube,Debate.org,answer.yahoo.com are full of Christian, Muslim and Atheist debates but nothing about Hinduism.Why?

I don't think there is anything inconsistent about Hindu text. No out of place claim, no questionable texts, in fact the only problem people have with it, (that i've heard of) is that it has too many Gods. And that isn't a problem to us.

Also why would anyone chose Hinduism over other religions (or atheism or agnosticism)?What are their arguments?

I think the thing is it accepts everyone. The thing that surprised me (i admit) is that recently i discovered that it even accepts transgenders. And also the fact that it doesn't force you- be a hindu or you'll burn in HELL!!! Bahaha kind of thing isn't here. Not to sound conceited or anything, but its quite simple. And practical.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2010 2:06:45 PM
At 11/1/2010 2:11:49 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:

I don't think there is anything inconsistent about Hindu text. No out of place claim, no questionable texts, in fact the only problem people have with it, (that i've heard of) is that it has too many Gods. And that isn't a problem to us.

I think the thing is it accepts everyone. The thing that surprised me (i admit) is that recently i discovered that it even accepts transgenders. And also the fact that it doesn't force you- be a hindu or you'll burn in HELL!!! Bahaha kind of thing isn't here. Not to sound conceited or anything, but its quite simple. And practical.

Could it be because they don't believe in the concept of HELL as the Abrahamic faiths do? :)
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 5:31:41 AM
At 11/1/2010 2:06:45 PM, Indophile wrote:

Could it be because they don't believe in the concept of HELL as the Abrahamic faiths do? :)

Na ah. They do. In fact, they do not believe in one Hell, they believe that Hell comprises many worlds, stretching across various dimensions, various phases, and judged by Yama, the lord of death, who is just.
http://www.hinduwebsite.com...
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 8:29:20 AM
At 11/2/2010 5:31:41 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:

Na ah. They do. In fact, they do not believe in one Hell, they believe that Hell comprises many worlds, stretching across various dimensions, various phases, and judged by Yama, the lord of death, who is just.

Maybe I should've worded it better. What I meant was the concept of HELL according to Hindus is more like waystations where you spend some time before continuing on your journey. The journey finally ends when the soul attains salvation. Till that time, based on their actions on the earth in their present birth, people will go to hell or heaven but will eventually return to earth, ad infinitum, till salvation. Then they'll become one with God (Brahman) or something.

So HELL for Hindus is not the same hell as in the Abrahamic faiths, is what I meant. Face it, eternal damnation in hell is way different from spending some time in torture chambers :) Of course, it's all relative.
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 9:17:17 AM

Greek mythology is dead; if it still exists, it's modern. And they are similar in that they have bizarre stories of their different gods
:
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 9:27:02 AM
At 10/25/2010 3:32:35 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 10/25/2010 3:07:27 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Perhaps, however, less important =/= unimportant.

Eastern religion, and especially Buddhism is sweeping the west and having an important impact.

well, talking about Hinduism, not Buddhism (to stay on topic with thread) in what way can you call it important in western world? surely its not the fact that its hear at all, cause if someone shows up to a party dosent mean there important at the party, the important guy is the man who brought the beer, or is obviously the reason the games are fun, ect. but your not important if you just showed up, free loaded on the chips and dip, and didn't talk to much. the party would have overall been the same had you gone to someone else's party. In this metaphor Hinduism is more like that person in the western world, even if they are some of them here what impact is it having? Hollywood is still making movies that target the Christians or atheist or Jews, politics is still appealing to Christians and there morals on there platforms, and if they are making references to Hindus to get across there agenda there never mentioned except in montage with other religions.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 9:29:18 AM
At 11/2/2010 9:17:17 AM, m93samman wrote:

Greek mythology is dead; if it still exists, it's modern. And they are similar in that they have bizarre stories of their different gods

Its not dead, just Zeus became Santa and the underling Gods are the Easter Bunny and the Tooth-fairy, ect. God of Halloween is still a position being fought over though by left over gods.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 10:40:44 AM
At 11/2/2010 9:29:18 AM, Marauder wrote:
At 11/2/2010 9:17:17 AM, m93samman wrote:

Its not dead, just Zeus became Santa and the underling Gods are the Easter Bunny and the Tooth-fairy, ect. God of Halloween is still a position being fought over though by left over gods.

Win.
:
:
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 12:25:08 AM
At 11/2/2010 8:29:20 AM, Indophile wrote:
At 11/2/2010 5:31:41 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:

Maybe I should've worded it better. What I meant was the concept of HELL according to Hindus is more like waystations where you spend some time before continuing on your journey. The journey finally ends when the soul attains salvation. Till that time, based on their actions on the earth in their present birth, people will go to hell or heaven but will eventually return to earth, ad infinitum, till salvation. Then they'll become one with God (Brahman) or something.

So HELL for Hindus is not the same hell as in the Abrahamic faiths, is what I meant. Face it, eternal damnation in hell is way different from spending some time in torture chambers :) Of course, it's all relative.

Oh...
Sorry i misunderstood, i thought you meant Hindus don;'t believe in the concept of hell.
TREssspa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 11:54:31 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
DO CHRISTIANS BELIEVE IN REBIRTH? No.

THEN WHY DO THEY DO PAST LIFE REGRESSION?

DO MUSLIMS BELIEVE IN IDOLATERY? no.

IF SO, WHY DOES STONING OF THE DEVIL EXIST?

sanatana means eternal.

dharma is that which is well - judged and reasoned by mind.

hinduism (recent term) is not a religion

If anyone does immoral deeds - he is not a hindu

What you do decides whether or not you are a hindu.

ADAM and EVE story is just lifted from our sanskrit upanishads - this story is the basis of the Abrahamic religions Judaism/ Christianity / Islam.

All three religions draw upon this STOLEN story from MUNDAKA upanishad III, 1, 1-3 ( Genesis of the Old Testament )..

This story and speaks of the tree of knowledge and God's commandment that its fruit shall not be eaten. Adam at first did not eat it but Eve did. After that Adam too ate the forbidden fruit.

The upanishad ORIGINAL story is about two birds sitting on a peepal tree.

the birds are PURUSHA (atman )and PRAKRITI ( jiva )-- with purusha being the witness.

HEY PRESTO--

ATMAN becomes ADAM

JIVA becomes EVE ( j is silent in most areas ) --people call me AIT ( ayit ) instead of AJIT.

the FIG which eve ate is the fruit of the peepal tree ( FICUS ) -- the true botanical name today is FICUS RELIGIOSA

The old testament NEVER spoke of apple ( from a fig tree ) !

This story is also in Rig Veda (RV 1-164-20) penned down in 5000 BC

The Bible says Eve was created from Adam"s rib.

--again lifted from vedas.( ardhanaishawara concept of shiva )

Koran is NOT far behind in LIFTING the fig concept-- the male equivament of the pipal trees is our national tree Banyan tree (Ficus benghalensis) there is a sura in Quran named "The Fig" or At-Tin (سوره تین).

The Jivatman alone eats the fruit of karma- the Paramatman is a mere witness