Jump to topic:

Science and religion compatible?

Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 9:18:25 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
No, I don't think so. It is only by watering down one or the other that this claim can be made.

For instance: theistic evolution.

It seems reasonable - science says evolution and religion says God is responsible for creation. However, TE completely accepts all of evolution, and waters down Creationism. As an example, the Bible claims very specifically that man was made fully formed, separate, and above all the animals. Evolution tells us that man is an evolved (evolving) animal. Clearly, these explanations are at odds.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 9:36:52 PM
At 1/22/2016 9:18:25 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
No, I don't think so. It is only by watering down one or the other that this claim can be made.

It seems reasonable - science says evolution and religion says God is responsible for creation. However, TE completely accepts all of evolution, and waters down Creationism. As an example, the Bible claims very specifically that man was made fully formed, separate, and above all the animals. Evolution tells us that man is an evolved (evolving) animal. Clearly, these explanations are at odds.

both require faith but there the similarities end..
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 9:37:08 PM

Ignorance is magical. That and ambiguity add mutability to personally held concepts and beliefs, which humans are generally compelled to "complete" using one's own understandings and reasoning that appeal to intuition. I believe this entails modifications best suited to preserve the greatest number of existing beliefs, hence, theistic evolution.

Related psychological phenomena: Need for Cognitive Closure, Belief Perseverance, Cognitive Dissonance.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 9:50:39 PM
At 1/22/2016 9:36:52 PM, graceofgod wrote:

Yea, yea, can we not have the same old discussion about what faith means and why evolution is accepted and not "believed"? Do you agree science and religion are incompatible?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 9:54:28 PM

You act as if there is only one hardline interpretation of creationism, and everything beyond that is just "watered down," as if it's a somehow less valid interpretation.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 9:56:42 PM
At 1/22/2016 9:50:39 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

Yea, yea, can we not have the same old discussion about what faith means and why evolution is accepted and not "believed"? Do you agree science and religion are incompatible?

yes they can be in some areas but i do not see how they can be compatible in evolution for example...
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 10:01:25 PM
At 1/22/2016 9:56:42 PM, graceofgod wrote:

yes they can be in some areas but i do not see how they can be compatible in evolution for example...

I would agree about evolution and creationism. What other areas do you see compatibility?

graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 10:04:28 PM
At 1/22/2016 10:01:25 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

I would agree about evolution and creationism. What other areas do you see compatibility?

the bible talks about the earth hanging in the heavens suspended on nothing at a time when many believed a strong man held up the planet or it travelled on the back of some animal...the bible talks about springs at the bottom of the oceans that feed the oceans, you could argue the parameters that keep species set are from God or the rules we have found for the speed of light or sound...
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 1:07:28 AM
At 1/22/2016 10:04:28 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 1/22/2016 10:01:25 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

the bible talks about the earth hanging in the heavens suspended on nothing at a time when many believed a strong man held up the planet or it travelled on the back of some animal...the bible talks about springs at the bottom of the oceans that feed the oceans, you could argue the parameters that keep species set are from God or the rules we have found for the speed of light or sound...
Or you could argue that the shape of the hole was designed specifically for the shape of the puddle.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
chucklehead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 1:38:17 AM

no ...
big bang , God created the heaven and the earth .....

earth formation from space debris "the earth null and void and without form "
etc ...

as far as "man "
Man , homo sapien sapien , hominid , primate , Greater ape , FLESH
(given a living soul )

God - spirit

Christ -son/God sent in LIKENESS of SINFUL FLESH

man = flesh born of flesh & spirit born of spirit in the image/likeness of God .

you don't have to agree , but certainly you can see where im coming from .
I am a Pentecostal that believes theistic evolution
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 1:42:21 AM
At 1/23/2016 1:38:17 AM, chucklehead wrote:

no ...

etc ...

as far as "man "
(given a living soul )

God - spirit

man = flesh born of flesh & spirit born of spirit in the image/likeness of God .

Win yourself a Nobel prize by providing the scientific papers necessary to describe and defend something called theistic evolution and we'll be impressed.
chucklehead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 1:52:40 AM
At 1/23/2016 1:42:21 AM, bulproof wrote:

no ...

etc ...

as far as "man "
(given a living soul )

God - spirit

Win yourself a Nobel prize by providing the scientific papers necessary to describe and defend something called theistic evolution and we'll be impressed.

why would I have to ? where did I claim you had to believe it ?why do I care if you are impressed ?I reconciled my faith with what I know to be valid science , im sorry if that is a concept beyond your understanding , "seek out thine own salvation "...
I find no conflict between God and the equation of existence .
one love , God bless
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 1:53:27 AM

It all depends on the "religion" in question.

For example if you have a religion which among other things that certain claims are infallible truths, eg literal interpretation of genesis (or it's equivalent in the Quran)and those claims are accepted then when they come across something which contradicts those "infallible truths" eg evolution the only conclusion they can come to is it can't POSSIBLY be true.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 1:56:39 AM
At 1/23/2016 1:52:40 AM, chucklehead wrote:

no ...

etc ...

as far as "man "
(given a living soul )

God - spirit

why would I have to ? where did I claim you had to believe it ?why do I care if you are impressed ?I reconciled my faith with what I know to be valid science , im sorry if that is a concept beyond your understanding , "seek out thine own salvation "...
one love , God bless
Then stop misusing the word evolution. Which god are you invoking?
chucklehead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 2:04:02 AM
..oh , and if you are wondering about " the dust of the ground "
you are a carbon based life form.. topsoil is mostly carbon ..

note : " let the water bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life "
...we are moving creatures that has life ...
abiogenesis :deep sea thermal vents are a proposed site of the formation of life .
not just a single life , but many lives ..
the chemical and sediment composition flowing from the vents varies from minute to minute .. it stands to reason that this first life may have had variation from the start .

the sediments are materials from the earths formation ... stardust , or dust of the earth .
chucklehead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 2:07:45 AM
At 1/23/2016 1:56:39 AM, bulproof wrote:

no ...

etc ...

as far as "man "
(given a living soul )

God - spirit

one love , God bless
misusing ? speciation is proven , ensatina salamander .. how have I misused evolution ? planets evolved too , planetary evolution .look it up .perhaps you might try dictionary . com
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 2:11:09 AM
At 1/23/2016 2:07:45 AM, chucklehead wrote:

no ...

etc ...

as far as "man "
(given a living soul )

God - spirit

one love , God bless
misusing ? speciation is proven , ensatina salamander .. how have I misused evolution ? planets evolved too , planetary evolution .look it up .perhaps you might try dictionary . com
You add magic that simply does not exist and has no place in the ToE.
chucklehead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 2:20:08 AM
At 1/23/2016 2:11:09 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/23/2016 2:07:45 AM, chucklehead wrote:

no ...

etc ...

as far as "man "
(given a living soul )

God - spirit

one love , God bless
You add magic that simply does not exist and has no place in the ToE.
LOL.. if you could prove that assertion you could win a prize ..yeah yeah Occam's razor -vs- Pascal's wager and we wind up with Schrodinger's cat ..
until everything is known nothing is certain .. I could speculate string theory /the multi-verse ..or site the inherent beauty of existence via the Mandelbrot set , or claim because existence is a wavelength , you really " aint sure o'nutt'n ".. but I have no desire to quibble over every lil point to end up where we will .. I like an artist behind the artwork , you don't ..fin.
Casten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 2:25:51 AM
Personally, I like the super smart geneticist God who engineered self-replicating DNA... over, like, the magical God who snapped his fingers and made Adam pop into existence.

You say God is all-wise but you won't let him be science smart. Lame. Why can't his omniscience encompass scientific knowledge.
chucklehead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 2:39:45 AM
At 1/23/2016 2:25:51 AM, Casten wrote:
Personally, I like the super smart geneticist God who engineered self-replicating DNA... over, like, the magical God who snapped his fingers and made Adam pop into existence.

You say God is all-wise but you won't let him be science smart. Lame. Why can't his omniscience encompass scientific knowledge.
Daniel 1:4 &17 (KJV)
4 Children in whom was no blemish, but well favoured, and skilful in all wisdom, and cunning in knowledge, and understanding SCIENCE, and such as had ability in them to stand in the king's palace, and whom they might teach the learning and the tongue of the Chaldeans.........
17 As for these four children, God gave them knowledge and skill in all learning and wisdom: and Daniel had understanding in all visions and dreams.

UNDERSTANDING SCIENCE , GOD GAVE THEM ETC ETC ... ;)
missmedic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 2:40:53 AM

Creationism is a belief based on emotional and egotistical thinking.
Where as evolution is a theory that is scrutinized with intellectually honest, the bases for the scientific method.
chucklehead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 2:44:01 AM
Genesis 30 -
Jacob selectively breeds his livestock .. an example of the mechanism SELECTION , or if you prefer "applied evolutionary theory "
Casten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 2:44:53 AM
At 1/23/2016 2:39:45 AM, chucklehead wrote:

4 Children in whom was no blemish, but well favoured, and skilful in all wisdom, and cunning in knowledge, and understanding SCIENCE, and such as had ability in them to stand in the king's palace, and whom they might teach the learning and the tongue of the Chaldeans.........
17 As for these four children, God gave them knowledge and skill in all learning and wisdom: and Daniel had understanding in all visions and dreams.

Cool beans. Then God definitely could have created Earth billions of years ago and let life slowly arise upon the planet in all its explosively diverse brilliance, culminating in the evolution of humankind?
chucklehead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 2:54:39 AM
At 1/23/2016 2:44:53 AM, Casten wrote:
At 1/23/2016 2:39:45 AM, chucklehead wrote:

Cool beans. Then God definitely could have created Earth billions of years ago and let life slowly arise upon the planet in all its explosively diverse brilliance, culminating in the evolution of humankind?
sure , see above posts ... "let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life "... I see no reason why it conflicts ...
Casten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 2:57:12 AM
At 1/23/2016 2:54:39 AM, chucklehead wrote:

sure , see above posts ... "let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life "... I see no reason why it conflicts ...
You, sir, are awesome.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 3:02:00 AM
At 1/23/2016 2:44:01 AM, chucklehead wrote:
Genesis 30 -
Jacob selectively breeds his livestock .. an example of the mechanism SELECTION , or if you prefer "applied evolutionary theory "

Coloured sticks, ya just don't get more scientific. LOL
chucklehead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 3:43:46 AM
At 1/23/2016 3:02:00 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/23/2016 2:44:01 AM, chucklehead wrote:
Genesis 30 -

Coloured sticks, ya just don't get more scientific. LOL
??? green ? as in flexible ...lol
like a cage , livestock corral , or breeding stocks would be built out of, over the water trough...
chucklehead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 4:03:30 AM
At 1/23/2016 2:57:12 AM, Casten wrote:
At 1/23/2016 2:54:39 AM, chucklehead wrote:

You, sir, are awesome.
no , I just dug a lil deeper ...
you can find it all just as easy .. keep in mind the Genesis account is written from an earth bound perspective ... perspective .example :
many people claim the biblical account claims the sun isn't created until after the earth ..
but if you look to science , you can see that many times prior to plant life the earth was under heavy cloud cover , volcanic fallout , gas eruptions , under a chemical haze ... no visible sun , yet light and dark .. like deep winter .

we find that the first algae mats could withstand low light conditions and were key in stabilizing the early earth atmosphere ...

its not about changing science , or changing scripture . to do either would be dishonest ... just change your perspective . hope this helps .
one love , God bless
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 8:58:11 AM

I think some clarity needs to be made, as this issue became a fairly major problem in the court cases involving intelligent design. Creationism and Biblical Creationism are 2 different things. That is, they don't have to be the same as far as the subject of intelligent design. And until this concept is grasped, the same circular arguments are going to be made with implications that IE is a religious conspiracy or plot to infiltrate religion into our educational system.

So the question needs to be asked, are you including intelligent design in your question in terms of compatibility with science.