Jump to topic:

Why do Jews reject Jesus

vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2010 9:30:06 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
as the messiah and why do Christians believe in Jesus despite the arguments of the Jews.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2010 9:35:57 AM
At 10/28/2010 9:30:06 AM, vardas0antras wrote:
as the messiah and why do Christians believe in Jesus despite the arguments of the Jews.

To respond to this, I think some Jews would need to post there arguments for us Christians to respond to however I'm not sure I have ever seen any Jews on this sight post in the religious forums.

I've seen plenty of atheist, a variety of Christians, a handful of Muslims, and about two Mormons, and every-now and then someone with so obscure a faith that I have never heard of it.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2010 10:10:53 AM
At 10/28/2010 9:35:57 AM, Marauder wrote:

To respond to this, I think some Jews would need to post there arguments for us Christians to respond to however I'm not sure I have ever seen any Jews on this sight post in the religious forums.

I've seen plenty of atheist, a variety of Christians, a handful of Muslims, and about two Mormons, and every-now and then someone with so obscure a faith that I have never heard of it.

That's actually a good point, there really isn't much of a representation of Jews here. They're about 5% of the US population, and probably higher in the college population, but they really aren't very vocal here. I've seen one or two, but they don't argue their position.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2010 10:13:37 AM
At 10/28/2010 10:10:53 AM, innomen wrote:

That's actually a good point,

you sound surprised ;)
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2010 10:15:12 AM
At 10/28/2010 10:13:37 AM, Marauder wrote:
At 10/28/2010 10:10:53 AM, innomen wrote:

That's actually a good point,

you sound surprised ;)

Not at all, i just never really thought about it until you mentioned it. You're always full of good points, or something ;-)
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2010 10:21:38 AM

Sigged
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2010 11:04:13 AM

INH's boyfriend is the only one I know of.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2010 11:10:23 AM
You could ask them directly...

http://www.askmoses.com...
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2010 11:50:32 AM

Buddhism and Hinduism are not obscure. We have 4 active Buddhists and 1 active Hindu.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2010 12:17:29 PM
At 10/28/2010 11:04:13 AM, Korashk wrote:

INH's boyfriend is the only one I know of.

He's atheist. :P He doesn't count.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2010 12:23:28 PM
At 10/28/2010 12:21:15 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 10/28/2010 12:19:45 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
And here, to answer some of your questions... http://www.simpletoremember.com...
By that logic we have no Jews either.

What? How so?
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2010 12:26:07 PM
At 10/28/2010 12:23:28 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
What? How so?
Jesus supposedly did not fulfill the prophecies of the Torah, but the Pharisees, the Jews after them, the Jews many ages after those, etc., they all strayed away and forgot the teachings of the Torah. If we go by that logic then we have no Jews. Moreover, they have forgotten lots of prophecies, and they have the courage to blame Jesus for not fulfilling every prophecy? They not only have the courage, but also the shame.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2010 12:28:33 PM
At 10/28/2010 12:26:07 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 10/28/2010 12:23:28 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
What? How so?
Jesus supposedly did not fulfill the prophecies of the Torah, but the Pharisees, the Jews after them, the Jews many ages after those, etc., they all strayed away and forgot the teachings of the Torah. If we go by that logic then we have no Jews. Moreover, they have forgotten lots of prophecies, and they have the courage to blame Jesus for not fulfilling every prophecy? They not only have the courage, but also the shame.

Jews haven't really swayed from the teachings of the Torah, except for maybe reform jews. It's a matter of perspective.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2010 12:29:31 PM
At 10/28/2010 12:28:33 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Jews haven't really swayed from the teachings of the Torah, except for maybe reform jews. It's a matter of perspective.
How many Orthodox Jews do you find? Most of the Jews have strayed from the teachings of the Torah. We Muslims follow it far more than they do.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 8:56:21 AM
At 10/28/2010 11:50:32 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Buddhism and Hinduism are not obscure. We have 4 active Buddhists and 1 active Hindu.

name them, and by the way you don't count.

A Scout is Obedient.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2010 7:27:42 AM
I am a jew on this site. To answer your question, all you need to do is read the old testament. The new testament is irrelevant to us, therefore we have no reason to believe in Jesus. Moreover, the majority of jews worldwide are secular. I, for one, believe both books are pure fiction. Although they teach some good moral values, and help people deal with hard times.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2010 8:26:58 AM
At 10/30/2010 7:27:42 AM, gavin.ogden wrote:
I am a jew on this site. To answer your question, all you need to do is read the old testament. The new testament is irrelevant to us, therefore we have no reason to believe in Jesus. Moreover, the majority of jews worldwide are secular. I, for one, believe both books are pure fiction. Although they teach some good moral values, and help people deal with hard times.
Why do you call yourself a Jew? What is Jewish about you?
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2010 10:03:04 AM
At 10/30/2010 8:26:58 AM, Mirza wrote:

I descend from thousands of years of rich and beautiful culture. The strong family/social structure and the morals/values that Judaism teaches is to what I attribute my happiness and success in life. Although, just the fact that my parents(actually just my mother would suffice) are Jewish is sufficient.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2010 10:28:29 AM
At 10/30/2010 8:26:58 AM, Mirza wrote:

Social club.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2010 10:29:31 AM
At 10/30/2010 10:03:04 AM, gavin.ogden wrote:
I descend from thousands of years of rich and beautiful culture. The strong family/social structure and the morals/values that Judaism teaches is to what I attribute my happiness and success in life. Although, just the fact that my parents(actually just my mother would suffice) are Jewish is sufficient.
That does not make you a Jew.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2010 10:40:33 AM
At 10/30/2010 10:29:31 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 10/30/2010 10:03:04 AM, gavin.ogden wrote:
That does not make you a Jew.

What makes a Jew? In your infinite wisdom that you have derived over all 16 of your years, please enliighten me as to what would, in fact, make me a Jew.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2010 10:42:50 AM
At 10/30/2010 10:40:33 AM, gavin.ogden wrote:
What makes a Jew? In your infinite wisdom that you have derived over all 16 of your years, please enliighten me as to what would, in fact, make me a Jew.
It is irrelevant. I am talking about you, and you reject the Jewish scriptures. You are not a Jew.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2010 10:45:28 AM
Imho Jews are unique in their classification. Whereas Judaism denotes a religion, Jews are more an identity that is comprised of ethnicity, religion and tradition - in this they are different than others with religious labels. A Jew will always be considered a Jew by others, and within themselves, whereas others can deviate from their religion without much question.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2010 10:50:27 AM
At 10/30/2010 10:42:50 AM, Mirza wrote:
It is irrelevant. I am talking about you, and you reject the Jewish scriptures. You are not a Jew.

So, are you saying that one must believe in all the scriptures to belong to a certain faith? By the way, who are you to make such a statement? You have no frame of reference, and from what I can tell, are probably anti semetic and have the maturity level of a(drum roll please) 16 year old boy. The apple does not fall too far from the tree, I'm sure.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2010 10:55:27 AM
So, are you saying that one must believe in all the scriptures to belong to a certain faith?
Yes and I'd agree. well, all the scriptures of that faith. That's kind of the point of faith.Not only do you have to believe, it has to be without evidence or it's not faith.

By the way, who are you to make such a statement?
Ad hominem.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2010 10:56:27 AM
At 10/30/2010 10:50:27 AM, gavin.ogden wrote:

So, are you saying that one must believe in all the scriptures to belong to a certain faith? By the way, who are you to make such a statement? You have no frame of reference, and from what I can tell, are probably anti semetic and have the maturity level of a(drum roll please) 16 year old boy. The apple does not fall too far from the tree, I'm sure.

You reject every aspect of your core scripture, that mean you are not a Jew in the religious context. You may be a Jew in ethnic or cultural terms, but you are not a true member of the Jewish faith. You don't have faith. Mirza said nothing anti-semitic or immature, however you did.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2010 11:00:20 AM
So, are you saying that one must believe in all the scriptures to belong to a certain faith?
Yes, depending of which religion it is and which scriptures belong to it.

By the way, who are you to make such a statement?
I am expressing my objective opinions on the matter.

You have no frame of reference, and from what I can tell, are probably anti semetic and have the maturity level of a(drum roll please) 16 year old boy.
Which part of my profile says I am antisemitic?

The apple does not fall too far from the tree, I'm sure.
Not if you pick it.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2010 11:27:00 AM
At 10/30/2010 10:56:27 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

You reject every aspect of your core scripture, that mean you are not a Jew in the religious context. You may be a Jew in ethnic or cultural terms, but you are not a true member of the Jewish faith. You don't have faith. Mirza said nothing anti-semitic or immature, however you did.

Yes I did. I am no better than either of you, however, "You are not a Jew." does not denote an oppinion, but fact. The fact is that Mirza stated his oppinion as fact. I choose to interpret the torah in terms of symbolism, rather than in a literal sense. These stories have no factual basis, therefore, they serve more as life lessons. Some are so fantastic, that in MY OPPINION, one would be a complete fool to take them literally. Also, I have read many posts from Mirza, and while I have not seen anything blatantly antisemetic, it is my oppinion that he does not view US with very high esteem. I agree that my Judaism is of more a culturistic nature than religious, but I still have FAITH that the teachings of Judaism are just and good. I am a Jew, Mirza. You MAY one day understand that statements made should have at least some basis. I am not atheist, or agnostic, and I certainly have not invented my own form of religion.