Total Posts:14|Showing Posts:1-14
Jump to topic:

Put up or SHUT UP!

Redfordnutt
Posts: 222
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2016 9:10:42 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Either prove a God exists or stop claiming one does. Religion needs to be critiqued in the same fashion we would critique any other hypothesis. Seems a lot of religions get a "free pass" in many cultures due to people not wanting to offend (I hate this word because of its subjectivity) other peoples opinions.
Sophisto
Posts: 121
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2016 9:59:18 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/28/2016 9:10:42 PM, Redfordnutt wrote:
Either prove a God exists or stop claiming one does. Religion needs to be critiqued in the same fashion we would critique any other hypothesis. Seems a lot of religions get a "free pass" in many cultures due to people not wanting to offend (I hate this word because of its subjectivity) other peoples opinions.
-----------------------------------------------------
Sophisto: Atheism has its free pass with evading the burden of proof. So...I would advise you to put your money where your mouth is. Hypocrite. Amateur. I am not here to defend God or prove him to exist. That ship sailed two millennia ago. Adapt or die. I prefer to turn evolution on itself, the most efficient method for testing any claim. Self-immunity. Does atheism have that? Beware of positive claims; you will be required to support them, even if you are not accustomed to being burdened.
Redfordnutt
Posts: 222
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2016 10:10:44 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/28/2016 9:59:18 PM, Sophisto wrote:
At 1/28/2016 9:10:42 PM, Redfordnutt wrote:
Either prove a God exists or stop claiming one does. Religion needs to be critiqued in the same fashion we would critique any other hypothesis. Seems a lot of religions get a "free pass" in many cultures due to people not wanting to offend (I hate this word because of its subjectivity) other peoples opinions.
-----------------------------------------------------
Sophisto: Atheism has its free pass with evading the burden of proof. So...I would advise you to put your money where your mouth is. Hypocrite. Amateur. I am not here to defend God or prove him to exist. That ship sailed two millennia ago. Adapt or die. I prefer to turn evolution on itself, the most efficient method for testing any claim. Self-immunity. Does atheism have that? Beware of positive claims; you will be required to support them, even if you are not accustomed to being burdened.

Atheism makes no truth claims, so to say that it needs address its burden of proof is almost, sorry to say, idiotic.
Sophisto
Posts: 121
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2016 10:15:19 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
That's not what I wrote, illiterate. I explicitly wrote IF you take it upon yourself to become overconfident and overreach, be prepared to adapt to your comfort zone. I also anticipated your assumption in my first line of the paragraph. Learn to read.
Redfordnutt
Posts: 222
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2016 10:20:53 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/28/2016 10:15:19 PM, Sophisto wrote:
That's not what I wrote, illiterate. I explicitly wrote IF you take it upon yourself to become overconfident and overreach, be prepared to adapt to your comfort zone. I also anticipated your assumption in my first line of the paragraph. Learn to read.

Well that comment has tones of condescension.
Redfordnutt
Posts: 222
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2016 10:24:53 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/28/2016 9:59:18 PM, Sophisto wrote:
At 1/28/2016 9:10:42 PM, Redfordnutt wrote:
Either prove a God exists or stop claiming one does. Religion needs to be critiqued in the same fashion we would critique any other hypothesis. Seems a lot of religions get a "free pass" in many cultures due to people not wanting to offend (I hate this word because of its subjectivity) other peoples opinions.
-----------------------------------------------------
Sophisto: Atheism has its free pass with evading the burden of proof. So...I would advise you to put your money where your mouth is. Hypocrite. Amateur. I am not here to defend God or prove him to exist. That ship sailed two millennia ago. Adapt or die. I prefer to turn evolution on itself, the most efficient method for testing any claim. Self-immunity. Does atheism have that? Beware of positive claims; you will be required to support them, even if you are not accustomed to being burdened.

Classic switching of the burden of proof. If you claim a God exists you need to Provide evidence that supports your claim. If you don't wish to provide evidence I see no point in continuing this conversation.
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2016 10:32:51 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/28/2016 9:10:42 PM, Redfordnutt wrote:
Either prove a God exists or stop claiming one does. Religion needs to be critiqued in the same fashion we would critique any other hypothesis. Seems a lot of religions get a "free pass" in many cultures due to people not wanting to offend (I hate this word because of its subjectivity) other peoples opinions.

Most world religions date from a time when critical thought was weaker, public acceptance less discerning, and the burden of authentication, evidence and falsification was near nonexistent. So religious ideas get 'grandfathered in' by tradition, while if similar ideas were proposed today some wouldn't even be entertained because they're not actually valid enough to test.

Meanwhile, some 70% of people of faith inherit the faith of a parent. So both socially and developmentally, we're not unbiased about the way we accept questionable ideas. Psychologically and socially, we tend to embrace the traditions we grow up with on any pretext, even if they're outdated or outright wrong.
graceofgod
Posts: 5,104
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2016 11:00:27 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/28/2016 9:10:42 PM, Redfordnutt wrote:
Either prove a God exists or stop claiming one does. Religion needs to be critiqued in the same fashion we would critique any other hypothesis. Seems a lot of religions get a "free pass" in many cultures due to people not wanting to offend (I hate this word because of its subjectivity) other peoples opinions.

can i add, Evolution put up or shut up...

the big bang, put up or shut up...

alien visitors put up or shut up...

intelligent atheists put up or shut up...

i'm sure there are a few more...
bulproof
Posts: 25,308
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2016 11:45:13 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/28/2016 11:00:27 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 1/28/2016 9:10:42 PM, Redfordnutt wrote:
Either prove a God exists or stop claiming one does. Religion needs to be critiqued in the same fashion we would critique any other hypothesis. Seems a lot of religions get a "free pass" in many cultures due to people not wanting to offend (I hate this word because of its subjectivity) other peoples opinions.

can i add, Evolution put up or shut up...
Done and done
the big bang, put up or shut up...
Pretty close to done.
alien visitors put up or shut up...
That would be your fantasy to support.
intelligent atheists put up or shut up...
Done and done. Especially on this forum, that's why you lot are always so angry.
i'm sure there are a few more...
You bring 'em and I'll keep hittin' 'em outa the park.
bulproof
Posts: 25,308
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2016 11:47:22 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/28/2016 9:59:18 PM, Sophisto wrote:
At 1/28/2016 9:10:42 PM, Redfordnutt wrote:
Either prove a God exists or stop claiming one does. Religion needs to be critiqued in the same fashion we would critique any other hypothesis. Seems a lot of religions get a "free pass" in many cultures due to people not wanting to offend (I hate this word because of its subjectivity) other peoples opinions.
-----------------------------------------------------
Sophisto: Atheism has its free pass with evading the burden of proof. So...I would advise you to put your money where your mouth is. Hypocrite. Amateur. I am not here to defend God or prove him to exist. That ship sailed two millennia ago. Adapt or die. I prefer to turn evolution on itself, the most efficient method for testing any claim. Self-immunity. Does atheism have that? Beware of positive claims; you will be required to support them, even if you are not accustomed to being burdened.

Atheism has no burden of proof, all of the proof we need is supplied by theists ie none.
graceofgod
Posts: 5,104
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 5:26:53 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/28/2016 11:45:13 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/28/2016 11:00:27 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 1/28/2016 9:10:42 PM, Redfordnutt wrote:
Either prove a God exists or stop claiming one does. Religion needs to be critiqued in the same fashion we would critique any other hypothesis. Seems a lot of religions get a "free pass" in many cultures due to people not wanting to offend (I hate this word because of its subjectivity) other peoples opinions.

can i add, Evolution put up or shut up...
Done and done
the big bang, put up or shut up...
Pretty close to done.
alien visitors put up or shut up...
That would be your fantasy to support.
intelligent atheists put up or shut up...
Done and done. Especially on this forum, that's why you lot are always so angry.
i'm sure there are a few more...
You bring 'em and I'll keep hittin' 'em outa the park.

lol just because you say they are done..lol

so show me evidence that will prove the list above beyond all doubt....lol
DPMartin
Posts: 1,096
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 5:57:45 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/28/2016 9:10:42 PM, Redfordnutt wrote:
Either prove a God exists or stop claiming one does. Religion needs to be critiqued in the same fashion we would critique any other hypothesis. Seems a lot of religions get a "free pass" in many cultures due to people not wanting to offend (I hate this word because of its subjectivity) other peoples opinions.

Well it"s like this, in the case of the Lord God of Israel in the name of Jesus Christ the Son of God, one has to first acknowledge Jesus Christ as the Son of God and one"s Salvation, and ask Jesus Christ to be one"s savior, and request that one"s self be born of the Holy Spirit or baptized in the Holy Spirit, however one might want to say it and if one"s prayer or heart that God sees like you see another"s face, is genuine in God"s sight, then He will honor genuine Faith and acknowledgment in Him and in the name of His Son.

What was lost is the faith, therefore if He see no faith no belief then that"s not what God is looking for in man nor does He entertain it. No one proves God, God proves man to be faithful or have faith or not.

That"s how it works, it"s not a lab experiment, or proof of words. In the case of the True and Living God it"s to know His Presence in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. So the Truth is between you and the Lord God, not between men.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 6:48:25 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/29/2016 5:57:45 PM, DPMartin wrote:
At 1/28/2016 9:10:42 PM, Redfordnutt wrote:
Either prove a God exists or stop claiming one does. Religion needs to be critiqued in the same fashion we would critique any other hypothesis. Seems a lot of religions get a "free pass" in many cultures due to people not wanting to offend (I hate this word because of its subjectivity) other peoples opinions.

Well it"s like this, in the case of the Lord God of Israel in the name of Jesus Christ the Son of God, one has to first acknowledge Jesus Christ as the Son of God and one"s Salvation, and ask Jesus Christ to be one"s savior, and request that one"s self be born of the Holy Spirit or baptized in the Holy Spirit, however one might want to say it and if one"s prayer or heart that God sees like you see another"s face, is genuine in God"s sight, then He will honor genuine Faith and acknowledgment in Him and in the name of His Son.

What was lost is the faith, therefore if He see no faith no belief then that"s not what God is looking for in man nor does He entertain it.

The puerility of that is evident, to think that one of God's most important expectations from mankind is one of belief in the god, preposterously as silly as it is illogical. It only serves to cause confusion, conflict and coercion, which an omniscience god would know. Our senses and brains operate entirely based on the physical world, requiring evidence, understanding and knowledge of the world around us in order to function and survive. If God created us that way, he would know that and would be remiss in his deliberation of creating us that way if instead, he demanded faith and belief in the invisible and undetectable.

No one proves God, God proves man to be faithful or have faith or not.

That"s how it works, it"s not a lab experiment, or proof of words. In the case of the True and Living God it"s to know His Presence in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. So the Truth is between you and the Lord God, not between men.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
DPMartin
Posts: 1,096
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 8:06:21 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/29/2016 6:48:25 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 1/29/2016 5:57:45 PM, DPMartin wrote:
At 1/28/2016 9:10:42 PM, Redfordnutt wrote:
Either prove a God exists or stop claiming one does. Religion needs to be critiqued in the same fashion we would critique any other hypothesis. Seems a lot of religions get a "free pass" in many cultures due to people not wanting to offend (I hate this word because of its subjectivity) other peoples opinions.

Well it"s like this, in the case of the Lord God of Israel in the name of Jesus Christ the Son of God, one has to first acknowledge Jesus Christ as the Son of God and one"s Salvation, and ask Jesus Christ to be one"s savior, and request that one"s self be born of the Holy Spirit or baptized in the Holy Spirit, however one might want to say it and if one"s prayer or heart that God sees like you see another"s face, is genuine in God"s sight, then He will honor genuine Faith and acknowledgment in Him and in the name of His Son.

What was lost is the faith, therefore if He see no faith no belief then that"s not what God is looking for in man nor does He entertain it.

The puerility of that is evident, to think that one of God's most important expectations from mankind is one of belief in the god, preposterously as silly as it is illogical. It only serves to cause confusion, conflict and coercion, which an omniscience god would know. Our senses and brains operate entirely based on the physical world, requiring evidence, understanding and knowledge of the world around us in order to function and survive. If God created us that way, he would know that and would be remiss in his deliberation of creating us that way if instead, he demanded faith and belief in the invisible and undetectable.

As far as child like, yes, one would expect a father"s child to treat the father like a child would. It"s no more preposterous than a child trusting and believing and obeying their parent as a trusting and loving child. Which might be preposterous to the rebellious or wicked child, but not to the non-rebellious, Correct? Hence born of the Holy Spirit, and a child thereof. So to receive that which is of God is done God"s Way according to His satisfaction.

And if your brain, as you put it, can"t absorb or perceive the concept of parent child trust or father son trust that much of the human population experiences on a daily basis even without the knowledge of God, then that could be a personal problem on your part. Because most of the world's population understands trust in a family unit that includes parent child relationships.

And the truth is, trust is invisible and so is the expectation therein, which is clear, it's the fulfillment of the expectation that is trusted for, that doesn"t require faith anymore.