Jump to topic:

Does This Describe Atheism Correctly?

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 5:40:09 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
"I think that when I die I'll cease to exist, and in some ways I'm happy about that." Life is hard work." Life is good, worthy work that I'm proud of and that makes me feel good, for the most part, but even though I'll probably be sad to die (and I'd hate to think I was about to die any time soon), I'm still glad, in principle, that some day life will cease, and my burdens will dissolve with my joys." I don't want to live forever."

-Unknown

www.theatlantic.com/daily-dish/archive/2010/05/what-do-atheists-think-of-death/187003
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 5:41:47 PM
At 1/29/2016 5:40:09 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
"I think that when I die I'll cease to exist, and in some ways I'm happy about that." Life is hard work." Life is good, worthy work that I'm proud of and that makes me feel good, for the most part, but even though I'll probably be sad to die (and I'd hate to think I was about to die any time soon), I'm still glad, in principle, that some day life will cease, and my burdens will dissolve with my joys." I don't want to live forever."

-Unknown

www.theatlantic.com/daily-dish/archive/2010/05/what-do-atheists-think-of-death/187003

It describes it for the person who was saying it. Atheists are individuals with individual beliefs about life and what comes after so one cannot generalize about them any more than one can accurately generalize about all theists.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 5:48:20 PM
"I think that when I die I'll cease to exist, and in some ways I'm happy about that.

Atheism makes no claims about an afterlife. There are actually some atheists that believe that an afterlife does exist.

" Life is hard work." Life is good, worthy work that I'm proud of and that makes me feel good, for the most part, but even though I'll probably be sad to die (and I'd hate to think I was about to die any time soon), I'm still glad, in principle, that some day life will cease, and my burdens will dissolve with my joys." I don't want to live forever."

Atheism has no intrinsic system of value or intrinsic system of wants and desires.

-Unknown

None of this represents atheism. It represents what SOME atheists believe, but not atheism itself.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 5:56:16 PM

-Unknown

Meh? Sort of but not really.

What gives mortality (life) value is that its not infinite. What value would anything have in a situation in which its simply only a matter of an inexhaustible resources to obtain?

Tot wit: anything you want in life will cost a penny. Anything. And, conversely, pennies are just like they are now. Literally, people throw them in wishing wells and you find them in parking lots just laying around.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 5:58:56 PM
At 1/29/2016 5:48:20 PM, SNP1 wrote:
"I think that when I die I'll cease to exist, and in some ways I'm happy about that.

Atheism makes no claims about an afterlife. There are actually some atheists that believe that an afterlife does exist.

" Life is hard work." Life is good, worthy work that I'm proud of and that makes me feel good, for the most part, but even though I'll probably be sad to die (and I'd hate to think I was about to die any time soon), I'm still glad, in principle, that some day life will cease, and my burdens will dissolve with my joys." I don't want to live forever."

Atheism has no intrinsic system of value or intrinsic system of wants and desires.

-Unknown

None of this represents atheism. It represents what SOME atheists believe, but not atheism itself.

What is a general premise to an Atheist's thinking who believes in an afterlife?
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 6:00:16 PM

-Unknown

This is stupid, likely the guy is denial he will cease to exist, and thinks of it as going to sleep. Any atheist who doesn't have some sort of blockage in their brain is either scared of death of ceasing to exist, or they are retarded or liars.

The whole reason religion exists is to help people avoid this fear. It is hard for the human mind to deal with.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 6:01:59 PM
At 1/29/2016 5:58:56 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

-Unknown

What is a general premise to an Atheist's thinking who believes in an afterlife?

Maybe we live in a computer program that can't quite erase us. It could be a million different premises
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 6:04:19 PM
At 1/29/2016 6:00:16 PM, Wylted wrote:

-Unknown

This is stupid, likely the guy is denial he will cease to exist, and thinks of it as going to sleep. Any atheist who doesn't have some sort of blockage in their brain is either scared of death of ceasing to exist, or they are retarded or liars.

The whole reason religion exists is to help people avoid this fear. It is hard for the human mind to deal with.

Dude, you need to get out of that closed room and get some oxygen to your brain. Seriously, you're beginning to worry me.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 6:08:18 PM
For all that the fear of death is common, and the desire to defer death is psychologically understandable, I do not believe yearning for eternal life is wise, logically coherent, altruistic or morally sound.

As other members have pointed out, the rejection of gods has diverse and individual rationale, so not every atheist will agree with me. However, I think the position quoted is not unusual.

And not all religions promise a life after death in the first place. In the faiths that do, I think even the religious doubt their own dogma regarding eternal life, at times.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 6:18:44 PM
At 1/29/2016 6:04:19 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 1/29/2016 6:00:16 PM, Wylted wrote:

-Unknown

Dude, you need to get out of that closed room and get some oxygen to your brain. Seriously, you're beginning to worry me.

If I leave the room I increase the likelihood of my death. I could get hit by a car or even a tornadoe with no shelter to protect me.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 6:19:51 PM

-Unknown

I have no problem with living forever, it would be interesting to watch the universe unfold and see what happens to mankind.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 8:53:19 PM
At 1/29/2016 6:19:51 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

-Unknown

I have no problem with living forever, it would be interesting to watch the universe unfold and see what happens to mankind.

Do you think man will make it much further or destroy that possibility?

Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 9:59:53 PM

-Unknown

Christians go a step further then reality, they say when we die we go to heaven or hell. Typical christians thinking they have the answers for everything. It's straight up presumptuous and rude to think you can answer , or begin to explain. What happens when you die?
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 10:21:57 PM

-Unknown

This question makes no sense.
All atheism is is the lack of belief in a god(s).
The premise to any atheists thinking about an afterlife can vary vast amounts, so much that asking what the general premise to atheists thinking in anything is a nonsensical question.
It is like asking someone that lacks a cellphone their opinion on communication. There is still A LOT of views they can hold about it. SO many different possible views that one cannot pin down a good "general" view.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 10:22:30 PM
At 1/29/2016 9:59:53 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

-Unknown

Christians go a step further then reality, they say when we die we go to heaven or hell. Typical christians thinking they have the answers for everything. It's straight up presumptuous and rude to think you can answer , or begin to explain. What happens when you die?

If I were you I'd be cremated and have my ashes scattered. You could come back as a ficus. In your treeness, a guy with a hatchet will chop you down, shred you, and turn you into paper. Then you will have the Bible printed on you.

Calm down. It's not a big deal.

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 11:25:08 PM
At 1/29/2016 10:21:57 PM, SNP1 wrote:

-Unknown

The premise to any atheists thinking about an afterlife can vary vast amounts, so much that asking what the general premise to atheists thinking in anything is a nonsensical question.
It is like asking someone that lacks a cellphone their opinion on communication. There is still A LOT of views they can hold about it. SO many different possible views that one cannot pin down a good "general" view.

But you do believe in god(s)

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 11:34:33 PM

-Unknown

As an Atheist you believe in palentology, therefor you do believe in gods.

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 11:35:17 PM
Chaos (mythology)
In Greek mythology, Chaos (Greek: ]5;^0;_9;`2;), the primeval void, was the first thing which existed. According to Hesiod,[1] "at first Chaos came to be"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...(mythology)

-After Big Bang there was Chaos

http://www.space.com...

----------

Scientist finds the Kraken

http://www.dailymail.co.uk...

The Kraken

---- ---- ---- ----

Nephilim finds

Nephilim found in Ohio

http://tnephilim.blogspot.com...

Nephilim found in Afghanistan

http://beforeitsnews.com...

Nephilim found in Peru

http://thetruthwins.com...

Nephilim found in Wisconsin

www.southmilwaukeenow.com/blogs/communityblogs/187467521.html?lc=Smart

-Who were the Nephilim

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

-The Nephilim and Satan

---- ---- ---- ----
"The Walking Whale"

Ambulocetus and Rotocetus

http://www.amnh.org...

The Science of Ambulocetus Rodhocetus

-Whale Mythology from around the World

China

Yu-kiang

The ancient Chinese believed that a strange mythological figure, Yu-kiang, held sway over the sea. This dragon-riding water deity had the body of a fish but the hands and feet of a human being. It was not a true fish, however, but a kuan, a huge whale several thousand li long that came from the Northern Sea and could walk. Sometimes the monstrous kuan got angry, and when it did it turned into a gigantic bird (p'eng), whipping up terrible storms as it emerged aborve the ocean surface (M. SoymiA533;, in P. Grimal, 1963)

Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 11:36:18 PM
At 1/29/2016 11:25:08 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

-Unknown

No?
Casten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 11:37:25 PM

There will be no deities in this afterlife? I don't know. Weird question.

Honestly, I've met all of one atheist who said she believed in an afterlife (if reincarnation counts). So... yeah, I guess that's afterlife minus God/gods.
Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 11:40:15 PM
At 1/29/2016 11:35:17 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Chaos (mythology)
In Greek mythology, Chaos (Greek: ]5;^0;_9;`2;), the primeval void, was the first thing which existed. According to Hesiod,[1] "at first Chaos came to be"

How man bloody times do I have to say atheists don't believe in mythology? The Big Bang is just an event, no one's worshiping it.

The Kraken

The sea is mostly unexplored, so wouldn't be surprising if this is true, doesn't mean it's the Kraken of legend.

Nephilim finds

Nephilim found in Ohio

Nephilim found in Peru

-Who were the Nephilim

-The Nephilim and Satan

Again, completely unverified by experts.
"The Walking Whale"

China

Yu-kiang

The ancient Chinese believed that a strange mythological figure, Yu-kiang, held sway over the sea. This dragon-riding water deity had the body of a fish but the hands and feet of a human being. It was not a true fish, however, but a kuan, a huge whale several thousand li long that came from the Northern Sea and could walk. Sometimes the monstrous kuan got angry, and when it did it turned into a gigantic bird (p'eng), whipping up terrible storms as it emerged aborve the ocean surface (M. SoymiA533;, in P. Grimal, 1963)

lol
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 11:40:28 PM
At 1/29/2016 11:36:18 PM, Torton wrote:
At 1/29/2016 11:25:08 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

-Unknown

No?

You do.believe in gods as I showed above. Atheists believe in more mythological creatures than just about anyone. See above. I proved it!

(Kidding of course)

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 11:41:47 PM
At 1/29/2016 11:40:15 PM, Torton wrote:
Chaos (mythology)

How man bloody times do I have to say atheists don't believe in mythology? The Big Bang is just an event, no one's worshiping it.

The Kraken

The sea is mostly unexplored, so wouldn't be surprising if this is true, doesn't mean it's the Kraken of legend.

Nephilim finds

Nephilim found in Ohio

Nephilim found in Peru

-Who were the Nephilim

-The Nephilim and Satan

"The Walking Whale"

China

Yu-kiang

lol

Really? Do want me to prove that you do worship the big bang?

Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 11:43:30 PM
At 1/29/2016 11:41:47 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Chaos (mythology)

The Kraken

Nephilim finds

Nephilim found in Ohio

Nephilim found in Peru

-Who were the Nephilim

-The Nephilim and Satan

"The Walking Whale"

China

Yu-kiang

lol

You can't, because I don't, but feel free to try.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 11:49:13 PM
At 1/29/2016 11:43:30 PM, Torton wrote:
Chaos (mythology)

The Kraken

Nephilim finds

Nephilim found in Ohio

Nephilim found in Peru

-Who were the Nephilim

-The Nephilim and Satan

"The Walking Whale"

China

Yu-kiang

lol

No? But you do fine fellow. Observe below.

Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 11:53:53 PM
At 1/29/2016 11:49:13 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Chaos (mythology)

The Kraken

Nephilim finds

Nephilim found in Ohio

Nephilim found in Peru

-Who were the Nephilim

-The Nephilim and Satan

"The Walking Whale"

China

Yu-kiang

lol

Waiting for something [hopefully] substantial, but probably won't be.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 12:05:46 AM
At 1/29/2016 11:53:53 PM, Torton wrote:
At 1/29/2016 11:49:13 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Chaos (mythology)

The Kraken

Nephilim finds

Nephilim found in Ohio

Nephilim found in Peru

-Who were the Nephilim

-The Nephilim and Satan

"The Walking Whale"

China

Yu-kiang

lol

Waiting for something [hopefully] substantial, but probably won't be.

Do not underestimate. Here ya go.

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 12:06:09 AM
People who worship the big bang

https://mobile.twitter.com...

Torton worships the Big Bang

http://www.tortonworshipsbigbang.com...

Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 12:12:28 AM
At 1/30/2016 12:06:09 AM, brontoraptor wrote:

LOL! A few idiots on twitter and a fictional website is not substantial.
Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 12:20:56 AM
At 1/30/2016 12:12:28 AM, Torton wrote:
At 1/30/2016 12:06:09 AM, brontoraptor wrote:

LOL! A few idiots on twitter and a fictional website is not substantial.
I will admit thought Big Bangers almost made me chuckle.