brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 7:27:46 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
You"ll Be Excreted

http://whatculture.com...

One theory that has been around for decades is that the universe is actually just a giant brain. It could be just one brain in one being, or the universe could be a brain in a vat, surrounded by other brains. That would make our solar system similar to a brain cell, making us an insignificant speck to the brain. Everything in human history is nothing more than a microscopic blip in the grand scheme of things.
What does it matter what death means on that scale? Well, since it"s an integral part of our life, it is important to humans to understand.
What happens if we are just part of a brain? Well, the same thing that happens with dead cells, humans excrete them through the waste we create. So, once you die, your consciousness would be used up and then pushed out of the universe, into wherever the Universe puts its waste. Where or what is that? Well, that"s just too mind boggling (and possibly too depressing) to contemplate.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 7:31:32 PM
My favorite crackpot theory is that this is just a simulation that an unknown race of super intelligent beings apparently created (and is maintaining?), or that simulations that are apparently this complex are so common that our's is run by just some random guy going about his day, same as we are.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 7:37:19 PM
At 1/29/2016 7:31:32 PM, Torton wrote:
My favorite crackpot theory is that this is just a simulation that an unknown race of super intelligent beings apparently created (and is maintaining?), or that simulations that are apparently this complex are so common that our's is run by just some random guy going about his day, same as we are.

We aren't far off from being able to create human level AI. We also run simulations to understand our universe better on a daily basis. Why do you think that a race of intelligent beings with the capability to do so, wouldn't create simulations? Especially when us who are ten years out from doing so create simulations on a daily basis?
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 7:48:57 PM

I had seen one that said our future grandchildren created a history simulator to see what we were like.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 7:50:30 PM
At 1/29/2016 7:37:19 PM, Wylted wrote:

We aren't far off from being able to create human level AI. We also run simulations to understand our universe better on a daily basis.
It's less of an achievement in human A.I., and more of the fact that such a simulation would need to be running 7 billion at once, and all of which with consciousness, especially if that was by design. You have to admit, that's a pretty bizarre idea.
Why do you think that a race of intelligent beings with the capability to do so, wouldn't create simulations? Especially when us who are ten years out from doing so create simulations on a daily basis?
They would, but I don't think a race of super intelligent being exists. At the end of the day, it's possible, but I don't think it's likely.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 7:53:46 PM
At 1/29/2016 7:50:30 PM, Torton wrote:

We aren't far off from being able to create human level AI. We also run simulations to understand our universe better on a daily basis.
It's less of an achievement in human A.I., and more of the fact that such a simulation would need to be running 7 billion at once, and all of which with consciousness, especially if that was by design. You have to admit, that's a pretty bizarre idea.

You could get away with just 12 consciousnesses and fill the world with philosophical zombies. Really you cpuld get away with one consciousness if you wanted to.
Why do you think that a race of intelligent beings with the capability to do so, wouldn't create simulations? Especially when us who are ten years out from doing so create simulations on a daily basis?
They would, but I don't think a race of super intelligent being exists. At the end of the day, it's possible, but I don't think it's likely.

Why not? If we're close to doing it ourselves, we must consider the possibility, and a simulation is the perfect explanation for fermi's paradox
Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 8:10:58 PM
At 1/29/2016 7:53:46 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 1/29/2016 7:50:30 PM, Torton wrote:

You could get away with just 12 consciousnesses and fill the world with philosophical zombies. Really you cpuld get away with one consciousness if you wanted to.
So solipsism? That's just a terrible idea, especially since there's no real way to prove it, A.I. or not.

Why not? If we're close to doing it ourselves, we must consider the possibility, and a simulation is the perfect explanation for fermi's paradox
Consider the possibility, sure, but don't weight it more than it should be (Occam's razor).