Jump to topic:

Celebrating All Hallows Eve?

brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 6:28:06 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
So how do you Americans celebrate Halloween? Bigger and brasher than us over here in Britain it seems:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...

I'm surprised that it is such a big deal because this a pagan festival that precedes All Saints Day (hence "All Hallows Eve") and most people in the United States are practicing, if not devout, Christians.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 7:16:47 AM
At 10/29/2010 6:28:06 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
So how do you Americans celebrate Halloween? Bigger and brasher than us over here in Britain it seems:

I'm surprised that it is such a big deal because this a pagan festival that precedes All Saints Day (hence "All Hallows Eve") and most people in the United States are practicing, if not devout, Christians.

You underestimate Americans' love for partying/celebration.

I mean, we also use Catholicism as an excuse to have a week-long orgy in the South every Spring, too.

In essence, there's nothing religious about it.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 7:43:24 AM
pffft nothing about jesus is negated by free candy. the ritual seems to exemplify the whole "love thy neighbor" thing.

also, its sad, because pretty much everyone in my house is too old to go trick or treating now :(
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 8:40:44 AM

Our culture shows surprisingly little Christian influence these days. Most people claim to be Christian, but it seems to be a cultural title instead of a religious one. If someone acts on their religion, or actually practices it, they are looked on with surprise and a little disdain.

Halloween is no problem for cultural Christians; those that actually believe and practice Christianity tend to avoid it.

(NOTE: The above is merely from my observation. I don't know of a poll, study, or survey that I can link to in support for this; at least, not right away, haven't looked for one yet.)
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 8:43:28 AM
Lol last year we were short a halloween bucket so my bro had to carry around an easter one.
Mom loved it cause we were using a "jesus bucket" on a "satanic holiday"
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 8:46:57 AM
there can be religiousness added back to it, you have the traditions there to just start practicing again. Such going to church in costume for the Halloween service and taking your mask off at the door as symbolic of removing your veil that god see's through anyway at the door.

I actually think Halloween would be a prime time to start preaching and teaching and singing about the second coming of Christ. you see on the church calender the year kind of follows a cycle of Christ birth through to his death. starting Christmas working its way to Easter. however you have two seasons of ordinary time one of which goes right through Halloween http://www.crivoice.org.... seeing as during communion we all say 'Christ died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again' and the first half of that is covered on the church calender with high importance that the last part should be too. We are not focused on anything in particular in October, why not make that 'kingdom come' season. it would make for a smooth full year cycle that compliments each others season. you move from advent, to Easter, and then to rapture (I guess thats what it would be called.); birth, death/resurrection, his return.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 8:49:39 AM
If the seasons complimented each other and it went smoothly, it would be demonic.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 8:50:20 AM
At 10/29/2010 8:43:28 AM, lovelife wrote:
Lol last year we were short a halloween bucket so my bro had to carry around an easter one.

I didn't know that giving food to children was satanic? I'm going down to the children's shelter to give them devil worshipers a piece of my mind! lol

Personally, at my age, I can't go trick or treating (once I have a kid, I'll have an excuse again), so we just party (will have to get some pictures tonight).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 8:58:11 AM
Isn't this C_N's big night? Children coming to his door looking for candy - does it get better than that? Hardly any work involved at all.
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 9:00:17 AM
Mrauder, I thought there was a feast celebrating the return; I guess I'm wrong. I'm going to have to go look it up now...
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 9:02:17 AM
At 10/29/2010 9:00:17 AM, Chrysippus wrote:
Mrauder, I thought there was a feast celebrating the return; I guess I'm wrong. I'm going to have to go look it up now...

It is, a feast of fun sized candy bars.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 9:02:43 AM
At 10/29/2010 8:58:11 AM, innomen wrote:
Isn't this C_N's big night? Children coming to his door looking for candy - does it get better than that? Hardly any work involved at all.

lol
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 9:04:02 AM
At 10/29/2010 8:49:39 AM, lovelife wrote:
If the seasons complimented each other and it went smoothly, it would be demonic.

What?!
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 9:04:41 AM
At 10/29/2010 8:50:20 AM, OreEle wrote:
At 10/29/2010 8:43:28 AM, lovelife wrote:

I didn't know that giving food to children was satanic? I'm going down to the children's shelter to give them devil worshipers a piece of my mind! lol

Its what she said. She says she's a true christian but loves the satanic holiday. (lol its only satanic because the dead come back......guess who came back from the dead? Is god satanic? :p)

Personally, at my age, I can't go trick or treating (once I have a kid, I'll have an excuse again), so we just party (will have to get some pictures tonight).

Lol I have no idea what I want to do. I don't even have a costume yet. I'm thinking I'll be a witch tho cause everyone calls me a witch. I think I'll go trick or treating with the kids, or I'll stay at home eati-- I mean passing out candy.

Lol that is true.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 9:04:57 AM

No, that's his usual Sunday night. He always has candy to lure children into his house... What he should be excited about is the costumes... I mean, *ahem* role-play?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 9:05:07 AM

I'm at a crazy party university, and honestly, I'm gonna be home this weekend so as to avoid the drunkards and sluts and sexual diseases that are walking around. I also am judging a debate tournament; I'm going to be more productive with my time personally. Everyone else (that I know) usually just parties till their throat burns.
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 9:05:52 AM
At 10/29/2010 9:04:02 AM, Ren wrote:

What?!

Its a pagan concept, so it is demonic. Easter and Christmas of course are exempt from becoming demonic by these means.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 9:07:08 AM
At 10/29/2010 9:00:17 AM, Chrysippus wrote:

what day of the year is it, and what is it called? whatever location it is on the calender http://www.crivoice.org... I bet it doesn't have as much time given to it as Christmas or Easter. Christmas has Advent to prepare for that celebration and Easter has Lent.

A Scout is Obedient.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 9:08:29 AM
At 10/29/2010 9:05:07 AM, m93samman wrote:

I'm at a crazy party university, and honestly, I'm gonna be home this weekend so as to avoid the drunkards and sluts and sexual diseases that are walking around. I also am judging a debate tournament; I'm going to be more productive with my time personally. Everyone else (that I know) usually just parties till their throat burns.

Nah I have never seen that.
I went to a couple school dances for halloween, go trick-or-treating with the kids, eat candy etc. I'm not sure I would ever go to any party ever, especially not a haloween party, and I don't actually know anyone that does. Most people I know don't do anything for halloween except update their facebook status to "Happy halloween" Unless kids are in their family, then they also get candy.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 9:10:17 AM
At 10/29/2010 9:05:52 AM, lovelife wrote:

What?!

Its a pagan concept, so it is demonic. Easter and Christmas of course are exempt from becoming demonic by these means.

I'm not sure that's a full thought you've given. the pagan origins making it demonic are wrong but at least what your saying there is clear, but by what means is Easter and Christmas exempt and exempt from what? and what does that have to do with the seasons of worship or what the church teaches or celebrates complementing each other have to do with that?

A Scout is Obedient.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 9:12:09 AM
At 10/29/2010 9:04:57 AM, annhasle wrote:

No, that's his usual Sunday night. He always has candy to lure children into his house... What he should be excited about is the costumes... I mean, *ahem* role-play?

That's true! However, i cannot imagine roles for....i digress.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 9:13:43 AM
At 10/29/2010 9:10:17 AM, Marauder wrote:

What?!

I'm not sure that's a full thought you've given. the pagan origins making it demonic are wrong but at least what your saying there is clear, but by what means is Easter and Christmas exempt and exempt from what? and what does that have to do with the seasons of worship or what the church teaches or celebrates complementing each other have to do with that?

--joking around with the typical christian mindset--

Pagans tend to value worship of seasons, and have everything flow clearly, and nutrally.
Christians hate pagans.
Pagan ideas are demonic.
Anything that has to do with pagans, is evil, including nature.

Now Christmas and Easter are exempt from being demonic cause god said so.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 9:13:53 AM

Goodness, you're boring.

I'd sure beg for death with that attitude.
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 9:16:22 AM
At 10/29/2010 9:13:53 AM, Ren wrote:

Goodness, you're boring.

I'd sure beg for death with that attitude.

I'm making a hundred bucks, seeing dozens of old friends and probably playing a bunch of basketball plus catching up with my family. Sorry, I don't require sluts and alcohol to have fun. I'd say I'm less boring than you by far, because I don't need help to have fun.
:
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 9:17:41 AM
At 10/29/2010 9:08:29 AM, lovelife wrote:

I went to a couple school dances for halloween, go trick-or-treating with the kids, eat candy etc. I'm not sure I would ever go to any party ever, especially not a haloween party, and I don't actually know anyone that does. Most people I know don't do anything for halloween except update their facebook status to "Happy halloween" Unless kids are in their family, then they also get candy.

Just wait till you get to college. It's a whore-fest; I understand from a few friends that some parties don't allow females in who don't have slutty outfits (ex. nurse, maid, or firewoman with more than 75% of her skin showing.)
:
:
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 9:20:54 AM
At 10/29/2010 9:17:41 AM, m93samman wrote:

Just wait till you get to college. It's a whore-fest; I understand from a few friends that some parties don't allow females in who don't have slutty outfits (ex. nurse, maid, or firewoman with more than 75% of her skin showing.)

I wont be going to those parties, and most likely wont be socializing with people that do go. I'm sure some people actually do, but I don't know anyone that does, because the characteristics I look for in friends is not compatable with that level of sluttiness.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 9:24:56 AM

Ha-ha-ha! You bastard!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 9:29:09 AM
At 10/29/2010 9:20:54 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 10/29/2010 9:17:41 AM, m93samman wrote:

I wont be going to those parties, and most likely wont be socializing with people that do go. I'm sure some people actually do, but I don't know anyone that does, because the characteristics I look for in friends is not compatable with that level of sluttiness.

I didn't either, but everyone in my Dorm did (we had dorm clusters, so 10 of us shared a living room, bathroom, and kitchen, though we all had our own prison cell sized rooms), so I got stuck with it anyway. Plus a fun scar, where a drunk guy thought it was a good idea to toss a can of soda (I didn't drink) to me rather then hand it to me, when all the lights were turned off. The rim of the can caught me on the brow.
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 9:29:10 AM
At 10/29/2010 9:24:56 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

Ha-ha-ha! You bastard!
:
:
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 9:29:29 AM
At 10/29/2010 9:13:43 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 10/29/2010 9:10:17 AM, Marauder wrote:

What?!

--joking around with the typical christian mindset--

Pagans tend to value worship of seasons, and have everything flow clearly, and nutrally.
Christians hate pagans.
Pagan ideas are demonic.
Anything that has to do with pagans, is evil, including nature.

We do not throw the baby's out with the bathwater like that.

Now Christmas and Easter are exempt from being demonic cause god said so.

God said nothing about Christmas and Easter that he didn't say about Halloween as well.

A Scout is Obedient.