Jump to topic:

What about Buddhism

vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2010 4:46:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Why would anyone convert to Buddhism ? Buddhism seems to be more of a way of lihe than a religion so why? Im not bashing the religion Im just ignorant lol.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2010 4:57:48 PM
because they consider themselves "spiritual but not religious" ?
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2010 4:59:42 PM
At 10/30/2010 4:46:10 PM, vardas0antras wrote:
Why would anyone convert to Buddhism ? Buddhism seems to be more of a way of lihe than a religion so why? Im not bashing the religion Im just ignorant lol.

Buddhism is both a religion and a philosophy. The appeal of Buddhism is found in the profound philosophy of the Buddha Dharma, the lack of dogmatism, the compatibility with science, the benefits of clearing and calming the mind, and there is no God to worship.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2010 5:04:34 PM

It is more about self worship then other religions. Some like that, some don't. :)
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2010 5:07:53 PM
At 10/30/2010 5:04:34 PM, jharry wrote:
It is more about self worship then other religions. Some like that, some don't. :)

There is NO worship to anyone of anykind, including the self.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2010 5:29:41 PM

i think you have buddhism confused with satanism o.O
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2010 5:30:46 PM
At 10/30/2010 5:29:41 PM, belle wrote:

Or atheism. Very similar. :p
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2010 6:19:54 PM
At 10/30/2010 5:30:46 PM, jharry wrote:

i would ask you to debate that but it appears you have yet to be in a debate....
wush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2010 10:52:23 PM

It's not about self worship
it involves no worship at all
i personally see Buddhism as a way of life as opposed to a religion as it required very little faith and there is no worshiping involved at all or any higher powers.
there are different branches of Buddhism however and many different interpretations of lord Buddhas words. Many Buddhist believe in reincarnation while other choose to believe in a god.

People would convert to Buddhism for the same reason many people choose to join weight loss programs or self help groups. It is simple a better way of life for most people.
but i understand where the OP is coming from. Buddhism does not seek to indoctrinate like other religions so less people are likely to be exposed to it. Buddhism does not offer "rewards" like heaven for its followers.
BE HAPPY!! =D
you are beautiful, don't let anyone tell you you're not
you're 100X more beautiful when you smile, not that you need it
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2010 10:57:30 PM
At 10/30/2010 6:19:54 PM, belle wrote:
At 10/30/2010 5:30:46 PM, jharry wrote:

i would ask you to debate that but it appears you have yet to be in a debate....

Yeah. And it was a joke. Lighten up girl. Did you notice the :p ?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2010 11:51:56 AM
At 10/30/2010 10:52:23 PM, wush wrote:

It's not about self worship
it involves no worship at all
i personally see Buddhism as a way of life as opposed to a religion as it required very little faith and there is no worshiping involved at all or any higher powers.
there are different branches of Buddhism however and many different interpretations of lord Buddhas words. Many Buddhist believe in reincarnation while other choose to believe in a god.

People would convert to Buddhism for the same reason many people choose to join weight loss programs or self help groups. It is simple a better way of life for most people.
but i understand where the OP is coming from. Buddhism does not seek to indoctrinate like other religions so less people are likely to be exposed to it.

Buddhism doesn't seek to indoctrinate, though it certainly is a religion that seeks to preach and prosyletize. The Buddha had made this clear in scripture.

the Buddha: "Preach it, make it known, establish it, open it, minutely explain it, and make it clear until they, when others start vain doctrines, shall be able to vanquish and refute them, and so to spread the wonderworking truth abroad. I shall not die until the pure religion of truth shall have become successful, prosperous, widespread, and popular in all it's full extent, until, in a word, it shall have been well proclaimed among men!"
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat