Jump to topic:

"Live by the sword, die by the sword."

n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2016 7:59:32 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Everyone knows this saying of Jesus. If you are living a violent life, then your death will also be by violence. It is a nice sentiment, that there exists a poetic justice within the universe. But it seems that Jesus is wrong about this.

Many many men who have lived their lives by the sword die in their sleep of common illness. Napoleon, Alexander the Great, Pol Pot, Stalin (debatable), Francisco Franco, and Chairman Mao for example lived by the sword. These men caused a great many deaths, yet Jesus was wrong, they didn't die by the sword.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
Danb6177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2016 8:02:22 PM
At 2/4/2016 7:59:32 PM, n7 wrote:
But it seems that Jesus is wrong about this.
Or your interpretation of what he said is wrong....definitely one of the 2.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2016 8:04:36 PM
It's not meant to be taken literally. It is pretty much the opposite of saying the endsbjustify the means.
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2016 8:04:43 PM
At 2/4/2016 8:02:22 PM, Danb6177 wrote:

What other interpretation is there? I have looked some up and they all seem to agree that it basically means there exists a poetic justice. Most debate about this passage has to do with if it's advocating for pacifism in addition.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2016 8:05:35 PM
At 2/4/2016 8:04:36 PM, Wylted wrote:
It's not meant to be taken literally. It is pretty much the opposite of saying the endsbjustify the means.

Why think that?

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2016 8:08:34 PM
At 2/4/2016 8:05:35 PM, n7 wrote:

Why think that?

It's somewhat of a stoic thing to say and sinilar to the way a stoic would say it, and Jesus like a stoic who disn't completely grasp their philosophy.
Danb6177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2016 8:16:48 PM
At 2/4/2016 8:04:43 PM, n7 wrote:

What other interpretation is there? I have looked some up and they all seem to agree that it basically means there exists a poetic justice. Most debate about this passage has to do with if it's advocating for pacifism in addition.

Ill try and help. If you told your child that if he steals he will go to jail. Then he steals and does not get caught and therefore does not go to jail..Are you a liar?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2016 8:23:00 PM

Why think that?

Here is a decent article that explains the stoic influences on Jesus. Ibdon't agree with the conspiracy theory that Jesua doesn't exist, but it's clear that a Roman hand helped to create some of the mythology surrounding him.
http://www.jesusneverexisted.com...
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2016 9:42:23 PM
At 2/4/2016 8:16:48 PM, Danb6177 wrote:

Ill try and help. If you told your child that if he steals he will go to jail. Then he steals and does not get caught and therefore does not go to jail..Are you a liar?

No, but I would be expressing a statement about human actions and situations. Not a statement about some sort of poetic justice or some principle.

Also, the consequence is open ended. You may get caught or you might not. You may have removed evidence, you may not have. Where in the statement "Live by the sword, die by the sword" can you derive anything that's open ended?

n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2016 9:44:10 PM
At 2/4/2016 8:23:00 PM, Wylted wrote:

Why think that?

Here is a decent article that explains the stoic influences on Jesus. Ibdon't agree with the conspiracy theory that Jesua doesn't exist, but it's clear that a Roman hand helped to create some of the mythology surrounding him.

That's certainly interesting, although, I don't know if a Christian would want to take this route.

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2016 9:48:41 PM
At 2/4/2016 9:44:10 PM, n7 wrote:
At 2/4/2016 8:23:00 PM, Wylted wrote:

Why think that?

That's certainly interesting, although, I don't know if a Christian would want to take this route.

There are some Christians who see the Stoic inflence on Jesus and call themselves Neo-Stoics. I don't think that's too common anymore though.
Danb6177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2016 9:49:42 PM
At 2/4/2016 9:42:23 PM, n7 wrote:

No, but I would be expressing a statement about human actions and situations. Not a statement about some sort of poetic justice or some principle.

Also, the consequence is open ended. You may get caught or you might not. You may have removed evidence, you may not have. Where in the statement "Live by the sword, die by the sword" can you derive anything that's open ended?

Your reading way into this and its not necessary. Jesus is showing peter a better way. Put down the sword because those who choose to live by the sword (violence/secular thinking/aggression/self trust/no faith) will die by the sword (Not being a part of Gods truth/relying on self/not having faith).
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2016 10:36:18 PM
Everyone knows this saying of Jesus. If you are living a violent life, then your death will also be by violence. It is a nice sentiment, that there exists a poetic justice within the universe. But it seems that Jesus is wrong about this.

Many many men who have lived their lives by the sword die in their sleep of common illness. Napoleon, Alexander the Great, Pol Pot, Stalin (debatable), Francisco Franco, and Chairman Mao for example lived by the sword. These men caused a great many deaths, yet Jesus was wrong, they didn't die by the sword.

You need to understand what spirit vs flesh means. You have no idea what awaits those that live by the sword. This physical life is only a fraction of what is to come....think about that. Eternity lasts forever...
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2016 10:43:26 PM
Jesus did not teach this anyway, this is an OT understanding "eye for an eye", He understood the principle of it. Jesus was/is about compassion, love and reaching beyond all of that. Because love, it is a game changer. To turn the other cheek, to remove the plank in our eyes, to love them that hate us, to repay evil with no evil, but with love.
Get it right if you're going to quote...
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2016 10:59:16 PM
At 2/4/2016 10:36:18 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

You need to understand what spirit vs flesh means. You have no idea what awaits those that live by the sword. This physical life is only a fraction of what is to come....think about that. Eternity lasts forever...

If it was in a spiritual sense, why was it used in a physical context (after Peter cut off an ear)?

n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2016 10:59:56 PM
At 2/4/2016 9:49:42 PM, Danb6177 wrote:

Your reading way into this and its not necessary. Jesus is showing peter a better way. Put down the sword because those who choose to live by the sword (violence/secular thinking/aggression/self trust/no faith) will die by the sword (Not being a part of Gods truth/relying on self/not having faith).

So the "death" part wasn't referring to a physical death?

n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2016 11:01:49 PM
At 2/4/2016 10:43:26 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
Jesus did not teach this anyway, this is an OT understanding "eye for an eye", He understood the principle of it. Jesus was/is about compassion, love and reaching beyond all of that. Because love, it is a game changer. To turn the other cheek, to remove the plank in our eyes, to love them that hate us, to repay evil with no evil, but with love.

Isn't that what Jesus was saying? This passage is usually quoted in defense of pacifism and against "an eye for an eye".

Danb6177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 12:43:28 AM
At 2/4/2016 10:59:56 PM, n7 wrote:
At 2/4/2016 9:49:42 PM, Danb6177 wrote:

So the "death" part wasn't referring to a physical death?

I wouldnt say it didnt include death. Looks at it this way. We are taught to trust God and not the things of this world. Sounds silly to some but this is what Christ taught. Think of Jesus saying if you live trusting in this world you die trusting in this world. You have no part in me. Or If you live by the sword you die by the sword.

The teachings of Christ cannot be taken on a verse by verse basic. His teaching is complex and taught in a way that it must all be understood before any of it can be understood if that makes sense. Reading 1/2 of Christs teachings would leave someone scratching their head let alone 1 verse of his teaching.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 1:17:37 AM

"Live by the sword, die by the sword."

I interpret this to mean: You are the sword. Die by the sword. What else would it mean unless taken as a metaphor? And by the presentation of the people you picked, not all had swords. So... i am assuming we are taking this phrase as a metaphor. Therefore, all of them died, and all of them use "swords." The word "sword" i am assuming means war. At which point you are correct; not all of them died as a cause of their war.

There, of course, is another twist - how i define the phrase and the word "sword."
I define "sword" as a life style; character. A sword is double edged; i define that as good and evil.

So... how i read this is different; my translation goes:

"Pick your lifestyle and character wisely, for it comes with consequence in this world; a destiny if you will, of darkness or light beyond the veil waiting to become you."
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 2:55:01 PM
At 2/4/2016 10:59:16 PM, n7 wrote:

If it was in a spiritual sense, why was it used in a physical context (after Peter cut off an ear)?

What I mean is that there is more than one nature to us, so there is no reason to assign it only to the flesh. Don't get me wrong, you made a decent point but I think it's a little rigid.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 3:00:03 PM
Live by the sword and die by the sword can also be translated as reaping and sowing. And in that sense the dynamics change since there is more than just a flesh body ceasing to exist.

A person can be effected psychologically, spiritually, physically, mentally, emotionally ect ect...
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 3:04:51 PM

Yeah a spirit can't hold a sword and this life is all we get, so make you descendants proud.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 3:07:18 PM

You need to understand what spirit vs flesh means.

But, since you nor anyone else can provide a valid definition or explanation of what a spirit is, then your statement is meaningless, as is the word, spirit.

You have no idea what awaits those that live by the sword.

Neither do you.

This physical life is only a fraction of what is to come....think about that. Eternity lasts forever...

But, people don't.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 3:09:38 PM
At 2/4/2016 10:43:26 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Very well said.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 3:10:00 PM
At 2/5/2016 3:00:03 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
Live by the sword and die by the sword can also be translated as reaping and sowing. And in that sense the dynamics change since there is more than just a flesh body ceasing to exist.

A person can be effected psychologically, spiritually, physically, mentally, emotionally ect ect...

In other words a person could very well be "dead" or "suffering" before they ever ceased from existing in this material body, because the material body is only one aspect, not all.
Actually a quick death by sword would be a nice escape. Some of those freaks deserve much more than a death by the sword.

It's no pic nick to be trapped in this body for a life time suffering, a person suffering in their being with no route of escape is torment, hell on earth.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 3:12:53 PM
At 2/5/2016 3:07:18 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

But, since you nor anyone else can provide a valid definition or explanation of what a spirit is, then your statement is meaningless, as is the word, spirit.

Neither do you.

This physical life is only a fraction of what is to come....think about that. Eternity lasts forever...

But, people don't.

I'm not responding to people who refuse to learn, when you show me that what we've discussed has sunk in even remotely we can move forward but until then I suggest you swallow your lie that I have not provided definitions for my beliefs.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 3:17:51 PM
At 2/5/2016 3:12:53 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Neither do you.

But, people don't.

I'm not responding to people who refuse to learn, when you show me that what we've discussed has sunk in even remotely we can move forward but until then I suggest you swallow your lie that I have not provided definitions for my beliefs.

You have not provided any valid explanations or definition for spirit/spiritual. The reason for that is obvious, you can't possibly provide those as there is no information in which to formulate an explanation or definition. Pretending to know this is nothing more than a blatant lie, and you know it.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 3:20:30 PM
At 2/5/2016 3:10:00 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 2/5/2016 3:00:03 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

In other words a person could very well be "dead" or "suffering" before they ever ceased from existing in this material body, because the material body is only one aspect, not all.

Sorry, but there is no evidence whatsoever of any other aspects of our bodies.

Actually a quick death by sword would be a nice escape. Some of those freaks deserve much more than a death by the sword.

Wow, and you demonstrate the compassion and love for others that Jesus has taught you.

It's no pic nick to be trapped in this body for a life time suffering, a person suffering in their being with no route of escape is torment, hell on earth.
Danb6177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 4:46:36 PM

I guess "valid definition" would have to be explained further. I can show you from the bible what the spirit is which to me would be a valid definition. But if your looking for a secular definition that you can see and touch I wont bother. We both know that cannot be done

Neither do you.

But, people don't.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 4:52:24 PM
At 2/5/2016 4:46:36 PM, Danb6177 wrote:

I guess "valid definition" would have to be explained further. I can show you from the bible what the spirit is which to me would be a valid definition.

Please do, EV tried and failed that exercise.

But if your looking for a secular definition that you can see and touch I wont bother. We both know that cannot be done

A secular definition? What is that supposed to be? Never heard of it.

Neither do you.

But, people don't.