Jump to topic:

Mary

JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 11:51:24 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
Why do Catholics make Mary into some sort of saint, they even pray to her?

There is very little in the Bible about the woman apart from her getting in the family way before she married, when she was probably below the age of consent today. Jesus doesn't seem to have had much time or respect for her, and the rest of his family, and was quite dismissive of them, it would appear.

In my opinion Catholics doing their hail Mary mantra is a posher version of 'touching wood' to ward off bad luck.
Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 11:58:08 AM
At 2/5/2016 11:51:24 AM, JJ50 wrote:

There is very little in the Bible about the woman apart from her getting in the family way before she married, when she was probably below the age of consent today. Jesus doesn't seem to have had much time or respect for her, and the rest of his family, and was quite dismissive of them, it would appear.

In my opinion Catholics doing their hail Mary mantra is a posher version of 'touching wood' to ward off bad luck.

When I was young, I found it easier to pray to Mary than to God because my experience of women was that they were kinder and more involved with children than men who were - in my life anyway - more remote and a bit scarier. We always learn that God is not male or female, but I found it impossible not to think of him as male because He is always spoken of as masculine, and pictured as a man etc., so maybe that is part of the reason why Mary is so popular with Catholics, to counterbalance that.
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 12:10:53 PM

Mary was born in 20 BC, three years after the death of her grand father Yehoshua/Jesus III, who was the high priest in Jerusalem from 36 to 23 BC. Her father, Alexander Helios/Heli, was murdered in 13 BC at the command of Herod the Great.
She gave birth to Jesus in 6 BC when she was 14, two years before the death of Herod the Great who ordered the death of the innocents who were two years and below, just before he died in April of 4 BC.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 1:44:54 PM
At 2/5/2016 12:10:53 PM, Gentorev wrote:

Mary was born in 20 BC, three years after the death of her grand father Yehoshua/Jesus III, who was the high priest in Jerusalem from 36 to 23 BC. Her father, Alexander Helios/Heli, was murdered in 13 BC at the command of Herod the Great.
She gave birth to Jesus in 6 BC when she was 14, two years before the death of Herod the Great who ordered the death of the innocents who were two years and below, just before he died in April of 4 BC.

Where did you find those details, or did you just make them up?
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 2:04:05 PM

More properly speaking Catholics ask Mary to intercede for them. In the Davidic kingdom the mother of the king was the queen. As Jesus is a king in the line of David, his mother is thus queen. The role of the queen was intercessory for the people to the king.

She is the living Ark, and the one whose soul magnifies the Lord. This we could offer up to Jesus in pray or we can ask Mary to take our offering to Christ and offer it in a more perfect manner on our behalf.

Hope that helps.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 2:41:51 PM
At 2/5/2016 2:04:05 PM, Geogeer wrote:

More properly speaking Catholics ask Mary to intercede for them. In the Davidic kingdom the mother of the king was the queen. As Jesus is a king in the line of David, his mother is thus queen. The role of the queen was intercessory for the people to the king.

She is the living Ark, and the one whose soul magnifies the Lord. This we could offer up to Jesus in pray or we can ask Mary to take our offering to Christ and offer it in a more perfect manner on our behalf.

Hope that helps.

Mary is dead, just as her son is dead!
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 3:45:04 PM
At 2/5/2016 2:41:51 PM, JJ50 wrote:

Hope that helps.

Why bother asking if you don't care about an answer?
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 9:28:28 PM
At 2/5/2016 1:44:54 PM, JJ50 wrote:
At 2/5/2016 12:10:53 PM, Gentorev wrote:

Where did you find those details, or did you just make them up?

No, I didn't make them up, they are there for all bible students to find, and I am not referring to students of the false doctrines of their particular church.
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 10:10:52 PM
At 2/5/2016 2:41:51 PM, JJ50 wrote:

Hope that helps.

Correct! After the resurrection of her first born son, and his translation to a body of brilliant and blinding light, her half brother, Joseph the Levite from Cyprus, took Mary and her adopted son, up into the land of Pamphylia, where, in the town of Ephesus, the grave sites of Mary and John can still be visited today.

John who was surnamed "MARK" which surname means "HAMMER" or "The Hammerer" and who is identified with John the beloved disciple of Jesus, who he surnamed, "SON OF THUNDER" and had become the adopted son of Mary at his crucifixion; John 19: 26; Jesus saw his mother and the disciple he loved standing there; so he said to his mother, "He is your son." Then he said to the disciple he loved, "she is your mother." From that time, the disciple took her to live in his home.