Total Posts:21|Showing Posts:1-21
Jump to topic:

Religious mental illness week.

Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 11:55:54 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
Religious mental illness week
This week starting the 8th of February. Until the 13th

Appendix 1 Definition of religious mental health.

Behavioural syndrome associated with imaginary GOD like idols include.
Mental and behavioral disorders due to irrational thoughts
Schizophrenia, schizotypal and delusional disorders.

(Delusions are false beliefs that significantly hinder a person's ability to function .)

Events in a person's life, such as a death of a loved one , starting a new job, unemployment, and even marriage, can trigger wild and unjustified beliefs in Jesus then progress quickly to the character GOD
If you know a person that suffers religious beliefs . Help them by bringing them down to your local mental health place. We have FREE fully qualified teams of atheists standing by. Ready to slap some sense into them. And a free sausage sizzle.
Reality is only a few slaps away.
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 12:57:27 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 2/5/2016 11:55:54 AM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
Religious mental illness week
This week starting the 8th of February. Until the 13th

Appendix 1 Definition of religious mental health.

Behavioural syndrome associated with imaginary GOD like idols include.
Mental and behavioral disorders due to irrational thoughts
Schizophrenia, schizotypal and delusional disorders.

(Delusions are false beliefs that significantly hinder a person's ability to function .)

Events in a person's life, such as a death of a loved one , starting a new job, unemployment, and even marriage, can trigger wild and unjustified beliefs in Jesus then progress quickly to the character GOD
If you know a person that suffers religious beliefs . Help them by bringing them down to your local mental health place. We have FREE fully qualified teams of atheists standing by. Ready to slap some sense into them. And a free sausage sizzle.
Reality is only a few slaps away.

LOL.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 6:41:55 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Psychology of the Atheist

**Atheism has a vested interest in rejecting God.**

** The issue is not intellectual but moral: Man suppresses the truth about God and seeks to live in what he perceives to be "unbounded"freedom" to do as he wishes, to fulfill his desires, to have no boundries, to have no accountability except to himself.**

-----
SEXUAL MOTIVES FOR SOME ATHEISTS
-----

--Ex Atheist--
"Without going into details it is not hard to imagine the sexual pleasures I thought I would have to reject if I became a serious believer."

www.leaderu.com/truth/1truth12.html

"Atheists are particularly driven by a desire for self-mastery and, secondarily, by a sensation seeking need to engage in intense and pleasurable activities. A number of sociological, social-psychological, narrative, and sexual-behavioural studies are reviewed to support this idea."

*****
It is very likely, that an Atheist will have more than one motive for his Atheism. After all, most people do not have just a single motive for what they do, and in this, Atheists are no different from anyone else.*****
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
JimDavis
Posts: 56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 7:09:59 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 2/5/2016 6:41:55 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Psychology of the Atheist

**Atheism has a vested interest in rejecting God.**

** The issue is not intellectual but moral: Man suppresses the truth about God and seeks to live in what he perceives to be "unbounded"freedom" to do as he wishes, to fulfill his desires, to have no boundries, to have no accountability except to himself.**

-----
SEXUAL MOTIVES FOR SOME ATHEISTS
-----

--Ex Atheist--
"Without going into details it is not hard to imagine the sexual pleasures I thought I would have to reject if I became a serious believer."

www.leaderu.com/truth/1truth12.html

"Atheists are particularly driven by a desire for self-mastery and, secondarily, by a sensation seeking need to engage in intense and pleasurable activities. A number of sociological, social-psychological, narrative, and sexual-behavioural studies are reviewed to support this idea."

*****
It is very likely, that an Atheist will have more than one motive for his Atheism. After all, most people do not have just a single motive for what they do, and in this, Atheists are no different from anyone else.*****

You imply that atheists are intellectually dishonest - that they suppress the truth in order to feel more free. How can you know the internal disposition of an entire group of people?

Sure, there are non-intellectual motivations for being atheist, but that doesn't mean we don't also have intellectual reasons.

You could make a much stronger case that theists have a vested interest in preserving their beliefs. Theism promises eternal life and everlasting happiness. Many sects of Christianity think that belief alone brings salvation - you can sin all you want and as long as you believe, you'll still be saved. Practically all of them allow for unlimited forgiveness if you're sorry later. Even suffering is given a meaning, so you can feel better about it.

But with atheism, reality is not a happy fairy-tale. Death ends all, as far as we know. Suffering has no intrinsic meaning.

But I DON'T claim that theists are suppressing the uncomfortable truth of reality, because I don't know their internal disposition. I prefer to discuss evidence and arguments, not intentions.
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 7:45:41 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 2/5/2016 7:09:59 PM, JimDavis wrote:
At 2/5/2016 6:41:55 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Psychology of the Atheist

**Atheism has a vested interest in rejecting God.**

** The issue is not intellectual but moral: Man suppresses the truth about God and seeks to live in what he perceives to be "unbounded"freedom" to do as he wishes, to fulfill his desires, to have no boundries, to have no accountability except to himself.**

-----
SEXUAL MOTIVES FOR SOME ATHEISTS
-----

--Ex Atheist--
"Without going into details it is not hard to imagine the sexual pleasures I thought I would have to reject if I became a serious believer."

www.leaderu.com/truth/1truth12.html

"Atheists are particularly driven by a desire for self-mastery and, secondarily, by a sensation seeking need to engage in intense and pleasurable activities. A number of sociological, social-psychological, narrative, and sexual-behavioural studies are reviewed to support this idea."

*****
It is very likely, that an Atheist will have more than one motive for his Atheism. After all, most people do not have just a single motive for what they do, and in this, Atheists are no different from anyone else.*****

You imply that atheists are intellectually dishonest - that they suppress the truth in order to feel more free. How can you know the internal disposition of an entire group of people?

Sure, there are non-intellectual motivations for being atheist, but that doesn't mean we don't also have intellectual reasons.

You could make a much stronger case that theists have a vested interest in preserving their beliefs. Theism promises eternal life and everlasting happiness. Many sects of Christianity think that belief alone brings salvation - you can sin all you want and as long as you believe, you'll still be saved. Practically all of them allow for unlimited forgiveness if you're sorry later. Even suffering is given a meaning, so you can feel better about it.

But with atheism, reality is not a happy fairy-tale. Death ends all, as far as we know. Suffering has no intrinsic meaning.

But I DON'T claim that theists are suppressing the uncomfortable truth of reality, because I don't know their internal disposition. I prefer to discuss evidence and arguments, not intentions.

Since both have "psychological benefits", why don't you choose the chance at life over death?
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 7:46:26 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Are you suggesting I put my faith in this?

Ambulocetus and Rotocetus

http://www.amnh.org...

The Science of Ambulocetus Rodhocetus

http://youtu.be...

(1)"The Great Silence"

The Fermi paradox or Fermi's
paradox, named after Enrico Fermi, is the apparent contradiction between high estimates of the probability of the existence of extraterrestrial civilizations, such as in the Drake equation, and the lack of evidence for such civilizations.[1] The basic points of the argument, made by physicists Enrico Fermi (1901"1954) and Michael H. Hart (born 1932), are:

The Sun is a typical star, and there are billions of stars in the galaxy, including many billions of years older than Earth.[2][3]
With high probability, some of these stars will have Earth-like planets,[4][5] and if the Earth is typical, some might develop intelligent life.
Some of these civilizations might develop interstellar travel, a step the Earth is investigating now.
Even at the slow pace of currently envisioned interstellar travel, the Milky Way galaxy could be completely traversed in about a million years.[6]
According to this line of thinking, the Earth should already have been visited by extraterrestrial aliens. In an informal conversation, Fermi noted no convincing evidence of this, nor any signs of alien intelligence anywhere in the observable universe, leading him to ask, "Where is everybody?"[7][8] There have been many attempts to explain the Fermi paradox, primarily suggesting that intelligent extraterrestrial life does not exist or occurs so rarely or briefly that humans will never make contact with it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
Dirty.Harry
Posts: 1,589
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 8:20:29 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Atheist mental illness week

This week starting the 8th of February. Until the 13th

Appendix 1 Definition of atheism mental health.

Behavioral syndrome associated with GOD like idols typically including Richard Dawkins, Stephen Hawking, Christopher Hitchens etc.
Mental and behavioral disorders due to no idea why they exist or what is right and wrong.
Deeply held delusions often including God does not exist, the universe came out of nothing and complex life arose all by itself.

(Delusions are false beliefs that significantly hinder a person's ability to function).

Events in a person's life, such as attending schools which discourage free thinking, indoctrination that materialism is everything, sudden fear of being different, social pressure to fit in etc.

If you know a person that suffers atheist beliefs . Help them by bringing them down to your local mental health place. We have FREE fully qualified teams of philosophers standing by. Ready to slap some sense into them. And a free sausage sizzle.

Your savior is only a few pages away.
JimDavis
Posts: 56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 8:21:51 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 2/5/2016 7:45:41 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Since both have "psychological benefits", why don't you choose the chance at life over death?

Well firstly, my belief will not change whether or not there's an afterlife. Sure, if there IS an afterlife, believing in God might improve my chances of a happy afterlife. But only if I pick the right religion. Also, genuine belief is not a simple choice. If I "choose" to believe just in case it will benefit me in some way, it's probably not a genuine belief.

I would need to be convinced through evidence and reason for my beliefs to genuinely change. My primary reasons for atheism are intellectual (though I admit it's nice to sleep in on Sunday)

If I could pick any religion to be the true one, it would be any sect of Christianity that believes in universal salvation (everyone eventually goes to heaven). Because that would be like living in a happy fairy tale. But obviously I can't make this true just by wishing it.
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 8:26:52 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 2/5/2016 8:21:51 PM, JimDavis wrote:
At 2/5/2016 7:45:41 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Since both have "psychological benefits", why don't you choose the chance at life over death?

Well firstly, my belief will not change whether or not there's an afterlife. Sure, if there IS an afterlife, believing in God might improve my chances of a happy afterlife. But only if I pick the right religion. Also, genuine belief is not a simple choice. If I "choose" to believe just in case it will benefit me in some way, it's probably not a genuine belief.

I would need to be convinced through evidence and reason for my beliefs to genuinely change. My primary reasons for atheism are intellectual (though I admit it's nice to sleep in on Sunday)

If I could pick any religion to be the true one, it would be any sect of Christianity that believes in universal salvation (everyone eventually goes to heaven). Because that would be like living in a happy fairy tale. But obviously I can't make this true just by wishing it.

There was no Christianity when Jesus forgave those killing him, sinning at will and committing adultery and theft. No one knows His final judgement. What we do know is He was extremely forgiving.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
JimDavis
Posts: 56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 8:27:29 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 2/5/2016 8:20:29 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:
Atheist mental illness week

This week starting the 8th of February. Until the 13th

Appendix 1 Definition of atheism mental health.

Behavioral syndrome associated with GOD like idols typically including Richard Dawkins, Stephen Hawking, Christopher Hitchens etc.
Mental and behavioral disorders due to no idea why they exist or what is right and wrong.
Deeply held delusions often including God does not exist, the universe came out of nothing and complex life arose all by itself.

(Delusions are false beliefs that significantly hinder a person's ability to function).

Events in a person's life, such as attending schools which discourage free thinking, indoctrination that materialism is everything, sudden fear of being different, social pressure to fit in etc.

If you know a person that suffers atheist beliefs . Help them by bringing them down to your local mental health place. We have FREE fully qualified teams of philosophers standing by. Ready to slap some sense into them. And a free sausage sizzle.

Your savior is only a few pages away.

Best response so far! Though I don't agree, the OP definitely asked for it...
JimDavis
Posts: 56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 8:33:35 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 2/5/2016 8:26:52 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

There was no Christianity when Jesus forgave those killing him, sinning at will and committing adultery and theft. No one knows His final judgement. What we do know is He was extremely forgiving.

If you're correct, do you think Jesus would forgive me for being an atheist, assuming I genuinely do not believe in any god?
Axonly
Posts: 1,802
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 8:38:28 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 2/5/2016 6:41:55 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Psychology of the Atheist

**Atheism has a vested interest in rejecting God.**

** The issue is not intellectual but moral: Man suppresses the truth about God and seeks to live in what he perceives to be "unbounded"freedom" to do as he wishes, to fulfill his desires, to have no boundries, to have no accountability except to himself.**

-----
SEXUAL MOTIVES FOR SOME ATHEISTS
-----

--Ex Atheist--
"Without going into details it is not hard to imagine the sexual pleasures I thought I would have to reject if I became a serious believer."

www.leaderu.com/truth/1truth12.html

"Atheists are particularly driven by a desire for self-mastery and, secondarily, by a sensation seeking need to engage in intense and pleasurable activities. A number of sociological, social-psychological, narrative, and sexual-behavioural studies are reviewed to support this idea."

*****
It is very likely, that an Atheist will have more than one motive for his Atheism. After all, most people do not have just a single motive for what they do, and in this, Atheists are no different from anyone else.*****

Although I disagree with the idea that you have to have a mental illness to be religious, I would like to point out that atheists just don't see enough evidence for god, and as such don't believe in the existence of one. Saying its for sexual motives is fairly immature venting.
Meh!
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 8:43:38 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 2/5/2016 8:33:35 PM, JimDavis wrote:
At 2/5/2016 8:26:52 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

There was no Christianity when Jesus forgave those killing him, sinning at will and committing adultery and theft. No one knows His final judgement. What we do know is He was extremely forgiving.

If you're correct, do you think Jesus would forgive me for being an atheist, assuming I genuinely do not believe in any god?

That's up to Him. Anything is possible.

I don't see the response as "immature" seeing it was a flipping of the titled thread to show either can be based on a psychological "need".
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 9:25:14 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 2/5/2016 8:38:28 PM, Axonly wrote:
At 2/5/2016 6:41:55 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Psychology of the Atheist

**Atheism has a vested interest in rejecting God.**

** The issue is not intellectual but moral: Man suppresses the truth about God and seeks to live in what he perceives to be "unbounded"freedom" to do as he wishes, to fulfill his desires, to have no boundries, to have no accountability except to himself.**

-----
SEXUAL MOTIVES FOR SOME ATHEISTS
-----

--Ex Atheist--
"Without going into details it is not hard to imagine the sexual pleasures I thought I would have to reject if I became a serious believer."

www.leaderu.com/truth/1truth12.html

"Atheists are particularly driven by a desire for self-mastery and, secondarily, by a sensation seeking need to engage in intense and pleasurable activities. A number of sociological, social-psychological, narrative, and sexual-behavioural studies are reviewed to support this idea."

*****
It is very likely, that an Atheist will have more than one motive for his Atheism. After all, most people do not have just a single motive for what they do, and in this, Atheists are no different from anyone else.*****

Although I disagree with the idea that you have to have a mental illness to be religious, I would like to point out that atheists just don't see enough evidence for god, and as such don't believe in the existence of one. Saying its for sexual motives is fairly immature venting.

It was simply a equalizing rebutal to a thread titled "religious mental illness"
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
Axonly
Posts: 1,802
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 9:27:02 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 2/5/2016 9:25:14 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 2/5/2016 8:38:28 PM, Axonly wrote:
At 2/5/2016 6:41:55 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Psychology of the Atheist

**Atheism has a vested interest in rejecting God.**

** The issue is not intellectual but moral: Man suppresses the truth about God and seeks to live in what he perceives to be "unbounded"freedom" to do as he wishes, to fulfill his desires, to have no boundries, to have no accountability except to himself.**

-----
SEXUAL MOTIVES FOR SOME ATHEISTS
-----

--Ex Atheist--
"Without going into details it is not hard to imagine the sexual pleasures I thought I would have to reject if I became a serious believer."

www.leaderu.com/truth/1truth12.html

"Atheists are particularly driven by a desire for self-mastery and, secondarily, by a sensation seeking need to engage in intense and pleasurable activities. A number of sociological, social-psychological, narrative, and sexual-behavioural studies are reviewed to support this idea."

*****
It is very likely, that an Atheist will have more than one motive for his Atheism. After all, most people do not have just a single motive for what they do, and in this, Atheists are no different from anyone else.*****

Although I disagree with the idea that you have to have a mental illness to be religious, I would like to point out that atheists just don't see enough evidence for god, and as such don't believe in the existence of one. Saying its for sexual motives is fairly immature venting.

It was simply a equalizing rebutal to a thread titled "religious mental illness"

Seems like you were trying to imply that one of the reasons for atheism is sexual motive.
Meh!
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 9:28:53 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 2/5/2016 9:27:02 PM, Axonly wrote:
At 2/5/2016 9:25:14 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 2/5/2016 8:38:28 PM, Axonly wrote:
At 2/5/2016 6:41:55 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Psychology of the Atheist

**Atheism has a vested interest in rejecting God.**

** The issue is not intellectual but moral: Man suppresses the truth about God and seeks to live in what he perceives to be "unbounded"freedom" to do as he wishes, to fulfill his desires, to have no boundries, to have no accountability except to himself.**

-----
SEXUAL MOTIVES FOR SOME ATHEISTS
-----

--Ex Atheist--
"Without going into details it is not hard to imagine the sexual pleasures I thought I would have to reject if I became a serious believer."

www.leaderu.com/truth/1truth12.html

"Atheists are particularly driven by a desire for self-mastery and, secondarily, by a sensation seeking need to engage in intense and pleasurable activities. A number of sociological, social-psychological, narrative, and sexual-behavioural studies are reviewed to support this idea."

*****
It is very likely, that an Atheist will have more than one motive for his Atheism. After all, most people do not have just a single motive for what they do, and in this, Atheists are no different from anyone else.*****

Although I disagree with the idea that you have to have a mental illness to be religious, I would like to point out that atheists just don't see enough evidence for god, and as such don't believe in the existence of one. Saying its for sexual motives is fairly immature venting.

It was simply a equalizing rebutal to a thread titled "religious mental illness"

Seems like you were trying to imply that one of the reasons for atheism is sexual motive.

According to studies it's one amongst many reasons.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 9:31:34 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Here are more. The OP got the sleeziest of them because of the nature of calling teligion a mental illness.

PERCEIVED "INTELLECTUAL INTEGRITY"
-----

--The Ex Theist Atheist--
Many who are atheists for this reason would"like to be believers. They would like to find evidence for God"s existence. Often atheists of this kind were raised in families that believed in God, and from nostalgia, if for no other reason, they would subconsciously like to once again be able to believe. But they cannot, because to do so would be to compromise their "intellectual integrity" as they perceive it, which is something they value above most anything else.

-----
"COMPASSION FOR HUMAN SUFFERING"
-----

Many are atheists because they are deeply troubled by the immense amount of apparently pointless suffering that takes place in the world, suffering that is not distributed on the basis of merit. It would make sense, perhaps, if bad people and only bad people suffered, and if good people and innocent babies and children did not suffer. But that"s not the way the world is arranged. Atheists of this kind are troubled by what is usually called the "problem of evil." Think of the Holocaust; think of the millions of people dying of cancer at this moment; think of tsunamis, hurricanes and earthquakes; think of young children living in extreme neglect because of parents who are criminals, drunks or drug addicts; think of people who live in chronic poverty and need; and so on and so forth. The world abounds in unmerited pain and suffering. How could such a world have been created by a God who is by definition good? To Atheists of this kind it seems a betrayal of human solidarity to believe in a good God when there is such great suffering in the world. To affirm the existence of God is in effect to tell all those sufferers, all those billions of people who have lived in this world of pain, that their suffering really doesn"t matter. It is better to be an atheist in their mind,it is more compassionate, more humane.

-----
INDIGNATION AT EVIL DONE BY THEISTS (Anger towards "WOLVES IN SHEEPS' CLOTHING" based on the Biblical concept of such people/groups)
-----

It"s not just that God, according to the theistic view, has caused and permitted a vast sum of pain and suffering. Worse still in some ways, believers in God, Christians and other theists, have added to this sum by inflicting further pain and suffering from motives of religious duty or love of God. There were, to give a very abbreviated list of examples, the Crusades; centuries of warfare between Christians and Muslims in Spain and in the Mideast; the Spanish Inquisition; the Thirty Years War; the persecution in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries of Protestants by Catholics, of Catholics by Protestants, of one sect of Protestants by another sect; the witch trials in Germany, France and Massachusetts.

-----
HATRED OF RELIGION
-----

Some Americans feel a strong disapproval, even a hatred, of religion: religion in general but Christianity in particular."It is not surprising that this hatred of religion should focus on Christianity, since Christianity is far and away the most widely held and influential religion in the United States. If you"re an American religion-hater, it would make little sense for you to focus on, say, Hinduism or Buddhism.

They would like to see it vanish from the world; or if the vanishing of religion is a beautiful but impossible dream, then at a minimum they"d like to see religion/Christianity decline greatly in importance.

-----
INTELLECTUAL LAZINESS
-----

Some people are atheists because they are too intellectually lazy to be theists. Theism, at least when it"s not the crude theism of the child who pictures God as an old man with a long white beard sitting on a throne up in the sky, requires a certain amount of intellectual effort. It requires that we form a conception of a nonmaterial being
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
Axonly
Posts: 1,802
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 9:33:45 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 2/5/2016 9:31:34 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Here are more. The OP got the sleeziest of them because of the nature of calling teligion a mental illness.

PERCEIVED "INTELLECTUAL INTEGRITY"
-----

--The Ex Theist Atheist--
Many who are atheists for this reason would"like to be believers. They would like to find evidence for God"s existence. Often atheists of this kind were raised in families that believed in God, and from nostalgia, if for no other reason, they would subconsciously like to once again be able to believe. But they cannot, because to do so would be to compromise their "intellectual integrity" as they perceive it, which is something they value above most anything else.

-----
"COMPASSION FOR HUMAN SUFFERING"
-----

Many are atheists because they are deeply troubled by the immense amount of apparently pointless suffering that takes place in the world, suffering that is not distributed on the basis of merit. It would make sense, perhaps, if bad people and only bad people suffered, and if good people and innocent babies and children did not suffer. But that"s not the way the world is arranged. Atheists of this kind are troubled by what is usually called the "problem of evil." Think of the Holocaust; think of the millions of people dying of cancer at this moment; think of tsunamis, hurricanes and earthquakes; think of young children living in extreme neglect because of parents who are criminals, drunks or drug addicts; think of people who live in chronic poverty and need; and so on and so forth. The world abounds in unmerited pain and suffering. How could such a world have been created by a God who is by definition good? To Atheists of this kind it seems a betrayal of human solidarity to believe in a good God when there is such great suffering in the world. To affirm the existence of God is in effect to tell all those sufferers, all those billions of people who have lived in this world of pain, that their suffering really doesn"t matter. It is better to be an atheist in their mind,it is more compassionate, more humane.

-----
INDIGNATION AT EVIL DONE BY THEISTS (Anger towards "WOLVES IN SHEEPS' CLOTHING" based on the Biblical concept of such people/groups)
-----

It"s not just that God, according to the theistic view, has caused and permitted a vast sum of pain and suffering. Worse still in some ways, believers in God, Christians and other theists, have added to this sum by inflicting further pain and suffering from motives of religious duty or love of God. There were, to give a very abbreviated list of examples, the Crusades; centuries of warfare between Christians and Muslims in Spain and in the Mideast; the Spanish Inquisition; the Thirty Years War; the persecution in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries of Protestants by Catholics, of Catholics by Protestants, of one sect of Protestants by another sect; the witch trials in Germany, France and Massachusetts.

-----
HATRED OF RELIGION
-----

Some Americans feel a strong disapproval, even a hatred, of religion: religion in general but Christianity in particular."It is not surprising that this hatred of religion should focus on Christianity, since Christianity is far and away the most widely held and influential religion in the United States. If you"re an American religion-hater, it would make little sense for you to focus on, say, Hinduism or Buddhism.

They would like to see it vanish from the world; or if the vanishing of religion is a beautiful but impossible dream, then at a minimum they"d like to see religion/Christianity decline greatly in importance.

-----
INTELLECTUAL LAZINESS
-----

Some people are atheists because they are too intellectually lazy to be theists. Theism, at least when it"s not the crude theism of the child who pictures God as an old man with a long white beard sitting on a throne up in the sky, requires a certain amount of intellectual effort. It requires that we form a conception of a nonmaterial being

I wonder how selectively you took the research C:
Meh!
Accipiter
Posts: 1,165
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2016 5:31:25 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
The human brain has no software, everything you know is hard-wired. When you learn something your brain cells form physical connections with other brain cells with dendrites. When you learn something you physically change your brain, that is why people feel so insulted when someone opposes what they have learned or been taught to believe because it has become a physical part of them. You may as well have told them they are fat and ugly.
bulproof
Posts: 25,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2016 6:18:08 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 2/5/2016 9:33:45 PM, Axonly wrote:
At 2/5/2016 9:31:34 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Here are more. The OP got the sleeziest of them because of the nature of calling teligion a mental illness.

PERCEIVED "INTELLECTUAL INTEGRITY"
-----

--The Ex Theist Atheist--
Many who are atheists for this reason would"like to be believers. They would like to find evidence for God"s existence. Often atheists of this kind were raised in families that believed in God, and from nostalgia, if for no other reason, they would subconsciously like to once again be able to believe. But they cannot, because to do so would be to compromise their "intellectual integrity" as they perceive it, which is something they value above most anything else.

-----
"COMPASSION FOR HUMAN SUFFERING"
-----

Many are atheists because they are deeply troubled by the immense amount of apparently pointless suffering that takes place in the world, suffering that is not distributed on the basis of merit. It would make sense, perhaps, if bad people and only bad people suffered, and if good people and innocent babies and children did not suffer. But that"s not the way the world is arranged. Atheists of this kind are troubled by what is usually called the "problem of evil." Think of the Holocaust; think of the millions of people dying of cancer at this moment; think of tsunamis, hurricanes and earthquakes; think of young children living in extreme neglect because of parents who are criminals, drunks or drug addicts; think of people who live in chronic poverty and need; and so on and so forth. The world abounds in unmerited pain and suffering. How could such a world have been created by a God who is by definition good? To Atheists of this kind it seems a betrayal of human solidarity to believe in a good God when there is such great suffering in the world. To affirm the existence of God is in effect to tell all those sufferers, all those billions of people who have lived in this world of pain, that their suffering really doesn"t matter. It is better to be an atheist in their mind,it is more compassionate, more humane.

-----
INDIGNATION AT EVIL DONE BY THEISTS (Anger towards "WOLVES IN SHEEPS' CLOTHING" based on the Biblical concept of such people/groups)
-----

It"s not just that God, according to the theistic view, has caused and permitted a vast sum of pain and suffering. Worse still in some ways, believers in God, Christians and other theists, have added to this sum by inflicting further pain and suffering from motives of religious duty or love of God. There were, to give a very abbreviated list of examples, the Crusades; centuries of warfare between Christians and Muslims in Spain and in the Mideast; the Spanish Inquisition; the Thirty Years War; the persecution in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries of Protestants by Catholics, of Catholics by Protestants, of one sect of Protestants by another sect; the witch trials in Germany, France and Massachusetts.

-----
HATRED OF RELIGION
-----

Some Americans feel a strong disapproval, even a hatred, of religion: religion in general but Christianity in particular."It is not surprising that this hatred of religion should focus on Christianity, since Christianity is far and away the most widely held and influential religion in the United States. If you"re an American religion-hater, it would make little sense for you to focus on, say, Hinduism or Buddhism.

They would like to see it vanish from the world; or if the vanishing of religion is a beautiful but impossible dream, then at a minimum they"d like to see religion/Christianity decline greatly in importance.

-----
INTELLECTUAL LAZINESS
-----

Some people are atheists because they are too intellectually lazy to be theists. Theism, at least when it"s not the crude theism of the child who pictures God as an old man with a long white beard sitting on a throne up in the sky, requires a certain amount of intellectual effort. It requires that we form a conception of a nonmaterial being

I wonder how selectively you took the research C:

Saurus is an experienced miner, he would have dug out the iron pyrite he was searching for.
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2016 7:25:45 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 2/5/2016 11:55:54 AM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
Religious mental illness week
Magical thinking isn't a mental illness, Deb. It occurs in (almost) everyone, and is considered part of normal and healthy mental function.

Religion is built on magical thinking enshrined as cultural traditions -- that is, cultural traditions based on thinking and performing your way into the world you want, rather than studying and engineering with the world you have.

History shows that to be a largely futile activity, and demonstrates that it can also produce a great deal of cruelty and enshrined ignorance when people get zealous about it.

But religion also spawns artistic traditions, natural and moral philosophy, creates an over-arching cultural narrative, helps create cultural cohesion and sacrifice during times of adversity, occasionally advocates for humanitarian advances...

I'm not saying that such benefits are always worth the corruption, abuses and atrocities religion also often enshrines. What I'm saying is that you have to be careful in distinguishing institutionalised magical thinking from the whole of the religious edifice, and that it's both dishonest and unfair to pretend that the religious think magically while the irreligious don't.

Reality is only a few slaps away.
I don't think you can slap rational compassion into the scared and ignorant, who've already been slapped into blind compliance by their own clergy for millennia.

Really, if you can't demonstrate kindness and reason in your own life, in the face of hated, conceit and unreasoning fear, what is it you think you're teaching that the religious don't already know?