Total Posts:60|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

No one has the moral high ground...

gavin.ogden
Posts: 1,729
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 7:27:41 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Why do people believe that they have the moral high ground? This is nothing but a self righteous act of ignorant zealots, and the next person who starts preaching AT me is going to find out whether they are right about the whole heaven/hell debate.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 4:53:51 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/2/2010 7:27:41 AM, gavin.ogden wrote:
Why do people believe that they have the moral high ground? This is nothing but a self righteous act of ignorant zealots, and the next person who starts preaching AT me is going to find out whether they are right about the whole heaven/hell debate.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 4:57:48 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/2/2010 4:53:51 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 11/2/2010 7:27:41 AM, gavin.ogden wrote:
Why do people believe that they have the moral high ground? This is nothing but a self righteous act of ignorant zealots, and the next person who starts preaching AT me is going to find out whether they are right about the whole heaven/hell debate.



Yeah, that was mature. Why can't something like that happen around here. I would love to have a talk with that young man. Oh wait, people round here have been raised better then that. Sorry, I forgot. One of the tenants on atheism is an utter lack of respect.

What the Hell is wrong with people these days?
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
gavin.ogden
Posts: 1,729
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 5:05:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/2/2010 4:53:51 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 11/2/2010 7:27:41 AM, gavin.ogden wrote:
Why do people believe that they have the moral high ground? This is nothing but a self righteous act of ignorant zealots, and the next person who starts preaching AT me is going to find out whether they are right about the whole heaven/hell debate.



That was freakin hilarious...Was that real?
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 5:32:04 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/2/2010 4:57:48 PM, jharry wrote:
One of the tenants on atheism is an utter lack of respect.

Atheists are housing estates?
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 5:39:23 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/2/2010 5:32:04 PM, Puck wrote:
At 11/2/2010 4:57:48 PM, jharry wrote:
One of the tenants on atheism is an utter lack of respect.

Atheists are housing estates?

Yo mama could be a housing estate. There've already been plenty of men looking to rent her out a while.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhh
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 5:41:39 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/2/2010 5:05:49 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
That was freakin hilarious...Was that real?

Yep.

At 11/2/2010 4:57:48 PM, jharry wrote:
Yeah, that was mature. Why can't something like that happen around here. I would love to have a talk with that young man. Oh wait, people round here have been raised better then that. Sorry, I forgot. One of the tenants on atheism is an utter lack of respect.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Did you just make a sweeping generalisation?
CALL THE POLITICAL CORRECTNESS POLICE.
Sorry, I forgot. Only Theist are allowed to do that.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 5:49:23 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/2/2010 5:39:23 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 11/2/2010 5:32:04 PM, Puck wrote:
At 11/2/2010 4:57:48 PM, jharry wrote:
One of the tenants on atheism is an utter lack of respect.

Atheists are housing estates?

Yo mama could be a housing estate. There've already been plenty of men looking to rent her out a while.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhh

+3 points on argument.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 5:53:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/2/2010 4:57:48 PM, jharry wrote:
At 11/2/2010 4:53:51 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 11/2/2010 7:27:41 AM, gavin.ogden wrote:
Why do people believe that they have the moral high ground? This is nothing but a self righteous act of ignorant zealots, and the next person who starts preaching AT me is going to find out whether they are right about the whole heaven/hell debate.


Yeah, that was mature.

It's less likely to get a positive response when you're preaching at people on the streets.

Why can't something like that happen around here. I would love to have a talk with that young man. Oh wait, people round here have been raised better then that. Sorry, I forgot.

Are you serious? There will be people like that everywhere. And just because your town thats nestled away in Alabama doesn't experience talk against Christianity, doesn't mean you were "raised better". If you are out in public, you will get people's opinions. And this guy decided to shut down her condemnations with yelling back at her. So what? We're supposed to drop down and pray when we see an open air preacher? Of course not. It's protected speech to preach in public but it's also protected speech to talk back at the preachers.

One of the tenants on atheism is an utter lack of respect.

And that was a respectful post? You managed to say you were raised better because you are a Christian and that all atheists are disrespectful. Please, back that up with evidence.

Well, you can't back it up. That would require you to know every atheist out there. You have a twisted and overall ignorant perspective if you think all atheists are like that.

What the Hell is wrong with people these days?

Many things. One of them: over-generalizations. They do not prove your case and instead, they cause people to overlook you in annoyance.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 5:54:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/2/2010 5:41:39 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 11/2/2010 5:05:49 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
That was freakin hilarious...Was that real?

Yep.

At 11/2/2010 4:57:48 PM, jharry wrote:
Yeah, that was mature. Why can't something like that happen around here. I would love to have a talk with that young man. Oh wait, people round here have been raised better then that. Sorry, I forgot. One of the tenants on atheism is an utter lack of respect.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Did you just make a sweeping generalisation?

Ew ew, I can find grammar errors to!!! Yeah!!!.

CALL THE POLITICAL CORRECTNESS POLICE.
Sorry, I forgot. Only Theist are allowed to do that.

Please show me an example of where I am wrong?
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 6:03:25 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/2/2010 5:54:07 PM, jharry wrote:
At 11/2/2010 5:41:39 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 11/2/2010 5:05:49 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
That was freakin hilarious...Was that real?

Yep.

At 11/2/2010 4:57:48 PM, jharry wrote:
Yeah, that was mature. Why can't something like that happen around here. I would love to have a talk with that young man. Oh wait, people round here have been raised better then that. Sorry, I forgot. One of the tenants on atheism is an utter lack of respect.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Did you just make a sweeping generalisation?

Ew ew, I can find grammar errors to!!! Yeah!!!.

http://www.logicalfallacies.info...

Ummm, what? I wasn't callling you on the spelling mistake the part I bolded was the 'sweeping generalisation' AND I didn't make a grammatical error as far as I can see. So you just look silly now.

CALL THE POLITICAL CORRECTNESS POLICE.
Sorry, I forgot. Only Theist are allowed to do that.

Please show me an example of where I am wrong?

How about saying that one of the core tenets of Atheism (again, it isn't a religion...) is being UTTERLY disrespectful?
A more accurate, yet still untrue statement would be "Atheists are UTTERLY disrespectful of my religious beliefs". This is true. Believing in God is, in my humble opinion, stupid.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 6:14:45 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/2/2010 6:03:25 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 11/2/2010 5:54:07 PM, jharry wrote:
At 11/2/2010 5:41:39 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 11/2/2010 5:05:49 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
That was freakin hilarious...Was that real?

Yep.

At 11/2/2010 4:57:48 PM, jharry wrote:
Yeah, that was mature. Why can't something like that happen around here. I would love to have a talk with that young man. Oh wait, people round here have been raised better then that. Sorry, I forgot. One of the tenants on atheism is an utter lack of respect.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Did you just make a sweeping generalisation?

Ew ew, I can find grammar errors to!!! Yeah!!!.

http://www.logicalfallacies.info...

Ummm, what? I wasn't callling you on the spelling mistake the part I bolded was the 'sweeping generalisation' AND I didn't make a grammatical error as far as I can see. So you just look silly now.

CALL THE POLITICAL CORRECTNESS POLICE.
Sorry, I forgot. Only Theist are allowed to do that.

Please show me an example of where I am wrong?

How about saying that one of the core tenets of Atheism (again, it isn't a religion...) is being UTTERLY disrespectful?
A more accurate, yet still untrue statement would be "Atheists are UTTERLY disrespectful of my religious beliefs". This is true. Believing in God is, in my humble opinion, stupid.

Oh. You are talking about how I said it. But then you agree that in your opinion my beliefs are stupid. Like I said. Disrespectful. Please show me where an atheist isn't disrespectful when addressing a theists beliefs.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 6:34:59 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/2/2010 5:53:53 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 11/2/2010 4:57:48 PM, jharry wrote:
At 11/2/2010 4:53:51 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 11/2/2010 7:27:41 AM, gavin.ogden wrote:
Why do people believe that they have the moral high ground? This is nothing but a self righteous act of ignorant zealots, and the next person who starts preaching AT me is going to find out whether they are right about the whole heaven/hell debate.


Yeah, that was mature.

It's less likely to get a positive response when you're preaching at people on the streets.

So that makes it ok for a person to act that way?


Why can't something like that happen around here. I would love to have a talk with that young man. Oh wait, people round here have been raised better then that. Sorry, I forgot.

Are you serious? There will be people like that everywhere. And just because your town thats nestled away in Alabama doesn't experience talk against Christianity, doesn't mean you were "raised better". If you are out in public, you will get people's opinions. And this guy decided to shut down her condemnations with yelling back at her. So what? We're supposed to drop down and pray when we see an open air preacher? Of course not. It's protected speech to preach in public but it's also protected speech to talk back at the preachers.

I've never seen that kind of behavior in real life. And I have seen many street preacher.There have been preachers that I have seriously disagreed with. I have engaged them in a civilized conversation, I DID NOT step in on them like that and I DID NOT point me finger in their face. And I did not do it to get a laugh or please the crowd. That was disrespectful in the highest. There is no rational excuse for that kind of behavior.

One of the tenants on atheism is an utter lack of respect.

And that was a respectful post? You managed to say you were raised better because you are a Christian and that all atheists are disrespectful. Please, back that up with evidence.

I've yet to meet or read anything any atheist has ever written that wasn't disrespectful. The one atheist (and the first) that I have ever actually meet we extremely disrespectful to me and every one else at the party. I was directing the comment at tvellalott and now you.

Well, you can't back it up. That would require you to know every atheist out there. You have a twisted and overall ignorant perspective if you think all atheists are like that.

Experience has told me otherwise. And you are forgetting something. The cool thing about tenets is that they are not always held by all.

What the Hell is wrong with people these days?

Many things. One of them: over-generalizations. They do not prove your case and instead, they cause people to overlook you in annoyance.

That is funny. When I call someone on it I don't have to go into detail. You seem to be looking for an excuse to over look me. :)
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 6:48:26 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/2/2010 6:14:45 PM, jharry wrote:
Oh. You are talking about how I said it. But then you agree that in your opinion my beliefs are stupid. Like I said. Disrespectful. Please show me where an atheist isn't disrespectful when addressing a theists beliefs.

I am quite open about my utter disrespect for religion. I don't like your God. I think he is lame and a real bad dude. Thus, I might come across as disrespectful in a religious discussion. However, if someone trumps me, I am willing to admit I'm wrong.
For example, pooka is a Christian, much like yourself. I doubt he would call me 'Utterly Disrespectful". In fact, I'm sure he knows that I have the upmost respect for him, as I've told him numerous times.
I respect you jharry and I respect your right to religious freedom.

Just don't get butthurt when you come on a religious forum as a Christian get told that Yahweh sucks and why we think he sucks. Don't take an attack on your God as a personal attack. I don't know you. You don't know me.

How the fvck can you judge me and call me disrespectful?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 6:50:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/2/2010 6:34:59 PM, jharry wrote:
At 11/2/2010 5:53:53 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 11/2/2010 4:57:48 PM, jharry wrote:
At 11/2/2010 4:53:51 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 11/2/2010 7:27:41 AM, gavin.ogden wrote:

So that makes it ok for a person to act that way?

What was wrong with that? He hurt her feelings or yours? I didn't see him shoot her.


I've never seen that kind of behavior in real life. And I have seen many street preacher.There have been preachers that I have seriously disagreed with. I have engaged them in a civilized conversation, I DID NOT step in on them like that and I DID NOT point me finger in their face. And I did not do it to get a laugh or please the crowd. That was disrespectful in the highest. There is no rational excuse for that kind of behavior.

Well, regardless of you stepping in and having 'civilized' conversations with the preachers, not everyone will use that tactic. It makes you wonder though... if yelling in her face pleased the crowd, she obviously was in the wrong place to preach anyways. And it didn't seem like anyone, besides you, had a problem with this. Was it rude? Possibly. Was he using the same tactics as her though? Yes. He was yelling but so was she. He was making no sense but was she? I don't think so... If you choose to preach about ANY religion in public, you have to be aware of the possibilities of something like this happening. She wanted to preach outside so she has to deal with it. Simple as that.

One question: Would you have a problem if the same guy did this to a Muslim preaching about the Qu'ran?

I've yet to meet or read anything any atheist has ever written that wasn't disrespectful. The one atheist (and the first) that I have ever actually meet we extremely disrespectful to me and every one else at the party. I was directing the comment at tvellalott and now you.

So, the only atheists YOU have ever met, were disrespectful so all atheists must be? That makes no sense. Luckily there are no tenants to Atheism since it isn't a religion. And also, I have met countless atheists that are amiable people and considerate of theists... I try to be civil but yes, I have been rude to you in the past. I tend to get upset though when you state things like this.

Are you saying that tvellalott and I are disrespectful?

Experience has told me otherwise. And you are forgetting something. The cool thing about tenets is that they are not always held by all.

Personal experience =/= universal truth

However, if you are trying to say that not all atheists are disrespectful and are negating your earlier post now, then I'm glad.

That is funny. When I call someone on it I don't have to go into detail. You seem to be looking for an excuse to over look me. :)

If you claim that atheist are disrespectful, the burden of proof is on you. And if I were looking for an excuse to overlook you, responding to your posts would make no sense. I'm here to prove you wrong in your assessment of all atheists.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 6:56:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/2/2010 6:48:26 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 11/2/2010 6:14:45 PM, jharry wrote:
Oh. You are talking about how I said it. But then you agree that in your opinion my beliefs are stupid. Like I said. Disrespectful. Please show me where an atheist isn't disrespectful when addressing a theists beliefs.

I am quite open about my utter disrespect for religion. I don't like your God. I think he is lame and a real bad dude. Thus, I might come across as disrespectful in a religious discussion. However, if someone trumps me, I am willing to admit I'm wrong.
For example, pooka is a Christian, much like yourself. I doubt he would call me 'Utterly Disrespectful". In fact, I'm sure he knows that I have the upmost respect for him, as I've told him numerous times.
I respect you jharry and I respect your right to religious freedom.

Just don't get butthurt when you come on a religious forum as a Christian get told that Yahweh sucks and why we think he sucks. Don't take an attack on your God as a personal attack. I don't know you. You don't know me.

How the fvck can you judge me and call me disrespectful?

Didn't you admit to being disrespectful? I'm sorry if I consider what that young mad did as disrespectful. That is how I was raised and I believe strongly in it. I made that generalization (sorry, I never say it spelled with a S instead of a D) because I feel it is true. There is no need in all the satire, we can talk like adults without all the b/s. Emotions will run high enough without all the insults.

All the attacks do nothing to stimulate a good conversation, this leads me to assume that you don't want a conversation. Maybe just another person to objectify and insult. I keep waiting for someone to prove me wrong.:(

I can sharply disagree with you in this thread and then crack jokes with you in another, the "butthurt" stays where it happens, if you can do the same. I can't do it by myself.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 7:23:56 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/2/2010 6:56:27 PM, jharry wrote:
At 11/2/2010 6:48:26 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 11/2/2010 6:14:45 PM, jharry wrote:
Oh. You are talking about how I said it. But then you agree that in your opinion my beliefs are stupid. Like I said. Disrespectful. Please show me where an atheist isn't disrespectful when addressing a theists beliefs.

I am quite open about my utter disrespect for religion. I don't like your God. I think he is lame and a real bad dude. Thus, I might come across as disrespectful in a religious discussion. However, if someone trumps me, I am willing to admit I'm wrong.
For example, pooka is a Christian, much like yourself. I doubt he would call me 'Utterly Disrespectful". In fact, I'm sure he knows that I have the upmost respect for him, as I've told him numerous times.
I respect you jharry and I respect your right to religious freedom.

Just don't get butthurt when you come on a religious forum as a Christian get told that Yahweh sucks and why we think he sucks. Don't take an attack on your God as a personal attack. I don't know you. You don't know me.

How the fvck can you judge me and call me disrespectful?

Didn't you admit to being disrespectful? I'm sorry if I consider what that young mad did as disrespectful. That is how I was raised and I believe strongly in it. I made that generalization (sorry, I never say it spelled with a S instead of a D) because I feel it is true. There is no need in all the satire, we can talk like adults without all the b/s. Emotions will run high enough without all the insults.

All the attacks do nothing to stimulate a good conversation, this leads me to assume that you don't want a conversation. Maybe just another person to objectify and insult. I keep waiting for someone to prove me wrong.:(

I can sharply disagree with you in this thread and then crack jokes with you in another, the "butthurt" stays where it happens, if you can do the same. I can't do it by myself.

I suppose my animosity stems from bad experiences with religion as well as my irreligous upbringing (Both my parents are Atheists. They're disrespectful too :D)
I don't mean anything by it. This is how I discuss religion.
I'm aware that I have an attacking style of questioning, but I'm not expecting that to change. I use emotive language and loaded questions intentionally.

Just try to remember, I'm not attacking you. I like you. If I didn't like you, I'd ignore you. My goal is always to get you questioning your beliefs. I'm sure if you didn't like having your beliefs questioned, you would have left this site quite quickly, because that's what we do. Again, I'm not intentionally malicious.

As for your final point, of course. I don't think I've ever remotely attacked you anywhere else, have I?

Oh, and I'm Australian. We spell things differently.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 7:28:25 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Since that has come up in this thread, I'll admit. I have quite a negative opinion of atheists, mostly because I have been ridiculed more than enough by them for my beliefs.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 7:33:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/2/2010 7:28:25 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Since that has come up in this thread, I'll admit. I have quite a negative opinion of atheists, mostly because I have been ridiculed more than enough by them for my beliefs.

It isn't negative enough not to date one, so I'm not too concerned. ^_-
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 7:34:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/2/2010 7:33:07 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 11/2/2010 7:28:25 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Since that has come up in this thread, I'll admit. I have quite a negative opinion of atheists, mostly because I have been ridiculed more than enough by them for my beliefs.

It isn't negative enough not to date one, so I'm not too concerned. ^_-

No, even he ridicules me, but I told him to keep his mouth shut or it's over.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 7:43:35 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/2/2010 7:34:24 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 11/2/2010 7:33:07 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 11/2/2010 7:28:25 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Since that has come up in this thread, I'll admit. I have quite a negative opinion of atheists, mostly because I have been ridiculed more than enough by them for my beliefs.

It isn't negative enough not to date one, so I'm not too concerned. ^_-

No, even he ridicules me, but I told him to keep his mouth shut or it's over.

Oh, :(
Anyway, I'm sorry if I've ever directly ridiculed you.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 7:45:12 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/2/2010 7:43:35 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 11/2/2010 7:34:24 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 11/2/2010 7:33:07 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 11/2/2010 7:28:25 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Since that has come up in this thread, I'll admit. I have quite a negative opinion of atheists, mostly because I have been ridiculed more than enough by them for my beliefs.

It isn't negative enough not to date one, so I'm not too concerned. ^_-

No, even he ridicules me, but I told him to keep his mouth shut or it's over.

Oh, :(
Anyway, I'm sorry if I've ever directly ridiculed you.

No, I don't think you have. Others have though. Ironically, my bf is the one who ridicules me the hardest. I actually did almost call the whole thing off once because he had me almost in tears.
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 7:57:26 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/2/2010 7:23:56 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 11/2/2010 6:56:27 PM, jharry wrote:
At 11/2/2010 6:48:26 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 11/2/2010 6:14:45 PM, jharry wrote:
Oh. You are talking about how I said it. But then you agree that in your opinion my beliefs are stupid. Like I said. Disrespectful. Please show me where an atheist isn't disrespectful when addressing a theists beliefs.

I am quite open about my utter disrespect for religion. I don't like your God. I think he is lame and a real bad dude. Thus, I might come across as disrespectful in a religious discussion. However, if someone trumps me, I am willing to admit I'm wrong.
For example, pooka is a Christian, much like yourself. I doubt he would call me 'Utterly Disrespectful". In fact, I'm sure he knows that I have the upmost respect for him, as I've told him numerous times.
I respect you jharry and I respect your right to religious freedom.

Just don't get butthurt when you come on a religious forum as a Christian get told that Yahweh sucks and why we think he sucks. Don't take an attack on your God as a personal attack. I don't know you. You don't know me.

How the fvck can you judge me and call me disrespectful?

Didn't you admit to being disrespectful? I'm sorry if I consider what that young mad did as disrespectful. That is how I was raised and I believe strongly in it. I made that generalization (sorry, I never say it spelled with a S instead of a D) because I feel it is true. There is no need in all the satire, we can talk like adults without all the b/s. Emotions will run high enough without all the insults.

All the attacks do nothing to stimulate a good conversation, this leads me to assume that you don't want a conversation. Maybe just another person to objectify and insult. I keep waiting for someone to prove me wrong.:(

I can sharply disagree with you in this thread and then crack jokes with you in another, the "butthurt" stays where it happens, if you can do the same. I can't do it by myself.

I suppose my animosity stems from bad experiences with religion as well as my irreligous upbringing (Both my parents are Atheists. They're disrespectful too :D)
I don't mean anything by it. This is how I discuss religion.
I'm aware that I have an attacking style of questioning, but I'm not expecting that to change. I use emotive language and loaded questions intentionally.

Ever considered the emotive language is attempting to make up for something?


Just try to remember, I'm not attacking you. I like you. If I didn't like you, I'd ignore you. My goal is always to get you questioning your beliefs. I'm sure if you didn't like having your beliefs questioned, you would have left this site quite quickly, because that's what we do. Again, I'm not intentionally malicious.

As for your final point, of course. I don't think I've ever remotely attacked you anywhere else, have I?

Not that I can recall right off. I was referring more to the attacks on religion and God though. And that they are not needed for a mature conversation. Have you ever considered that the attacks may automatically put the person you are talking to on defense or offensive and your questions may not be fully considered? Just asking?


Oh, and I'm Australian. We spell things differently.

Oh ok.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
gavin.ogden
Posts: 1,729
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 7:59:35 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/2/2010 5:54:07 PM, jharry wrote:
At 11/2/2010 5:41:39 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 11/2/2010 5:05:49 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
That was freakin hilarious...Was that real?

Yep.

At 11/2/2010 4:57:48 PM, jharry wrote:
Yeah, that was mature. Why can't something like that happen around here. I would love to have a talk with that young man. Oh wait, people round here have been raised better then that. Sorry, I forgot. One of the tenants on atheism is an utter lack of respect.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Did you just make a sweeping generalisation?

Ew ew, I can find grammar errors to!!! Yeah!!!.
TOO!!!!!!!!if you are going to make a point about grammar, at least use proper grammar yourself. JEEZ!


CALL THE POLITICAL CORRECTNESS POLICE.
Sorry, I forgot. Only Theist are allowed to do that.

Please show me an example of where I am wrong?
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 8:01:59 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/2/2010 7:59:35 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
At 11/2/2010 5:54:07 PM, jharry wrote:
At 11/2/2010 5:41:39 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 11/2/2010 5:05:49 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
That was freakin hilarious...Was that real?

Yep.

At 11/2/2010 4:57:48 PM, jharry wrote:
Yeah, that was mature. Why can't something like that happen around here. I would love to have a talk with that young man. Oh wait, people round here have been raised better then that. Sorry, I forgot. One of the tenants on atheism is an utter lack of respect.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Did you just make a sweeping generalisation?

Ew ew, I can find grammar errors to!!! Yeah!!!.
TOO!!!!!!!!if you are going to make a point about grammar, at least use proper grammar yourself. JEEZ!

Well. I was pointed out for bad grammar. That is a known. I just find it funny when all someone can add to a conversation is grammar errors.

Glad you caught that one, I don't think anyone knew what I was saying. Thanks for your addition to this conversation. Your a life saver. :)


CALL THE POLITICAL CORRECTNESS POLICE.
Sorry, I forgot. Only Theist are allowed to do that.

Please show me an example of where I am wrong?
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 8:08:25 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/2/2010 7:57:26 PM, jharry wrote:
I was referring more to the attacks on religion and God though. And that they are not needed for a mature conversation. Have you ever considered that the attacks may automatically put the person you are talking to on defense or offensive and your questions may not be fully considered? Just asking?

I'll try not to be so obnoxious in future. I struggle to be objective with religion. It seems so ridiculous to me. :/
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 8:11:04 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/2/2010 8:08:25 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 11/2/2010 7:57:26 PM, jharry wrote:
I was referring more to the attacks on religion and God though. And that they are not needed for a mature conversation. Have you ever considered that the attacks may automatically put the person you are talking to on defense or offensive and your questions may not be fully considered? Just asking?

I'll try not to be so obnoxious in future. I struggle to be objective with religion. It seems so ridiculous to me. :/

What?!?!?!?! An atheist that doesn't look at things objectively? :p

I'm so shocked. :)

I better stop before I make any more generalisations.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 9:51:39 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/2/2010 8:11:04 PM, jharry wrote:
At 11/2/2010 8:08:25 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 11/2/2010 7:57:26 PM, jharry wrote:
I was referring more to the attacks on religion and God though. And that they are not needed for a mature conversation. Have you ever considered that the attacks may automatically put the person you are talking to on defense or offensive and your questions may not be fully considered? Just asking?

I'll try not to be so obnoxious in future. I struggle to be objective with religion. It seems so ridiculous to me. :/

What?!?!?!?! An atheist that doesn't look at things objectively? :p

I'm so shocked. :)

I better stop before I make any more generalisations.

You're annoying. >_<
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...