Jump to topic:

What is your opinion of Jesus?

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 10:52:51 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
For Atheists, Agnostics, Christians, Muslims, etc, What is your opinion of Jesus?
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 12:19:28 AM
At 2/7/2016 10:52:51 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
For Atheists, Agnostics, Christians, Muslims, etc, What is your opinion of Jesus?
Which one?
The historical one or the bible one?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 12:25:05 AM

I have no firm historical picture of Jesus at all, Bronto, and no opinion of whether he existed historically or not.

But to me, the mythical picture of Jesus presented in the Gospels looks like a distortion of some failed martyr for Hellenistic Judaism, with later redaction and revision borrowing from other cultures.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 12:43:17 AM
At 2/8/2016 12:19:28 AM, bulproof wrote:
Which one?

Still supporting mass immigration to Europe bull?
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 12:54:30 AM
At 2/8/2016 12:43:17 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
Which one?

Still can't answer a single question I ask?
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 12:55:50 AM
At 2/8/2016 12:54:30 AM, bulproof wrote:
Which one?

You don't answer any. So I forget how. You must have fallen off the "tolerate the Muslims" horse. What happened?

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 12:57:26 AM
At 2/8/2016 12:55:50 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
Which one?

You don't answer any. So I forget how. You must have fallen off the "tolerate the Muslims" horse. What happened?
Which jesus did you say?
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 1:01:18 AM
At 2/8/2016 12:57:26 AM, bulproof wrote:
Which one?

Which jesus did you say?

It's like your nose holes. Pick one.

Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 3:00:27 AM

Jesus was crucified for his blasphemous lies and lunacy.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 3:03:13 AM
At 2/8/2016 3:00:27 AM, Harikrish wrote:

Jesus was crucified for his blasphemous lies and lunacy.

I thought Jesus wasn't crucified harikrish. What happened?

Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 3:11:59 AM

My opinion is that the character named Jesus which is portrayed in the bible stories, is a fictional character.
I believe that because no real man was ever born of a virgin, no real man ever had supernatural powers to do things like walk on water, raise people from the dead, turn water into wine, feed thousands with one persons lunch, make blind people see by simply telling them to go wash in some water, etc etc.
No real person can even follow such an example.

My opinion is that the character Jesus is a personification of a spiritual principle regarding living a WAY of LIFE in TRUTH.

I am of the opinion that the story is not about a physical man setting anyone free from anything but more about the TRUTH enlightening people ( opening spiritually blinded eyes) The TRUTH giving them "legs to stand on"... The TRUTH making them FREE from false doctrines, etc. The TRUTH feeding them in the sense of being food for thought as the BREAD of LIFE.

To me, it is about how humans perceive and treat the TRUTH. Some perceive it as a lie and consequently deny and reject it. Others perceive it as true and consequently believe it.
Very FEW see and accept both sides of the whole picture.
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 6:19:50 AM

Jesus our brother, was resurrected on the first day after the weekly Sabbath that followed the Passover, which is the festival of "First Fruits," and Jesus, the compilation of all the righteous spirits over whom death had no more power, who had died and were judged and separated from the unrighteous dead, and had entered into rest in the bosom of Abraham, was the First Fruits to be harvested from the body of mankind.

The first of many brothers and sisters to be born the children of God, not by blood, nor by the will of the flesh, nor by the will of man, but like our brother Jesus, who was filled with the spirit of the Lord that descended upon him in the form of a dove as the heavenly voice was heard to say, "You are my son, TODAY I have become your Father. The brothers and sisters, like their brother Jesus, are to be conformed to the glorious image of God's only begotten Son, "The Son of Man" who pays the penalty for the sins of the body=mankind in which he develops.

He who said in the Holy Scriptures, "And now I will summons the spirits of the good who belong to the generation of light, and I will transform those who were born in darkness, who, in the flesh were not recompensed with such honour as their faithfulness deserved. And I will bring forth in shining light those who have loved My holy name (Who I Am=JHWH,) and I will seat each one on the throne of his honour. And they shall be resplendent for times without number."

1Corinthians 15: There is of course a physical body, so there has to be a spiritual body. For the scriptures say, "The first man, Adam, was created a living being;" but the last Adam is a life giving Spirit. It is not the spiritual that comes first but the physical, and then the spiritual body.

Jesus, the first to win the victory and to receive a share of the glorious immortal body of light, which is that of our heavenly saviour, which body of light was torn asunder and poured out as fire on the heads of all those who believed his words as spoken through his servant "Jesus" for our salvation.

In his new glorious body of brilliant and blinding light, He, on the road to Damascus, answered Saul's question, "Who are you Lord?" with these words, "I am Jesus of Nazareth whom you persecute,"

Acts 3:13; The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, the God of our ancestors has given divine glory to his servant Jesus.

And Jesus our brother, was given divine glory and now sits in the throne of our Father, and all the chosen ones who have born the image of the first Adam, shall also bear the IMAGE of Jesus, "The Second Adam." For there is a new creation of bodies of Glorious and blinding Light that is the new Temple of our Lord that is to replace God"s old tabernacle (Mankind) as the ruler on this earth of all creation.

First, "MAN" (man 'enosh') in English, mortal human beings) was created a little lower than the angels, then he is crowned with glory and all creation is placed beneath his feet. All creation is placed beneath the feet of MAN (man 'enosh) in English, mortal human beings) WHO IS CROWNED WITH GLORY, we have not yet seen this happen.

But we have seen Jesus, the first born from the dead, who has won the victory and was given divine glory by our heavenly Father and saviour, and is now incontestably divine and sits in the heavenly throne of Godhead: and who, in Revelation 3: 21; invites those, who win the victory also, to sit with him in our Father's throne of Godhead within the creation. And all creation Visible and invisible, which, according to Paul, includes even the angels, (Which of course includes Michael) will bow at their feet.
Jerry947
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 6:49:15 PM
At 2/8/2016 2:41:23 AM, SNP1 wrote:
Depends on what you mean by Jesus.

I think the author of the OP is referring to the one that was crucified.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 7:24:54 PM
Which one?

why do gays tolerate muslims when muslims kill gays... odd really..
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 8:40:38 PM
At 2/9/2016 6:49:15 PM, Jerry947 wrote:
At 2/8/2016 2:41:23 AM, SNP1 wrote:
Depends on what you mean by Jesus.

I think the author of the OP is referring to the one that was crucified.

Many people named Jesus were crucified.
If the OP is talking about the Jesus that is the figurehead of the Christian Cult of the 1st&2nd centuries which later became the Christianity we know today, then I would say that he probably never existed. Belief in him started as a celestial being. Originally an archangel in Jewish Theology (which we can see thanks to the writings of Philo), was later made into a savior god similar to Romulus and Isis, who descended through the heavens and was crucified by Satan in the firmament (which is what the Ascension of Isaiah without the interpolation suggests).
Later, some people placed his celestial self on Earth (creating Doecism of Jesus). Two of the earliest Gospels (Mark and Gospel of the Lord) both have Gnostic/Marcionite leanings, and those were both Doecetic sects.
What became the Orthodoxy (later, the Roman Catholic church) used (or created) a purely Euhemerized version of the story, placing him fully on earth as a human.
The original version died out faster than the other two, leaving Doecism as the only competitor with the Orthodoxy view. The Orthodoxy got the positive attention from the Roman Empire, which helped it win out in the end, leaving people with a view of early Christianity with an Orthodoxy biased.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Jerry947
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 8:54:31 PM

Like who?

If the OP is talking about the Jesus that is the figurehead of the Christian Cult of the 1st&2nd centuries which later became the Christianity we know today, then I would say that he probably never existed. Belief in him started as a celestial being. Originally an archangel in Jewish Theology (which we can see thanks to the writings of Philo), was later made into a savior god similar to Romulus and Isis, who descended through the heavens and was crucified by Satan in the firmament (which is what the Ascension of Isaiah without the interpolation suggests).
Later, some people placed his celestial self on Earth (creating Doecism of Jesus). Two of the earliest Gospels (Mark and Gospel of the Lord) both have Gnostic/Marcionite leanings, and those were both Doecetic sects.
What became the Orthodoxy (later, the Roman Catholic church) used (or created) a purely Euhemerized version of the story, placing him fully on earth as a human.
The original version died out faster than the other two, leaving Doecism as the only competitor with the Orthodoxy view. The Orthodoxy got the positive attention from the Roman Empire, which helped it win out in the end, leaving people with a view of early Christianity with an Orthodoxy biased.

Could I see a link or something to back up your claims? I have never heard these things before. Can you please provide some evidence?
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 9:19:49 PM
At 2/9/2016 8:54:31 PM, Jerry947 wrote:

Like who?

Could I see a link or something to back up your claims? I have never heard these things before. Can you please provide some evidence?

For a bit of it, I would read the peer-reviewed book "On the Historicity of Jesus" by PhD Historian Richard Carrier.

He and I disagree on whether Doecism came before the purely human Jesus though. That is my own view that I am still currently looking into.

Some stuff you can look up (I don't have much in the way of links, just physical copies of books, journals, etc.)
Philo of Alexandria (a contemporary of "Paul") interprets Zechariah 6:11-12 in a way such that Jesus (he never uses the name Jesus or Joshua, but the connection to Zechariah makes it clear that the name would be Joshua/Jesus) was a celestial being (Joshua=Jesus) who would be/is the Messiah. Him, being a Platonic thinker, helps us understand that he viewed Jesus as a pre-existing celestial being, an archangel of sorts.
This idea probably was not unique to him. This is because he describes this "Jesus" in a way that "Paul" does in the epistles, and there is no way that Paul could have known about Philo's writings (they wrote around the same time, but Philo did so in Alexandria, Egypt, far enough away).

Both Paul and Philo describe "Jesus" as:
Firstborn son of god
Celestial image of god
God"s agent of creation
God"s celestial high priest

Something interesting is that the "Authentic Pauline Epistles" never really talk about a historical Jesus but a celestial one (Richard Carrier and Raphael Lataster do a good job at outlining this).

As for the dating of the Gospels, I take a view that not too many take.
I take the view that Mark 13 doesn't talk about the revolt in 70CE, but the revolt in 135CE.
I also take the view that Luke used the Gospel of the Lord as a base for his Gospel.
Matthew still had to use Mark (synoptic problem), and most other Gospels are dated after 140CE already.
This leaves Mark and Macrion's Gospels as being the earliest 2.

PhD historian Robert M Price (and a few others) does a good job at outlining the Gnostic background of Mark.
Marcion's Gospel obviously is Marcionite in nature.

This puts Doecism as possibly (I would say probably) coming before the idea of a purely human Jesus.

I will say, the best sources for this are the works of Richard Carrier, Robert Price, Raphael Lataster, and Hermann Detering. There are other good sources as well (the book "Marcion and Luke-Acts: A Defining Struggle" is one example), but I do recommend those 4 first.
#WarOnDDO
Jerry947
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 9:27:34 PM
At 2/9/2016 9:19:49 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 2/9/2016 8:54:31 PM, Jerry947 wrote:

Like who?

For a bit of it, I would read the peer-reviewed book "On the Historicity of Jesus" by PhD Historian Richard Carrier.

He and I disagree on whether Doecism came before the purely human Jesus though. That is my own view that I am still currently looking into.

Some stuff you can look up (I don't have much in the way of links, just physical copies of books, journals, etc.)
Philo of Alexandria (a contemporary of "Paul") interprets Zechariah 6:11-12 in a way such that Jesus (he never uses the name Jesus or Joshua, but the connection to Zechariah makes it clear that the name would be Joshua/Jesus) was a celestial being (Joshua=Jesus) who would be/is the Messiah. Him, being a Platonic thinker, helps us understand that he viewed Jesus as a pre-existing celestial being, an archangel of sorts.
This idea probably was not unique to him. This is because he describes this "Jesus" in a way that "Paul" does in the epistles, and there is no way that Paul could have known about Philo's writings (they wrote around the same time, but Philo did so in Alexandria, Egypt, far enough away).

Both Paul and Philo describe "Jesus" as:
Firstborn son of god
Celestial image of god
God"s agent of creation
God"s celestial high priest

Something interesting is that the "Authentic Pauline Epistles" never really talk about a historical Jesus but a celestial one (Richard Carrier and Raphael Lataster do a good job at outlining this).

As for the dating of the Gospels, I take a view that not too many take.
I take the view that Mark 13 doesn't talk about the revolt in 70CE, but the revolt in 135CE.
I also take the view that Luke used the Gospel of the Lord as a base for his Gospel.
Matthew still had to use Mark (synoptic problem), and most other Gospels are dated after 140CE already.
This leaves Mark and Macrion's Gospels as being the earliest 2.

PhD historian Robert M Price (and a few others) does a good job at outlining the Gnostic background of Mark.
Marcion's Gospel obviously is Marcionite in nature.

This puts Doecism as possibly (I would say probably) coming before the idea of a purely human Jesus.

I will say, the best sources for this are the works of Richard Carrier, Robert Price, Raphael Lataster, and Hermann Detering. There are other good sources as well (the book "Marcion and Luke-Acts: A Defining Struggle" is one example), but I do recommend those 4 first.

I will look into it. But don't you ever find it strange that 99% of all scholars agree that Jesus was a real person. This is due to the references made by the people/historians of the time period (like Josephus). I should have a debate of this at some point because I already see many flaws with what you just said.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 9:51:33 PM

He is great King. Best man ever.:)
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 9:54:35 PM
At 2/9/2016 9:27:34 PM, Jerry947 wrote:
I will look into it. But don't you ever find it strange that 99% of all scholars agree that Jesus was a real person.

Actually, many scholars admit they are agnostic. It is true that the majority take that position, but the majority of biblical scholars also admit that there are looser standards for early Christianity than any other period of time in history. They even say that they hold these looser standards because if the standards were the same as other periods, almost nothing could be known about Jesus and determining what was the origin of Christianity would be a lot harder.

These looser standards also are what lead to there not being a real consensus about Jesus. There are so many differing views of who Jesus was that are mutually exclusive from each other, with so many different scholars taking different views that it is impossible to actually establish a consensus.

This is due to the references made by the people/historians of the time period (like Josephus).

Except that the two passages that are relevant in Josephus are thought to be forgeries.
One is heavily thought to be, but some scholars like to pretend that there must be an authentic skeleton to it (despite there still being problems if there is a skeleton and there being no evidence of such a skeleton to it).
The other is not addressed by as many people, but also thought to be a forgery by many (Richard Carrier addresses it in his book "On the Historicity of Jesus").

I don't hold this position half-assedly. I am studying history with a focus on early Christianity with a hope to get a PhD in either Ancient History or New Testament History.

I should have a debate of this at some point because I already see many flaws with what you just said.

I may debate it at some point, but not at this point in time. I am trying to find a job, write a book, moving into a new place, etc. all at the same time. I don't have too much time for a debate.
#WarOnDDO
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 9:57:13 PM
At 2/9/2016 9:27:34 PM, Jerry947 wrote:
I should have a debate of this at some point because I already see many flaws with what you just said.

Also, I will not have an over-arching debate about the subjects. It would be impossible to cover so much with so little room to debate.

For example, I will not wish to address the sates of Mark, Luke, etc. in the same debate as if Jesus existed or not.
I also don't wish to debate the specifics of who "Paul" was or what the "Authentic Epistles" say in the same debate is dating the Gospels.
I think you could understand this.
#WarOnDDO
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 1:09:23 AM

I have no idea of the historic accuracy of the guy. Much of it sounds like it was an amalgam. If I take the stories at face value - sans mysticism - he sounds like a nice enough guy.
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 1:25:22 AM

- Jesus (pbuh), son of Mary (pbuh), the Word of God, one of the greatest prophets, the Messiah.
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
Pase66
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 3:24:37 AM

Eh. Seemed like a cool guy. Definitely want to get stoned with him.
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 4:50:38 AM
At 2/10/2016 1:25:22 AM, Yassine wrote:

- Jesus (pbuh), son of Mary (pbuh), the Word of God, one of the greatest prophets, the Messiah.

When you say messiah, what does that mean to you?

DanMGTOW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 5:07:52 AM

the stories of jesus may have been based on a real person, the same way that stories of robin hood and santa clause may have been based on real people.
however extraordinary claims require evidence, so i doubt any of the "miracles" around jesus are really as "witnesses" claim. the same way that witnesses of alien abductions can't provide actual evidence to back up their claims.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 5:32:16 AM
At 2/10/2016 5:07:52 AM, DanMGTOW wrote:

the stories of jesus may have been based on a real person, the same way that stories of robin hood and santa clause may have been based on real people.
however extraordinary claims require evidence, so i doubt any of the "miracles" around jesus are really as "witnesses" claim. the same way that witnesses of alien abductions can't provide actual evidence to back up their claims.

Maybe this will help as a start.

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 5:32:44 AM
(In the end of days)
They will say, "Where is this 'coming' he promised? Ever since our ancestors died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation." 2 Peter 3:4

Most importantly, I want to remind you that in the last days scoffers will come, mocking the truth and following their own desires. 2 Peter 3:3

-(In the end of days)

And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony about Jesus and because of the word of God. Revelation 20:4

ISIS Beheading Christians

http://www.breitbart.com...

-For the Good News must first be preached to all nations. Mark 13:10

2.2 billion Christians

www.pewforum.org/2012/12/18/global-religious-landscape-exec/?utm_content=bufferf682f&utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer

DanMGTOW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 8:40:47 AM
At 2/10/2016 5:32:16 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 2/10/2016 5:07:52 AM, DanMGTOW wrote:

Maybe this will help as a start.

the bible says a lot of things, why do you believe any of the supernatural claims?
i was a baptist for 20 years until i read the entire bible and realized it was a collection of fairy tales. do you believe the story of "noah's flood" was an actual world wide flood less than 10,000 years ago?
if so have you looked for evidence that "noah's flood" actually happened?
because i have, and i couldn't find any evidence that the world was flooded less than 10,000 years ago.