Allah is not Yahweh

dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 2:39:15 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
I guess the question is now settled:

US professor who said Christians and Muslims 'worship the same God' to leave school

http://www.abc.net.au...

A professor at an evangelical university near Chicago who got in trouble for saying Muslims and Christians worship the same God will leave the school, according to a joint statement released by Wheaton College.

Larycia Hawkins, a tenured political science professor, had been scheduled for a disciplinary hearing in five days to determine whether she would be allowed to remain at Wheaton.
augcaesarustus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 5:09:44 AM
At 2/8/2016 2:39:15 AM, dee-em wrote:

US professor who said Christians and Muslims 'worship the same God' to leave school

A professor at an evangelical university near Chicago who got in trouble for saying Muslims and Christians worship the same God will leave the school, according to a joint statement released by Wheaton College.

Larycia Hawkins, a tenured political science professor, had been scheduled for a disciplinary hearing in five days to determine whether she would be allowed to remain at Wheaton.

This is an interesting article. Doesn't the Quran actually contend that it is the final revelation of the God revealed to both Moses and Jesus Christ?

Yahweh might have initially been worshiped as a distinct Jewish God, but over time Yahweh merged into 'God' or 'The Most High'. One could argue that Allah (which is actually Arabic for God, used even by Christian Arabs and Jewish Arabs) was initially El, the Canaanite God; but as our understanding of God evolved, so did the language used to described God.

I think when people talk about God being different, they refer to God as being revealed in the various different scriptures; so that the God revealed through Jesus is different to the God revealed through Muhammad.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 5:28:07 AM
I think the professor's sacking must be down to modern politics not ancient theology.

Judaism, Islam and Christianity are so closely related that a man from Mars might consider them different sects rather than different religions.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 9:54:19 AM
At 2/8/2016 5:28:07 AM, keithprosser wrote:
I think the professor's sacking must be down to modern politics not ancient theology.

Yes, I was being tongue-in-cheek with the title. The Abrahamic religions have a common god irrespective of this Christian college and their inability to accept it.

Judaism, Islam and Christianity are so closely related that a man from Mars might consider them different sects rather than different religions.

Well, I might argue that Christianity is the odd one out with their emphasis on Jesus as a god-man and saviour. The trinity too. No, I think Christianity is off to one side. Definitely.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 10:37:46 AM

That disciplinary action is appallingly wrong, academically, intellectually and democratically.

In an unrelated matter, it's perfectly defensible to hold that Allah is not the Christian Jehovah. And you could use the same argument to point out that neither is the Judaic Yahweh, who is in turn not the Israelite Yahweh. But even if you held that, that's no reason to trample the intellectual freedoms of those academics who believe otherwise and support humanitarian ideals.

So... right reasoning, terrible outcome. :P
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 7:17:25 PM
Well, I might argue that Christianity is the odd one out with their emphasis on Jesus as a god-man and saviour. The trinity too. No, I think Christianity is off to one side. Definitely.

Not really all that different from Islam which emphases Mohammed. Judaism is different because it doesn't emphasise any one individual.... They are all off to one side in one way or another!
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 7:18:48 PM

Absolutely true.

In reality Allah is Satan ins disguise, fooling many and instilling in them a love of extremism.
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 10:20:17 PM

- Tell that to the Arab Christians & Jews.
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 5:25:11 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
If Allah was Yahweh, he'd have a name. He's the only nameless god I've ever heard of. His real name is Satan, but since he did not give up his real name, we must pretend he's nameless in order to be politically correct.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
VirBinarus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 6:15:34 PM
At 2/8/2016 7:17:25 PM, keithprosser wrote:

Not really all that different from Islam which emphases Mohammed. Judaism is different because it doesn't emphasise any one individual.... They are all off to one side in one way or another!

No, but more specifically, Islam doesn't have a saviour.
"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."
1 thessalonians, 5:11
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 6:17:40 PM
At 3/2/2016 6:15:34 PM, VirBinarus wrote:

They think the black stone in the kaaba that "fell from Heaven"...ahem... is thier savior.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 6:39:46 PM
At 3/2/2016 6:17:40 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

They think the black stone in the kaaba that "fell from Heaven"...ahem... is thier savior.

At the very least, their "savior" actually exists.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 7:54:30 PM
At 3/2/2016 6:39:46 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Are you disagreeing and squabbling with historians who you know more than again dannaje?

DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 8:20:16 PM
At 3/2/2016 7:54:30 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Are you disagreeing and squabbling with historians who you know more than again dannaje?

So, you consider yourself a historian now?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 9:25:32 PM
At 3/2/2016 8:20:16 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 3/2/2016 7:54:30 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

So, you consider yourself a historian now?

I've studied history a lot, but nevertheless I go with the historian experts even Atheist ones who say Jesus is a historical figure. There's more evidence outside of the Bible for Jesus than Tiberius Caesar himself. Am I to forsake the historocity of the Caesars?