Jump to topic:

Religious experience

janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 8:06:07 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Have you ever had a religious experience? Such as God speaking to you/communicating with you, or feeling the Holy Spirit while praying etc.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 8:55:59 PM
At 2/8/2016 8:06:07 PM, janesix wrote:
Have you ever had a religious experience? Such as God speaking to you/communicating with you, or feeling the Holy Spirit while praying etc.

As well, I wonder if those who answer might also tell us how they know it is God speaking/communicating with them or how they would know it was the Holy Spirit they were feeling?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
SevenDust
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 12:41:18 AM

Janesix,
From what I see, feel, and experience on a daily basis, I believe God speaks to each and every one of us every day ,so either we acknowledge it or we don"t. An example would be if you steal for the sake of stealing. Any rational person realizes that stealing is wrong, and usually that wrong manifest itself into guilt. Granted some people are able to disconnect that guilt, and I believe once people do this, they create a downward spiral that is very hard to recover from. This may not be what you were looking for, but it"s the easiest way I know how to explain the communication aspect of who God is
Morality is of the highest importance - but for us, not for God.
Albert Einstein
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 12:50:01 AM
At 2/9/2016 12:41:18 AM, SevenDust wrote:

Janesix,
From what I see, feel, and experience on a daily basis, I believe God speaks to each and every one of us every day ,so either we acknowledge it or we don"t. An example would be if you steal for the sake of stealing. Any rational person realizes that stealing is wrong, and usually that wrong manifest itself into guilt. Granted some people are able to disconnect that guilt, and I believe once people do this, they create a downward spiral that is very hard to recover from. This may not be what you were looking for, but it"s the easiest way I know how to explain the communication aspect of who God is

That is called morality, common sense, knowing what is right and wrong.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump
SevenDust
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 1:11:12 AM
At 2/9/2016 12:50:01 AM, Rosalie wrote:

Janesix,

Rosalie,
Through the example I described, those people would steal regardless if it was right or wrong. You can disconnect yourself to the point that the only thing that matters is what you want, regardless who or what gets in your way. So their morality and common sense are ultimately challenged in this situation.
Albert Einstein
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 1:12:31 AM

Janesix,

God = conscience?
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 1:12:33 AM
At 2/9/2016 1:11:12 AM, SevenDust wrote:

Janesix,

Rosalie,
Through the example I described, those people would steal regardless if it was right or wrong. You can disconnect yourself to the point that the only thing that matters is what you want, regardless who or what gets in your way. So their morality and common sense are ultimately challenged in this situation.

But if God truly loves his children, wouldn't he prevent his children from making poor decisions?
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump
SevenDust
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 1:33:23 AM
At 2/9/2016 1:12:31 AM, dee-em wrote:

Janesix,

God = conscience?

Dee-um,
IMO, yes. Granted the only proof I have of this is through my own experiences, but I truly believe that God is in everyone. Through all our pain, and guilt we must answer the question, who am I. I feel that the only way to answer this is through your consciousness, the only place where God speaks.
Albert Einstein
SevenDust
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 1:40:34 AM
At 2/9/2016 1:12:33 AM, Rosalie wrote:
At 2/9/2016 1:11:12 AM, SevenDust wrote:

Janesix,

Rosalie,

But if God truly loves his children, wouldn't he prevent his children from making poor decisions?

Rosalie,
I don"t know if you have children, but the only way for children to learn is to let go from time to time. But it"s our job to show them how to fail with grace. In other words teach them to don"t hate that they made a mistake, be thankful and learn from it.
Albert Einstein
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 1:42:34 AM
At 2/9/2016 1:33:23 AM, SevenDust wrote:

Janesix,

God = conscience?

Dee-um,
IMO, yes. Granted the only proof I have of this is through my own experiences, but I truly believe that God is in everyone.

He's not in me. My conscience is a product of my brain and was fashioned by the society I live in and my upbringing within my family and that society. If I lived in a different society and at a different time then I might think that removing the scalp of my vanquished foe after raiding their village might be quite normal and proper. Surely the voice of God would be constant if it really was external to us?

Through all our pain, and guilt we must answer the question, who am I. I feel that the only way to answer this is through your consciousness, the only place where God speaks.

God doesn't seem to speak to sociopaths and psychopaths. Why the discrimination?
SevenDust
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 2:17:04 AM
At 2/9/2016 1:42:34 AM, dee-em wrote:

Janesix,

God = conscience?

Dee-um,
IMO, yes. Granted the only proof I have of this is through my own experiences, but I truly believe that God is in everyone.

He's not in me. My conscience is a product of my brain and was fashioned by the society I live in and my upbringing within my family and that society. If I lived in a different society and at a different time then I might think that removing the scalp of my vanquished foe after raiding their village might be quite normal and proper. Surely the voice of God would be constant if it really was external to us?

Dee-um, Society and family upbringing only show you how you should behave according to a set standard, It"s up to use to decide if they are correct. That is where our conscience comes into play. I myself would never agree that scalping someone would be proper. But even in those dark times Gods voice was always constant, but even then they had a choice to listen or not.

Through all our pain, and guilt we must answer the question, who am I. I feel that the only way to answer this is through your consciousness, the only place where God speaks.

God doesn't seem to speak to sociopaths and psychopaths. Why the discrimination?

No discrimination. Again they either listen or they don"t.
Albert Einstein
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 2:35:21 AM
At 2/9/2016 2:17:04 AM, SevenDust wrote:

Janesix,

God = conscience?

Dee-um,

Dee-um, Society and family upbringing only show you how you should behave according to a set standard, It"s up to use to decide if they are correct. That is where our conscience comes into play. I myself would never agree that scalping someone would be proper.

I don't think so. We are all products of our environment whether you admit it to yourself or not. The values you hold were instilled in you by your society. A different society, different values. Christians were burning 'witches' at the stake only a few centuries ago. No-one protested. They enjoyed the spectacle. Suicide bombers today go to their deaths on the promise of 40 virgins in an afterlife. I'm sure they would tell you they had voices in their head telling them that this was god's will.

But even in those dark times Gods voice was always constant, but even then they had a choice to listen or not.

How could you possibly know that?

You miss the point. Certain people have no conscience. They are born that way. They have no small voice in their head, internal or external, telling them whether something is right or wrong. So I repeat. Why the discrimination?

Btw, isn't the idea of God whispering in our heads contrary to the notion of free will? The choices may be ours but he is certainly trying to influence those choices (according to you).
SevenDust
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 3:37:50 AM
At 2/9/2016 2:35:21 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 2/9/2016 2:17:04 AM, SevenDust wrote:

Janesix,

God = conscience?

Dee-um,

Dee-um, Society and family upbringing only show you how you should behave according to a set standard, It"s up to use to decide if they are correct. That is where our conscience comes into play. I myself would never agree that scalping someone would be proper.

I don't think so. We are all products of our environment whether you admit it to yourself or not. The values you hold were instilled in you by your society. A different society, different values. Christians were burning 'witches' at the stake only a few centuries ago. No-one protested. They enjoyed the spectacle. Suicide bombers today go to their deaths on the promise of 40 virgins in an afterlife. I'm sure they would tell you they had voices in their head telling them that this was god's will.

Again, I agree with Dee-um, we are all shaped by our environment and society. But what I"m trying to say is we are not bound to it. If someone says to you to turn right are you going to turn, or are you going to ask why. There comes a point when we all must separate ourselves from the masses.

When it comes to Christians and their hypocrisy, again you are correct. They love to hide behind the Bible, and justify their actions. I"m sure before they burned those poor people they were reading Exodus 22-18 which reads Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live. The only voice they heard was their own. I myself detest religion; it"s no different IMO than the Mafia. But the voice I listen to doesn"t speak. I know that it hard to understand but the only way to explain it is a knowing without knowing why you know.

But even in those dark times Gods voice was always constant, but even then they had a choice to listen or not.

How could you possibly know that?

I don"t, just a thought.

You miss the point. Certain people have no conscience. They are born that way. They have no small voice in their head, internal or external, telling them whether something is right or wrong. So I repeat. Why the discrimination?

I personally don"t believe people have no conscience. Since we are shaped by our environment and our upbringing, could it not be the upbringing or the environment that is to blame? I see no discrimination, I see a very sad and angry person whose innocence was stripped from a very young age.

Btw, isn't the idea of God whispering in our heads contrary to the notion of free will? The choices may be ours but he is certainly trying to influence those choices (according to you).

It"s not a whisper but a knowing. I never said God influences our choices.
Albert Einstein
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 4:18:49 AM

No... but, i have had some cool experiences.

I have said this first story a lot on here... so i will sum it up... something told me in my head to heal a friend... and when i touched him he healed... The odd part of the experience was the progression. Friends bringing me to my friend throwing up blood, calling paramedics, something in my head saying, "tell everyone to leave, you can heal him," getting a fuzzy/energy feeling from the thought, told everyone to leave, waited hoping my friend will stop, looked at him, he looked like he was in pain, said F-it in my head, there is no way this will work, touched his head... everything now happening simultaneously: touched his head, fuzzy feeling went out of me, moment last of it left my hand; friend went from looking like death, to getting comfortable. This one blew my mind when it happened.

Before that experience there was another one. I would say this is a weaker experience. I went to a friend that i saw for weed. I always got it from him, but he was a opium addict himself. All that did is take him forever to get to me. But, one day he told me his "supply" wont sell to him anymore and they pointed a gun at him so he ran away. He was happy to be alive and boasted how he got away from the gang members. I saw him the next week... he looked like a ghost. I asked him if he is okay. He told me yeah, but something weird happened to him that night. I asked what of course. He said every time he was about to fall asleep, so shadow figure would come at him... he could not make out faces but said they were all menacing. So, he couldn't get good sleep. I asked if it is from drug withdrawal, he didn't know bc he had his drugs he said, and that was the first time he had any kind of hallucination. Well, i call him a couple days later... turns out he was killed the night of our conversation.

Next... this was another strong experience. I was at a friends house and he swore it was haunted. Btw... i am always skeptical in these situations...anyways, i said prove it. But a little back ground on him... his house had holes in the wall, was a mess, and a lot of anger and yelling bw him and his dad. Anyways, he said take of my necklace to prove to me something is there. I have a necklace with a ring on it (real ring so heavy). Btw, i have tried this other times to make it work and it hasn't like it did with this kid. . . so, I held my necklace like my life depended on it. I made sure i was snug so my arms wouldn't make it spin. My friend starts going off... cussing, yelling, and telling the pos spirit that is there to spin my necklace. It started spinning... then it started spinning violently... i would have had to spin it myself for it to do that. But, i still thought somehow it could have been me... so, i told my friend to tell the "ghost" to first: stop the spin and second to spin it the other way... I swear, on demand... told it to stop it and it came to a slow stop... told it to spin the other way... started to violently spin the other way... this one really creeped me out... i literally got out of his house. Another, fact tho... i would go there and try it again.... but, he died a week later.

Those are some of the more recent ones... i have more.