Why do you have faith?

12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 8:48:32 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 2/8/2016 8:09:38 PM, janesix wrote:
Is it because you were brought up to believe in God, or are there other reasons?

I have understood that faith is form of word faithful, which means loyal. I want to be loyal to God, because I understand He is good.

And I have understood that Bible tells wisdom and truth. Understanding is more important than belief. But I also believe, because I have no reason to not believe that murder for example is wrong. Bible is mainly about good and right. It doesn"t really demand much to believe it is correct about truth, right and wrong. But still I think it rather needs understanding than believing.

I believe what the Bible tells about God also, because I see it true about everything it says. In my opinion Bible has wisdom that is many times greater than wisdom of the people. That is also one reason why I believe God has influenced in it and in the people who wrote it. I can"t believe people would have written that honest text without God.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 8:50:28 PM
At 2/8/2016 8:48:32 PM, 12_13 wrote:
Is it because you were brought up to believe in God, or are there other reasons?

I have understood that faith is form of word faithful, which means loyal. I want to be loyal to God, because I understand He is good.

And I have understood that Bible tells wisdom and truth. Understanding is more important than belief. But I also believe, because I have no reason to not believe that murder for example is wrong. Bible is mainly about good and right. It doesn"t really demand much to believe it is correct about truth, right and wrong. But still I think it rather needs understanding than believing.

I believe what the Bible tells about God also, because I see it true about everything it says. In my opinion Bible has wisdom that is many times greater than wisdom of the people. That is also one reason why I believe God has influenced in it and in the people who wrote it. I can"t believe people would have written that honest text without God.

You don't have the ability to tell right and wrong without a book?
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 8:51:53 PM

Because it is the most coherent understanding of life.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 8:59:24 PM
At 2/8/2016 8:51:53 PM, Geogeer wrote:

When did you come to that understanding? After you were brought up to believe it, or were you brought up as an atheist?
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 9:01:58 PM
At 2/8/2016 8:59:24 PM, janesix wrote:

When did you come to that understanding? After you were brought up to believe it, or were you brought up as an atheist?

Brought up. However, it has not been without questioning.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 9:04:53 PM
At 2/8/2016 9:01:58 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Have you ever had a religious experience, or is your belief totally intellectual?
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 9:08:57 PM
At 2/8/2016 9:04:53 PM, janesix wrote:

Have you ever had a religious experience, or is your belief totally intellectual?

I've never had a religious experience of the type you would consider. Any such thing would be classified as little moments. It is for the most part intellectual, but an intellectual belief made present through lived experience.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 9:11:50 PM
At 2/8/2016 9:08:57 PM, Geogeer wrote:

I've never had a religious experience of the type you would consider. Any such thing would be classified as little moments. It is for the most part intellectual, but an intellectual belief made present through lived experience.

Is there anything you would consider to be "evidence" of God?
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 9:20:14 PM
At 2/8/2016 9:11:50 PM, janesix wrote:
At 2/8/2016 9:08:57 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Is there anything you would consider to be "evidence" of God?

Oh you can go over the big things like big bang (everything comes from something), the sheer improbability of life let alone us. But for me I find that two of the strongest arguments is Saints and beauty. A saint is one who pours out their life is selflessness for others. That this life seems to always contradict our baser desires yet is ultimately the life better lived seems to be a strong indicator to me. The other is our inner desire for beauty. We will forego much and perhaps everything for true beauty. Both of these are best explained by the Catholic faith which has the deepest theology and greatest explanatory understanding of this.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 9:32:39 PM
creator? That makes no sense.

It's an interesting and challenging thing to propose to an Atheist. I found my faith in a life changing prayer. I prayed to God to help me have faith. I had put the burden on Him. What followed was a grouping of bizarre and strange coincidences. Everytime I would start to think it was my imagination I would pray again for him to help me have faith. The same began happening again. It got so bizarre that I started writing them down each time they would occur. The list is unsermountable now. As I began talking to people of real faith, I would tell them and they would confirm that this was what happened with them too. It's as if God has a way of communicating that is unexplainable to others. You just have to go through it for yourself. There appears to be a trend or a bizarre pattern that ingulfs your life. That's why I keep telling you to try and reach to Him, to put it on his shoulders. I found out later that Thomas had done exactly what I had done which amazed me. Jesus said,"Where do you doubt?" Thomas replied, "help my unbelief". Jesus showed him the scars in his hands, but not until he asked.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 9:36:06 PM
At 2/8/2016 9:32:39 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

It's an interesting and challenging thing to propose to an Atheist. I found my faith in a life changing prayer. I prayed to God to help me have faith. I had put the burden on Him. What followed was a grouping of bizarre and strange coincidences. Everytime I would start to think it was my imagination I would pray again for him to help me have faith. The same began happening again. It got so bizarre that I started writing them down each time they would occur. The list is unsermountable now. As I began talking to people of real faith, I would tell them and they would confirm that this was what happened with them too. It's as if God has a way of communicating that is unexplainable to others. You just have to go through it for yourself. There appears to be a trend or a bizarre pattern that ingulfs your life. That's why I keep telling you to try and reach to Him, to put it on his shoulders. I found out later that Thomas had done exactly what I had done which amazed me. Jesus said,"Where do you doubt?" Thomas replied, "help my unbelief". Jesus showed him the scars in his hands, but not until he asked.

God seems to have a strange way of communicating with people. I wonder why God isn't more direct.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 9:40:22 PM
At 2/8/2016 9:36:06 PM, janesix wrote:

God seems to have a strange way of communicating with people. I wonder why God isn't more direct.

That may just not be how He works, or there is something about this way that prepares us for a greater reality that we cannot know and maybe can't understand, at least not yet. I'm just speculating though.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 9:42:00 PM
At 2/8/2016 9:40:22 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

That may just not be how He works, or there is something about this way that prepares us for a greater reality that we cannot know and maybe can't understand, at least not yet. I'm just speculating though.

I suspect that perhaps we are unable to really understand. It might be like us trying to communicate with an ant.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 9:44:41 PM

It's an interesting and challenging thing to propose to an Atheist. I found my faith in a life changing prayer. I prayed to God to help me have faith. I had put the burden on Him. What followed was a grouping of bizarre and strange coincidences. Everytime I would start to think it was my imagination I would pray again for him to help me have faith. The same began happening again. It got so bizarre that I started writing them down each time they would occur. The list is unsermountable now.

Isn't that just OCD?

As I began talking to people of real faith, I would tell them and they would confirm that this was what happened with them too. It's as if God has a way of communicating that is unexplainable to others. You just have to go through it for yourself. There appears to be a trend or a bizarre pattern that ingulfs your life. That's why I keep telling you to try and reach to Him, to put it on his shoulders. I found out later that Thomas had done exactly what I had done which amazed me. Jesus said,"Where do you doubt?" Thomas replied, "help my unbelief". Jesus showed him the scars in his hands, but not until he asked.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 9:45:10 PM
Isaiah 45:15
"Truly, O God, our Savior, you work in mysterious ways."

John 14:26
But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have told you.

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 9:56:36 PM
At 2/8/2016 9:42:00 PM, janesix wrote:

I suspect that perhaps we are unable to really understand. It might be like us trying to communicate with an ant.

Are you saying we are too stupid to communicate with? ;-)

janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 9:59:07 PM
At 2/8/2016 9:56:36 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Something to that effect. It seems more though that our realities are different. I notice often that communication is more "associative"as things come together through synchronicities. It also seems more symbolic in nature.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 10:11:06 PM
At 2/8/2016 9:59:07 PM, janesix wrote:
At 2/8/2016 9:56:36 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Something to that effect. It seems more though that our realities are different. I notice often that communication is more "associative"as things come together through synchronicities. It also seems more symbolic in nature.

This is true. If I want to know what a person is thinking I notice their body language, facial expressions, etc. In basketball I usrd to communicate with other players with gestures, usually with my head. You get the idea.

12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 9:47:05 PM
At 2/8/2016 8:50:28 PM, janesix wrote:
You don't have the ability to tell right and wrong without a book?

The Book has given me understanding why something is wrong.