Total Posts:140|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Why Do You Believe in God?

Rosalie
Posts: 4,604
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 1:00:53 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
I'm genuinely curios. What are your reasons to believe God, and why do you Believe in God?
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump
dee-em
Posts: 6,443
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 1:05:31 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/9/2016 1:00:53 AM, Rosalie wrote:
I'm genuinely curios. What are your reasons to believe God, and why do you Believe in God?

I don't. If the theists on this site are honest, the vast majority of responses should be: "because some authority figure(s) in my life did and instilled a belief in me from an early age before I was able to think critically".
Rosalie
Posts: 4,604
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 1:07:20 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/9/2016 1:05:31 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 2/9/2016 1:00:53 AM, Rosalie wrote:
I'm genuinely curios. What are your reasons to believe God, and why do you Believe in God?

I don't. If the theists on this site are honest, the vast majority of responses should be: "because some authority figure(s) in my life did and instilled a belief in me from an early age before I was able to think critically".

Thats true. But do you mind explaining as to specifically why you don't believe in God?
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump
Peepette
Posts: 1,236
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 1:08:20 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/9/2016 1:00:53 AM, Rosalie wrote:
I'm genuinely curios. What are your reasons to believe God, and why do you Believe in God?

I believe in god but have no use for organized religion. The existence of god being the instigator of the initial spark that began all there is.
dee-em
Posts: 6,443
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 1:10:04 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/9/2016 1:07:20 AM, Rosalie wrote:
At 2/9/2016 1:05:31 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 2/9/2016 1:00:53 AM, Rosalie wrote:
I'm genuinely curios. What are your reasons to believe God, and why do you Believe in God?

I don't. If the theists on this site are honest, the vast majority of responses should be: "because some authority figure(s) in my life did and instilled a belief in me from an early age before I was able to think critically".

Thats true. But do you mind explaining as to specifically why you don't believe in God?

Oh that's easy. The lack of evidence for one.
Rosalie
Posts: 4,604
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 1:10:59 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/9/2016 1:08:20 AM, Peepette wrote:
At 2/9/2016 1:00:53 AM, Rosalie wrote:
I'm genuinely curios. What are your reasons to believe God, and why do you Believe in God?

I believe in god but have no use for organized religion. The existence of god being the instigator of the initial spark that began all there is.

But why do you think that? Why do you chose to believe God over Scientifical explanation?
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump
UtherPenguin
Posts: 3,673
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 1:23:32 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/9/2016 1:00:53 AM, Rosalie wrote:
I'm genuinely curios. What are your reasons to believe God, and why do you Believe in God?

( A very bare-bones summary of what convinced me of God's existence)

1. The circumstances that allowed life to thrive, or the universe to exist, are too specific and minute for chaotic or random factors to cause (essentially the equivalent of seeing a Lamborghini in the middle of the forest, and concluding that no engineer made the car but it just plopped by itself into existence)

2. Used to be an agnostic atheist, during that period, I was yet to find any compelling or convincing rebuttals to the argument mentioned above. I went through a short "exploring religions" phase where on separate occasions I looked at Judaism, Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism,Jainism Sikhism and Islam. I was eventually convinced of Islam, returned to the religion after a long period of agnosticism.

3. I could write other reasons, but they would more likely than not go on a tangent on why I was convinced about Islam specifically, which isn't the topic of the thread.

One thing I can assure you is that my current religious views had little to do with any familial or social pressures. My decision to leave Islam came from my own thinking, and my decision to return to Islam came from my own thinking.
"Change your sig."
~YYW
Peepette
Posts: 1,236
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 1:25:50 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/9/2016 1:10:59 AM, Rosalie wrote:
At 2/9/2016 1:08:20 AM, Peepette wrote:
At 2/9/2016 1:00:53 AM, Rosalie wrote:
I'm genuinely curios. What are your reasons to believe God, and why do you Believe in God?

I believe in god but have no use for organized religion. The existence of god being the instigator of the initial spark that began all there is.

But why do you think that? Why do you chose to believe God over Scientific explanation?

It does not deny scientific explanation in any manner. I prefer science over dogma. It is just that at some point, I believe an element in the intensely dense matter that lead to the big bang had to have had an origin, really nothing more.
janesix
Posts: 3,436
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 1:41:14 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/9/2016 1:00:53 AM, Rosalie wrote:
I'm genuinely curios. What are your reasons to believe God, and why do you Believe in God?
I believe in a higher power but i dont know if i would call it god or a creator. But it communicates to me daily.
janesix
Posts: 3,436
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 2:07:40 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/9/2016 2:03:26 AM, realworldjack wrote:
What does, "IT" say?
I dont know, i dont understand it.
be_diligent
Posts: 399
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 1:37:59 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
Why do I believe in God.

After being in a very serious situation where there seemed to be no hope whatsoever, one simple prayer changed everything.

The minute that I prayed, repented of my sins, asked for forgiveness for my foolish choices, there was a real calm that came over me, and everything changed from that moment on. There was no question whatsoever that it was the true and living God who answered, and I prayed in Jesus' name.

If I told you the situation, you wouldn't believe me, but I know that God literally saved me.

So then I prayed, "what now?" and God said, "fill up on the word," So I picked up my bible and started reading it and it spoke directly to me. I have read the bible, studied the bible,k and daily read verses and passages. I've asked God questions based on my own studies that have been answered since 2005.

So I don't just believe, I know that God is real and true, and good, and very merciful.
bulproof
Posts: 25,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 2:52:36 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
Most do it from their fear of death and it pacifies them.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
be_diligent
Posts: 399
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 2:56:57 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/9/2016 2:52:36 PM, bulproof wrote:
Most do it from their fear of death and it pacifies them.

Do you fear death bulproof?

Have you ever faced death head on?
Rosalie
Posts: 4,604
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 3:46:55 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/9/2016 2:52:36 PM, bulproof wrote:
Most do it from their fear of death and it pacifies them.

Interesting you say this..

I have a fear of dying..and growing old. I think it's the idea more of the fact that I may suffer when dying, or unexpectedly dying, and not being able to have told my loved ones goodbye.

I don't believe in God, bit I still have this fear. I don't believe there is a heaven, and even if there was a heaven, why is it so cherished? It may just be a dream.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump
Rosalie
Posts: 4,604
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 3:50:34 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
Why do so many people believe there is a Heaven, or afterlife? Because some fictional character proclaimed in a book a that was written well over a million years ago?
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 4:38:35 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/9/2016 1:00:53 AM, Rosalie wrote:
I'm genuinely curios. What are your reasons to believe God, and why do you Believe in God?

Simplest explanation in the world. I don't believe in the God of Abraham (or any other God that has been asserted to exist) because there is no evidence to back up that claim. It falls into the same category as fairies, elves, banshees, leprechauns, and other such mythical creatures.

My apologies if this post was meant purely for theists.
Rosalie
Posts: 4,604
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 4:45:14 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/9/2016 4:38:35 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 2/9/2016 1:00:53 AM, Rosalie wrote:
I'm genuinely curios. What are your reasons to believe God, and why do you Believe in God?

Simplest explanation in the world. I don't believe in the God of Abraham (or any other God that has been asserted to exist) because there is no evidence to back up that claim. It falls into the same category as fairies, elves, banshees, leprechauns, and other such mythical creatures.

My apologies if this post was meant purely for theists.

I 100% agree. The Bible is a fairy tale. Thats why I don't understand why people believe in a book where "snakes supposedly talked" that was written well over a million years ago.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump
Glitter2998
Posts: 177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 5:09:52 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/9/2016 1:00:53 AM, Rosalie wrote:
I'm genuinely curios. What are your reasons to believe God, and why do you Believe in God?

I believe in God because He helps me through all my problems in life. All I have to do is get down on my knees and pray, and the next day, my life is so much better than it was before. :)
"Everyone wants happiness, no one wants pain. But you can't have a rainbow without a little rain. "-Me.

Wanna
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 9:38:17 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/9/2016 5:09:52 PM, Glitter2998 wrote:
At 2/9/2016 1:00:53 AM, Rosalie wrote:
I'm genuinely curios. What are your reasons to believe God, and why do you Believe in God?

I believe in God because He helps me through all my problems in life. All I have to do is get down on my knees and pray, and the next day, my life is so much better than it was before. :)

Well, then, I hope you start praying for those who are less fortunate than you.
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,928
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 10:51:49 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/9/2016 1:10:04 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 2/9/2016 1:07:20 AM, Rosalie wrote:
At 2/9/2016 1:05:31 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 2/9/2016 1:00:53 AM, Rosalie wrote:
I'm genuinely curios. What are your reasons to believe God, and why do you Believe in God?

I don't. If the theists on this site are honest, the vast majority of responses should be: "because some authority figure(s) in my life did and instilled a belief in me from an early age before I was able to think critically".

Thats true. But do you mind explaining as to specifically why you don't believe in God?

Oh that's easy. The lack of evidence for one.

Lack of evidence is a terrible reason to disbelieve anything.
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,928
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 11:00:50 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/9/2016 1:00:53 AM, Rosalie wrote:
I'm genuinely curios. What are your reasons to believe God, and why do you Believe in God?

First it's important to define what "God" means. God will be defined as an intelligent entity that created the universe. Take two competing hypothesis:

(1) the universe is derivative from mindlessness.
(2) the universe is derivative from mind.

Basically, reality is too information-rich for (1) to be plausible.
Glitter2998
Posts: 177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 1:04:45 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/9/2016 9:38:17 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 2/9/2016 5:09:52 PM, Glitter2998 wrote:
At 2/9/2016 1:00:53 AM, Rosalie wrote:
I'm genuinely curios. What are your reasons to believe God, and why do you Believe in God?

I believe in God because He helps me through all my problems in life. All I have to do is get down on my knees and pray, and the next day, my life is so much better than it was before. :)

Well, then, I hope you start praying for those who are less fortunate than you.

Darling, I pray for everyone in need. Are you one of the less fortunate? (If you don't want to answer, message me instead)
"Everyone wants happiness, no one wants pain. But you can't have a rainbow without a little rain. "-Me.

Wanna
dee-em
Posts: 6,443
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 2:11:45 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/9/2016 10:51:49 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 2/9/2016 1:10:04 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 2/9/2016 1:07:20 AM, Rosalie wrote:
At 2/9/2016 1:05:31 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 2/9/2016 1:00:53 AM, Rosalie wrote:
I'm genuinely curios. What are your reasons to believe God, and why do you Believe in God?

I don't. If the theists on this site are honest, the vast majority of responses should be: "because some authority figure(s) in my life did and instilled a belief in me from an early age before I was able to think critically".

Thats true. But do you mind explaining as to specifically why you don't believe in God?

Oh that's easy. The lack of evidence for one.

Lack of evidence is a terrible reason to disbelieve anything.

On the contrary, it is the best reason there is. To believe in something (especially something completely fantastic) without evidence is simply irrational.
dee-em
Posts: 6,443
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 2:17:43 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/9/2016 1:37:59 PM, be_diligent wrote:

I've asked God questions based on my own studies that have been answered since 2005.

So I don't just believe, I know that God is real and true, and good, and very merciful.

Would you mind asking God where and when the next major earthquake will happen so we can issue an advance warning and save lives. Being a merciful being that should present no problem. Awaiting your response with eager anticipation. Thanks.
dee-em
Posts: 6,443
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 2:19:20 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/9/2016 3:50:34 PM, Rosalie wrote:
Why do so many people believe there is a Heaven, or afterlife? Because some fictional character proclaimed in a book a that was written well over a million years ago?

If I've told you once I've told you a thousand times. Don't exaggerate!
dee-em
Posts: 6,443
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 2:22:05 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/9/2016 5:09:52 PM, Glitter2998 wrote:
At 2/9/2016 1:00:53 AM, Rosalie wrote:
I'm genuinely curios. What are your reasons to believe God, and why do you Believe in God?

I believe in God because He helps me through all my problems in life. All I have to do is get down on my knees and pray, and the next day, my life is so much better than it was before. :)

Let me get this straight. Each day your life is better than the day before. You never have a bad day? In fact, after a few years your life must be nigh on perfect. Is that correct?
dee-em
Posts: 6,443
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 2:24:00 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/9/2016 11:00:50 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 2/9/2016 1:00:53 AM, Rosalie wrote:
I'm genuinely curios. What are your reasons to believe God, and why do you Believe in God?

First it's important to define what "God" means. God will be defined as an intelligent entity that created the universe. Take two competing hypothesis:

(1) the universe is derivative from mindlessness.
(2) the universe is derivative from mind.

Basically, reality is too information-rich for (1) to be plausible.

That's a subjective assessment based on nothing at all and therefore useless.
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 2:41:48 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/9/2016 5:09:52 PM, Glitter2998 wrote:
At 2/9/2016 1:00:53 AM, Rosalie wrote:
I'm genuinely curios. What are your reasons to believe God, and why do you Believe in God?

I believe in God because He helps me through all my problems in life. All I have to do is get down on my knees and pray, and the next day, my life is so much better than it was before. :)

Yeah we get that alot. People pray and if they get something positive it is answered prayer. It works for God.............ALL GODS. The greeks saw their prayers answered too.

The interesting thing is that no person or group can show evidence that praying to their God gets significant better results than praying to another God or no God at all, like praying to the Sun.

Never the less, if you really think that your answered prayers is something more than confirmation bias, could you please go prayer for some missing limbs to be restored and pray for info on the next few major natural disasters so we can prepare/evacuate.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12