Jump to topic:

The Fear of Death

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 3:05:19 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
The fear of death has been the motivating factor for the inventions of a belief in an afterlife and therefore gods and as a result the formation of religions since mankind developed a capacity for imagination.
My question to you all is why do you still believe those caveman inventions when so many of their nonsense beliefs (other gods and other afterlifes etc) you reject now?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
be_diligent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 3:20:43 PM
At 2/9/2016 3:05:19 PM, bulproof wrote:
The fear of death has been the motivating factor for the inventions of a belief in an afterlife and therefore gods and as a result the formation of religions since mankind developed a capacity for imagination.
My question to you all is why do you still believe those caveman inventions when so many of their nonsense beliefs (other gods and other afterlifes etc) you reject now?

How interesting, I watched a documentary a few years ago that described the first indications of the "homo erectus," not acknowledging death, but they simply left their dead in the place where they died. (They couldn't grasp death.)

Historically it wasn't until:

300th to 51st millennium BCE[edit]
223,000"100,000 BCE

That people began burying their dead.

The earliest evidence of Hominids, such as Neanderthals[2][3] and even Homo heidelbergensis,[3][4] deliberately disposing of deceased individuals usually in funerary caches. The graves, located throughout Eurasia (e.g. the Pontnewydd Cave (Wales), Atapuerca Mountains (Spain), Qafzeh, Es Skhul, Krapina (Croatia),[3] are believed to represent the beginnings of ceremonial rites, although there is some debate about this.[5] Neanderthals placed their deceased in simple graves with little or no concern for grave goods or markers; however, their graves occasionally appeared with limestone blocks in or on them, possibly an archaic form of grave marking.[3] These practices were possibly the result of empathetic feelings towards fellow tribespeople, for example: an infant buried in the Dederiyeh Cave after its joints had disarticulated was placed with concern for the correct anatomical arrangement of its body parts.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org...

Even the archaeological evidence of the earliest actual burial rituals would show that they had little capacity to grasp the full extent of death.

Sort of like many today.

Just sayin...
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 3:23:27 PM
At 2/9/2016 3:20:43 PM, be_diligent wrote:

How interesting, I watched a documentary a few years ago that described the first indications of the "homo erectus," not acknowledging death, but they simply left their dead in the place where they died. (They couldn't grasp death.)

223,000"100,000 BCE

The earliest evidence of Hominids, such as Neanderthals[2][3] and even Homo heidelbergensis,[3][4] deliberately disposing of deceased individuals usually in funerary caches. The graves, located throughout Eurasia (e.g. the Pontnewydd Cave (Wales), Atapuerca Mountains (Spain), Qafzeh, Es Skhul, Krapina (Croatia),[3] are believed to represent the beginnings of ceremonial rites, although there is some debate about this.[5] Neanderthals placed their deceased in simple graves with little or no concern for grave goods or markers; however, their graves occasionally appeared with limestone blocks in or on them, possibly an archaic form of grave marking.[3] These practices were possibly the result of empathetic feelings towards fellow tribespeople, for example: an infant buried in the Dederiyeh Cave after its joints had disarticulated was placed with concern for the correct anatomical arrangement of its body parts.[3]

Even the archaeological evidence of the earliest actual burial rituals would show that they had little capacity to grasp the full extent of death.

Sort of like many today.

Just sayin...

Thanks for supporting my contention.
But I already knew that and hence my thread.
be_diligent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 3:26:17 PM
At 2/9/2016 3:23:27 PM, bulproof wrote:

223,000"100,000 BCE

Sort of like many today.

Just sayin...

So, what's your obsession with the topic of "death," today?

Are you scared bulproof?
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 3:31:58 PM

I think there's more to the emergence of religion than just fear of death. We humans have pattern-seeking minds and are typically driven to seek answers and explanations to alleviate psychological discomfort, which is what is known as the Need for Cognitive Closure. When coupled with socially-directed psychological tendencies, such as Conformity and Group Think (which reinforce group cohesiveness), and powerful, inherent biases such as Confirmation Bias, imaginative and cognitively or socially appealing explanations can quickly become widely accepted. Following that, effects such as the Primacy Effect, Belief Perseverance, and the Need to Be Right reflect our general tendencies (as a species) to adhere to held beliefs even when doing so is irrational, such as in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

The notion of luck is an interesting human notion. People often try to find patterns that correlate with positive outcomes (like lucky numbers) and strongly reinforce this belief through Confirmation Bias (counting the hits and ignoring the misses) with the help of some cognitive biases, such as Gambler's Bias. Further, since we tend to frequently anthropomorphize the universe, many people implicitly view luck as some sentient force that actively influences or controls the future events and outcomes of individuals. An example of this would be "Lady Luck". A common item that is associated with luck is the well-known lucky rabbit's foot. Now, take a step back a really look at how irrational (and grotesque) this believe is, given what we do know about reality...
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 3:34:38 PM
At 2/9/2016 3:26:17 PM, be_diligent wrote:

223,000"100,000 BCE

Sort of like many today.

Just sayin...

Are you scared bulproof?
Excuse me while I hahahahaha, I have nothing to fear. It's the godbotherers apparently who do.
But they only have that fear because of the fantasies the cavemen invented to pacify themselves. Stories they could tell their children to explain the loss of a mother or sibling or father and eventually these stories became truth.
Unfortunately the caveman descendants today still believe the stories even though they know without any doubt that everything on this planet DIES. Their poor deludecd descendabnts must convince themselves that they are very special and haven't actually resulted from the cavemen who gave them their beliefs regarding an afterlife and gods and religions.
Yes I do find it very SAD.
be_diligent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 3:40:54 PM
At 2/9/2016 3:34:38 PM, bulproof wrote:

223,000"100,000 BCE

Sort of like many today.

Just sayin...

Are you scared bulproof?
Excuse me while I hahahahaha, I have nothing to fear. It's the godbotherers apparently who do.
But they only have that fear because of the fantasies the cavemen invented to pacify themselves. Stories they could tell their children to explain the loss of a mother or sibling or father and eventually these stories became truth.
Unfortunately the caveman descendants today still believe the stories even though they know without any doubt that everything on this planet DIES. Their poor deludecd descendabnts must convince themselves that they are very special and haven't actually resulted from the cavemen who gave them their beliefs regarding an afterlife and gods and religions.

Wow, you must be a psychologist.

Christians are not obsessed with death.

As for me personally, it's not even something I think about except for times like this when a person who is afraid of death keeps going on and on about it.

With you idea of "evolving," as I showed in my earlier post, the earliest man didn't even comprehend death. And I'm thinking that is a trait that has carried on in some genealogical lines, (such as yours.)

To evolve and advance in thought, to consider that there is more beyond what meets the eye is part of humanity, science, and yes even psychology.

It seems as though you were stunted somewhere along the way,
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 3:45:38 PM
At 2/9/2016 3:40:54 PM, be_diligent wrote:

223,000"100,000 BCE

Sort of like many today.

Just sayin...

Are you scared bulproof?

As for me personally, it's not even something I think about except for times like this when a person who is afraid of death keeps going on and on about it.

With you idea of "evolving," as I showed in my earlier post, the earliest man didn't even comprehend death. And I'm thinking that is a trait that has carried on in some genealogical lines, (such as yours.)

To evolve and advance in thought, to consider that there is more beyond what meets the eye is part of humanity, science, and yes even psychology.

Tell me what your concept of death is?
be_diligent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 3:59:50 PM
At 2/9/2016 3:45:38 PM, bulproof wrote:

223,000"100,000 BCE

Sort of like many today.

Just sayin...

Are you scared bulproof?

I don't have some abstract idea of what death it.

Since energy is not destroyed, where do you think that part of your makeup will go?
It is, after all, part of who you are...even though you can't see it with the natural eye, that energy is still thee.

Colossians 1:17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

What do you think sustains you?

Are you certain that there isn't a conscience tied to the energy that makes you up? after all, it's what holds you and everything together.

Would you cease to exist of that energy was not in place sustaining you, and the chair your sitting on?

Do you ever ask yourself deeper questions like that? Or do you just like to take the simple approach and assume that it's just what it is, and it all ends with death?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 4:03:27 PM
At 2/9/2016 3:59:50 PM, be_diligent wrote:

223,000"100,000 BCE

Sort of like many today.

Just sayin...

Are you scared bulproof?

Since energy is not destroyed, where do you think that part of your makeup will go?
It is, after all, part of who you are...even though you can't see it with the natural eye, that energy is still thee.

Are you certain that there isn't a conscience tied to the energy that makes you up? after all, it's what holds you and everything together.

Would you cease to exist of that energy was not in place sustaining you, and the chair your sitting on?

Do you ever ask yourself deeper questions like that? Or do you just like to take the simple approach and assume that it's just what it is, and it all ends with death?

Obviously, we turn to science to answer those questions.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 4:05:49 PM
We all know the one that goes around projecting onto others they are afraid all the time is the one scared stiff, which means Bully is scared out of his mind and if I were him I'd be too. He spends the remainder of his years mocking God and believers so his time is coming nigh.

It's also been explained to Bulpoop that the fear of the death is irrelevant, both the theist and the atheist will die and no beliefs can change that. He thinks it's fear that motivates theism, and for him his silly ignorance is all he needs.
If he then moves the post and says well your just afraid there is no afterlife, no, wrong again bully. If atheism is true (which it ain't) then nothing happens when you die, no memories no thoughts so it is completely void of any feelings or emotions and that is not scary, there is nothing scary about nothing when one dies. I believe in an after life because I've accepted the truth, not because I'm "scaaaaared".....

Theistic beliefs and spiritual reality are in the present Bully not in the past, get up to speed. It's only that the caveman had more sense in his little pea brain than you do as a modern sophisticated monkey lol.
be_diligent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 4:15:23 PM
At 2/9/2016 4:03:27 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

223,000"100,000 BCE

Sort of like many today.

Just sayin...

Are you scared bulproof?

Obviously, we turn to science to answer those questions.

Well, then you have got to have A LOT of faith in ever changing science.

I realized a lot time ago, that science, people, everything that we can see, hear, touch and smell is fallible.

Some things go beyond science...

Gotta get to work...bbl
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 4:18:25 PM

223,000"100,000 BCE

Sort of like many today.

Just sayin...

Are you scared bulproof?

I didn't ask for abstract, I asked for your concept. It can be the one you have been indoctrinated with if you like.
The question is do you think it will go somewhere with a purpose as you have been indoctrinated? Personally I don't care, it will return to the universe from which it came.
When I die I will be dead and that has no fear for me at all, it obviously does for you otherwise you wouldn't need to believe in an afterlife where you don't die.
Why do you people quote meaningless passages from a book of fiction? Why not quote Harry Potter?
Oxygen, food and water and at my age drugs and doctors.
Conscientousness is a product of my advanced brain it doesn't live somewhere else. If you can find one and produce it for study then you go and get your Noble prize.
When I die I'm dead, just like EVERY life form that has ever existed on this planet in the last 4.5 billion years. I know that scares you but it's true.
Do you ever ask yourself about your family and friends when you die?
Will you be sad for them or will you know nothing?
Will you be grieving with them?
Have you ever thought about death?
If you have then are you dead after you die or are you still alive?
If you aren't dead then you haven't considered your death, you have considered a fantasy created to pacify your fear of death.
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 4:46:27 PM

In your judgement it"s the fear of death, and it seems because it"s the only reason you would believe, that there is an after life. Hence ignorance is bliss for those who are not aware that there is an after life. By not acknowledging such exists, one can live under the false sense of security that there is no danger in doing as one pleases while here in the world.

Just because one is dead to this world, as in no longer perceived by anyone in this world, doesn"t prove or mean one doesn"t exist. It only means that one is dead to the world. So there is no proof on your part that there is no after life. Consciousness isn"t physical, is only manifest in the physical to consciousness manifest in the physical, that are able to perceive via the physical. Not a hard concept to take seriously. And the physical cannot verify physically that a consciousness exists after it no longer is manifest in the physical.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 4:55:05 PM

While I agree with some of your reasons, I think there's more to it than death. As noted in a previous post, we are pattern seeking creatures and are always trying to make sense of things. We also want to control our environment to the greatest extent possible for our comfort and safety. Primitive men had almost no control of their day-to-day environment and were at the mercy of natural conditions. Religion and the belief in a god or gods that could control such things and was amenable to prayer to change them for the benefit of the believer is the result of that desire to control what was uncontrollable.

Consider: When a believer has a disease that is incurable, he or she will pray and ask for others to pray for healing. Once again, an attempt to control what is uncontrollable. Prayers for rain, prayers for a child, prayers for just about anything are just attempts to use a supposedly divine, transcendent being as your personal do-boy to do things you cannot. God has been turned into a football coach, an acting coach, a dancing coach, a personal assistant, and any number of other things by people who want him to do what they cannot. People pray for things as silly as finding their car keys. If there were a God, I think he'd be insulted.

So, to summarize, religion is the relic of primitive man's desire to control that over which he had no control, to include death and destruction.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 9:50:40 PM

So are you seriously claiming that fear of death made people to invent hell so that they would have something even more frightening than death?

I believe the Bible, because I see it to be true. However death or afterlife is not in my opinion meaningful or necessary belief. Necessary belief is for example to believe that murder is wrong. Should I not believe that anymore?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 4:06:42 AM
When you die are you dead or are you alive and living for eternity?
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 4:15:20 AM
At 2/9/2016 9:50:40 PM, 12_13 wrote:

So are you seriously claiming that fear of death made people to invent hell so that they would have something even more frightening than death?

None of the people who focus on Hell actually believe they are going there. It's only for the irredeemably bad people-- and the people who dare disagree with their beliefs...

I believe the Bible, because I see it to be true. However death or afterlife is not in my opinion meaningful or necessary belief. Necessary belief is for example to believe that murder is wrong. Should I not believe that anymore?
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 4:48:39 AM

I don't fear death at all. I won't even know I'm dead. You know why?

"COS I'L BE F*CKIN DEAD" - Jim Jeffries

https://m.youtube.com...

The only thing I hope is that I can enjoy life to the max, and hopefully it won't end before I'm due. Besides that, don't care.
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 4:55:12 AM

Zeus, Shiva, Kali, Brahma never made an entrance into our reality in human history. Jesus did.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 5:09:47 AM
Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?"
1 Corinthians 15:55

"Christ is Risen"

"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 5:36:25 AM
At 2/10/2016 4:55:12 AM, brontoraptor wrote:

Zeus, Shiva, Kali, Brahma never made an entrance into our reality in human history. Jesus did.
Apparently it was Mick.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 2:00:34 PM
At 2/10/2016 5:36:25 AM, bulproof wrote:

Apparently it was Mick.

If you are right, the veil of this world will roll back like a curtain, and I will go back to the dust of which I was formed. If I am right, you have no need to be afixed on death or any notion of it. You can free yourself, but you have to make the choice yourself. God loves you. You will know it before the end.

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 2:15:32 PM
At 2/10/2016 2:00:34 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Apparently it was Mick.

If you are right, the veil of this world will roll back like a curtain, and I will go back to the dust of which I was formed. If I am right, you have no need to be afixed on death or any notion of it. You can free yourself, but you have to make the choice yourself. God loves you. You will know it before the end.

I'm not the one affixed on death, it's those who pretend to themselves that when they die they won't be dead. That is wishful thinking with absolutely no substantion and is the result of a morbid fear of death.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 2:47:11 PM
Posted: 9 months ago

What?

Be specific. What energy are you referring to?

What energy?

Food and water. How about you?

That's funny. I thought I was held together by having a bony skeleton to which muscles are attached and a skin which prevents loss of body fluids. Your conscience is a product of your brain which is an organ in your body. It needs energy to operate, that is true, and it comes from the food we eat.

What energy? When you die there is no more eating. Therefore no further production of energy. It's really very simple.

Everything you described applies to all other animal species on the planet. Do they end with death or is there an afterlife for them too?
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 3:04:40 PM

It's not necessarily fear of death. It is fear of non-existence, the loss of their identity. That's what they really worry about.

The thing is that belief in an eternal afterlife renders this short life on Earth completely meaningless to a Christian or Muslim. They are merely in God's ante-room awaiting entry. What possible reason can there be to abide here for a brief duration when eternity is just around the corner?

In fact if you took their belief to its logical conclusion they should all immediately commit suicide (after procreating and child rearing) and go straight to the endgame. Instead they cling to life just like everyone else because deep down inside they don't really buy into the fantasy of an afterlife. Of course they have outs. They will moan about their body being a temple and they aren't allowed to desecrate it by suicide. Yet ageing does that desecration anyway. Even when their bodies are ravaged by disease they still hang on as long as possible. Their hypocrisy is lost on them.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 3:25:42 PM
At 2/10/2016 2:15:32 PM, bulproof wrote:

Apparently it was Mick.

I'm not the one affixed on death, it's those who pretend to themselves that when they die they won't be dead. That is wishful thinking with absolutely no substantion and is the result of a morbid fear of death.

It's a substantiated reason to not think/worry about death.

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 3:51:38 PM
At 2/10/2016 3:25:42 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 2/10/2016 2:15:32 PM, bulproof wrote:

Apparently it was Mick.

It's a substantiated reason to not think/worry about death.
No! It's a fantasy that pacifies your fear of death.
I've asked before.
When you die are you dead or are you alive and living for eternity?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 3:54:58 PM
At 2/10/2016 3:04:40 PM, dee-em wrote:

It's not necessarily fear of death. It is fear of non-existence, the loss of their identity. That's what they really worry about.

The thing is that belief in an eternal afterlife renders this short life on Earth completely meaningless to a Christian or Muslim. They are merely in God's ante-room awaiting entry. What possible reason can there be to abide here for a brief duration when eternity is just around the corner?

In fact if you took their belief to its logical conclusion they should all immediately commit suicide (after procreating and child rearing) and go straight to the endgame. Instead they cling to life just like everyone else because deep down inside they don't really buy into the fantasy of an afterlife. Of course they have outs. They will moan about their body being a temple and they aren't allowed to desecrate it by suicide. Yet ageing does that desecration anyway. Even when their bodies are ravaged by disease they still hang on as long as possible. Their hypocrisy is lost on them.

Spot on.