Total Posts:61|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Conformity to Religion

Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 2:19:04 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Another question for the religious, yea I know, after this I won't create a new thread for a few days.

Anyway... do you conform to your religion? Do you find yourself not doing certain things you might otherwise do because of your faith? Do you attempt to atone if you do anything that violates your faith. Do you ask yourself what would Jesus do (or indeed Thor etc)?

Only this seems like pretty rare behaviour.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 5:50:51 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/3/2010 2:19:04 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Another question for the religious, yea I know, after this I won't create a new thread for a few days.

Anyway... do you conform to your religion? Do you find yourself not doing certain things you might otherwise do because of your faith? Do you attempt to atone if you do anything that violates your faith. Do you ask yourself what would Jesus do (or indeed Thor etc)?

Only this seems like pretty rare behaviour.

I do everything my Atheist God from Hell tells me to do.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 7:06:28 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/3/2010 2:19:04 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Another question for the religious, yea I know, after this I won't create a new thread for a few days.

Anyway... do you conform to your religion?

Yes.

Do you find yourself not doing certain things you might otherwise do because of your faith?

Yes. Not hating. Not whining and crying. Not expecting someone else to fix my problems. Not expecting someone else to pay for my mistakes.

Do you attempt to atone if you do anything that violates your faith.

Yes. I apologize and admit when I'm wrong. Such as being a false witness (lying).

Do you ask yourself what would Jesus do?

Yes. Jesus was not always as a Lamb. He was led to the slaughter but before that He spoke the Truth regardless of the attacks and insults. When some one lied about something He said or He did He questioned His accusers.


Only this seems like pretty rare behaviour.

Subjective analysis.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 7:35:15 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/3/2010 2:19:04 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Another question for the religious, yea I know, after this I won't create a new thread for a few days.

Anyway... do you conform to your religion?
Not in totality. However, i tend to discard those things in my religion that i do not deem inconsistent to spiritual values.

Do you find yourself not doing certain things you might otherwise do because of your faith?
Yes, often. Also the converse is true in that i do things that i wouldn't otherwise bother to do.

Do you attempt to atone if you do anything that violates your faith.
Yes, i have done so often.

Do you ask yourself what would Jesus do (or indeed Thor etc)?
Not precisely, more what would Christ have me do.

Only this seems like pretty rare behaviour.
I don't understand that sentence in this context.
Marauder
Posts: 3,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 9:25:23 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/3/2010 2:19:04 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Anyway... do you conform to your religion?
you do the things it say's I should? I try.
Do you find yourself not doing certain things you might otherwise do because of your faith?
yes, the road to christian sanctification is long one. backsliding occurs frequently even for the most seriously committed to pursing holiness.
Do you attempt to atone if you do anything that violates your faith.
Yep, that's the only thing one can do to overcome the backsliding and move on from mistakes; pick up the shovel and did another well.
Do you ask yourself what would Jesus do (or indeed Thor etc)?
No, there's nothing wrong with asking that question for those that have learned to adapt that habit, I just haven't disciplined myself into mentally asking myself that question when it should apply yet. I have started to ask myself a similar question though 'IS IT HOLY?' since I started wearing Justin Lookadoo's bracelet that has that on it that he sold at 2010 resurrection. http://www.lookadoo.com...

Only this seems like pretty rare behaviour.
perfect people are rare indeed.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 10:11:19 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/3/2010 2:19:04 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Another question for the religious, yea I know, after this I won't create a new thread for a few days.

Hahahahaha, you take yourself so seriously!

Why so serious?

I enjoy all this religious rhetoric. It's very interesting.

Anyway... do you conform to your religion?

In terms of the religious establishment that corresponds to my faith, no.

Do you find yourself not doing certain things you might otherwise do because of your faith?

No, I don't think so. At least, it works both ways. I follow my faith because it agrees with my universal perspectives. I wouldn't say, "I do this because this Bible verse says to," but I will take into consideration what the doctrine suggests and, once logically extrapolated, apply it. I do find the Bible generally dependable. But, apparently, my conception of morals differs from a lot of other people's interpretation.

Do you attempt to atone if you do anything that violates your faith.

No. Life is generous enough with hard times to give them to myself as well just for being me. Generally, when I screw up, repercussions come whether I want them or not.

Do you ask yourself what would Jesus do (or indeed Thor etc)?

Technically, that's an impossible question based on my beliefs. Jesus didn't say, imitate Him. He said, "Love thy neighbor as you love thyself."

Only this seems like pretty rare behaviour.

You find religious people insincere?

I find someone who calls himself a nihilist, considers himself moral, and jokes (I hope) about molesting children just as insincere.
Marauder
Posts: 3,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 10:25:04 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/3/2010 10:11:19 AM, Ren wrote:
At 11/3/2010 2:19:04 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Do you attempt to atone if you do anything that violates your faith.

No. Life is generous enough with hard times to give them to myself as well just for being me. Generally, when I screw up, repercussions come whether I want them or not.

you don't at all try to repent from the wrongs you make. I understand relying on grace and not your own efforts but to drop the whole act of trying to pick yourself every time you fall I don't. atonement dosen't have to be self-inflicted punishment as you make it sound, you need only make the act of turning your heart back to god every time you briefly turned it away. I'm pretty sure that's what narcy was talking about with this point.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 10:31:41 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/3/2010 10:25:04 AM, Marauder wrote:
you don't at all try to repent from the wrongs you make. I understand relying on grace and not your own efforts but to drop the whole act of trying to pick yourself every time you fall I don't. atonement dosen't have to be self-inflicted punishment as you make it sound, you need only make the act of turning your heart back to god every time you briefly turned it away. I'm pretty sure that's what narcy was talking about with this point.

It depends on what you mean by "repent." I don't give penance or attempt to reconcile in any way--my mistakes are not necessarily because I've turned my back on God, but because I've made mistakes. I do apologize when I pray.

However, I'm not a coward, either. I take responsibility for my shortcomings and take whatever comes in return. I do consider myself prudent, though, so I generally don't find myself in situations that I can't handle. So, it all goes hand-in-hand.

God is always in me; there's nothing I can really do about that unless I outright reject Him. I won't and He's already decided that He'll forgive me, so there's little atonement to make.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 10:33:36 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/3/2010 2:19:04 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Another question for the religious, yea I know, after this I won't create a new thread for a few days.

Anyway... do you conform to your religion?

No. I do not participate in any Buddhist temples, wear robes, consult a Zen master or monk, or anything else like that.

Though I do listen to Buddhist mantras (which are like hymns) and have tried understanding the Heart Sutra (the Our Father of Buddhism) in Sanskrit.

Do you find yourself not doing certain things you might otherwise do because of your faith?

Tough question. I certainly take my philosophical beliefs into consideration when I act, though I don't think I've ever refrained from doing something because of my beliefs.

Do you attempt to atone if you do anything that violates your faith.

Atone to who? There is no one who judges you but yourself in Buddhism.

Do you ask yourself what would Jesus do (or indeed Thor etc)?

Yes, I have asked myself what would Buddha do before. It makes sense to try to be like a man of style and stature.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Marauder
Posts: 3,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 10:38:15 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/3/2010 10:33:36 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/3/2010 2:19:04 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Do you attempt to atone if you do anything that violates your faith.

Atone to who? There is no one who judges you but yourself in Buddhism.

I don't think you need a person to judge you to give reason to make right what you believed was a wrong on your part Geo. It's axiomatic that you would want to do so without the additional reason of there being a judge of your life.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 10:48:29 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/3/2010 10:11:19 AM, Ren wrote:
At 11/3/2010 2:19:04 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Another question for the religious, yea I know, after this I won't create a new thread for a few days.

Hahahahaha, you take yourself so seriously!

Why so serious?

I enjoy all this religious rhetoric. It's very interesting.

Anyway... do you conform to your religion?

In terms of the religious establishment that corresponds to my faith, no.

Do you find yourself not doing certain things you might otherwise do because of your faith?

No, I don't think so. At least, it works both ways. I follow my faith because it agrees with my universal perspectives. I wouldn't say, "I do this because this Bible verse says to," but I will take into consideration what the doctrine suggests and, once logically extrapolated, apply it. I do find the Bible generally dependable. But, apparently, my conception of morals differs from a lot of other people's interpretation.

Do you attempt to atone if you do anything that violates your faith.

No. Life is generous enough with hard times to give them to myself as well just for being me. Generally, when I screw up, repercussions come whether I want them or not.

Do you ask yourself what would Jesus do (or indeed Thor etc)?

Technically, that's an impossible question based on my beliefs. Jesus didn't say, imitate Him. He said, "Love thy neighbor as you love thyself."

Only this seems like pretty rare behaviour.

You find religious people insincere?

I find someone who calls himself a nihilist, considers himself moral, and jokes (I hope) about molesting children just as insincere.

You have the most convenient faith i have seen.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 10:59:25 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/3/2010 10:38:15 AM, Marauder wrote:
At 11/3/2010 10:33:36 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/3/2010 2:19:04 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Do you attempt to atone if you do anything that violates your faith.

Atone to who? There is no one who judges you but yourself in Buddhism.

I don't think you need a person to judge you to give reason to make right what you believed was a wrong on your part Geo.

That is beside the point. This question is in the context of religion. My post was saying that in Buddhism there is no need to atone for the sake of the religion or for the sake of being judged. Usually atonement is done for the sake of pleasing the creator, especially since atonement usually involved sin, which involves going against Gods will.

Obviously if you do something wrong, you would want to make amends or reparations to keep a clear conscience.

It's axiomatic that you would want to do so without the additional reason of there being a judge of your life.

That doesn't qualify to even be considered as an axiom.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 11:21:22 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/3/2010 10:59:25 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/3/2010 10:38:15 AM, Marauder wrote:
At 11/3/2010 10:33:36 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/3/2010 2:19:04 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Do you attempt to atone if you do anything that violates your faith.

Atone to who? There is no one who judges you but yourself in Buddhism.

I don't think you need a person to judge you to give reason to make right what you believed was a wrong on your part Geo.

That is beside the point. This question is in the context of religion. My post was saying that in Buddhism there is no need to atone for the sake of the religion or for the sake of being judged. Usually atonement is done for the sake of pleasing the creator, especially since atonement usually involved sin, which involves going against Gods will.

Obviously if you do something wrong, you would want to make amends or reparations to keep a clear conscience.

It's axiomatic that you would want to do so without the additional reason of there being a judge of your life.

That doesn't qualify to even be considered as an axiom.

I don't know that Buddhism fits here. It's kind of a not real religion. No God, no faith, it's really a philosophy that people are dedicated to.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 11:23:09 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/3/2010 10:48:29 AM, innomen wrote:
You have the most convenient faith i have seen.

What do you mean?

I think that's only true if I'm dishonest or hypocritical about my principles, which I'm not.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 11:50:35 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/3/2010 11:21:22 AM, innomen wrote:
I don't know that Buddhism fits here.

I'm sure there are many Buddhists who would answer "yes" to most of the questions.

It's kind of a not real religion. No God, no faith,

Oh, so only religions with a God are REAL religions. What about Taoism, Jainism, and Conficianism? They're all fake religions too?

Last I checked belief in God is not a prerequisite to be a religion. The you make it sound, Deism qualifies as a religion to you, but not Buddhism.

The fact that Buddhism has scriptures, temples, rituals, songs, and practices should be enough to make it a religion. It even has it's own account of creation.

it's really a philosophy that people are dedicated to.

And that's not religion?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 11:59:23 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/3/2010 11:50:35 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/3/2010 11:21:22 AM, innomen wrote:
I don't know that Buddhism fits here.

I'm sure there are many Buddhists who would answer "yes" to most of the questions.

It's kind of a not real religion. No God, no faith,

Oh, so only religions with a God are REAL religions. What about Taoism, Jainism, and Conficianism? They're all fake religions too?
Confucianism yes; i knew a Taoist and he believed in lots of ghosts and weird stuff, but i don't know enough to say it is or is not a relgion, and i know nothing about Jainism, but if you say so, sure they're fake religions.

Last I checked belief in God is not a prerequisite to be a religion. The you make it sound, Deism qualifies as a religion to you, but not Buddhism.

The fact that Buddhism has scriptures, temples, rituals, songs, and practices should be enough to make it a religion. It even has it's own account of creation.

it's really a philosophy that people are dedicated to.

And that's not religion?

That is correct sir.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 12:03:18 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/3/2010 11:23:09 AM, Ren wrote:
At 11/3/2010 10:48:29 AM, innomen wrote:
You have the most convenient faith i have seen.

What do you mean?

I think that's only true if I'm dishonest or hypocritical about my principles, which I'm not.

Not at all. I didn't mean to imply that you were dishonest or hypocritical. It just seems like your brand of religion conforms to you. I cast no judgment.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 12:09:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/3/2010 11:59:23 AM, innomen wrote:
At 11/3/2010 11:50:35 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/3/2010 11:21:22 AM, innomen wrote:
I don't know that Buddhism fits here.

I'm sure there are many Buddhists who would answer "yes" to most of the questions.

It's kind of a not real religion. No God, no faith,

Oh, so only religions with a God are REAL religions. What about Taoism, Jainism, and Conficianism? They're all fake religions too?
Confucianism yes; i knew a Taoist and he believed in lots of ghosts and weird stuff, but i don't know enough to say it is or is not a relgion, and i know nothing about Jainism, but if you say so, sure they're fake religions.

Last I checked belief in God is not a prerequisite to be a religion. The you make it sound, Deism qualifies as a religion to you, but not Buddhism.

The fact that Buddhism has scriptures, temples, rituals, songs, and practices should be enough to make it a religion. It even has it's own account of creation.

it's really a philosophy that people are dedicated to.

And that's not religion?

That is correct sir.

The mistake that you are making is that a requirement for religion is belief in the transcendent, NOT necessarily God. In Buddhism, there is certainly a belief in the transcendent, and in fact proclaims that it's version of the transcendent is even greater than God.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 12:18:11 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/3/2010 12:03:18 PM, innomen wrote:

Not at all. I didn't mean to imply that you were dishonest or hypocritical. It just seems like your brand of religion conforms to you. I cast no judgment.

Oh, I can see how that came off as defensive, but I wasn't, just curious.

Also, I can see what you're saying. I think I should add that I do seek divine guidance from time to time, so it was rather inaccurate to say that the entirety of my decision-making is based on my own limited logical capacities.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 12:21:09 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/3/2010 12:09:42 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/3/2010 11:59:23 AM, innomen wrote:
At 11/3/2010 11:50:35 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/3/2010 11:21:22 AM, innomen wrote:
I don't know that Buddhism fits here.

I'm sure there are many Buddhists who would answer "yes" to most of the questions.

It's kind of a not real religion. No God, no faith,

Oh, so only religions with a God are REAL religions. What about Taoism, Jainism, and Conficianism? They're all fake religions too?
Confucianism yes; i knew a Taoist and he believed in lots of ghosts and weird stuff, but i don't know enough to say it is or is not a relgion, and i know nothing about Jainism, but if you say so, sure they're fake religions.

Last I checked belief in God is not a prerequisite to be a religion. The you make it sound, Deism qualifies as a religion to you, but not Buddhism.

The fact that Buddhism has scriptures, temples, rituals, songs, and practices should be enough to make it a religion. It even has it's own account of creation.

it's really a philosophy that people are dedicated to.

And that's not religion?

That is correct sir.

The mistake that you are making is that a requirement for religion is belief in the transcendent, NOT necessarily God. In Buddhism, there is certainly a belief in the transcendent, and in fact proclaims that it's version of the transcendent is even greater than God.

In the common usage of the word religion, a god or higher power of some sort is required. Not sure why you object.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 12:23:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Buddhism is a religion.

I'm not sure I completely understand Geo's conception of it, but it does comprise divine beings, like Bodhisattvas, gods, Buddha himself, who is a divine god, and cows.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 12:24:22 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
It also avers a spiritual essence, which the doctrine compares as a lake of which each individual person comprises a drop.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 12:26:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/3/2010 12:18:11 PM, Ren wrote:
At 11/3/2010 12:03:18 PM, innomen wrote:

Not at all. I didn't mean to imply that you were dishonest or hypocritical. It just seems like your brand of religion conforms to you. I cast no judgment.

Oh, I can see how that came off as defensive, but I wasn't, just curious.

Also, I can see what you're saying. I think I should add that I do seek divine guidance from time to time, so it was rather inaccurate to say that the entirety of my decision-making is based on my own limited logical capacities.

I can understand some of your perspective. There are aspects of my religion that i discard as nonsensical like purgatory - silliness. But there are other parts that i need to follow, but haven't always found joy in doing them.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 12:29:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/3/2010 12:23:29 PM, Ren wrote:
Buddhism is a religion.

I'm not sure I completely understand Geo's conception of it, but it does comprise divine beings, like Bodhisattvas, gods, Buddha himself, who is a divine god, and cows.

And yet our devout Buddhist Geo maintains being an atheist.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 12:43:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/3/2010 12:29:07 PM, innomen wrote:
At 11/3/2010 12:23:29 PM, Ren wrote:
Buddhism is a religion.

I'm not sure I completely understand Geo's conception of it, but it does comprise divine beings, like Bodhisattvas, gods, Buddha himself, who is a divine god, and cows.

And yet our devout Buddhist Geo maintains being an atheist.

Well, you see no problem with discarding parts of your religion that you see as being nonsensical, like purgatory. By that same logic, there should be no problem with Geo excluding the odd supernatural parts of Buddhism while at the same time maintaining its secular tenets. Correct me if I'm wrong, though, since I'm very ignorant where Buddhism is concerned.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 12:51:00 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/3/2010 12:29:07 PM, innomen wrote:
At 11/3/2010 12:23:29 PM, Ren wrote:
Buddhism is a religion.

I'm not sure I completely understand Geo's conception of it, but it does comprise divine beings, like Bodhisattvas, gods, Buddha himself, who is a divine god, and cows.

And yet our devout Buddhist Geo maintains being an atheist.

I get my views about Buddhism straight from scripture! I have proven time and time again that the Buddha was an Atheist.

@Cody

I'm really not discarding parts of Buddhism. I am going by the Buddhas direct words from scripture. It's just that many beliefs in Buddhism come from culture, especially Hindu culture, but these don't always reflex the Budddhas view.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 12:52:11 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/3/2010 12:43:24 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 11/3/2010 12:29:07 PM, innomen wrote:
At 11/3/2010 12:23:29 PM, Ren wrote:
Buddhism is a religion.

I'm not sure I completely understand Geo's conception of it, but it does comprise divine beings, like Bodhisattvas, gods, Buddha himself, who is a divine god, and cows.

And yet our devout Buddhist Geo maintains being an atheist.

Well, you see no problem with discarding parts of your religion that you see as being nonsensical, like purgatory. By that same logic, there should be no problem with Geo excluding the odd supernatural parts of Buddhism while at the same time maintaining its secular tenets. Correct me if I'm wrong, though, since I'm very ignorant where Buddhism is concerned.

He can discard anything he likes but he cannot change the definition, at least the commonly accepted definition, of religion. He just doesn't have that power.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 12:58:40 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/3/2010 12:21:09 PM, innomen wrote:
At 11/3/2010 12:09:42 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/3/2010 11:59:23 AM, innomen wrote:
At 11/3/2010 11:50:35 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/3/2010 11:21:22 AM, innomen wrote:
I don't know that Buddhism fits here.

I'm sure there are many Buddhists who would answer "yes" to most of the questions.

It's kind of a not real religion. No God, no faith,

Oh, so only religions with a God are REAL religions. What about Taoism, Jainism, and Conficianism? They're all fake religions too?
Confucianism yes; i knew a Taoist and he believed in lots of ghosts and weird stuff, but i don't know enough to say it is or is not a relgion, and i know nothing about Jainism, but if you say so, sure they're fake religions.

Last I checked belief in God is not a prerequisite to be a religion. The you make it sound, Deism qualifies as a religion to you, but not Buddhism.

The fact that Buddhism has scriptures, temples, rituals, songs, and practices should be enough to make it a religion. It even has it's own account of creation.

it's really a philosophy that people are dedicated to.

And that's not religion?

That is correct sir.

The mistake that you are making is that a requirement for religion is belief in the transcendent, NOT necessarily God. In Buddhism, there is certainly a belief in the transcendent, and in fact proclaims that it's version of the transcendent is even greater than God.

In the common usage of the word religion, a god or higher power of some sort is required. Not sure why you object.

If your going to appeal to common understanding, then Buddhism, Taoism, and Jainism are religions. Not sure why you object.

Again, you didn't refute my points. Religion requires a belief in the transcendent, not necessarily God. You keep evading this.

I've taken a course on world religions and learned what constitutes as a religion so I should know.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 1:09:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/3/2010 12:58:40 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/3/2010 12:21:09 PM, innomen wrote:
At 11/3/2010 12:09:42 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/3/2010 11:59:23 AM, innomen wrote:
At 11/3/2010 11:50:35 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/3/2010 11:21:22 AM, innomen wrote:
I don't know that Buddhism fits here.

I'm sure there are many Buddhists who would answer "yes" to most of the questions.

It's kind of a not real religion. No God, no faith,

Oh, so only religions with a God are REAL religions. What about Taoism, Jainism, and Conficianism? They're all fake religions too?
Confucianism yes; i knew a Taoist and he believed in lots of ghosts and weird stuff, but i don't know enough to say it is or is not a relgion, and i know nothing about Jainism, but if you say so, sure they're fake religions.

Last I checked belief in God is not a prerequisite to be a religion. The you make it sound, Deism qualifies as a religion to you, but not Buddhism.

The fact that Buddhism has scriptures, temples, rituals, songs, and practices should be enough to make it a religion. It even has it's own account of creation.

it's really a philosophy that people are dedicated to.

And that's not religion?

That is correct sir.

The mistake that you are making is that a requirement for religion is belief in the transcendent, NOT necessarily God. In Buddhism, there is certainly a belief in the transcendent, and in fact proclaims that it's version of the transcendent is even greater than God.

In the common usage of the word religion, a god or higher power of some sort is required. Not sure why you object.

If your going to appeal to common understanding, then Buddhism, Taoism, and Jainism are religions. Not sure why you object.
Let's be clear, it was your description of Buddhism that brought me to the conclusion that it is not a religion, prior to that, i had no real opinion. If you are going to maintain that you are an atheist and have a religion, then i will assert that you have an inconsistency in your credo.

Again, you didn't refute my points. Religion requires a belief in the transcendent, not necessarily God. You keep evading this.

"transcendent" - i haven't come across a definition of religion that includes this murky concept. Because you may have a single aspect of a definition doesn't mean you qualify.

I've taken a course on world religions and learned what constitutes as a religion so I should know.
As i said, it was your description of Buddhism that brought me to that conclusion. You are still an atheist?