Jump to topic:

Respect Is Due Or Earned?

Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 3:24:59 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
- Coming from a radically different worldview, I always find myself struggling with understanding & sorting new unfamiliar western born views. One particular view on Respect never sat well with me, that is, the widely accepted belief that Respect is earned, not given. In my worldview, Respect is, in principal, always due, for humanity itself warrants basic dignity, thus an a-priori due respect. Only when one displays undignified behaviour, would one lose said due, thus, having to earn it otherwise. One who displays dignified behaviour, particularly, deserves respect.

=> Which of the two views do you think should be the case? What is your personal view on Respect? Why?

Thank you.
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 4:03:22 AM
At 2/14/2016 3:24:59 AM, Yassine wrote:
One who displays dignified behaviour, particularly, deserves respect.
This would be considered earning respect and consequently deserving the respect earned.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 4:28:34 AM
- Coming from a radically different worldview, I always find myself struggling with understanding & sorting new unfamiliar western born views. One particular view on Respect never sat well with me, that is, the widely accepted belief that Respect is earned, not given. In my worldview, Respect is, in principal, always due, for humanity itself warrants basic dignity, thus an a-priori due respect. Only when one displays undignified behaviour, would one lose said due, thus, having to earn it otherwise. One who displays dignified behaviour, particularly, deserves respect.

=> Which of the two views do you think should be the case? What is your personal view on Respect? Why?

Thank you.

I prefer the saying that Respect is a two way street.

People who say Respect is earned not given, are usually saying this in response to being challenged on their disrespectful behavior.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 4:40:19 AM
At 2/14/2016 4:28:34 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

Thank you.

People who say Respect is earned not given, are usually saying this in response to being challenged on their disrespectful behavior.
Change your name to Mr Generalisation.
What a wanker.
Peternosaint
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 5:56:53 AM
At 2/14/2016 4:40:19 AM, bulproof wrote:

Thank you.

What a wanker.

ME: Your usual respectful answer, Bulpoof!!!!!
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 6:29:44 AM

Thank you.

What a wanker.

Bullpoop God doesn't hate you. No matter how many Theist you convince to dislike you or how many disrespectful remarks you make to believers, none of that will make God hate you. God is waiting to save your soul, heal your mind and strengthen your body. No matter how bad you think you are God loves you, and likely has a different opinion of you than you think he has. God bless you
AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 6:59:10 AM
At 2/14/2016 6:29:44 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

Thank you.

What a wanker.

Bullpoop God doesn't hate you. No matter how many Theist you convince to dislike you or how many disrespectful remarks you make to believers, none of that will make God hate you. God is waiting to save your soul, heal your mind and strengthen your body. No matter how bad you think you are God loves you, and likely has a different opinion of you than you think he has. God bless you

Wanker
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 7:01:23 AM

Thank you.

Respect is always earned. Never do you give someone respect unless they earn it. Due or automatic respect is a dangerous proposition, for it eliminates any criticism afterwards, which is clearly wrong.

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 7:11:06 AM
At 2/14/2016 6:59:10 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:

Thank you.

What a wanker.

Wanker

AWSMOO55, that young fellow called "MOB" whose eye lid is attached to his foreskin, and who winks when he wanks and wanks when he winks, has earned respect from no one.
The tongue, the sharp two edged sword that divides the spirit from the soul.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 7:17:45 AM
At 2/14/2016 7:01:23 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:

Thank you.

Respect is always earned. Never do you give someone respect unless they earn it. Due or automatic respect is a dangerous proposition, for it eliminates any criticism afterwards, which is clearly wrong.

You can give respect and still criticize.

I think tho OP is addressing mutual respect that should be given just because we are human and therefore humane to each other.

As I stated respect should be given to and potentially then loss by a persons actions
AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 7:19:15 AM
At 2/14/2016 7:11:06 AM, Gentorev wrote:

Thank you.

What a wanker.

Wanker

AWSMOO55, that young fellow called "MOB" whose eye lid is attached to his foreskin, and who winks when he wanks and wanks when he winks, has earned respect from no one.

"Whose eyelid is attached to his foreskin" xD I have never laughed so hard in my entire life Hahahaaha I can't XDDD LOLOL

BTW, whoever has his eyelid attached to his penis is quite a sorry soul...imagine going on a date xD XDDDDD Hahahaahah

AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 7:26:08 AM
At 2/14/2016 7:17:45 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

Thank you.

You can give respect and still criticize.

Definitely p.

I think tho OP is addressing mutual respect that should be given just because we are human and therefore humane to each other.

Sure, we get special privilege by being human, but if a man acts like an animal he should be treated as such. That's what I think.

As I stated respect should be given to and potentially then loss by a persons actions

Agreed.

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 7:29:40 AM

Thank you.

What a wanker.

I have it on very good authority that Batman doesn't hate me either, I'm so glad.
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 7:33:08 AM
At 2/14/2016 7:19:15 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:

Thank you.

What a wanker.

Wanker

"Whose eyelid is attached to his foreskin" xD I have never laughed so hard in my entire life Hahahaaha I can't XDDD LOLOL

BTW, whoever has his eyelid attached to his penis is quite a sorry soul...imagine going on a date xD XDDDDD Hahahaahah

I am so glad that it amused you. I have many other hilarious ways of referring to godless insult hurling wankers such as yourself, I only hope that you don't die in a fit of Laughter as the "MOB" that is you, who haunt the religious forums, continues spewing out your hatred for all things religious.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 7:42:09 AM
At 2/14/2016 7:33:08 AM, Gentorev wrote:

Thank you.

What a wanker.

Wanker

I am so glad that it amused you. I have many other hilarious ways of referring to godless insult hurling wankers such as yourself, I only hope that you don't die in a fit of Laughter as the "MOB" that is you, who haunt the religious forums, continues spewing out your hatred for all things religious.
How come you and the other pigs haven't jumped in the lake yet?
I love the obscure biblical reference game.
AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 7:44:12 AM

Thank you.

What a wanker.

Wanker

"godless insult hurling walkers such as yourself" XDDDD I'm dying!!!!!1!! Hahahaaha

The hypocrisy is real! xD lololol

Keep it going please, I haven't laughed this hard since I had my eyelid CIRCUMCISION ksndkd...HAHAHAAHAHA

Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 9:04:08 AM
At 2/14/2016 7:44:12 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:

Thank you.

What a wanker.

Wanker

"godless insult hurling walkers such as yourself" XDDDD I'm dying!!!!!1!! Hahahaaha

Keep it going please, I haven't laughed this hard since I had my eyelid CIRCUMCISION ksndkd...HAHAHAAHAHA

And now you have revealed why you a such a blind idiot stumbling about in the darkness of your own ignorance.
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 9:31:42 AM

Thank you.

- So, you postulate that respect is mutually conditional, that, is on party lacks it, the other should too?

People who say Respect is earned not given, are usually saying this in response to being challenged on their disrespectful behaviour.

- Are you saying, disrespect warrants similar treatment?
Current Debates:

Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 9:36:54 AM
At 2/14/2016 4:03:22 AM, bulproof wrote:

This would be considered earning respect and consequently deserving the respect earned.

- The point was, respect is always due, & it is much deserved when appropriate. That is, any man ought to be respected for just being a dignified human being, unless otherwise his actions contradict human dignity ; if his actions are conform with human dignity, then the respect is not just due, but also fitting.
Current Debates:

Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 9:38:45 AM
At 2/14/2016 7:42:09 AM, bulproof wrote:

Thank you.

What a wanker.

Wanker

How come you and the other pigs haven't jumped in the lake yet?
I love the obscure biblical reference game.

And now me old mate bullpoof, the pig invading spirit, wants to join in the game, as he refers to "MOB" his wanking eyelidless and godless mate
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 9:39:02 AM

Respect is always earned. Never do you give someone respect unless they earn it.

- Why? Why not?

Due or automatic respect is a dangerous proposition, for it eliminates any criticism afterwards, which is clearly wrong.

- Respect & criticism aren't mutually exclusive! In fact, appropriate criticism implies some degree of respect.
Current Debates:

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 9:42:38 AM
At 2/14/2016 9:36:54 AM, Yassine wrote:

- The point was, respect is always due, & it is much deserved when appropriate. That is, any man ought to be respected for just being a dignified human being, unless otherwise his actions contradict human dignity ; if his actions are conform with human dignity, then the respect is not just due, but also fitting.
You have now changed your story to more closely align with mine. You originally that simply belonging to the human race deserved respect and now it is due to a dignified human being.
Do you believe that occupying a high office or rank or station deserves automatic respect?
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 9:58:54 AM
At 2/14/2016 9:42:38 AM, bulproof wrote:

You have now changed your story to more closely align with mine. You originally that simply belonging to the human race deserved respect and now it is due to a dignified human being.
Do you believe that occupying a high office or rank or station deserves automatic respect?

If that high official has the power to have me executed if respect is not shown? Then, "YES."
AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 10:07:10 AM
At 2/14/2016 9:04:08 AM, Gentorev wrote:
At 2/14/2016 7:44:12 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:

Thank you.

What a wanker.

Wanker

And now you have revealed why you a such a blind idiot stumbling about in the darkness of your own ignorance.

Well no wonder! Apparently I have a penis on my eyelid XDDD I can't say that with a strait face I swear hahaha

AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 10:10:22 AM
At 2/14/2016 9:39:02 AM, Yassine wrote:

Respect is always earned. Never do you give someone respect unless they earn it.

- Why? Why not?

Well to give someone respect, they have to be a good person with qualities one can look up to. After all, you cannot respect a bad, unjust and unintelligent person can you?

That is why I say respect should be earned.

Due or automatic respect is a dangerous proposition, for it eliminates any criticism afterwards, which is clearly wrong.

- Respect & criticism aren't mutually exclusive! In fact, appropriate criticism implies some degree of respect.

Tis true.

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 10:14:36 AM
At 2/14/2016 9:58:54 AM, Gentorev wrote:

If that high official has the power to have me executed if respect is not shown? Then, "YES."
Someone who believes in heaven? Oh dear.
But regardless it makes you a part of the problem and you'll never be a part of the solution.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 10:35:08 AM

Yassine, thank you for an interesting and rare question. While you and I don't discuss many matters religious or scientific, I think this one is neither, intrinsically. I think it's philosophical with applications to religion and religious culture. I hope therefore that my contribution may be interesting and useful to you.

Respect normally has two meanings in English, so it's recognised in different ways. Sometimes it's defined as a feeling (which makes it easy to recognise in ourselves, but hard to recognise in others). Sometimes it's recognised as due regard -- typically for feelings, wishes or rights. For the purposes of discussion I'll focus on the latter.

From the outset, I want to acknowledge that the idea of respect is important; not simply because it engenders trust, courtesy and reciprocity in a society, but because without respect I do not believe justice is possible. If our laws are to be just, they need to recognise that individuals are worthy of respect not simply for what they may do or have done, but for who they are.

For that reason, I do not believe that a just society can hold that over-all, respect is only ever earned. There's a minimum respect that must be advanced in every circumstance where it reasonably can be, and the allocation of legal rights for men, women and children is the enshrinement of our respect for people as a fundamental social value. Weaken it, and our societies would be less just and less kind than they are -- and with no respect I doubt there could be society at all.

However, respect can apply to more than just fellow humans. It can also be applied to occupations and positions of authority, to public property, to monuments and symbols, and even to ideas.

Here, the problem grows more vexed. Objects and ideas have no feelings. wishes or rights -- however people may have feelings, wishes or rights about them. Are people entitled to demand compliance as marks of respect? Regardless of whether they are so entitled, I think people in power can create laws and traditions saying that they are. Such laws and traditions increase their power, and if power is to be just, it must be accountable, and therefore respect for objects, ideas and abstracts must be justified and not simply asserted.

On the whole I do not believe that respect for ideas themselves is justifiable, simply because ideas are contestable, and the act of contesting them is key to a just and intelligent society.

Yet groups -- ethnic or cultural -- form part of one's identity, so they have a right to respect with regard to their reputation and dignity. Though freedom of expression may be a right, it is not freedom from responsibility for the truth or justice in our words. If we criticise others -- or worse, vilify them -- we had better do so accurately, justly and accountably for any ignorance and error.

Public buildings and monuments are held in public trust, so citizens have a right to expect the same respect for them normally accorded private property. We don't deface or steal private property, so we should not deface or steal public property.

Private buildings such as places of worship, or sacred indigenous sites are held in cultural trust, so their owners or custodians have a right to demand respect for their history and use.

Professions, I believe, are avocations of service. So they are entitled to respect only to the extent that their service is guided by reasonable moral and ethical principles. In particular, the twin moral principles of doing public good while avoiding public harm, and the ethical principles of being diligent, transparent and accountable for what is done are key to the respect in which we hold any profession. To the extent a professional upholds those values, and the professional upholds best professional practice, I believe they're entitled to professional respect. To the extent that they don't, I believe they're not. So professions are one case where I think respect is earned by the avocation, and thereafter accorded each professional in good standing unless until they show they don't deserve it.

So what does that mean for religion? I think it's mixed. So respect for religious:

* Worship? Yes, because worship is correctly identified as a fundamental human right.
* Dogma? No, because ideas should be contestable.
* Places, monuments, historical artefacts and artworks? Yes, because they are held in trust.
* Laws? No, because laws are ideas and ideas should be contestable.
* Groups? Yes, because cultural groups form part of individual identity.
* Texts, abstract names and symbols? No, because they are only the expression of ideas, and ideas are contestable.
* Professions? It's case by case: only if the profession earns it with demonstrable benevolence, non-malevolence, diligence, transparency and accountability. If you want to criticise a religious profession or professional, by all means do, but get your facts right.
* Authorities? As for professions.

I think the spread of my answers shows a trade-off here, Yassine: the right of anyone to make parts of their lives sacred for worship and to live in dignity, vs the right of others to contest ideas and criticise occupations and authorities acting unprofessionally.

That's my answer in summary. I hope it may be useful.
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 11:11:50 AM
At 2/14/2016 10:14:36 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/14/2016 9:58:54 AM, Gentorev wrote:

Someone who believes in heaven? Oh dear.
But regardless it makes you a part of the problem and you'll never be a part of the solution.

Yes, I remember back when I was a young fellow, before I had seriously studied the scriptures, I was in church with my mother when the priest asked all those who wanted to go to heaven to stand up. everyone did, except me, and when the priest ask if I didn't want to go to heaven, I replied; "Of course I do, but I thought you meant right now."

Nah mate, if you think that I fear death, then you are sadly mistaken, but I, the spirit=mind that is developing within this physical body which is to be returned to the universal elements from which it was created, want to be sure that I am as mature as a spirit can be before I cross over to the other world, and not like some childish atheistic mind, which when it is a disembodied spirit, wont know what the hell is going on, and having no physical senses to gather information, will die of the thirst for that knowledge.
Casten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 11:14:03 AM
Depends on how you're defining "respect."

There is common respect, synonymous with common courtesy. Then there is special respect, when someone is elevated above the rest in your eyes through character or deed.

Common respect, I think, is reasonably due to everyone, but standards of common respect can vary wildly depending on context -- region, situation, setting.

Special respect should obviously be earned.

Then there is hierarchical respect. Present in all walks of life. Respect your elders. Respect your teachers. Respect your boss, your commanding officer, your judge. Respect the nobility, in older times -- the gentry, the aristocracy, the monarchy. Hierarchical respect is almost always presented as "due."