Jump to topic:

The Dalai Lama is An Atheist

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 6:41:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
That's right, the spiritual leader of Buddhism (akin to the Pope of Christianity) is an Atheist and has declared Buddhism is Atheistic.

==============

The Dalai Lama: "Basically, religions may be divided into two groups. One group, including Judaism, Christianity, Islam, and some ancient Indian traditions, I call God religions. Their fundamental faith is in a Creator. The other group of religious tradition, including Jainism, Buddhism, I usually call godless religions. They do not believe in a Creator."

The Dalai Lama: "According to some, godless religion is more effective; according to others, God religions are more effective. The position is individual; it is a matter of choice."

http://celebatheists.com...
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 6:47:47 PM
At 11/3/2010 6:41:41 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
That's right, the spiritual leader of Buddhism (akin to the Pope of Christianity) is an Atheist and has declared Buddhism is Atheistic.

==============

The Dalai Lama: "Basically, religions may be divided into two groups. One group, including Judaism, Christianity, Islam, and some ancient Indian traditions, I call God religions. Their fundamental faith is in a Creator. The other group of religious tradition, including Jainism, Buddhism, I usually call godless religions. They do not believe in a Creator."

The Dalai Lama: "According to some, godless religion is more effective; according to others, God religions are more effective. The position is individual; it is a matter of choice."

inb4 Atheism is a Godless religion.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2010 11:06:01 AM
Do you concede now, Zetsubou?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GrabYoSocks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2010 11:14:33 AM
At 11/3/2010 6:47:47 PM, tvellalott wrote:

==============

inb4 Atheism is a Godless religion.

Atheism is not a religion. It is an idea a belief but not a religion.
Oh, and the Dalai lama is a "Humanist" he believes in Love and peace and the belief that humans are good, or should do more good in this world.

"All major religious traditions carry basically the same message, that is love, compassion and forgiveness the important thing is they should be part of our daily lives."
Dalai Lama
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2010 11:22:24 AM
Why isn't he dead yet? He's a social terrorist, I dare him to go back to China.

===========
The Dalai Lama is a Gelug Buddhist = a minority.

He's like a liberal quaker or a Christian unitarian universalist, let him quack his BS. It represents nothing.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2010 11:36:26 AM
At 11/4/2010 11:22:24 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
Why isn't he dead yet? He's a social terrorist, I dare him to go back to China.

===========
The Dalai Lama is a Gelug Buddhist = a minority.

He's like a liberal quaker or a Christian unitarian universalist, let him quack his BS. It represents nothing.

Fail. The Dalai Lama is technically a Tibetan Buddhist, though he seems to go even further than that and supports the beliefs of Buddhism in general because he has such a vast knowledge of all Buddhist scripture.

And no, he is not liberal in any sense of the word. He is quite conservative and traditional when it comes to Buddhism. He isn't on the fringe of Buddhism, he knows Buddhist scripture inside and out and understands the core of Buddhism.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2010 11:41:57 AM
At 11/4/2010 11:13:23 AM, innomen wrote:
I'm not understanding, so he gets to decide if Buddhism fits the definition of religion?

No, I never said that, nor is that what this is about.

Zetsubou claims that the dominant view of Buddhists is Theistic, so I countered that claim by saying "look, even the Dalai Lama is an Atheist and declares Buddhism to be Atheistic" so how could it be the dominant view that Buddhism is Theistic?

Btw, this is not proof that Buddhism is Atheistic, but rather that the dominant view of Buddhism is Atheistic.

As far as whether Buddhist doctrine is actually Atheistic, I have pages of scripture quotes from Buddha rejecting God so it's simply a fact that Buddhism is Atheistic.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2010 1:15:54 PM
At 11/4/2010 11:41:57 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/4/2010 11:13:23 AM, innomen wrote:
I'm not understanding, so he gets to decide if Buddhism fits the definition of religion?

No, I never said that, nor is that what this is about.

Zetsubou claims that the dominant view of Buddhists is Theistic, so I countered that claim by saying "look, even the Dalai Lama is an Atheist and declares Buddhism to be Atheistic" so how could it be the dominant view that Buddhism is Theistic?

Btw, this is not proof that Buddhism is Atheistic, but rather that the dominant view of Buddhism is Atheistic.

As far as whether Buddhist doctrine is actually Atheistic, I have pages of scripture quotes from Buddha rejecting God so it's simply a fact that Buddhism is Atheistic.

Understand i am not arguing with you that it's atheistic, i always thought the whole thing was kind of odd, but who am i to judge.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 9:44:42 PM

==============

There's nothing at all shocking about this, the Buddha was himself a tacit atheist, and spirituality is essentially our sensibilities about the values and sacred wonder intrinsic in reality, it doesn't have to involve belief in a supreme spectral entity somehow floating above natural existence.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 10:52:40 PM
At 11/11/2010 9:44:42 PM, charleslb wrote:

==============

There's nothing at all shocking about this, the Buddha was himself a tacit atheist,

I completely agree, but unfortunately many others would find it shocking.

And I am well aware that Buddha was an Atheist, in fact I am the first person ever to search through Buddhist scripture and compile all of the passages where Buddha discusses God (he rejects God on all accounts) and I plan to submit my findings to Buddhist published sites. I'm hoping that people can drop the common held myth that Buddha was an Agnostic, even many Buddhists falsely believe that, so hopefully the record will be set straight.

and spirituality is essentially our sensibilities about the values and sacred wonder intrinsic in reality, it doesn't have to involve belief in a supreme spectral entity somehow floating above natural existence.

Right on
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 11:52:29 PM
At 11/11/2010 11:07:41 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Freedo, Penn & Teller were way off.

There is no evidence to suggest the Dalai Lama was responsible for eye gouging as a punishment for breaking laws. Such a thing should appear blatantly false just on it's face because it sounds so outlandish. Also, the Dalai Lama was born into the Tibetan political system and was actually responsible for banishing previous harsh Tibetan policies. So any harsh punishments that occurred during the Dalai Lama's brief leadership was a result of past Tibetan policies that he had nothing to do with. Besides, he barely got to lead Tibet as he didn't truly gain political influence or power until he was 15 years old and then had to run to India fearful for his life at the age of 24. Yes, the Dalai Lama ruled with such an iron fist that he was chased out of his own territory and forced into exile! What an oppressive and powerful ruler! LMAO.

Regarding his wealthy status compared to the common Tibetans, it's not his fault he was born into fortunate conditions. He didn't engage in any immoral activity to attain it, he was simply born. And as any Libertarian would agree, no one is obliged to give money away. He has done enough as it is as he has spent 51 years trying to liberate Tibet from the Chinese authoritarian invasion and enslavement. However, he has done this entirely through peaceful means and as such, hasn't had much success in keeping China out of Tibet. He uses purely diplomatic means.

As far as the CIA backing, the CIA is the one who offered support and yes, they received funding from them. However, the Dalai Lama criticized the CIA saying that "the US Government had involved itself in his country's affairs, not to help Tibet, but only as a Cold War tactic to challenge the Chinese."

So, looks like Penn & Teller are completely wrong in their attempt to "expose" and defame the Dalai Lama.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2010 12:37:19 AM

What confuses me is that his predeccessor was a polytheist who even deified a mad Austrian baron.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2010 1:22:56 AM
At 11/12/2010 12:37:19 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

What confuses me is that his predeccessor was a polytheist who even deified a mad Austrian baron.

Simple. 13th Dalai Lama =/= 14the Dalai Lama.

Though, I question where you got your information. I haven't seen any information that mentions nor confirms that.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Elmakai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2010 3:08:51 PM
As much as I love Penn and Teller, they did seem off base. Obviously, they have financial evidence against Mother Teresa, they have written words of Gandhi, yet, where is the evidence for eye gouging and tongue removal? As Geo said, it did seem a bit off base. I could be wrong though. The thing is that these leaders are not anymore holy than anyone else. I don't recall every hearing or reading the Dalai Lama said that he has any authority on Buddhist beliefs (not too sure about Teresa or Gandhi). He has made statements that Buddhism should adapt if science proves something about it wrong. That doesn't mean what he says goes, especially not for all Buddhists.

Not to say that any of that actually negates what the people were saying. If Charles Manson said "People should strive to not hurt each other", while it may be a hypocritical statement, it doesn't make the statement less true. Personally, I don't think we should idealize anybody. Instead, we should all be trying to do the best we can with what we have.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2010 3:23:56 PM
At 12/6/2010 3:08:51 PM, Elmakai wrote:
Not to say that any of that actually negates what the people were saying. If Charles Manson said "People should strive to not hurt each other", while it may be a hypocritical statement, it doesn't make the statement less true.

lol Geo's thread is the one place criticizing Charles Manson won't go unchallenged.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."