Jump to topic:

Understanding religion/cults

Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 12:39:03 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
I came across a satire of starting a religion to enrich one's self among other things. Although it is totally absurd it does cover some important points that so many religions/cults all do.

I found the points to be made clear in a way I have not seen in a long time so I thought I would share some exerts, full article at the bottom.

"Yessir, you heard me right. You too can start your very own cult, TODAY, and begin reaping the benefits of the hundreds of mindlessly devoted followers who will lavish you with unconditional adoration, financial gifts and gratuitous sexual favors."

"All cults are based on some sort of faith in something being true, regardless of the evidence. So to begin, we must come up with a small set of beliefs that cannot be easily proven or disproven.

And considering how pretty much none of us ever know what the **** is going on, this is surprisingly easy to do.

The obvious choices here involve deities and promises of the impending apocalypse and/or salvation, because seriously, nothing gives people a hard-on more than thinking the end of the world is coming and they"re one of the chosen few to survive it."

"Now that your fledgling cult has a few core tenets, you need to find a way to protect yourself from the inevitable criticism that will be flung your way.

All you have to do is bake into your core tenets some beliefs that invalidate anything that contradicts the belief. This sounds complicated but is actually pretty easy to do.

Here are some examples:

If you criticize the war, then you must support the terrorists. Therefore, your opinion is invalid.

God created science to test our faith in the face of contradicting evidence. Therefore, anything that contradicts the Bible is merely a test of my faith.

Anyone who criticizes feminist ideas or policies is sexist, and therefore does not deserve to have their ideas heard"

"It"s best to start preaching your message to people whose lives s--k the most. The poor. The outcasts. The abused and forgotten. There"s a reason all of the major religions in the world have a history of sending missionaries to the poorest and most destitute corners of the globe: starving people are easy sells"

"Now you"ve got to keep your followers energized and motivated. You can"t just let them loaf around and eat the free donuts you keep supplying. No way, Jose. We need to give them a reason to stay while simultaneously making them terrified to leave."

"It"s not just enough to just tell your followers that non-believers are bad. You must demonize them. You must convince them that it is of the utmost moral importance that everyone who does not get "it" be stopped, no matter what."

"The beauty of a cult is that the more you promise people salvation, enlightenment, world peace, a perfect happiness or whatever, the more they will fail to live up to that promise and blame themselves for it.

And the more they blame themselves for failing to live up to it, the more they"ll do any stupid s--t you tell them to do."

"This may all make you laugh. It may make you cry. It may make you want to beat me over the head with a tire iron. But the sad thing is that nothing that I have described in this article so far is particularly extraordinary or uncommon. It happens all the time. It"s happening right now."

http://markmanson.net...
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 1:42:51 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/15/2016 12:39:03 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
I came across a satire of starting a religion to enrich one's self among other things. Although it is totally absurd it does cover some important points that so many religions/cults all do.

I found the points to be made clear in a way I have not seen in a long time so I thought I would share some exerts, full article at the bottom.

"Yessir, you heard me right. You too can start your very own cult, TODAY, and begin reaping the benefits of the hundreds of mindlessly devoted followers who will lavish you with unconditional adoration, financial gifts and gratuitous sexual favors."

"All cults are based on some sort of faith in something being true, regardless of the evidence. So to begin, we must come up with a small set of beliefs that cannot be easily proven or disproven.

And considering how pretty much none of us ever know what the **** is going on, this is surprisingly easy to do.

The obvious choices here involve deities and promises of the impending apocalypse and/or salvation, because seriously, nothing gives people a hard-on more than thinking the end of the world is coming and they"re one of the chosen few to survive it."

"Now that your fledgling cult has a few core tenets, you need to find a way to protect yourself from the inevitable criticism that will be flung your way.

All you have to do is bake into your core tenets some beliefs that invalidate anything that contradicts the belief. This sounds complicated but is actually pretty easy to do.

Here are some examples:

If you criticize the war, then you must support the terrorists. Therefore, your opinion is invalid.

God created science to test our faith in the face of contradicting evidence. Therefore, anything that contradicts the Bible is merely a test of my faith.

Anyone who criticizes feminist ideas or policies is sexist, and therefore does not deserve to have their ideas heard"

"It"s best to start preaching your message to people whose lives s--k the most. The poor. The outcasts. The abused and forgotten. There"s a reason all of the major religions in the world have a history of sending missionaries to the poorest and most destitute corners of the globe: starving people are easy sells"

"Now you"ve got to keep your followers energized and motivated. You can"t just let them loaf around and eat the free donuts you keep supplying. No way, Jose. We need to give them a reason to stay while simultaneously making them terrified to leave."

"It"s not just enough to just tell your followers that non-believers are bad. You must demonize them. You must convince them that it is of the utmost moral importance that everyone who does not get "it" be stopped, no matter what."

"The beauty of a cult is that the more you promise people salvation, enlightenment, world peace, a perfect happiness or whatever, the more they will fail to live up to that promise and blame themselves for it.

And the more they blame themselves for failing to live up to it, the more they"ll do any stupid s--t you tell them to do."

"This may all make you laugh. It may make you cry. It may make you want to beat me over the head with a tire iron. But the sad thing is that nothing that I have described in this article so far is particularly extraordinary or uncommon. It happens all the time. It"s happening right now."

http://markmanson.net...
This is pure gold.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin