Jump to topic:

Atheists would you rather...

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 6:09:10 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
Live in a Christianized area or take your chances somewhere else?

-----
Little girl bride

http://youtu.be...

Stoning festival

Hand cut off, Sharia

"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 6:37:54 PM
At 2/15/2016 6:09:10 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
I would most prefer to live in an area with strong rule of law where people are compassionate, well-educated, have ample food, shelter and medicine, and are free to to seek and explore, to reflect, express, and to disagree.

I do not think you can offer that, Bronto, even as an example, because you do not seem to me compassionate or well-educated, you seem to lack the insight to solve problems like producing more food, shelter or medicine, and seem terrified of intellectual freedom -- in fact, you seem terrified of the world over all.

What is it you think your thoughts can offer me, or anyone? What is one demonstrable achievement in your life that could not be achieved without the tawdy superstitions you cling to and promote?
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 6:42:33 PM
At 2/15/2016 6:37:54 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
I would most prefer to live in an area with strong rule of law where people are compassionate, well-educated, have ample food, shelter and medicine, and are free to to seek and explore, to reflect, express, and to disagree.

I do not think you can offer that, Bronto, even as an example, because you do not seem to me compassionate or well-educated, you seem to lack the insight to solve problems like producing more food, shelter or medicine, and seem terrified of intellectual freedom -- in fact, you seem terrified of the world over all.

What is it you think your thoughts can offer me, or anyone? What is one demonstrable achievement in your life that could not be achieved without the tawdy superstitions you cling to and promote?

This is a debate forum Ruv. You are citing Christian morality. NonChristian cultures do not deem morality the same as we do. But we were influenced by Christian concepts.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 6:42:56 PM
In a text that is coursing about on social media, professional God-slayer Richard Dawkins begrudgingly admitted that Christianity may actually be our best defense against aberrant forms of religion that threaten the world.

"There are no Christians, as far as I know, blowing up buildings," Dawkins said. "I am not aware of any Christian suicide bombers. I am not aware of any major Christian denomination that believes the penalty for apostasy is death."

In a rare moment of candor, Dawkins reluctantly accepted that the teachings of Jesus Christ do not lead to a world of terror, whereas followers of radical Islam perpetrate the very atrocities that he laments.

Because of this realization, Dawkins wondered aloud whether Christianity might indeed offer an antidote to protect western civilization against jihad.

"I have mixed feelings about the decline of Christianity, in so far as Christianity might be a bulwark against something worse," he said.

RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 6:50:05 PM
At 2/15/2016 6:42:33 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 2/15/2016 6:37:54 PM, RuvDraba wrote:

This is a debate forum Ruv. You are citing Christian morality.
Am I?

Are you sure that Buddhists do not also want a compassionate, well-educated society with abundant food and shelter, the freedom to explore ideas and a strong rule of law?

What about Hindus and Muslims? Are you sure they don't want the same? And Jews? Do Jews enjoy starving, leaky roofs, cruel neighbours and lives as working poor in factories where they're afraid to speak up?

My general impression is that they don't.

So if you're willing to allow that most developed societies have much the same recognition for happiness and meaning, what makes you think that Christians alone know how to do it?

In fact, what makes you think you know how to do it at all?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 6:52:37 PM
At 2/15/2016 6:42:56 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
In a text that is coursing about on social media, professional God-slayer Richard Dawkins begrudgingly admitted that Christianity may actually be our best defense against aberrant forms of religion that threaten the world.

"There are no Christians, as far as I know, blowing up buildings," Dawkins said. "I am not aware of any Christian suicide bombers. I am not aware of any major Christian denomination that believes the penalty for apostasy is death."

In a rare moment of candor, Dawkins reluctantly accepted that the teachings of Jesus Christ do not lead to a world of terror, whereas followers of radical Islam perpetrate the very atrocities that he laments.

Because of this realization, Dawkins wondered aloud whether Christianity might indeed offer an antidote to protect western civilization against jihad.

"I have mixed feelings about the decline of Christianity, in so far as Christianity might be a bulwark against something worse," he said.

Dawkins is merely appealing to the lesser of evils in the world.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 6:56:26 PM
At 2/15/2016 6:52:37 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Are you implying there are no "evils" in Atheism or just saying, yes, Christianity is better than the other major alternatives?

DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 7:03:50 PM
At 2/15/2016 6:56:26 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Are you implying there are no "evils" in Atheism or just saying, yes, Christianity is better than the other major alternatives?

The lesser of evils does not automatically mean it is better. If I don't accept any of those evils, how is that evil?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 7:14:04 PM
At 2/15/2016 7:03:50 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

The lesser of evils does not automatically mean it is better. If I don't accept any of those evils, how is that evil?

If you read the New Testament Jesus' teaching is beautiful, love and peace. This is where Christians are to get their ethics from.

Do you think Atheism is a good system for being moral or ethical? Is it void of "evils"?

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 7:19:34 PM

There are absolutely no evils in rejecting your claim that gods exist ergo atheism.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 11:32:36 PM

-----
Little girl bride

Stoning festival

Hand cut off, Sharia

I would much rather live in some of the secular areas of Europe.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 11:42:42 PM
At 2/15/2016 7:14:04 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

If you read the New Testament Jesus' teaching is beautiful, love and peace. This is where Christians are to get their ethics from.

Show me a person who behaves in a Christ-like manner and I'll show you someone who isn't a Christian.

Do you think Atheism is a good system for being moral or ethical? Is it void of "evils"?

Perhaps, when you have the time, try to read up on what atheism is about so you don't get confused when you ask questions that have nothing to do with atheism.
Redfordnutt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 11:34:39 PM

-----
Little girl bride

Stoning festival

Hand cut off, Sharia

We've only been 'Christianized' for 1-2 thousand years.

Humans will probably inhabit the earth for at least a few more hundred thousands of years but I can't see into the future so I don't know if that era will still be Christianized of secular, so it's almost impossible to say.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 9:16:00 PM
At 2/15/2016 7:19:34 PM, bulproof wrote:

There are absolutely no evils in rejecting your claim that gods exist ergo atheism.

Is it evil to call everyone else stupid...ahem...

Jovian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 9:29:30 PM

-----
Little girl bride

Stoning festival

Hand cut off, Sharia

False dichotomy x1000. Yeah becuase all Muslim areas promote these things don't they. Funny false dichotomy you're doing.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 7:11:34 AM

-----
Little girl bride

Stoning festival

Hand cut off, Sharia

Can I just stay in Australia?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 12:09:57 PM

Does this mean if you did not read the NT that you would not know of love, or beauty, and not be peaceful?
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 3:38:26 PM

-----
Little girl bride

Stoning festival

Hand cut off, Sharia

The fact that different areas have different religions makes religion a absolute joke.
Jovian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 3:47:26 PM
At 2/18/2016 12:09:57 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

Does this mean if you did not read the NT that you would not know of love, or beauty, and not be peaceful?

I'm really starting to believe this is the case. That indeed many Christians would commit terror on their vicinity if their god was proven not to exist.