Jump to topic:

True Objectivity

Sophisto
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 6:39:59 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
If you are picking sides like religion or atheism, you do not have any. Bias is picking a side and rooting for it. Agnostics are neutral, yes, but they do not wish to make any proactive progress.

Human bias is inevitable, and compensating for it is counterintuitive. Confirmation bias is on a rampage in the world of faith. When your enemy agrees with you, that is a decent sign of objective truth.

The only way to combat bias is to attack your own position, not just scrutinize it, but ridicule it. The arrogance is balanced with self-deprecating humility. I dare the atheists and Christians to do it. They won't. But I can and will. I can afford to. Once you realize how fragile your foundation of sand really is, renovation will not seem so difficult.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 7:46:26 PM
At 2/15/2016 6:39:59 PM, Sophisto wrote:
If you are picking sides like religion or atheism, you do not have any. Bias is picking a side and rooting for it. Agnostics are neutral, yes, but they do not wish to make any proactive progress.

Human bias is inevitable, and compensating for it is counterintuitive. Confirmation bias is on a rampage in the world of faith. When your enemy agrees with you, that is a decent sign of objective truth.

The only way to combat bias is to attack your own position, not just scrutinize it, but ridicule it. The arrogance is balanced with self-deprecating humility. I dare the atheists and Christians to do it. They won't.

I can't speak for atheists, but you are right that Christians won't. I bet you can because your position is deserving of attack and ridicule. Ours isn't.

But I can and will. I can afford to.

Of course. As your belief system has little value, treating it as if it is worthless seems consistent.

Once you realize how fragile your foundation of sand really is, renovation will not seem so difficult.

Yeah, your humility and self-deprecation is apparent.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 7:52:37 PM
At 2/15/2016 6:39:59 PM, Sophisto wrote:

The majority of atheists as well as theists are agnostic.

The only way to combat bias is to attack your own position, not just scrutinize it, but ridicule it. The arrogance is balanced with self-deprecating humility. I dare the atheists and Christians to do it. They won't. But I can and will. I can afford to.

Why would you ridicule a position that in your determination stands up to all valid scrutiny?
Sophisto
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 7:53:01 PM
You do realize I can identify as a Christian? You just unknowingly played into attacking your own. It works differently in this respect, for it requires conscious assault on a fellow believer to be effective.

You should read the profiles of those you insult before insulting them. And turn the other cheek this time around, Christian.

Jesus is the messiah, yes, yes, whatever.