Do you share your parents' worldview?

squonk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 7:23:24 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
An excerpt from How We Believe, by Michael Shermer:

"It turns out that the three strongest predictors of religiosity and belief in God are being raised religiously, gender (women are more religious than men), and parents' religiosity. The three strongest predicators of lower religiosity and disbelief in God are education, age, and parental conflict. In other words, being male, educated, and older tends to make people less religious, while being female and raised by religious parents generally makes you more religious. However, people do not live a psychological laboratory where variables can be perfectly controlled. All of these variables interact, and the effects of these interactions complicates the picture. For example, being raised religiously makes people more religious unless they have conflict with their parents, in which case the rebellious thing to do is become less religious. Likewise, a correlation between attending church when growing up and parental conflict showed that this combination led to a significant reduction in current church attendance. That is, if church attendance was high in youth but a person experienced conflict with parents, then lowered church attendance later was an apparent consequence of this conflict."

Were you raised religiously? What religion? What are [were] your parents' religious beliefs? Do your religious beliefs differ from your parents' religious beliefs? In what way?

Growing up, was religion important in your household? If so, how important was it? Did you pray? Attend religious services? Read scripture?

Did you have conflict with your parents?

Are you male or female? How old are you?

I'll post my answers soon!
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 7:33:12 PM
At 2/15/2016 7:23:24 PM, squonk wrote:

"It turns out that the three strongest predictors of religiosity and belief in God are being raised religiously, gender (women are more religious than men), and parents' religiosity. The three strongest predicators of lower religiosity and disbelief in God are education, age, and parental conflict. In other words, being male, educated, and older tends to make people less religious, while being female and raised by religious parents generally makes you more religious. However, people do not live a psychological laboratory where variables can be perfectly controlled. All of these variables interact, and the effects of these interactions complicates the picture. For example, being raised religiously makes people more religious unless they have conflict with their parents, in which case the rebellious thing to do is become less religious. Likewise, a correlation between attending church when growing up and parental conflict showed that this combination led to a significant reduction in current church attendance. That is, if church attendance was high in youth but a person experienced conflict with parents, then lowered church attendance later was an apparent consequence of this conflict."

Were you raised religiously? What religion? What are [were] your parents' religious beliefs? Do your religious beliefs differ from your parents' religious beliefs? In what way?

Growing up, was religion important in your household? If so, how important was it? Did you pray? Attend religious services? Read scripture?

Religion's importance varied so I can't give a good answer to that question. We prayed at meals and other specific occasions. We went to church on Sunday and bible study on Wednesdays. We also went to Vacation Bible School during the summer, though I suspect that was more to get us out of the house. I have no conflict with my parents. I'm male, 57 years of age. Finally, no, I don't have the same outlook on religion as my parents. They are very serious Baptists and I am an agnostic atheist.
squonk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 7:44:28 PM
I grew up in a Christian (anabaptist) household. But, my dad had issues* with the church. As a result of these issues, we stopped going to church when I was seven. For a while, we had "church at home." We prayed before meals, before bed, etc. I thought I had a personal relationship with Jesus when I was a kid.

I started doubting Christianity when I was 12 or so. By the time I was 14, I was openly agnostic. Eventually I became atheist (towards the Biblical God, of Christianity). I had a lot of conflict with my parents in my teenage years. They put me in foster care when I was 15.

I'm 22 years old. Male.

*I don't know what the issues were; I was too young to understand.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 8:00:31 PM
At 2/15/2016 7:44:28 PM, squonk wrote:
I grew up in a Christian (anabaptist) household. But, my dad had issues* with the church. As a result of these issues, we stopped going to church when I was seven. For a while, we had "church at home." We prayed before meals, before bed, etc. I thought I had a personal relationship with Jesus when I was a kid.

I started doubting Christianity when I was 12 or so. By the time I was 14, I was openly agnostic. Eventually I became atheist (towards the Biblical God, of Christianity). I had a lot of conflict with my parents in my teenage years. They put me in foster care when I was 15.

Are you saying your parents abandoned you in favor of Jesus?

I'm 22 years old. Male.

*I don't know what the issues were; I was too young to understand.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
squonk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 8:18:31 PM
"Are you saying your parents abandoned you in favor of Jesus?"

No. At least, I don't think so. I think my parents abandoned me for other reasons.

These days, I don't even know how "Christian" they are anyway. My Dad acknowledges that he is a Christian for emotional gratification (as opposed to rational reasons). My Mom still goes to church. As Christians go, they're not very...dogmatic? Fervent? I don't know what word to use.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 8:24:09 PM
At 2/15/2016 8:18:31 PM, squonk wrote:
"Are you saying your parents abandoned you in favor of Jesus?"

No. At least, I don't think so. I think my parents abandoned me for other reasons.

If indeed those reasons had anything to do with your change of religious beliefs, tell your dad I'd happily punch him in the face, repeatedly.

These days, I don't even know how "Christian" they are anyway. My Dad acknowledges that he is a Christian for emotional gratification (as opposed to rational reasons). My Mom still goes to church. As Christians go, they're not very...dogmatic? Fervent? I don't know what word to use.

Hypocrite is a word that comes to mind.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 8:40:43 PM

Were you raised religiously?

Yes.

What religion?

Baptists ...Christianity

What are [were] your parents' religious beliefs?

Dad is Baptist. Mom is YEC, I think.

Do your religious beliefs differ from your parents' religious beliefs?

Yes

In what way?

I'm not a believer.

Yes. My father was a preacher, so I prayed, I went to religious services, and I read/memorized scripture. As a young adult, I taught Bible study, was a Lay Eucharistic minister, and I considered being a priest (very briefly).

No. Nothing beyond normal teenage stuff.

Are you male or female?

Male.

How old are you?

This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 2:46:28 AM

No. Father is agnostic and mother dabbles in wiccan. Went to church maybe once or twice with my family.

I was a rebellious teen but none of the tension was over religion. Religious discussion was not a part of growing up.

Male 36