Jump to topic:

Modern Prophet

Philosophy101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 5:02:24 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
If you found someone extremely moral and they claimed they are some sort of religious authority, would you believe them or start to question their sanity?

How would you test them to see if they are the real deal or a complete fraud (or somewhere in between)?

If you found them to have strong character and identity, would you join their cause or keep your own values instead?
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 6:56:14 AM
At 2/16/2016 5:02:24 AM, Philosophy101 wrote:

If you found someone extremely moral and they claimed they are some sort of religious authority, would you believe them or start to question their sanity?

Depends on whether they affirmed Jesus or not. For me, contradicting Jesus gets you the boot no matter what else impresses me about you.

How would you test them to see if they are the real deal or a complete fraud (or somewhere in between)?

Does he agree with, or contradict the Bible? My one and only test. This is how Christians have been able to know that Mormons, JW's, and Scientology are all heresy.

If you found them to have strong character and identity, would you join their cause or keep your own values instead?

I've already joined the cause of Jesus, so they would join me and also follow Jesus, or I would leave them behind without so much as a goodbye.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 7:07:13 AM
At 2/16/2016 6:56:14 AM, ethang5 wrote:

Depends on whether they affirmed Jesus or not. For me, contradicting Jesus gets you the boot no matter what else impresses me about you.

Does he agree with, or contradict the Bible? My one and only test. This is how Christians have been able to know that Mormons, JW's, and Scientology are all heresy.

I've already joined the cause of Jesus, so they would join me and also follow Jesus, or I would leave them behind without so much as a goodbye.
Oh ye of little faith, where is thou thetan?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Philosophy101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 7:36:45 AM

Consider this to maybe open your thought a little more. Suppose you were alive in Jesus's time and instead of Jesus, substitute Moses each time you said it. You would have failed to believe in something you do now simply because he wasn't Moses.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 7:58:46 AM
At 2/16/2016 7:36:45 AM, Philosophy101 wrote:

Consider this to maybe open your thought a little more. Suppose you were alive in Jesus's time and instead of Jesus, substitute Moses each time you said it. You would have failed to believe in something you do now simply because he wasn't Moses.

Basically, you are asking what I would have done 2,000 years ago. Do you know anyone who can answer that question? But yet I have clues. I probably would have been a Jew. (The religion) But since Jesus convinced me today, I think it is likely that He would have convinced me back then too.

My point was that if one had a standard for measuring truth, they would use that standard to measure the truth of this new prophet. If one had no standard, then one would not be able to measure the prophet and it would come down to whether the message of the prophet flattered the personal tastes of the person. Quite dangerous.

The Bible, tried and tested, is the standard of the Christian. The Anti-Christ knows this, so has nudged the world into thinking it is useless and perhaps even bad. But Jesus promised us that even the gates of Hell would not prevail against His powerful words.

And this why atheists here scurry away from my questions like cockroaches from a can of Raid. They don't want to debate it, they want only to undermine it.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 8:02:31 AM
At 2/16/2016 7:07:13 AM, bulproof wrote:

Ethan - Atheists here don't want to debate the word, they only want to undermine it.

Hey Philosophy101, exhibit A.
Philosophy101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 8:25:01 AM
At 2/16/2016 7:58:46 AM, ethang5 wrote:
At 2/16/2016 7:36:45 AM, Philosophy101 wrote:
At 2/16/2016 5:02:24 AM, Philosophy101
would join me and also follow Jesus, or I would leave them behind without so much

Basically, you are asking what I would have done 2,000 years ago. Do you know anyone who can answer that question? But yet I have clues. I probably would have been a Jew. (The religion) But since Jesus convinced me today, I think it is likely that He would have convinced me back then too.

I'm sorry if abstract thinking is not your strong suit, this forum is probably not meant for you. You probably know nothing about Jewdaism, Islam, or any other religion. Being the case my guess is you don't know as much about yourself as you think you do. You most likely would have remained ignorant to Jesus' teaching and remained Jewish.

My point was that if one had a standard for measuring truth, they would use that standard to measure the truth of this new prophet. If one had no standard, then one would not be able to measure the prophet and it would come down to whether the message of the prophet flattered the personal tastes of the person. Quite dangerous.

Standards are like bridges, they grow old and in disrepair when not constantly being rebuilt.

The Bible, tried and tested, is the standard of the Christian. The Anti-Christ knows this, so has nudged the world into thinking it is useless and perhaps even bad. But Jesus promised us that even the gates of Hell would not prevail against His powerful words.

The Anti Christ is a load of ****. If you think I'm trying to tempt you from Christianity you are delusional and paranoid. I don't know you or care if you worship one god, ten gods, infinity gods, or no gods.

And this why atheists here scurry away from my questions like cockroaches from a can of Raid. They don't want to debate it, they want only to undermine it.

They don't scurry away, but get sick of the same horse**** over and over again and don't want to debate you.

Try thinking for yourself for once, this was is not a test of your Faith, just a little puzzle to get people thinking.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 8:40:50 AM
At 2/16/2016 8:02:31 AM, ethang5 wrote:

Ethan - Atheists here don't want to debate the word, they only want to undermine it.

Isn't it wonderful that thang gives himself the right to disparage other denominations of his religion and other religions but gets all bitter and twisted if someone disparages his.
Did someone one say hypocrite? LOL. LMFAO
Philosophy101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 10:11:42 AM
At 2/16/2016 8:40:50 AM, bulproof wrote:

Isn't it wonderful that thang gives himself the right to disparage other denominations of his religion and other religions but gets all bitter and twisted if someone disparages his.

What religion am I defending? If you don't want to debate your religion, fine. But don't say I am the voice of the antichrist--a ****ed up thing to say because you don't happen to think any other thought but bible is worth your time. Stay in your cave and watch shadows--but don't expect others to agree with you or like you.
A1tre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 10:16:36 AM

I'm guessing most people would question their sanity. But I would give him a chance because I am interested in learning what people believe in, even if they see themselves as a prophet.

Well for starters I think we have a good picture of what frauds look like: Televangelists, psychics and all the rest of the mumbo jumbo. They all show negative human behavior that I would not expect to see in a prophet (or other religious authority).

Then the obvious: prove it! Show that you can in someway perform a supernatural action on demand repeatedly in a way I can be sure there are no tricks or coincidences involved.

I would probably never change my core values of skepticism and open-mindedness. But If they were to prove themselves they might well change my perspective of the world.
But that would never happen on the basis of strong character and identity alone. Those traits might make me belive they are a strong human leader, but it takes more to justify a claim to religious authority.
Casten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 10:28:49 AM

1. I wouldn't believe them. But question their sanity? People who have beliefs that seem wacky to me aren't necessarily functionally insane.

2. I wouldn't test them. I'm lazy. I'd go make a sandwich. I can however provide details about the sandwich.

3. Keep my own values of course. I admire the character and convictions of more than a few religious people in my life. It doesn't mean they're a god or any kind of divine authority.
Philosophy101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 10:56:17 AM
At 2/16/2016 10:28:49 AM, Casten wrote:

1. I wouldn't believe them. But question their sanity? People who have beliefs that seem wacky to me aren't necessarily functionally insane.

2. I wouldn't test them. I'm lazy. I'd go make a sandwich. I can however provide details about the sandwich.

3. Keep my own values of course. I admire the character and convictions of more than a few religious people in my life. It doesn't mean they're a god or any kind of divine authority.

Very well put, I would probably be more curious than you, maybe even convert to a new religion. Maybe one where sandwiches are highly praised
Philosophy101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 11:04:48 AM
At 2/16/2016 10:16:36 AM, A1tre wrote:

I'm guessing most people would question their sanity. But I would give him a chance because I am interested in learning what people believe in, even if they see themselves as a prophet.

Well for starters I think we have a good picture of what frauds look like: Televangelists, psychics and all the rest of the mumbo jumbo. They all show negative human behavior that I would not expect to see in a prophet (or other religious authority).

Then the obvious: prove it! Show that you can in someway perform a supernatural action on demand repeatedly in a way I can be sure there are no tricks or coincidences involved.

I would probably never change my core values of skepticism and open-mindedness. But If they were to prove themselves they might well change my perspective of the world.
But that would never happen on the basis of strong character and identity alone. Those traits might make me belive they are a strong human leader, but it takes more to justify a claim to religious authority.

I can see a lot of people either dismissing offhand or following blindly. You seem more like someone who would try to see if you could incorporate these new values into your life. I could imagine it, howevet, also be exciting to have lived with Jesus, talked with Socrates or learned from Siddhartha. I wonder if it is a moot point now with so many people who are closeminded. None of these people would even make it out the front gate I would assume.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 2:58:46 PM

That's called having a closed mind.

Does he agree with, or contradict the Bible? My one and only test.

That's called confirmation bias.

This is how Christians have been able to know that Mormons, JW's, and Scientology are all heresy.

That's called arrogance.

So, let's recap, you have closed mind to accept anything other than what agrees with your personal beliefs, you are biased in those beliefs such that you have only one avenue of confirmation and that you're beliefs are causing you to be arrogantly selfish.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 3:10:56 PM

Obviously they are a fraud!
Sophisto
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 4:04:34 PM

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sophisto: If they are Jewish and can do miracles and predict improbable futures, then good for them. Christians are posers. The inflation rate of mass manufacturing "men of God" has rendered them more worthless as they convert more. Prophets should be rare, controversial, majorly "flawed" (quirky) and Jewish. Any gentile Christian who claims to have prophetic gifts is a fraud and fails to grasp the pattern in the Bible. Moses to Jesus, all Jewish. Christianity is at fault for displacing Jewish influence on the world.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 4:11:39 PM
At 2/16/2016 10:11:42 AM, Philosophy101 wrote:

What religion am I defending? If you don't want to debate your religion, fine. But don't say I am the voice of the antichrist--a ****ed up thing to say because you don't happen to think any other thought but bible is worth your time. Stay in your cave and watch shadows--but don't expect others to agree with you or like you.

Dear thing i was responding to the "thang" thing, I hope that is cleared up.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 8:42:49 PM
At 2/16/2016 2:58:46 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

That's called having a closed mind.

You are free to live your life by the PC rule of "what it's called". When truth enters my mind, the door behind it closes. I don't care what you or the PC hoards call it.

Does he agree with, or contradict the Bible? My one and only test.

That's called confirmation bias.

You are free to live your life by the PC rule of "what it's called". When truth enters my mind, the door behind it closes. I don't care what you or the PC hoards call it.

This is how Christians have been able to know that Mormons, JW's, and Scientology are all heresy.

That's called arrogance.

So, let's recap, you have committed to accept nothing other than what agrees with Jesus, you are steadfast in those beliefs such that you use only truth as confirmation and that you're beliefs are causing you to be loyal and devout.

Fixed.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 8:58:56 PM
At 2/16/2016 8:25:01 AM, Philosophy101 wrote:
At 2/16/2016 7:58:46 AM, ethang5 wrote:

would join me and also follow Jesus, or I would leave them behind without so much goodbye.

I'm sorry if abstract thinking is not your strong suit, this forum is probably not meant for you.

Stop being stupid. That isn't "abstract" thinking. Telling you I would have done this or that 2,000 years ago would simply mean nothing.

You probably know nothing about Jewdaism, Islam, or any other religion.

I am 54 years old and I currently live in Africa where I live among Muslims. I have been to Israel many times and I have formally studied all the major religions.

Being the case my guess is you don't know as much about yourself as you think you do.

Perhaps. But you certainly don't know as much about me as you think you do either.

You most likely would have remained ignorant to Jesus' teaching and remained Jewish.

Perhaps. Maybe because you think so, it would have happened. Maybe you know.

Standards are like bridges, they grow old and in disrepair when not constantly being rebuilt.

How many times have we "rebuilt" an "old" speed of light? Perhaps you don't know as much about standards as you think you do either.

The Anti Christ is a load of ****.

I agree. Only I never use vulgarity.

If you think I'm trying to tempt you from Christianity you are delusional and paranoid. I don't know you or care if you worship one god, ten gods, infinity gods, or no gods.

Whoa! Calm down there Ghost Rider. YOU asked me a question, I answered. Take a chill pill. I don't know you or care if you don't worship one god, ten gods, infinity gods, or no gods.

They don't scurry away, but get sick of the same horse**** over and over again and don't want to debate you.

Yeah, we'll say that. The Gentle Readers who have been here longer than 2 weeks will make up their own minds.

Try thinking for yourself for once, this was is not a test of your Faith, just a little puzzle to get people thinking.

You trying to get people thinking is like a rock trying to get people flying. All I did was answer the questions you asked. If answers will make you break out the stupid, perhaps you shouldn't ask them.

Did you want me to answer the way you liked or the way I wanted?

Surprised?
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 9:56:05 PM
At 2/16/2016 4:11:39 PM, bulproof wrote:

lol.

Two idiots walk into a forum..............
Philosophy101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 10:47:09 PM
At 2/16/2016 4:11:39 PM, bulproof wrote:

My bad, I was hoping you were talking about etang5...I was like I didn't think I was bitter and twisted--more inflamed and disdainful