Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

Galileo, Hell and Science

dee-em
Posts: 7,847
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 11:11:17 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
This is an interesting piece on Galileo being commissioned to calculate the dimensions of Hell (universally believed to be within the Earth at the time).

http://www.abc.net.au...

He turned the problem of hell and its dimensions into one of the foundations of modern science and engineering.

In doing so, Galileo established an approach to science that has held sway to this day --- that of stubbornly checking out your beliefs against reality.
Fatihah: It's like your mother making spaghetti and after you taste it and don't like it, you say "well my mom must not exist". Not because their is no logical evidence but because she doesn't do what you want.
desmac
Posts: 5,079
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 12:15:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/17/2016 11:32:50 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
Dante's inferno is not scripture.

Well spotted. Give the guy a gold star.
bulproof
Posts: 28,789
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 12:44:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/17/2016 11:11:17 AM, dee-em wrote:
This is an interesting piece on Galileo being commissioned to calculate the dimensions of Hell (universally believed to be within the Earth at the time).

http://www.abc.net.au...

He turned the problem of hell and its dimensions into one of the foundations of modern science and engineering.

In doing so, Galileo established an approach to science that has held sway to this day --- that of stubbornly checking out your beliefs against reality.


I stopped reading but it was hilarious. Thanks for that.
dee-em
Posts: 7,847
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 2:20:41 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/17/2016 11:32:50 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
Dante's inferno is not scripture.

From the link:

The academic and church establishments of 14th century Italy took Dante's picture of hell literally. The Florentine academy even asked a young polymath called Galileo Galilei to calculate its exact dimensions, based on Dante's description.
Fatihah: It's like your mother making spaghetti and after you taste it and don't like it, you say "well my mom must not exist". Not because their is no logical evidence but because she doesn't do what you want.
Gentorev
Posts: 3,616
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 1:26:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/18/2016 2:20:41 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 2/17/2016 11:32:50 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
Dante's inferno is not scripture.

From the link:

The academic and church establishments of 14th century Italy took Dante's picture of hell literally. The Florentine academy even asked a young polymath called Galileo Galilei to calculate its exact dimensions, based on Dante's description.

Speaking of Galileo Galilei; It was only when he was on his death- bed that Nicolaus Copernicus dared to publish his sun-centred model of the universe. And Galileo Galilei, who was constantly in conflict with the church, skilfully arguing with the church authorities for Copernicus views, finally died under house arrest as a prisoner of the Inquisition.
The Tongue---the sharp two edged S-word that divides the spirit from the soul.