Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

Money

vardas0antras
Posts: 983
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2010 5:13:30 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'll start by citing something I read in youtube.com
"2014 and 2015 avatar 2 and 3 will be out! James cameron is directer again for both sequels! Hope he gets bigger budgets for both and blow the first one right out of the water!"

I started to think about how much this movie costs.Then my mind wandered to other things which are very expensive. The main things were: Michael Jacksons residence,expensive cars,private planes,chopard blue diamond ring (over $15 million) and a classmate who has probably over three watches for reasons unknown.

Now would God approve this?As I understand this life and from my interpretation of the Bible, Id say that he meant for some to be richer than others but isn't this going too far?

Well those things have been floating in my mind recently so I decided to share this, and finally what are your thoughts on this?This is a rather vague question since I myself don't know whats the point of these thoughts,yet.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2010 5:31:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/4/2010 5:13:30 PM, vardas0antras wrote:
I'll start by citing something I read in youtube.com
"2014 and 2015 avatar 2 and 3 will be out! James cameron is directer again for both sequels! Hope he gets bigger budgets for both and blow the first one right out of the water!"

I started to think about how much this movie costs.Then my mind wandered to other things which are very expensive. The main things were: Michael Jacksons residence,expensive cars,private planes,chopard blue diamond ring (over $15 million) and a classmate who has probably over three watches for reasons unknown.

Now would God approve this?As I understand this life and from my interpretation of the Bible, Id say that he meant for some to be richer than others but isn't this going too far?

Well those things have been floating in my mind recently so I decided to share this, and finally what are your thoughts on this?This is a rather vague question since I myself don't know whats the point of these thoughts,yet.


IMO...

God allows for free will and free choice, and any money made because of it, is because of it. God does not say "you have too much money...ZAP!" While he may push and lean some natural variables, those are almost always for lessons other then for money.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 2:21:20 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
One of the biggest disconnects i have with some theists who are more fundamental in their faith is the understanding of God's intent. It isn't about pleasing God by giving away your stuff, and remaining moderate in your property. It isn't about some divine justice that makes the rich damned and the poor ennobled. Although that is definitely the implication of the OT. It is rather what is good for the individual. Those who have a value where material possessions are more important than they should be, and the accumulation of wealth is the singular goal in life, they are typically less happy than those who are less oriented in the quest for more money and stuff. They are poorly developed spiritually. There is a deviation from spiritual principles by people who have values based in material accumulation, and that is bad for the individual. Those who live by spiritual principles are usually happier and better for society.
Atheism
Posts: 2,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 8:25:45 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/4/2010 5:31:15 PM, OreEle wrote:
God allows for free will and free choice, and any money made because of it, is because of it. God does not say "you have too much money...ZAP!" While he may push and lean some natural variables, those are almost always for lessons other then for money.
He does, actually.
http://ezinearticles.com...
And then he goes and says he doesn't. Either a contradiction in the supposed holy book, or rich people don't get into heaven.
Take your pick.
I miss the old members.
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 8:37:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
God doesn't care how much money you have. What matters is how you let your wealth affect your mind and soul.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 8:37:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I recall something about a camel being pulled through the eye of a needle. Too lazy to google.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 9:15:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/5/2010 8:25:45 PM, Atheism wrote:
At 11/4/2010 5:31:15 PM, OreEle wrote:
God allows for free will and free choice, and any money made because of it, is because of it. God does not say "you have too much money...ZAP!" While he may push and lean some natural variables, those are almost always for lessons other then for money.
He does, actually.
http://ezinearticles.com...
And then he goes and says he doesn't. Either a contradiction in the supposed holy book, or rich people don't get into heaven.
Take your pick.

Did you read until you found what you were looking for and then stopped there? Here I post the rest of the story. Below is a copy paste from the website he posted above.

"The Bible as a whole seems to suggest that there are two types of wealth. There is the wealth that we grab from our own endeavors, and the wealth that comes to us as a blessing. The wealth we grab, regardless of consequences, should come with a government health warning because it brings with it a host of evil temptations. like the desire to rush out and buy a designer suit that costs more than a family of four needs to live on for a month. Or we start to think we are something special, as though money can turn us into a talented rock star or brilliant footballer. It also has the effect of making fat ugly men think they are good looking and virile and vitally attractive to young, pretty blonds. All this of course is fake. Anything that is fake can't be true, and anything that is untrue is despicable to the Lord. This is the type of wealth that has to be minced before it can get through the eye of a needle and past St Peter at the Pearly Gates."

"The second type of wealth is a blessing for righteousness. This type of wealth makes no difference at all to its beneficiary. Whether he has it or not is irrelevant. Job at the end of the book is far richer than he was at the beginning yet by then his happiness is complete even without all the goats. God will not release wealth as a blessing until he knows it's in safe hands, that the blessed will go out and dig a well in Africa, or build low cost housing for families living below the poverty line. This is the sort of wealth that builds not destroys, is spread around not hoarded, enhances the world and does not embitter it.

Christians should not fear wealth, as long as their heart is in the right place."

Why must every argument be a straw man?
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen