Jump to topic:

Ye are gods...

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 4:33:06 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
Jesus replied, "It is written in your own Scriptures that God said to certain leaders of the people, 'I say, you are gods!'
(John 10:34)

I have said, "You are gods; you are all children of the Most High."
(Psalms 82:6)

How do you personally interpret these 2 verses?
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 5:02:04 PM
At 2/18/2016 4:33:06 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Jesus replied, "It is written in your own Scriptures that God said to certain leaders of the people, 'I say, you are gods!'

Humans are the real gods because they created the all deities people worship!
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 5:45:51 PM

The biblical view of gods, and what they are:

Gen:3:5: For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
(FYI, this verse Gen:3:5, meaning they provide their own judgement of what is good and evil for themselves and what is in thier hand to do, and rule therein)

Gen:31:30: And now, though thou wouldest needs be gone, because thou sore longedst after thy father's house, yet wherefore hast thou stolen my gods?

Gen:31:32: With whomsoever thou findest thy gods, let him not live: before our brethren discern thou what is thine with me, and take it to thee. For Jacob knew not that Rachel had stolen them.

Gen:35:2: Then Jacob said unto his household, and to all that were with him, Put away the strange gods that are among you, and be clean, and change your garments:

Gen:35:4: And they gave unto Jacob all the strange gods which were in their hand, and all their earrings which were in their ears; and Jacob hid them under the oak which was by Shechem.

Ex:12:12: For I will pass through the land of Egypt this night, and will smite all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment: I am the LORD.

Ex:15:11: Who is like unto thee, O LORD, among the gods? who is like thee, glorious in holiness, fearful in praises, doing wonders?

Ex:18:11: Now I know that the LORD is greater than all gods: for in the thing wherein they dealt proudly he was above them.

Ex:6:7: And I will take you to me for a people, and I will be to you a God: and ye shall know that I am the LORD your God, which bringeth you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians.

Ex:20:3: Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

A god can be a craved object you can put in your pocket, it doesn"t mean it created heaven and earth. Put in ancient times gods were providers and rules of a thing or things such as water rain prosperity fertility so on and so forth so in the context of the bible men arn"t gods put can be perceived as one just by their association to the Living God as in His asociation to Him. He told Moses that Moses would be like a god to Egypt.

Ex:7:1: And the LORD said unto Moses, See, I have made thee a god to Pharaoh: and Aaron thy brother shall be thy prophet.

And in the case of the Living God, He said to Israel " I am the LORD your God"
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 8:01:53 PM

Jesus refers to Psalms in this:

Jesus answered them, "Isn't it written in your law, 'I said, you are gods?' If he called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture can't be broken), Do you say of him whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, 'You blaspheme,' because I said, 'I am the Son of God?' If I don't do the works of my Father, don't believe me. But if I do them, though you don't believe me, believe the works; that you may know and believe that the Father is in me, and I in the Father."
John 10:34-38

And Psalms speaks"

God presides in the great assembly. He judges among the gods.
Psalms 82:1

I said, "You are gods, All of you are sons of the Most High. Nevertheless you shall die like men, And fall like one of the rulers."
Psalms 82:6-7

Now it happened on the day when the sons of God came to present themselves before Yahweh, that Satan also came among them.
Job 1:6

It was not said about people, but about angel leaders.

There is no need for interpreting; it is enough to understand directly what Jesus said.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 9:01:39 PM

Romans 8

16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

How do you interpret "heir"?
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
Yavneh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 2:08:31 AM

Bs"D

As a Jew, I can only speak of the latter. The meaning requires a fuller definition of the Hebrew word "Elokim (altered from original form by me-- k instead of h)" used in the verse.

El basically means "power". For example, Deuteronomy 28:32:

"Thy sons and thy daughters shall be given unto another people, and thine eyes shall look, and fail with longing for them all the day; and there shall be nought in the power of thy hand."
The Hebrew term for 'power of thy hand' is "L'el Yadecha".

There are two plural conjugations: The common 'Elim', used in prose for worldly rulers/important people; and 'Elokim', used either for G-d, or as a substitute for 'Elim' in poetic form.

Thus, the verse means, "I have said: you are extremely powerful, and all of you are children of the almighty."

The last phrase, by the way, is used figuratively, like in Deuteronomy 14:1:

You are the children of the LORD your G-d: you shall not cut yourselves, nor make any baldness between your eyes for the dead.

As for the NT verse, that is not within my scope. Sorry.
"Imagine a person who comes in here tonight and argues "air isn't true" but continues to breathe it while he argues. In their daily lives, Atheists continue to breathe-- they take medicine, fly on planes, watch TV, use computers and the Internet for communication and countless tasks, electrical lights when it's dark... all these are made possible by G-d's creations, and would not be possible via the Atheist worldview. They are breathing G-d's air all the time they argue against Him." -- Fly/Me