Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

Atheists, why are you here?

Jedd
Posts: 77
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 10:45:14 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
As in, in this forum. I mean, being an atheist too, I've had my fair share of stupid, ignorant, invalid and rhetorical nonsensical arguments that is by theists. You know what I'm talking about. And also, things never change. No matter how futile their God-of-the-gaps argument, no matter how hard we clarify that morality does not belong to religion, no matter how hard we destroy their creationism claims, ignorance and plain contradictory to thousands and thousands of cold hard evidence is just not enough to convince them. It's sad to see how human intelligence and reasoning is so drastically lowered. Religion is a poison, it is. So, why are you still here? Why are you wasting time here? I'd like to know.
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 3:24:09 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
Wise man (George Carlin) once said "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience". Well unfortunately the world is full of stupid people and arguing with them is inevitable, so why let them get the upper hand in experience?
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 4:28:03 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/20/2016 10:45:14 AM, Jedd wrote:
As in, in this forum. I mean, being an atheist too, I've had my fair share of stupid, ignorant, invalid and rhetorical nonsensical arguments that is by theists. You know what I'm talking about. And also, things never change. No matter how futile their God-of-the-gaps argument, no matter how hard we clarify that morality does not belong to religion, no matter how hard we destroy their creationism claims, ignorance and plain contradictory to thousands and thousands of cold hard evidence is just not enough to convince them. It's sad to see how human intelligence and reasoning is so drastically lowered. Religion is a poison, it is. So, why are you still here? Why are you wasting time here? I'd like to know.

Perhaps, atheists don't bother arguing with folks who present reasonable, rationale and intelligent discussions. Theists obviously do.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
DPMartin
Posts: 1,096
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 9:51:26 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/20/2016 10:45:14 AM, Jedd wrote:
As in, in this forum. I mean, being an atheist too, I've had my fair share of stupid, ignorant, invalid and rhetorical nonsensical arguments that is by theists. You know what I'm talking about. And also, things never change. No matter how futile their God-of-the-gaps argument, no matter how hard we clarify that morality does not belong to religion, no matter how hard we destroy their creationism claims, ignorance and plain contradictory to thousands and thousands of cold hard evidence is just not enough to convince them. It's sad to see how human intelligence and reasoning is so drastically lowered. Religion is a poison, it is. So, why are you still here? Why are you wasting time here? I'd like to know.

Because they genuinely believe they are superior to those who have a faith they don"t have, and they are going to show just how intelligent they believe they are. It"s their mission in life to prove that they are the greatest living thing there is, and are qualified to be their own gods and expect you to believe that horse dump. And when you reject it, they mock you all day long for not believing in them. When the truth is, it would be foolish to believe them and they expect you to be a fool.
Jovian
Posts: 1,719
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 10:18:55 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/20/2016 9:51:26 PM, DPMartin wrote:
At 2/20/2016 10:45:14 AM, Jedd wrote:
As in, in this forum. I mean, being an atheist too, I've had my fair share of stupid, ignorant, invalid and rhetorical nonsensical arguments that is by theists. You know what I'm talking about. And also, things never change. No matter how futile their God-of-the-gaps argument, no matter how hard we clarify that morality does not belong to religion, no matter how hard we destroy their creationism claims, ignorance and plain contradictory to thousands and thousands of cold hard evidence is just not enough to convince them. It's sad to see how human intelligence and reasoning is so drastically lowered. Religion is a poison, it is. So, why are you still here? Why are you wasting time here? I'd like to know.


Because they genuinely believe they are superior to those who have a faith they don"t have, and they are going to show just how intelligent they believe they are. It"s their mission in life to prove that they are the greatest living thing there is, and are qualified to be their own gods

You are your own god too. Everyone is.

and expect you to believe that horse dump. And when you reject it, they mock you all day long for not believing in them. When the truth is, it would be foolish to believe them and they expect you to be a fool.

I don't explode at people being religious. I understand why people have religions, but there are many flawed things with them which I just can't let remain unanswered.
themohawkninja
Posts: 816
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 10:26:56 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
Because there are some actually intelligent people on here.

Granted, there seems to be a lot less than the last time I was here (two years ago).
"Morals are simply a limit to man's potential."~Myself

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown
Jedd
Posts: 77
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 1:13:44 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/20/2016 9:51:26 PM, DPMartin wrote:
At 2/20/2016 10:45:14 AM, Jedd wrote:
As in, in this forum. I mean, being an atheist too, I've had my fair share of stupid, ignorant, invalid and rhetorical nonsensical arguments that is by theists. You know what I'm talking about. And also, things never change. No matter how futile their God-of-the-gaps argument, no matter how hard we clarify that morality does not belong to religion, no matter how hard we destroy their creationism claims, ignorance and plain contradictory to thousands and thousands of cold hard evidence is just not enough to convince them. It's sad to see how human intelligence and reasoning is so drastically lowered. Religion is a poison, it is. So, why are you still here? Why are you wasting time here? I'd like to know.


Because they genuinely believe they are superior to those who have a faith they don"t have, and they are going to show just how intelligent they believe they are. It"s their mission in life to prove that they are the greatest living thing there is, and are qualified to be their own gods and expect you to believe that horse dump. And when you reject it, they mock you all day long for not believing in them. When the truth is, it would be foolish to believe them and they expect you to be a fool.

Well, I wouldn't say we are more intelligent, but if our critical thinking and reasoning are better to say, people like you, I see no reason why not we are superior. It's not arrogance, but if the whole world were to have a dismissal of critical thinking which religion requires, we would still be in the dark ages. To question, to doubt, to find evidence is part of searching for truth, to live freely. However religion just destroys the whole of that, requiring you to believe outrageous stories ("horse dump") even though they go against your own logical reasoning.
distraff
Posts: 1,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 4:36:36 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/20/2016 10:45:14 AM, Jedd wrote:
As in, in this forum. I mean, being an atheist too, I've had my fair share of stupid, ignorant, invalid and rhetorical nonsensical arguments that is by theists. You know what I'm talking about. And also, things never change. No matter how futile their God-of-the-gaps argument, no matter how hard we clarify that morality does not belong to religion, no matter how hard we destroy their creationism claims, ignorance and plain contradictory to thousands and thousands of cold hard evidence is just not enough to convince them. It's sad to see how human intelligence and reasoning is so drastically lowered. Religion is a poison, it is. So, why are you still here? Why are you wasting time here? I'd like to know.

Because this is the one debate that I always win.
https://www.youtube.com...
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 6:42:52 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/20/2016 10:45:14 AM, Jedd wrote:
Religion is a poison, it is. So, why are you still here? Why are you wasting time here? I'd like to know.
In a modern society, religion is political parasitism, leeching time, labour and money, draining the economy and the public purse, manipulating governments and public policies, abusing children morally, intellectually and (at times) physically and sexually, breeding intolerance, suspicion and distrust, and fostering superstition, fear and confusion. But:
1) religion also fathered natural and moral philosophy, nationhood and law -- so its history is honourable even if its social legacies are not;
2) today's religious are as likely to be passive victims of systematic abuse as abusers themselves; and regardless,
3) nobody should be dismissed as citizens or people of conscience just because of their beliefs.

I do not believe it is in the interests of society or humanity to ignore the desire of the religious to discuss their beliefs, to challenge disbelief, to make sense of the historical changes affecting them, or to ask (because they're genuinely afraid) what a world of diminished faith might be like. So to the extent I can answer questions, challenge reasoning or methods, or contest assumptions about the quality of evidence, and the authority of unevidenced beliefs, I'm happy to do so.

But for myself, I'm personally interested in empiricism, epistemology, history, science, ethics and morality. Religion intersects these in interesting and often problematic ways. Sometimes you don't realise just how much you have to understand, explain, review and justify until you see how far from your ideas someone else is.

My main interest then isn't asking pointless questions about whether gods exist. I'm much more interested in asking people who they are, what they value, why they think that's good, what knowledge means to them, and how (if at all) they mean to be accountable for what they claim to know.
AWSM0055
Posts: 751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 6:55:48 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/20/2016 10:45:14 AM, Jedd wrote:
As in, in this forum. I mean, being an atheist too, I've had my fair share of stupid, ignorant, invalid and rhetorical nonsensical arguments that is by theists. You know what I'm talking about. And also, things never change. No matter how futile their God-of-the-gaps argument, no matter how hard we clarify that morality does not belong to religion, no matter how hard we destroy their creationism claims, ignorance and plain contradictory to thousands and thousands of cold hard evidence is just not enough to convince them. It's sad to see how human intelligence and reasoning is so drastically lowered. Religion is a poison, it is. So, why are you still here? Why are you wasting time here? I'd like to know.

To take destroy religion and f*** bitches.
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
Casten
Posts: 391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 7:15:04 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
I'm here to talk to people of different beliefs and learn something from them. I'm here to talk about my own beliefs, and engage in religious and philosophical discussion. I find religion interesting on a psychological and anthropological level.

I am not here to turn other people into atheists. I am not here to ridicule. I am not here to rage.

(Also I am here to engage in shameless tomfoolery. This forum needs to lighten up.)
A1tre
Posts: 223
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 9:01:53 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/20/2016 10:45:14 AM, Jedd wrote:
As in, in this forum. I mean, being an atheist too, I've had my fair share of stupid, ignorant, invalid and rhetorical nonsensical arguments that is by theists. You know what I'm talking about. And also, things never change. No matter how futile their God-of-the-gaps argument, no matter how hard we clarify that morality does not belong to religion, no matter how hard we destroy their creationism claims, ignorance and plain contradictory to thousands and thousands of cold hard evidence is just not enough to convince them. It's sad to see how human intelligence and reasoning is so drastically lowered. Religion is a poison, it is. So, why are you still here? Why are you wasting time here? I'd like to know.

Because there is a possibility I am wrong about atheism. Not a high one, but if I denied there was any chance of me being wrong that would make me a very stubborn-headed thinker, the very thing I am trying to fight in religious people.

Also I am interested in seeing how people with different opinions think. I feel even though I have spent a lot of time trying to understand Religion I have not yet found a convincing version of it, a version that at least might be true. If you are religious and reading this please write me a personal message, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts in a friendly open minded conversation.

I hope atheists and theists can stop being so hateful to each other. The important part is not finding someone who agrees with your opinion, but finding someone who is open minded to considering opinions they at first disagree with.
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 7:22:03 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/20/2016 9:51:26 PM, DPMartin wrote:
Because they genuinely believe they are superior to those who have a faith they don"t have

Define superior in this context, then perhaps you could share what experiences you have to support this generalization of all atheists.

It"s their mission in life to prove that they are the greatest living thing there is, and are qualified to be their own gods

Can you please explain how it is coherent to suggest that one who does not believe in a God also believes he is qualified to be his own?

...and expect you to believe that horse dump. And when you reject it, they mock you all day long for not believing in them. When the truth is, it would be foolish to believe them and they expect you to be a fool.

First of all, the "hoarse dump" you refer to is your own strawman of atheism (as evident by the fact that you will make no legitimate attempt to answer the above questions). Second, no one expects you to believe in us, we expect you to believe in your own ability to apply critical thinking, utilize it in the real world, and come to your own beliefs about what you think is true. But this is a process religion forbids, so it is no surprise to us when theists refuse to make such attempts.
Fly
Posts: 2,042
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 8:17:23 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/20/2016 10:45:14 AM, Jedd wrote:
As in, in this forum. I mean, being an atheist too, I've had my fair share of stupid, ignorant, invalid and rhetorical nonsensical arguments that is by theists. You know what I'm talking about. And also, things never change. No matter how futile their God-of-the-gaps argument, no matter how hard we clarify that morality does not belong to religion, no matter how hard we destroy their creationism claims, ignorance and plain contradictory to thousands and thousands of cold hard evidence is just not enough to convince them. It's sad to see how human intelligence and reasoning is so drastically lowered. Religion is a poison, it is. So, why are you still here? Why are you wasting time here? I'd like to know.

When I was drifting away from Christianity, I found myself much more curious about faiths other than Christianity. For example, I learned much more about Judaism as an atheist than I did as a Christian. Fundamentalist Christians learn about Judaism from other Christians, and they do NOT know what they are talking about! Also, I found atheists to be very educational to me when I was a Christian. So, I engage in religious discussions to learn and inform.

Sadly, there is not much learning to be had here. Rather, this forum comprises JW and Christian proselytizing, atheist baiting, and countless threads on the existence of God. I joke that DDO should be called "debatewhethergodexists.org". As it stands now, the misconceptions regarding atheism abound, and I like to clear those up where I can. The funniest thing about this forum is that the theists here appear to resent the presence of atheists AND solicit their participation in thread after thread at the same time!
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
Jedd
Posts: 77
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 11:16:12 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/21/2016 8:17:23 PM, Fly wrote:
At 2/20/2016 10:45:14 AM, Jedd wrote:
As in, in this forum. I mean, being an atheist too, I've had my fair share of stupid, ignorant, invalid and rhetorical nonsensical arguments that is by theists. You know what I'm talking about. And also, things never change. No matter how futile their God-of-the-gaps argument, no matter how hard we clarify that morality does not belong to religion, no matter how hard we destroy their creationism claims, ignorance and plain contradictory to thousands and thousands of cold hard evidence is just not enough to convince them. It's sad to see how human intelligence and reasoning is so drastically lowered. Religion is a poison, it is. So, why are you still here? Why are you wasting time here? I'd like to know.

When I was drifting away from Christianity, I found myself much more curious about faiths other than Christianity. For example, I learned much more about Judaism as an atheist than I did as a Christian. Fundamentalist Christians learn about Judaism from other Christians, and they do NOT know what they are talking about! Also, I found atheists to be very educational to me when I was a Christian. So, I engage in religious discussions to learn and inform.

Sadly, there is not much learning to be had here. Rather, this forum comprises JW and Christian proselytizing, atheist baiting, and countless threads on the existence of God. I joke that DDO should be called "debatewhethergodexists.org". As it stands now, the misconceptions regarding atheism abound, and I like to clear those up where I can. The funniest thing about this forum is that the theists here appear to resent the presence of atheists AND solicit their participation in thread after thread at the same time!

You made the right choice m8. Not really, but I just debate theists for fun. And that sig, oh, that sig, wow. That's one powerful message m8.
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 7:35:26 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 2/20/2016 10:45:14 AM, Jedd wrote:
As in, in this forum. I mean, being an atheist too, I've had my fair share of stupid, ignorant, invalid and rhetorical nonsensical arguments that is by theists. You know what I'm talking about. And also, things never change. No matter how futile their God-of-the-gaps argument, no matter how hard we clarify that morality does not belong to religion, no matter how hard we destroy their creationism claims, ignorance and plain contradictory to thousands and thousands of cold hard evidence is just not enough to convince them. It's sad to see how human intelligence and reasoning is so drastically lowered. Religion is a poison, it is. So, why are you still here? Why are you wasting time here? I'd like to know.

Their father sent them.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
missmedic
Posts: 384
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 7:49:02 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 2/20/2016 10:45:14 AM, Jedd wrote:
As in, in this forum. I mean, being an atheist too, I've had my fair share of stupid, ignorant, invalid and rhetorical nonsensical arguments that is by theists. You know what I'm talking about. And also, things never change. No matter how futile their God-of-the-gaps argument, no matter how hard we clarify that morality does not belong to religion, no matter how hard we destroy their creationism claims, ignorance and plain contradictory to thousands and thousands of cold hard evidence is just not enough to convince them. It's sad to see how human intelligence and reasoning is so drastically lowered. Religion is a poison, it is. So, why are you still here? Why are you wasting time here? I'd like to know.

To bring enlightenment...............
According to Immanuel Kant, enlightenment is when a person grows out of his self-imposed immaturity. He defines immaturity as one's inability to use his own understanding without the guidance of another. He says that people impose immaturity on themselves because they fear the use of their own understanding without someone else's help. Furthermore he adds that laziness and cowardice cause people to gladly remain immature for life. Because of these qualities, he says that others may easily establish themselves as the guardians or authorities on certain subjects. He gives the following examples of guardians, "a book to serve as my understanding, a pastor to serve as my conscience, a physician to determine my diet for me, and so on."1 He says that guardians will often warn you of dangers you could encounter should you attempt not to use their aid. They tell the people whom they guard that the step to maturity is very dangerous and difficult. He says that this frightens people from making attempts towards maturity.
Kant states that it is often difficult for people to emerge from immaturity. He says that people would often remain content in a state of immaturity. According to him, rules and formulas bind people to a state of immaturity. A person, he says, who would dare to defy the rules and formulas would only be taking a small step towards maturity because he is unaccustomed to this kind of free movement. Only a few people, according to Kant, have succeeded in emerging from immaturity. He says that such people have done so by cultivating their minds.
Kant says that the only thing required for enlightenment is freedom, namely the freedom to publicly use reason. By public use of reason he means, a scholar's use of reason before the entire literate world. He says that this public use of reason alone can bring about enlightenment among people. Private reason, he points out, may be narrowly restricted as long as it does not hinder the enlightening process.
Thus, freedom is essential for enlightenment. People must be able to express their thoughts. By spreading ideas and information, people will be able to be their own guardians because they will have all the things necessary to do so. By allowing freedom of thought, people will spread ideas which will urge others to think for themselves.