Jump to topic:

Uniformitarianism in religious texts

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 11:18:03 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
I have noticed many people claim -- especially with regards to the issue of same-sex marriage -- that the debate "comes down to whether God exists." For instance, when I have questioned people who are for strict legislation against same-sex marriage, they have responded with answers regarding God: "God exists, is against same-sex marriage, therefore same-sex marriage should be illegal." But I never did see the relevance of God to same-sex marriage legalization, despite the references in religious texts against same-sex marriage.

The question/issue I had was: How do you prove that God is against same-sex marriage? The religious text is merely an appeal to authority. Only following that did I realize the logic implied to justify that: since the religious text has a lot of truth in it, it follows that everything in the religious text is true. Essentially, what is being displayed is a form of "uniformitarianism" with regards to information in religious texts. I have noticed the same in debates about God's existence. Answers have frequently been: "The religious text was right about this and that, so isn't it right about this so?"

But it is a plain generalization. There is no uniformitarianism implied within a religious text. 90% of it being true does not imply 10% of it being true, and there's literally no justification for it.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass