Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

Humans are in God's image - yet gullible?

Jovian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 11:18:57 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
It's in the Christian traditionh (and the rest of the Abrahamic too I guess) that humans are made in God's perfect image. However, I see many people here talking about humans as needing a religion for behaving. I.e, a religion is the buffer against people just behaving exactly how they want. Because otherwise, humans will be free to listen to whomever in order to have a set of rules for behaviour, or they wouldn't even have moral at all. Wouldn't this imply that humans are by nature that much gullible and bad?

How can people first say humans are in God's image, but then change themselves and say humans are just utterly stupid people who are gullible creatures, likewise empty machines free for anyone to program?
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 11:27:07 AM
At 2/21/2016 11:18:57 AM, Jovian wrote:
It's in the Christian traditionh (and the rest of the Abrahamic too I guess) that humans are made in God's perfect image. However, I see many people here talking about humans as needing a religion for behaving. I.e, a religion is the buffer against people just behaving exactly how they want. Because otherwise, humans will be free to listen to whomever in order to have a set of rules for behaviour, or they wouldn't even have moral at all. Wouldn't this imply that humans are by nature that much gullible and bad?

How can people first say humans are in God's image, but then change themselves and say humans are just utterly stupid people who are gullible creatures, likewise empty machines free for anyone to program?

It is just another silly clich" some religious people come out with!
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 2:31:36 PM

Genesis expresses God's intent - to reproduce his perfect character - that process is underway, don't assume the text means it was done in an instant in the past.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 3:10:49 PM
At 2/21/2016 2:31:36 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:

Genesis expresses God's intent - to reproduce his perfect character - that process is underway, don't assume the text means it was done in an instant in the past.

Since God is an atheist, that would mean his intent was to create the perfect atheist, and that process is underway.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 3:49:06 PM

Genesis says that snakes talk.
Pass.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 6:07:32 PM
At 2/21/2016 3:49:06 PM, bulproof wrote:

Pass.

It says no such thing actually, perhaps you should check facts before you commit your beliefs to a public forum?

This is all too common - criticism and rejection based on what one's heard rather than what one's actually taken the time to objectively research for oneself.

If critics of the Bible applied the same objective techniques that they demand of their opponents when lecturing us all about atheism then we'd possibly have less squabbling.

First the Hebrew (yes Genesis wasn't originally penned in Olde English - funny that eh) term translated to "serpent" is "נָחָשׁ" - pronounced "nachash" - this does not denote "snake".

The the Bible uses euphemisms is clear if one explores it even a little (particularly in the original languages) for example: John 1:29

The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!

Insisting John was describing a literal lamb (which you are free to do) is an option here of course but not the only option.

Selecting the option that most enables you to discredit the text indicates a motive not to seek after truth but to promote one's own agenda.

Harry.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 6:25:09 PM
At 2/21/2016 6:07:32 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:

Pass.

It says no such thing actually, perhaps you should check facts before you commit your beliefs to a public forum?

This is all too common - criticism and rejection based on what one's heard rather than what one's actually taken the time to objectively research for oneself.

If critics of the Bible applied the same objective techniques that they demand of their opponents when lecturing us all about atheism then we'd possibly have less squabbling.

First the Hebrew (yes Genesis wasn't originally penned in Olde English - funny that eh) term translated to "serpent" is "נָחָשׁ" - pronounced "nachash" - this does not denote "snake".

The the Bible uses euphemisms is clear if one explores it even a little (particularly in the original languages) for example: John 1:29

Can we then conclude the Bible is NOT the word of God?

The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!

Insisting John was describing a literal lamb (which you are free to do) is an option here of course but not the only option.

Selecting the option that most enables you to discredit the text indicates a motive not to seek after truth but to promote one's own agenda.

Harry.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 6:44:28 PM
At 2/21/2016 6:25:09 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Pass.

Don't ask me, you decide for yourself.

Harry.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 6:46:18 PM

Genesis says a serpent can and did talk.
hahaha
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 7:11:23 PM
At 2/21/2016 6:44:28 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:
At 2/21/2016 6:25:09 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Pass.

Don't ask me, you decide for yourself.

You made the claim, so obviously, you should know.

Harry.