Jump to topic:

Atheists

AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 1:59:11 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
Fellow atheist brothers, if God was proven beyond a reasonable doubt to exist (I'm talking about a deistic God), would you be happy or unhappy about that? What do you think?
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 2:31:25 PM
At 2/21/2016 1:59:11 PM, AWSM0055 wrote:
If God was proven beyond a reasonable doubt to exist (I'm talking about a deistic God), would you be happy or unhappy about that? What do you think?

I'm perplexed by the question, Awsm...

How do you recognise that such a being:
1) is metaphysical and not simply physical in inexplicable ways;
2) actually created this universe, and is not simply capable of creating a universe;
3) is unique in the ability to create a universe;
4) is one being, and not many;
5) is the same being each time you encounter it, and not some other being with similar knowledge;
6) is honest, trustworthy and benign;
7) is precisely the being referenced in scripture;
8) is the only such being so referenced;
9) is more important than your own life and choices?

You see, I don't think God is valid even as a conjecture. It's too vague and meaningless to falsify, much less prove.

You could ask me how I felt about unicorns or pixies if they were proven to exist and I could answer, but I think the scriptural myth called God is actually less meaningful than things that are false, and ancient authors have hoodwinked themselves and the world into believing that something sufficiently meaningless is actually transcendental. :)
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 2:44:10 PM
Fellow atheist brothers, if God was proven beyond a reasonable doubt to exist (I'm talking about a deistic God), would you be happy or unhappy about that? What do you think?

If something "freaky" happened like the whole sky was a big face looking at us , and did not talk. I would wonder who's religions God was that. I would not be happy or unhappy. I would be scared.

If the big face covering the whole sky spoke . And made it clear what he or she is and what it wants , if they made it clear what religion it was , I would do what it says . And I would be scared. Then I would live out my life in that religion. And be happy that everyone is on the same page.

something freaky has to happen. Mega unnatural, And everyone has to see it. The proven part doesn't matter. Cause you can't explain something big like the face that covers the sky.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 3:33:59 PM
If a deistic god exists, why would I give a fat rat's arse? It has no meaning or effect.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 5:55:04 PM

The effect of a deistic God is indistinguishable from the effect of a God that does not exist, so I could care less.
ken1122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 6:33:53 PM

It depends on what type of God it is that exists. If God did exist, I doubt he would be anything close to the way people describe him.

Ken
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 6:44:05 PM

Would entirely depend on what the therefore true religion would be.

- What becomes morally okay?

- What is there to look forward to after death?
----- Is there more than one possible afterlife (i.e. hell vs heaven), and if so, what are the entrance requirements?
"Morals are simply a limit to man's potential."~Myself

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 7:11:59 PM

A few times in the past, when the "God must exist" type argument rears its head, I have asked the poster, "Ok. Let's assume this vaguely defined God exists. What now?"

I have never gotten a straight answer to that. Once the central argument is conceded-- baffled silence. The great thing about being an atheist is that we are usually able to take new information as it comes and not project our wants, needs, and beliefs onto reality.
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 7:17:56 PM

Whether or not a deistic god exists would have little effect on my life or the lives of humans in general. I see no reason to be happy or unhappy about it.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 9:12:14 PM
At 2/21/2016 2:31:25 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
If God was proven beyond a reasonable doubt to exist (I'm talking about a deistic God), would you be happy or unhappy about that? What do you think?

2) actually created this universe, and is not simply capable of creating a universe;
5) is the same being each time you encounter it, and not some other being with similar knowledge;

You see, I don't think God is valid even as a conjecture. It's too vague and meaningless to falsify, much less prove.

You could ask me how I felt about unicorns or pixies if they were proven to exist and I could answer, but I think the scriptural myth called God is actually less meaningful than things that are false, and ancient authors have hoodwinked themselves and the world into believing that something sufficiently meaningless is actually transcendental. :)
Dont be a sh!t. Just answer the question.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 9:24:04 PM
At 2/21/2016 9:12:14 PM, janesix wrote:
Just answer the question.

The question is invalid, Jane, because nobody could ever recognise the thing they called God, whatever they observed. If I accepted the premise of the question it would be legitimate to ask me how I'd know that what I saw was God, and not something else -- and I have no criteria or tests I could use, and nobody has ever supplied me any.

So it'd be dishonest to accept the premise. The most I could answer is how I'd feel if people believed they saw God.

It'd disturb me profoundly to see my society or my species turn insane.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 9:28:54 PM
At 2/21/2016 9:24:04 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 2/21/2016 9:12:14 PM, janesix wrote:
Just answer the question.

The question is invalid, Jane, because nobody could ever recognise the thing they called God, whatever they observed. If I accepted the premise of the question it would be legitimate to ask me how I'd know that what I saw was God, and not something else -- and I have no criteria or tests I could use, and nobody has ever supplied me any.

So it'd be dishonest to accept the premise. The most I could answer is how I'd feel if people believed they saw God.

It'd disturb me profoundly to see my society or my species turn insane.
Insane isnt always bad. Its where i get my most profound insights.