Total Posts:88|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Two kinds of Christians

janesix
Posts: 3,466
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2016 11:18:21 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
I've noticed two distinct types of Christians.

One is the "God is Love" type, who ignore and make excuses for the icky bits of the Bible, like Hell, slavery, and genocide.

Then there is the "Doom and Gloom" type, who dwell on the Revelation book of the Bible, and who can't wait for the world to end, so they can look down on those of us suffering eternal torment in Hell, and laugh at us.

Are there any other types of Christians that I missed?
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 12:57:23 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/22/2016 11:18:21 PM, janesix wrote:
I've noticed two distinct types of Christians.

One is the "God is Love" type, who ignore and make excuses for the icky bits of the Bible, like Hell, slavery, and genocide.

Then there is the "Doom and Gloom" type, who dwell on the Revelation book of the Bible, and who can't wait for the world to end, so they can look down on those of us suffering eternal torment in Hell, and laugh at us.

Are there any other types of Christians that I missed?

Yeah, the type that follow what Jesus taught and apply it. Those would be the "Christians". The two "types" you mentioned are personality types you don't like, doesn't have anything to do with what Jesus taught....which would be what a "Christian" is.
What you meant to say is..."Two kinds of personalities among Christians I don't like". But then I would disagree with that as well you just aimed only at what you find obnoxious. I'm a Christian and I've done neither of the two in our discussions, if I have point that out please... I'm only ever interested in your well being and that you have more clarity in your views of Christianity when you present your inquiries.

It also would appear you make the assumption that because of things you don't like in the OT that you link with Christianity that Christians cannot take the position that God is love. But if you understand what Jesus taught and what Christianity is then maybe you can understand why we say God is love. "God is love" is the primary core of Jesus' teachings and instruction as well as the epistles, for a Christian to deny God is love would be to deny it's very principles and teachings, which would make us non Christian....
janesix
Posts: 3,466
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 1:02:26 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 12:57:23 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 2/22/2016 11:18:21 PM, janesix wrote:
I've noticed two distinct types of Christians.

One is the "God is Love" type, who ignore and make excuses for the icky bits of the Bible, like Hell, slavery, and genocide.

Then there is the "Doom and Gloom" type, who dwell on the Revelation book of the Bible, and who can't wait for the world to end, so they can look down on those of us suffering eternal torment in Hell, and laugh at us.

Are there any other types of Christians that I missed?

Yeah, the type that follow what Jesus taught and apply it. Those would be the "Christians". The two "types" you mentioned are personality types you don't like, doesn't have anything to do with what Jesus taught....which would be what a "Christian" is.
What you meant to say is..."Two kinds of personalities among Christians I don't like". But then I would disagree with that as well you just aimed only at what you find obnoxious. I'm a Christian and I've done neither of the two in our discussions, if I have point that out please... I'm only ever interested in your well being and that you have more clarity in your views of Christianity when you present your inquiries.

It also would appear you make the assumption that because of things you don't like in the OT that you link with Christianity that Christians cannot take the position that God is love. But if you understand what Jesus taught and what Christianity is then maybe you can understand why we say God is love. "God is love" is the primary core of Jesus' teachings and instruction as well as the epistles, for a Christian to deny God is love would be to deny it's very principles and teachings, which would make us non Christian....

Ok, I can see you are among the "God is Love" type. Why do you ignore the icky bits in the Bible that PROVE God isn't love at all?
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 1:40:11 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 1:02:26 AM, janesix wrote:
At 2/23/2016 12:57:23 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 2/22/2016 11:18:21 PM, janesix wrote:
I've noticed two distinct types of Christians.

One is the "God is Love" type, who ignore and make excuses for the icky bits of the Bible, like Hell, slavery, and genocide.

Then there is the "Doom and Gloom" type, who dwell on the Revelation book of the Bible, and who can't wait for the world to end, so they can look down on those of us suffering eternal torment in Hell, and laugh at us.

Are there any other types of Christians that I missed?

Yeah, the type that follow what Jesus taught and apply it. Those would be the "Christians". The two "types" you mentioned are personality types you don't like, doesn't have anything to do with what Jesus taught....which would be what a "Christian" is.
What you meant to say is..."Two kinds of personalities among Christians I don't like". But then I would disagree with that as well you just aimed only at what you find obnoxious. I'm a Christian and I've done neither of the two in our discussions, if I have point that out please... I'm only ever interested in your well being and that you have more clarity in your views of Christianity when you present your inquiries.

It also would appear you make the assumption that because of things you don't like in the OT that you link with Christianity that Christians cannot take the position that God is love. But if you understand what Jesus taught and what Christianity is then maybe you can understand why we say God is love. "God is love" is the primary core of Jesus' teachings and instruction as well as the epistles, for a Christian to deny God is love would be to deny it's very principles and teachings, which would make us non Christian....

Ok, I can see you are among the "God is Love" type. Why do you ignore the icky bits in the Bible that PROVE God isn't love at all?

'Ignore" is not a relevant word. You missed some things before we can continue.
"What you meant to say is..."Two kinds of personalities among Christians I don't like" rather than just "two types of Christians", you mean personalities..
You didn't acknowledge that, you ignored it and went right back to your straw man.... before we move posts you must acknowledge what I said and if you agree with it or not.

My next problem was this...
" It also would appear you make the assumption that because of things you don't like in the OT that you link with Christianity that Christians cannot take the position that God is love. But if you understand what Jesus taught and what Christianity is then maybe you can understand why we say God is love. "God is love" is the primary core of Jesus' teachings and instruction as well as the epistles, for a Christian to deny God is love would be to deny it's very principles and teachings, which would make us non Christian....".

Is this something you disagree with?

You also didn't acknowledge the type of Christian I proposed as opposed to only your two, which was this...
" Yeah, the type that follow what Jesus taught and apply it. Those would be the "Christians". The two "types" you mentioned are personality types you don't like, doesn't have anything to do with what Jesus taught....which would be what a "Christian" is".

Do you disagree with the above?

You need to address those, that was the topic of the OP so lets not derail here. After you acknowledge those and understand them you will see why you are conflating two kinds of personalities you don't like with Christianity. Next, you're making the assumption that because of some things you don't like in the OT it means Christians can't take the position that God is love, but I already refuted that point with the paragraph above which was again this...
" "God is love" is the primary core of Jesus' teachings and instruction as well as the epistles, for a Christian to deny God is love would be to deny it's very principles and teachings, which would make us non Christian....".

Christianity is what Jesus taught, to deny what Jesus taught would be to deny being Christian...do you understand?
Just in case you didn't know Christians are not OT Jews, that's why there is Christianity lol. Just ask any orthodox Jew if he's a Christian.....
Harikrish
Posts: 11,010
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 10:38:41 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 12:57:23 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 2/22/2016 11:18:21 PM, janesix wrote:
I've noticed two distinct types of Christians.

One is the "God is Love" type, who ignore and make excuses for the icky bits of the Bible, like Hell, slavery, and genocide.

Then there is the "Doom and Gloom" type, who dwell on the Revelation book of the Bible, and who can't wait for the world to end, so they can look down on those of us suffering eternal torment in Hell, and laugh at us.

Are there any other types of Christians that I missed?

Yeah, the type that follow what Jesus taught and apply it. Those would be the "Christians". The two "types" you mentioned are personality types you don't like, doesn't have anything to do with what Jesus taught....which would be what a "Christian" is.
What you meant to say is..."Two kinds of personalities among Christians I don't like". But then I would disagree with that as well you just aimed only at what you find obnoxious. I'm a Christian and I've done neither of the two in our discussions, if I have point that out please... I'm only ever interested in your well being and that you have more clarity in your views of Christianity when you present your inquiries.

It also would appear you make the assumption that because of things you don't like in the OT that you link with Christianity that Christians cannot take the position that God is love. But if you understand what Jesus taught and what Christianity is then maybe you can understand why we say God is love. "God is love" is the primary core of Jesus' teachings and instruction as well as the epistles, for a Christian to deny God is love would be to deny it's very principles and teachings, which would make us non Christian....

Jesus did not come to spread love.
In his own words what he came to spread.
Matthew 10:34 "Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.

35 For I have come to set a man against his father,
and a daughter against her mother,
and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law;
36 and one"s foes will be members of one"s own household.
37 Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; 38 and whoever does not take up the cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Those who find their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it.

Jesus came to destroy the traditional family. And he did it with a threat.
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 10:48:22 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 10:38:41 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 2/23/2016 12:57:23 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 2/22/2016 11:18:21 PM, janesix wrote:
I've noticed two distinct types of Christians.

One is the "God is Love" type, who ignore and make excuses for the icky bits of the Bible, like Hell, slavery, and genocide.

Then there is the "Doom and Gloom" type, who dwell on the Revelation book of the Bible, and who can't wait for the world to end, so they can look down on those of us suffering eternal torment in Hell, and laugh at us.

Are there any other types of Christians that I missed?

Yeah, the type that follow what Jesus taught and apply it. Those would be the "Christians". The two "types" you mentioned are personality types you don't like, doesn't have anything to do with what Jesus taught....which would be what a "Christian" is.
What you meant to say is..."Two kinds of personalities among Christians I don't like". But then I would disagree with that as well you just aimed only at what you find obnoxious. I'm a Christian and I've done neither of the two in our discussions, if I have point that out please... I'm only ever interested in your well being and that you have more clarity in your views of Christianity when you present your inquiries.

It also would appear you make the assumption that because of things you don't like in the OT that you link with Christianity that Christians cannot take the position that God is love. But if you understand what Jesus taught and what Christianity is then maybe you can understand why we say God is love. "God is love" is the primary core of Jesus' teachings and instruction as well as the epistles, for a Christian to deny God is love would be to deny it's very principles and teachings, which would make us non Christian....

Jesus did not come to spread love.
In his own words what he came to spread.
Matthew 10:34 "Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.

35 For I have come to set a man against his father,
and a daughter against her mother,
and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law;
36 and one"s foes will be members of one"s own household.
37 Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; 38 and whoever does not take up the cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Those who find their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it.

Jesus came to destroy the traditional family. And he did it with a threat.

Lol, that is called a misrepresentation and cherry picking from scripture out of a hay stack. It has already been explained to you that this is a principle of breaking down and rebuilding. To take something that is firmly established through the material and breaking it apart to establish the spiritual.
You zero in on an illustration and ignore the teachings, the teachings support the illustrations, you have it backwards. This was already explained to you, you don't understand the principle of priority so you don't get the illustration and point Jesus was making... that God and spirituality come before anything else.... in the end, it will be God who you answer to, not your family but because you ignore the main teachings and instructions of Jesus you missed the illustration.
DPMartin
Posts: 1,096
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 10:53:01 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 1:02:26 AM, janesix wrote:
At 2/23/2016 12:57:23 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 2/22/2016 11:18:21 PM, janesix wrote:
I've noticed two distinct types of Christians.

One is the "God is Love" type, who ignore and make excuses for the icky bits of the Bible, like Hell, slavery, and genocide.

Then there is the "Doom and Gloom" type, who dwell on the Revelation book of the Bible, and who can't wait for the world to end, so they can look down on those of us suffering eternal torment in Hell, and laugh at us.

Are there any other types of Christians that I missed?

Yeah, the type that follow what Jesus taught and apply it. Those would be the "Christians". The two "types" you mentioned are personality types you don't like, doesn't have anything to do with what Jesus taught....which would be what a "Christian" is.
What you meant to say is..."Two kinds of personalities among Christians I don't like". But then I would disagree with that as well you just aimed only at what you find obnoxious. I'm a Christian and I've done neither of the two in our discussions, if I have point that out please... I'm only ever interested in your well being and that you have more clarity in your views of Christianity when you present your inquiries.

It also would appear you make the assumption that because of things you don't like in the OT that you link with Christianity that Christians cannot take the position that God is love. But if you understand what Jesus taught and what Christianity is then maybe you can understand why we say God is love. "God is love" is the primary core of Jesus' teachings and instruction as well as the epistles, for a Christian to deny God is love would be to deny it's very principles and teachings, which would make us non Christian....

Ok, I can see you are among the "God is Love" type. Why do you ignore the icky bits in the Bible that PROVE God isn't love at all?

Well see, your problem is, that God is love therefore not what you think love ought to be in your own judgement. God is love and He is also a Jealous God therefore betray His Faithfulness long enough it won"t go well for you. Or if you like the genocide part of God then He would wipe out all the rest of the world to save one of His, and care for one of His. So if you are not one of His then.............

Mercy is granted where He sees fit, not where someone believes they are entitled in accordance to their own judgement.
janesix
Posts: 3,466
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 10:55:20 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 10:53:01 PM, DPMartin wrote:
At 2/23/2016 1:02:26 AM, janesix wrote:
At 2/23/2016 12:57:23 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 2/22/2016 11:18:21 PM, janesix wrote:
I've noticed two distinct types of Christians.

One is the "God is Love" type, who ignore and make excuses for the icky bits of the Bible, like Hell, slavery, and genocide.

Then there is the "Doom and Gloom" type, who dwell on the Revelation book of the Bible, and who can't wait for the world to end, so they can look down on those of us suffering eternal torment in Hell, and laugh at us.

Are there any other types of Christians that I missed?

Yeah, the type that follow what Jesus taught and apply it. Those would be the "Christians". The two "types" you mentioned are personality types you don't like, doesn't have anything to do with what Jesus taught....which would be what a "Christian" is.
What you meant to say is..."Two kinds of personalities among Christians I don't like". But then I would disagree with that as well you just aimed only at what you find obnoxious. I'm a Christian and I've done neither of the two in our discussions, if I have point that out please... I'm only ever interested in your well being and that you have more clarity in your views of Christianity when you present your inquiries.

It also would appear you make the assumption that because of things you don't like in the OT that you link with Christianity that Christians cannot take the position that God is love. But if you understand what Jesus taught and what Christianity is then maybe you can understand why we say God is love. "God is love" is the primary core of Jesus' teachings and instruction as well as the epistles, for a Christian to deny God is love would be to deny it's very principles and teachings, which would make us non Christian....

Ok, I can see you are among the "God is Love" type. Why do you ignore the icky bits in the Bible that PROVE God isn't love at all?

Well see, your problem is, that God is love therefore not what you think love ought to be in your own judgement. God is love and He is also a Jealous God therefore betray His Faithfulness long enough it won"t go well for you. Or if you like the genocide part of God then He would wipe out all the rest of the world to save one of His, and care for one of His. So if you are not one of His then.............


Mercy is granted where He sees fit, not where someone believes they are entitled in accordance to their own judgement.

I know exactly what love is, and your God of the Bible sure doesn't show it.
Stegley
Posts: 158
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 11:08:35 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/22/2016 11:18:21 PM, janesix wrote:
I've noticed two distinct types of Christians.

One is the "God is Love" type, who ignore and make excuses for the icky bits of the Bible, like Hell, slavery, and genocide.

Then there is the "Doom and Gloom" type, who dwell on the Revelation book of the Bible, and who can't wait for the world to end, so they can look down on those of us suffering eternal torment in Hell, and laugh at us.

Are there any other types of Christians that I missed?

Yes. You have never met the Real Kind of Christian who has large kiskets, who is not feminized by today's Psychobabble Church.
janesix
Posts: 3,466
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 11:10:46 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 11:08:35 PM, Stegley wrote:
At 2/22/2016 11:18:21 PM, janesix wrote:
I've noticed two distinct types of Christians.

One is the "God is Love" type, who ignore and make excuses for the icky bits of the Bible, like Hell, slavery, and genocide.

Then there is the "Doom and Gloom" type, who dwell on the Revelation book of the Bible, and who can't wait for the world to end, so they can look down on those of us suffering eternal torment in Hell, and laugh at us.

Are there any other types of Christians that I missed?

Yes. You have never met the Real Kind of Christian who has large kiskets, who is not feminized by today's Psychobabble Church.

That must be the real 1% of Christians, I'm assuming.
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 11:18:49 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/22/2016 11:18:21 PM, janesix wrote:
I've noticed two distinct types of Christians.
One is the "God is Love" type, who ignore and make excuses for the icky bits of the Bible, like Hell, slavery, and genocide.
Then there is the "Doom and Gloom" type, who dwell on the Revelation book of the Bible, and who can't wait for the world to end, so they can look down on those of us suffering eternal torment in Hell, and laugh at us.
Are there any other types of Christians that I missed?

Well, with 2.18 billion Christians spread across four continents, they might deserve more than just two categories, Jane. :) But categories are shaped by how we mean to use them, and I understand why both punitive agitators and evangelical apologists tend to stand out among nontheists: the one group because they're intolerant, fear-ridden and belligerent; the other because they're intrusive, dishonest and manipulative. Those being among the most problematic people for non-Christians to deal with, we tend to remember them, while those who aren't problematic may not be noticed in their faith at all.

But consider for example, the kind of Christian who believes their religion private, who considers select Biblical stories inspirational, who admits knowing little about metaphysics or the operation of the universe and won't prescribe traditions and beliefs for others, but will oppose needless harm, who seeks to live by example a life of kindness, tolerance, honesty, generosity and respect for humanity rather than preaching dogma, and who is more likely to sacrifice their comfort for another than ask you to sacrifice for their prejudices.

Can you find anything objectionable about that?

I personally cannot. I've met people like that. Perhaps they're rare -- but perhaps too, truly decent, good-hearted people are rare in any group. And while I might argue doctrine or philosophy with such Christians, why should I do so? If I don't object to the behaviour, why should I oppose the underpinning ideas?
Harikrish
Posts: 11,010
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 12:18:05 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 10:48:22 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 2/23/2016 10:38:41 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 2/23/2016 12:57:23 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 2/22/2016 11:18:21 PM, janesix wrote:
I've noticed two distinct types of Christians.

One is the "God is Love" type, who ignore and make excuses for the icky bits of the Bible, like Hell, slavery, and genocide.

Then there is the "Doom and Gloom" type, who dwell on the Revelation book of the Bible, and who can't wait for the world to end, so they can look down on those of us suffering eternal torment in Hell, and laugh at us.

Are there any other types of Christians that I missed?

Yeah, the type that follow what Jesus taught and apply it. Those would be the "Christians". The two "types" you mentioned are personality types you don't like, doesn't have anything to do with what Jesus taught....which would be what a "Christian" is.
What you meant to say is..."Two kinds of personalities among Christians I don't like". But then I would disagree with that as well you just aimed only at what you find obnoxious. I'm a Christian and I've done neither of the two in our discussions, if I have point that out please... I'm only ever interested in your well being and that you have more clarity in your views of Christianity when you present your inquiries.

It also would appear you make the assumption that because of things you don't like in the OT that you link with Christianity that Christians cannot take the position that God is love. But if you understand what Jesus taught and what Christianity is then maybe you can understand why we say God is love. "God is love" is the primary core of Jesus' teachings and instruction as well as the epistles, for a Christian to deny God is love would be to deny it's very principles and teachings, which would make us non Christian....

Jesus did not come to spread love.
In his own words what he came to spread.
Matthew 10:34 "Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.

35 For I have come to set a man against his father,
and a daughter against her mother,
and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law;
36 and one"s foes will be members of one"s own household.
37 Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; 38 and whoever does not take up the cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Those who find their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it.

Jesus came to destroy the traditional family. And he did it with a threat.

Lol, that is called a misrepresentation and cherry picking from scripture out of a hay stack. It has already been explained to you that this is a principle of breaking down and rebuilding. To take something that is firmly established through the material and breaking it apart to establish the spiritual.
You zero in on an illustration and ignore the teachings, the teachings support the illustrations, you have it backwards. This was already explained to you, you don't understand the principle of priority so you don't get the illustration and point Jesus was making... that God and spirituality come before anything else.... in the end, it will be God who you answer to, not your family but because you ignore the main teachings and instructions of Jesus you missed the illustration.

What do you not get in the verses? Jesus tells them why he had come(34). What he had come to do (35,36) and why he was going to destroy the traditional family (37,38) and what was his threat (39).
Any wonder why they crucified him when they got the chance. It was for love of family that Jesus had to go.

Matthew 10:34 "Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.
35 For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother,
and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law;
36 and one"s foes will be members of one"s own household.
37 Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; 38 and whoever does not take up the cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Those who find their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it.
bulproof
Posts: 25,250
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 7:36:41 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 10:53:01 PM, DPMartin wrote:
At 2/23/2016 1:02:26 AM, janesix wrote:
At 2/23/2016 12:57:23 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 2/22/2016 11:18:21 PM, janesix wrote:
I've noticed two distinct types of Christians.

One is the "God is Love" type, who ignore and make excuses for the icky bits of the Bible, like Hell, slavery, and genocide.

Then there is the "Doom and Gloom" type, who dwell on the Revelation book of the Bible, and who can't wait for the world to end, so they can look down on those of us suffering eternal torment in Hell, and laugh at us.

Are there any other types of Christians that I missed?

Yeah, the type that follow what Jesus taught and apply it. Those would be the "Christians". The two "types" you mentioned are personality types you don't like, doesn't have anything to do with what Jesus taught....which would be what a "Christian" is.
What you meant to say is..."Two kinds of personalities among Christians I don't like". But then I would disagree with that as well you just aimed only at what you find obnoxious. I'm a Christian and I've done neither of the two in our discussions, if I have point that out please... I'm only ever interested in your well being and that you have more clarity in your views of Christianity when you present your inquiries.

It also would appear you make the assumption that because of things you don't like in the OT that you link with Christianity that Christians cannot take the position that God is love. But if you understand what Jesus taught and what Christianity is then maybe you can understand why we say God is love. "God is love" is the primary core of Jesus' teachings and instruction as well as the epistles, for a Christian to deny God is love would be to deny it's very principles and teachings, which would make us non Christian....

Ok, I can see you are among the "God is Love" type. Why do you ignore the icky bits in the Bible that PROVE God isn't love at all?

Well see, your problem is, that God is love therefore not what you think love ought to be in your own judgement. God is love and He is also a Jealous God therefore betray His Faithfulness long enough it won"t go well for you. Or if you like the genocide part of God then He would wipe out all the rest of the world to save one of His, and care for one of His. So if you are not one of His then.............


Mercy is granted where He sees fit, not where someone believes they are entitled in accordance to their own judgement.
Were you born lacking a capacity for cognitive dissonance or is a part of the indoctrination designed to eliminate it?
Your silly portrayal cannot be love and be jealous, but hey look what superman can do.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
rnjs
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 1:48:00 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/22/2016 11:18:21 PM, janesix wrote:
I've noticed two distinct types of Christians.

One is the "God is Love" type, who ignore and make excuses for the icky bits of the Bible, like Hell, slavery, and genocide.

Then there is the "Doom and Gloom" type, who dwell on the Revelation book of the Bible, and who can't wait for the world to end, so they can look down on those of us suffering eternal torment in Hell, and laugh at us.

Are there any other types of Christians that I missed?

There are those who believe in the God of the Bible who is both a loving God and a God of justice.
bulproof
Posts: 25,250
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 1:42:21 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/24/2016 1:48:00 PM, rnjs wrote:
At 2/22/2016 11:18:21 PM, janesix wrote:
I've noticed two distinct types of Christians.

One is the "God is Love" type, who ignore and make excuses for the icky bits of the Bible, like Hell, slavery, and genocide.

Then there is the "Doom and Gloom" type, who dwell on the Revelation book of the Bible, and who can't wait for the world to end, so they can look down on those of us suffering eternal torment in Hell, and laugh at us.

Are there any other types of Christians that I missed?

There are those who believe in the God of the Bible who is both a loving God and a God of justice.
They couldn't have read the bible then.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Outplayz
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 4:33:55 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/22/2016 11:18:21 PM, janesix wrote:
I've noticed two distinct types of Christians.

One is the "God is Love" type, who ignore and make excuses for the icky bits of the Bible, like Hell, slavery, and genocide.

Then there is the "Doom and Gloom" type, who dwell on the Revelation book of the Bible, and who can't wait for the world to end, so they can look down on those of us suffering eternal torment in Hell, and laugh at us.

Are there any other types of Christians that I missed?

You are missing many... especially my favorite:

https://www.youtube.com...

They are a Christian band... no joke. They are hell'a good.
annanicole
Posts: 19,787
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 7:33:37 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 10:38:41 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 2/23/2016 12:57:23 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 2/22/2016 11:18:21 PM, janesix wrote:
I've noticed two distinct types of Christians.

One is the "God is Love" type, who ignore and make excuses for the icky bits of the Bible, like Hell, slavery, and genocide.

Then there is the "Doom and Gloom" type, who dwell on the Revelation book of the Bible, and who can't wait for the world to end, so they can look down on those of us suffering eternal torment in Hell, and laugh at us.

Are there any other types of Christians that I missed?

Yeah, the type that follow what Jesus taught and apply it. Those would be the "Christians". The two "types" you mentioned are personality types you don't like, doesn't have anything to do with what Jesus taught....which would be what a "Christian" is.
What you meant to say is..."Two kinds of personalities among Christians I don't like". But then I would disagree with that as well you just aimed only at what you find obnoxious. I'm a Christian and I've done neither of the two in our discussions, if I have point that out please... I'm only ever interested in your well being and that you have more clarity in your views of Christianity when you present your inquiries.

It also would appear you make the assumption that because of things you don't like in the OT that you link with Christianity that Christians cannot take the position that God is love. But if you understand what Jesus taught and what Christianity is then maybe you can understand why we say God is love. "God is love" is the primary core of Jesus' teachings and instruction as well as the epistles, for a Christian to deny God is love would be to deny it's very principles and teachings, which would make us non Christian....

Jesus did not come to spread love.
In his own words what he came to spread.
Matthew 10:34 "Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.

Peace and love are not synonyms.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
AWSM0055
Posts: 751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 7:46:52 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/22/2016 11:18:21 PM, janesix wrote:
I've noticed two distinct types of Christians.

One is the "God is Love" type, who ignore and make excuses for the icky bits of the Bible, like Hell, slavery, and genocide.

Then there is the "Doom and Gloom" type, who dwell on the Revelation book of the Bible, and who can't wait for the world to end, so they can look down on those of us suffering eternal torment in Hell, and laugh at us.

Are there any other types of Christians that I missed?

Creationists...the really stupid types...
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
Harikrish
Posts: 11,010
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 1:59:51 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/25/2016 7:33:37 AM, annanicole wrote:
At 2/23/2016 10:38:41 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 2/23/2016 12:57:23 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 2/22/2016 11:18:21 PM, janesix wrote:
I've noticed two distinct types of Christians.

One is the "God is Love" type, who ignore and make excuses for the icky bits of the Bible, like Hell, slavery, and genocide.

Then there is the "Doom and Gloom" type, who dwell on the Revelation book of the Bible, and who can't wait for the world to end, so they can look down on those of us suffering eternal torment in Hell, and laugh at us.

Are there any other types of Christians that I missed?

Yeah, the type that follow what Jesus taught and apply it. Those would be the "Christians". The two "types" you mentioned are personality types you don't like, doesn't have anything to do with what Jesus taught....which would be what a "Christian" is.
What you meant to say is..."Two kinds of personalities among Christians I don't like". But then I would disagree with that as well you just aimed only at what you find obnoxious. I'm a Christian and I've done neither of the two in our discussions, if I have point that out please... I'm only ever interested in your well being and that you have more clarity in your views of Christianity when you present your inquiries.

It also would appear you make the assumption that because of things you don't like in the OT that you link with Christianity that Christians cannot take the position that God is love. But if you understand what Jesus taught and what Christianity is then maybe you can understand why we say God is love. "God is love" is the primary core of Jesus' teachings and instruction as well as the epistles, for a Christian to deny God is love would be to deny it's very principles and teachings, which would make us non Christian....

Jesus did not come to spread love.
In his own words what he came to spread.
Matthew 10:34 "Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.

Peace and love are not synonyms.

Slut and Saint are not synonymous either.

Jesus did not come to spread love, he came to teach hate for the traditional family.
What do you not get in the verses? Jesus tells them why he had come(34). What he had come to do (35,36) and why he was going to destroy the traditional family (37,38) and what was his threat (39).
Any wonder why they crucified him when they got the chance. It was for love of family that Jesus had to go.

Matthew 10:34 "Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.
35 For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother,
and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law;
36 and one"s foes will be members of one"s own household.
37 Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; 38 and whoever does not take up the cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Those who find their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it.
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 2:19:00 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/25/2016 1:59:51 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 2/25/2016 7:33:37 AM, annanicole wrote:
At 2/23/2016 10:38:41 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 2/23/2016 12:57:23 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 2/22/2016 11:18:21 PM, janesix wrote:
I've noticed two distinct types of Christians.

One is the "God is Love" type, who ignore and make excuses for the icky bits of the Bible, like Hell, slavery, and genocide.

Then there is the "Doom and Gloom" type, who dwell on the Revelation book of the Bible, and who can't wait for the world to end, so they can look down on those of us suffering eternal torment in Hell, and laugh at us.

Are there any other types of Christians that I missed?

Yeah, the type that follow what Jesus taught and apply it. Those would be the "Christians". The two "types" you mentioned are personality types you don't like, doesn't have anything to do with what Jesus taught....which would be what a "Christian" is.
What you meant to say is..."Two kinds of personalities among Christians I don't like". But then I would disagree with that as well you just aimed only at what you find obnoxious. I'm a Christian and I've done neither of the two in our discussions, if I have point that out please... I'm only ever interested in your well being and that you have more clarity in your views of Christianity when you present your inquiries.

It also would appear you make the assumption that because of things you don't like in the OT that you link with Christianity that Christians cannot take the position that God is love. But if you understand what Jesus taught and what Christianity is then maybe you can understand why we say God is love. "God is love" is the primary core of Jesus' teachings and instruction as well as the epistles, for a Christian to deny God is love would be to deny it's very principles and teachings, which would make us non Christian....

Jesus did not come to spread love.
In his own words what he came to spread.
Matthew 10:34 "Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.

Peace and love are not synonyms.

Slut and Saint are not synonymous either.

Jesus did not come to spread love, he came to teach hate for the traditional family.
What do you not get in the verses? Jesus tells them why he had come(34). What he had come to do (35,36) and why he was going to destroy the traditional family (37,38) and what was his threat (39).
Any wonder why they crucified him when they got the chance. It was for love of family that Jesus had to go.

Matthew 10:34 "Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.
35 For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother,
and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law;
36 and one"s foes will be members of one"s own household.
37 Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; 38 and whoever does not take up the cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Those who find their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it.

LOL, look at what Harold's "scholarship" has produced, among many of his ignorant interpretations he also believes Jesus eats people. He doesn't understand what an illustration is, and because of his ignorance he confuses illustrations with commands and teachings. He has no idea what a parable is or figurative speech to create imagery. He doesn't know what concludes and what begins it, so he cherry picks and then ends with false conclusions.

But what Hari are we talking to here?? the Hari that's the "Christian David", the Muslim Hari or the snobby Hindu? Obviously the perverted misogynist is still there but....
rnjs
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 2:25:42 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/25/2016 1:42:21 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/24/2016 1:48:00 PM, rnjs wrote:
At 2/22/2016 11:18:21 PM, janesix wrote:
I've noticed two distinct types of Christians.

One is the "God is Love" type, who ignore and make excuses for the icky bits of the Bible, like Hell, slavery, and genocide.

Then there is the "Doom and Gloom" type, who dwell on the Revelation book of the Bible, and who can't wait for the world to end, so they can look down on those of us suffering eternal torment in Hell, and laugh at us.

Are there any other types of Christians that I missed?

There are those who believe in the God of the Bible who is both a loving God and a God of justice.
They couldn't have read the bible then.

i have read it so please expand on your comment.
rnjs
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 2:27:56 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/25/2016 7:46:52 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:
At 2/22/2016 11:18:21 PM, janesix wrote:
I've noticed two distinct types of Christians.

One is the "God is Love" type, who ignore and make excuses for the icky bits of the Bible, like Hell, slavery, and genocide.

Then there is the "Doom and Gloom" type, who dwell on the Revelation book of the Bible, and who can't wait for the world to end, so they can look down on those of us suffering eternal torment in Hell, and laugh at us.

Are there any other types of Christians that I missed?

Creationists...the really stupid types...

what about the really intelligent types
AWSM0055
Posts: 751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 2:43:58 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/25/2016 2:27:56 PM, rnjs wrote:
At 2/25/2016 7:46:52 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:
At 2/22/2016 11:18:21 PM, janesix wrote:
I've noticed two distinct types of Christians.

One is the "God is Love" type, who ignore and make excuses for the icky bits of the Bible, like Hell, slavery, and genocide.

Then there is the "Doom and Gloom" type, who dwell on the Revelation book of the Bible, and who can't wait for the world to end, so they can look down on those of us suffering eternal torment in Hell, and laugh at us.

Are there any other types of Christians that I missed?

Creationists...the really stupid types...

what about the really intelligent types

No such thing. That's like saying "what if you could sh*t rainbows", and everyone looks at you like "you need a psychiatric ward".
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
Harikrish
Posts: 11,010
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 2:59:21 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/25/2016 2:19:00 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 2/25/2016 1:59:51 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 2/25/2016 7:33:37 AM, annanicole wrote:
At 2/23/2016 10:38:41 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 2/23/2016 12:57:23 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 2/22/2016 11:18:21 PM, janesix wrote:
I've noticed two distinct types of Christians.

One is the "God is Love" type, who ignore and make excuses for the icky bits of the Bible, like Hell, slavery, and genocide.

Then there is the "Doom and Gloom" type, who dwell on the Revelation book of the Bible, and who can't wait for the world to end, so they can look down on those of us suffering eternal torment in Hell, and laugh at us.

Are there any other types of Christians that I missed?

Yeah, the type that follow what Jesus taught and apply it. Those would be the "Christians". The two "types" you mentioned are personality types you don't like, doesn't have anything to do with what Jesus taught....which would be what a "Christian" is.
What you meant to say is..."Two kinds of personalities among Christians I don't like". But then I would disagree with that as well you just aimed only at what you find obnoxious. I'm a Christian and I've done neither of the two in our discussions, if I have point that out please... I'm only ever interested in your well being and that you have more clarity in your views of Christianity when you present your inquiries.

It also would appear you make the assumption that because of things you don't like in the OT that you link with Christianity that Christians cannot take the position that God is love. But if you understand what Jesus taught and what Christianity is then maybe you can understand why we say God is love. "God is love" is the primary core of Jesus' teachings and instruction as well as the epistles, for a Christian to deny God is love would be to deny it's very principles and teachings, which would make us non Christian....

Jesus did not come to spread love.
In his own words what he came to spread.
Matthew 10:34 "Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.

Peace and love are not synonyms.

Slut and Saint are not synonymous either.

Jesus did not come to spread love, he came to teach hate for the traditional family.
What do you not get in the verses? Jesus tells them why he had come(34). What he had come to do (35,36) and why he was going to destroy the traditional family (37,38) and what was his threat (39).
Any wonder why they crucified him when they got the chance. It was for love of family that Jesus had to go.

Matthew 10:34 "Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.
35 For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother,
and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law;
36 and one"s foes will be members of one"s own household.
37 Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; 38 and whoever does not take up the cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Those who find their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it.

LOL, look at what Harold's "scholarship" has produced, among many of his ignorant interpretations he also believes Jesus eats people. He doesn't understand what an illustration is, and because of his ignorance he confuses illustrations with commands and teachings. He has no idea what a parable is or figurative speech to create imagery. He doesn't know what concludes and what begins it, so he cherry picks and then ends with false conclusions.

But what Hari are we talking to here?? the Hari that's the "Christian David", the Muslim Hari or the snobby Hindu? Obviously the perverted misogynist is still there but....

Suffice to said whatever nonsense Jesus was spewing out got him killed. He said a time would come when he would no longer speak figuratively. But that time has passed. He was put to death while he was still very incoherent.
John 16:25
"Though I have been speaking figuratively, a time is coming when I will no longer use this kind of language but will tell you plainly about my Father.

It is now left to the biblical scholars to separate Jesus from his blasphemous lies and lunacy and show just how wrong and deluded he was. And it starts with why the very Jews he was sent to save as their messiah rejected him and continue to do so 2000 years after they crucified him.
rnjs
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 3:18:17 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/25/2016 2:43:58 PM, AWSM0055 wrote:
At 2/25/2016 2:27:56 PM, rnjs wrote:
At 2/25/2016 7:46:52 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:
At 2/22/2016 11:18:21 PM, janesix wrote:
I've noticed two distinct types of Christians.

One is the "God is Love" type, who ignore and make excuses for the icky bits of the Bible, like Hell, slavery, and genocide.

Then there is the "Doom and Gloom" type, who dwell on the Revelation book of the Bible, and who can't wait for the world to end, so they can look down on those of us suffering eternal torment in Hell, and laugh at us.

Are there any other types of Christians that I missed?

Creationists...the really stupid types...

what about the really intelligent types

No such thing. That's like saying "what if you could sh*t rainbows", and everyone looks at you like "you need a psychiatric ward".

So you would take away their PHDs and other credentials because you believe they need psychiatric help. And then there are those who were once atheistic but then convert to Christianity, do they automatically become stupid.
annanicole
Posts: 19,787
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 4:00:07 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/25/2016 1:59:51 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 2/25/2016 7:33:37 AM, annanicole wrote:
At 2/23/2016 10:38:41 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 2/23/2016 12:57:23 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 2/22/2016 11:18:21 PM, janesix wrote:
I've noticed two distinct types of Christians.

One is the "God is Love" type, who ignore and make excuses for the icky bits of the Bible, like Hell, slavery, and genocide.

Then there is the "Doom and Gloom" type, who dwell on the Revelation book of the Bible, and who can't wait for the world to end, so they can look down on those of us suffering eternal torment in Hell, and laugh at us.

Are there any other types of Christians that I missed?

Yeah, the type that follow what Jesus taught and apply it. Those would be the "Christians". The two "types" you mentioned are personality types you don't like, doesn't have anything to do with what Jesus taught....which would be what a "Christian" is.
What you meant to say is..."Two kinds of personalities among Christians I don't like". But then I would disagree with that as well you just aimed only at what you find obnoxious. I'm a Christian and I've done neither of the two in our discussions, if I have point that out please... I'm only ever interested in your well being and that you have more clarity in your views of Christianity when you present your inquiries.

It also would appear you make the assumption that because of things you don't like in the OT that you link with Christianity that Christians cannot take the position that God is love. But if you understand what Jesus taught and what Christianity is then maybe you can understand why we say God is love. "God is love" is the primary core of Jesus' teachings and instruction as well as the epistles, for a Christian to deny God is love would be to deny it's very principles and teachings, which would make us non Christian....

Jesus did not come to spread love.
In his own words what he came to spread.
Matthew 10:34 "Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.

Peace and love are not synonyms.

Slut and Saint are not synonymous either.

So? Peace and love are not synonyms. You can ramble endlessly, but they still aren't.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
AWSM0055
Posts: 751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 5:11:43 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/25/2016 3:18:17 PM, rnjs wrote:
At 2/25/2016 2:43:58 PM, AWSM0055 wrote:
At 2/25/2016 2:27:56 PM, rnjs wrote:
At 2/25/2016 7:46:52 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:
At 2/22/2016 11:18:21 PM, janesix wrote:
I've noticed two distinct types of Christians.

One is the "God is Love" type, who ignore and make excuses for the icky bits of the Bible, like Hell, slavery, and genocide.

Then there is the "Doom and Gloom" type, who dwell on the Revelation book of the Bible, and who can't wait for the world to end, so they can look down on those of us suffering eternal torment in Hell, and laugh at us.

Are there any other types of Christians that I missed?

Creationists...the really stupid types...

what about the really intelligent types

No such thing. That's like saying "what if you could sh*t rainbows", and everyone looks at you like "you need a psychiatric ward".

So you would take away their PHDs and other credentials because you believe they need psychiatric help. And then there are those who were once atheistic but then convert to Christianity, do they automatically become stupid.

Yes. Yes I would. Anybody that believes that the earth is 6000years old doesn't deserve a PH.D. Any atheist that converts to any religion (unless ample evidence of that religion being true is clearly shown), he will be banished from the atheist community forever.

And he loses 30 iq points. Be warned...
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
Harikrish
Posts: 11,010
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 6:42:29 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/25/2016 4:00:07 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 2/25/2016 1:59:51 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 2/25/2016 7:33:37 AM, annanicole wrote:
At 2/23/2016 10:38:41 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 2/23/2016 12:57:23 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 2/22/2016 11:18:21 PM, janesix wrote:
I've noticed two distinct types of Christians.

One is the "God is Love" type, who ignore and make excuses for the icky bits of the Bible, like Hell, slavery, and genocide.

Then there is the "Doom and Gloom" type, who dwell on the Revelation book of the Bible, and who can't wait for the world to end, so they can look down on those of us suffering eternal torment in Hell, and laugh at us.

Are there any other types of Christians that I missed?

Yeah, the type that follow what Jesus taught and apply it. Those would be the "Christians". The two "types" you mentioned are personality types you don't like, doesn't have anything to do with what Jesus taught....which would be what a "Christian" is.
What you meant to say is..."Two kinds of personalities among Christians I don't like". But then I would disagree with that as well you just aimed only at what you find obnoxious. I'm a Christian and I've done neither of the two in our discussions, if I have point that out please... I'm only ever interested in your well being and that you have more clarity in your views of Christianity when you present your inquiries.

It also would appear you make the assumption that because of things you don't like in the OT that you link with Christianity that Christians cannot take the position that God is love. But if you understand what Jesus taught and what Christianity is then maybe you can understand why we say God is love. "God is love" is the primary core of Jesus' teachings and instruction as well as the epistles, for a Christian to deny God is love would be to deny it's very principles and teachings, which would make us non Christian....

Jesus did not come to spread love.
In his own words what he came to spread.
Matthew 10:34 "Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.

Peace and love are not synonyms.

Slut and Saint are not synonymous either.

So? Peace and love are not synonyms. You can ramble endlessly, but they still aren't.

Why does it have to be synonymous? Jesus was teaching hate against the traditional family which is the opposite of love and peace and love go together. But slut and Saint don't.
RoderickSpode
Posts: 2,379
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 8:36:27 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 1:02:26 AM, janesix wrote:
At 2/23/2016 12:57:23 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 2/22/2016 11:18:21 PM, janesix wrote:
I've noticed two distinct types of Christians.

One is the "God is Love" type, who ignore and make excuses for the icky bits of the Bible, like Hell, slavery, and genocide.

Then there is the "Doom and Gloom" type, who dwell on the Revelation book of the Bible, and who can't wait for the world to end, so they can look down on those of us suffering eternal torment in Hell, and laugh at us.

Are there any other types of Christians that I missed?

Yeah, the type that follow what Jesus taught and apply it. Those would be the "Christians". The two "types" you mentioned are personality types you don't like, doesn't have anything to do with what Jesus taught....which would be what a "Christian" is.
What you meant to say is..."Two kinds of personalities among Christians I don't like". But then I would disagree with that as well you just aimed only at what you find obnoxious. I'm a Christian and I've done neither of the two in our discussions, if I have point that out please... I'm only ever interested in your well being and that you have more clarity in your views of Christianity when you present your inquiries.

It also would appear you make the assumption that because of things you don't like in the OT that you link with Christianity that Christians cannot take the position that God is love. But if you understand what Jesus taught and what Christianity is then maybe you can understand why we say God is love. "God is love" is the primary core of Jesus' teachings and instruction as well as the epistles, for a Christian to deny God is love would be to deny it's very principles and teachings, which would make us non Christian....

Ok, I can see you are among the "God is Love" type. Why do you ignore the icky bits in the Bible that PROVE God isn't love at all?
Talk about a catch-22. This reminds me of the "If they swim to safety, they are a witch. If they drown, they are innocent. No in between", No possible other category, like not-a-witch-but-an-excellent-swimmer.

Your first responding post gave you an explanation of another option, and because the word love was emphasized, you placed that person in your narrow-minded category (which I doubt you paid much attention to).

Your entire thread is sort of like implying that there's 2 types of physicians. Those who ignore the icky parts (diseases, injuries), and those who enjoy seeing infirmities.
desmac
Posts: 5,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 9:02:31 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/25/2016 8:36:27 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 2/23/2016 1:02:26 AM, janesix wrote:
At 2/23/2016 12:57:23 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 2/22/2016 11:18:21 PM, janesix wrote:
I've noticed two distinct types of Christians.

One is the "God is Love" type, who ignore and make excuses for the icky bits of the Bible, like Hell, slavery, and genocide.

Then there is the "Doom and Gloom" type, who dwell on the Revelation book of the Bible, and who can't wait for the world to end, so they can look down on those of us suffering eternal torment in Hell, and laugh at us.

Are there any other types of Christians that I missed?

Yeah, the type that follow what Jesus taught and apply it. Those would be the "Christians". The two "types" you mentioned are personality types you don't like, doesn't have anything to do with what Jesus taught....which would be what a "Christian" is.
What you meant to say is..."Two kinds of personalities among Christians I don't like". But then I would disagree with that as well you just aimed only at what you find obnoxious. I'm a Christian and I've done neither of the two in our discussions, if I have point that out please... I'm only ever interested in your well being and that you have more clarity in your views of Christianity when you present your inquiries.

It also would appear you make the assumption that because of things you don't like in the OT that you link with Christianity that Christians cannot take the position that God is love. But if you understand what Jesus taught and what Christianity is then maybe you can understand why we say God is love. "God is love" is the primary core of Jesus' teachings and instruction as well as the epistles, for a Christian to deny God is love would be to deny it's very principles and teachings, which would make us non Christian....

Ok, I can see you are among the "God is Love" type. Why do you ignore the icky bits in the Bible that PROVE God isn't love at all?
Talk about a catch-22. This reminds me of the "If they swim to safety, they are a witch. If they drown, they are innocent. No in between", No possible other category, like not-a-witch-but-an-excellent-swimmer.

Your first responding post gave you an explanation of another option, and because the word love was emphasized, you placed that person in your narrow-minded category (which I doubt you paid much attention to).

Your entire thread is sort of like implying that there's 2 types of physicians. Those who ignore the icky parts (diseases, injuries), and those who enjoy seeing infirmities.

Yup, those witch trials were a fairly unpleasant christian practise.