Jump to topic:

Reboot : Why Are Atheists So So Restless

TREssspa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 12:35:08 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
Is it because of negativity - lack of this, disbelief of that - making atheists desperate or is it simply because hopelessness is an integral part of this Anti-Religion religion?

Does the origin of atheism lie in the sad and negative reaction to christian and islamic dogmas/superstitions?

And most important of all - has atheism anything original to offer to mankind?
Ponder upon this awhile. See what you come up with.
AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 12:44:21 PM
At 2/23/2016 12:35:08 PM, TREssspa wrote:
Is it because of negativity - lack of this, disbelief of that - making atheists desperate or is it simply because hopelessness is an integral part of this Anti-Religion religion?

I am lonely :,(

Does the origin of atheism lie in the sad and negative reaction to christian and islamic dogmas/superstitions?

I am still lonely and sad :=(

The most absolute form of unadulterated loneliness, made from the purest of children's tears.

Blue lonely tomato
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
Pandit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 12:44:33 PM
Atheism is not bad as long as people don't act like jerks.

Buddhism , jainism and certain hindu schools are the ones that shows atheism in a positive light .

atheists not all of them just mock other people instead of giving their views
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 12:47:51 PM
The question that needs to be asked is:
Why are believers so frightened by those who don't believe?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 12:49:37 PM
Knock knock

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 12:49:57 PM
At 2/23/2016 12:49:37 PM, AWSM0055 wrote:
Knock knock

Who's there?

AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 12:50:12 PM
At 2/23/2016 12:49:57 PM, AWSM0055 wrote:
Knock knock

Who's there?

You

AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 12:50:39 PM
At 2/23/2016 12:50:12 PM, AWSM0055 wrote:
Knock knock

Who's there?

You

Blue lonely potato

dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 2:04:35 PM

There is nothing original in most religions, save for those of aboriginal people who can trace it back to its source and have never had contact with any other religion. Judaism has appropriated stories from Babylonian and other religions and Christianity took that and added their own twists. Islam ripped that off and started its own thing. ALL religions are derived from primitive nature worship where natural events and things were considered sentient and divine. So there's no real comparison of 'originality' between religion and atheism.

What atheism has that makes it, IMO, superior to religion is a realistic view of the universe and a level of self confidence and self awareness to realize they don't need some divine creator to be significant in this world.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 2:27:17 PM

No it lies in the claimant of gods existence failure to support the claim.
Atheists use all of the evidence provided by claimants in support of gods existence to reject the claim of gods existence, that's because the claimants have never provided any evidence.
TREssspa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 3:10:07 PM
At 2/23/2016 2:04:35 PM, dhardage wrote:

There is nothing original in most religions, save for those of aboriginal people who can trace it back to its source and have never had contact with any other religion. Judaism has appropriated stories from Babylonian and other religions and Christianity took that and added their own twists. Islam ripped that off and started its own thing. ALL religions are derived from primitive nature worship where natural events and things were considered sentient and divine. So there's no real comparison of 'originality' between religion and atheism.

What atheism has that makes it, IMO, superior to religion is a realistic view of the universe and a level of self confidence and self awareness to realize they don't need some divine creator to be significant in this world.

I hate the word 'religion'.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 3:17:56 PM
At 2/23/2016 3:10:07 PM, TREssspa wrote:
I am a hindu

So you lied when you claimed to be agnostic?
I'm not surprised.
TREssspa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 3:41:30 PM
At 2/23/2016 3:17:56 PM, bulproof wrote:
I am a hindu

I'm not surprised.

I said I am not a follower of any religion. Quote me where I claimed to be agnostic.
DavidHenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 3:45:18 PM

I think they have a quixotic approach to science and technology which borders on Utopian. i wouldn't say that was anymore desperate than faith.

I don't think so. Atheists will teach their children traditional nonsense through holidays like Christmas, Easter, and heaven, or the tooth fairy, the stork, etc. Atheism tends to despise the social and political influence of religiosity but would they be any more satisfied with any other random legislation? There's no basis for atheist unification or organization as an alternative. What are there? Maybe three primary issues of contention? Abortion, sexuality, and evolution. The latter being only a necessity.

Original? If you trace it back to the garden of Eden there was the issue of Jehovah's sovereignty raised by Satan but Satan didn't deny Jehovah's existence. I'm sure there were people who didn't believe in the existence of specific Gods throughout the history of mankind, but atheism as a sort of - how would you describe it in it's current context? Idealism? World view? wasn't popular until the 19th century.

I don't think originality has any bearing from either perspective six thousand years into it.
"Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty." - Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 3:51:35 PM
At 2/23/2016 3:41:30 PM, TREssspa wrote:
I am a hindu

I'm not surprised.

I said I am not a follower of any religion. Quote me where I claimed to be agnostic.

At 2/22/2016 12:55:47 PM, TREssspa wrote:
At 2/22/2016 12:45:10 PM, Jedd wrote:
At 2/22/2016 12:32:29 PM, TREssspa wrote:
At 2/22/2016 12:18:59 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 2/22/2016 10:47:09 AM, TREssspa wrote:
You know what I'm gonna say. Actually, I was forced to put a 3rd part keeping in view the success of its predecessors. I am finally expecting an answer to why atheists behave like mad dogs who just got their a** stuffed.

Imagine someone standing in front of you saying 7+7=15 . You say no it ain't. it's 14, and you go to show em and they don't look , they don't want to talk with you about it . They got a book with vague terms that can be misinterpreted to make it look like it does equal 15 .
They don't want to use the simple 1+1=2, 2+2=4, every day experience nothing freaky different happens In life, the sun doesn't skip a day . There's no magic giants.

,And if they go along with the book way , they are promised when they die , they will be mega happy and way better off then you for believing it's 14.

That's what it feels like , we are trying to tell you, freaky ghost ,extraordinary mega unexplainable things have never happened in life. You are like big gullible kids , that's all you are. Your Common sense escapes you , for the reward you think you get. This Is exactly why I don't eat sun dried tomatoes.

I am not a follower of any religion.

Good for you. I assume you are not a fan of atheism either. So you're not an atheist nor a theist, agnostic, perhaps?

Exactly. You got it.

http://www.debate.org...
DavidHenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 3:52:02 PM
At 2/23/2016 12:44:33 PM, Pandit wrote:

Buddhism , jainism and certain hindu schools are the ones that shows atheism in a positive light .

The same applies to theists, of course, but that is just about the sum of it. It amounts to xenophobia on both sides. The purpose of a Christian within the community is to offer the good news, not insist upon it. The point is the offering, not the insistence upon the acceptance of it nor the judging of rejection of it.

People, in all human endeavors, get frustrated when other people don't agree with them - on religion, on politics, on fashion, in sports, in music, in art, in everything.
"Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty." - Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune
DavidHenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 3:53:08 PM
At 2/23/2016 12:50:39 PM, AWSM0055 wrote:
At 2/23/2016 12:50:12 PM, AWSM0055 wrote:
Knock knock

Who's there?

You

Blue lonely potato

Joe Satriani?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 3:57:54 PM
At 2/23/2016 3:45:18 PM, DavidHenson wrote:
What are there? Maybe three primary issues of contention? Abortion, sexuality, and evolution. The latter being only a necessity.
There's only one deary. Atheists reject your claim that gods exist. Are you seriously ignorant enough to espouse the nonsense you just did? WOW. Don't concern yourself, it seems that every godbotherer on here shares your ignorance.
Pandit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 4:05:26 PM
At 2/23/2016 3:52:02 PM, DavidHenson wrote:
At 2/23/2016 12:44:33 PM, Pandit wrote:

The same applies to theists, of course, but that is just about the sum of it. It amounts to xenophobia on both sides. The purpose of a Christian within the community is to offer the good news, not insist upon it. The point is the offering, not the insistence upon the acceptance of it nor the judging of rejection of it.

People, in all human endeavors, get frustrated when other people don't agree with them - on religion, on politics, on fashion, in sports, in music, in art, in everything.

Its Human nature .
Most of the times , We are intolerant to other people's views and ideas .
Christians say We are sinful and Jesus is our savior .
While we Hindus say , We are all divine in essence . We just need to connect to the divinity .

Society will always have people who sit at the extreme ends of Ideology . How we tackle them will determine the condition of Society .
DavidHenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 4:10:14 PM
At 2/23/2016 3:57:54 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/23/2016 3:45:18 PM, DavidHenson wrote:
What are there? Maybe three primary issues of contention? Abortion, sexuality, and evolution. The latter being only a necessity.
There's only one deary. Atheists reject your claim that gods exist. Are you seriously ignorant enough to espouse the nonsense you just did? WOW. Don't concern yourself, it seems that every godbotherer on here shares your ignorance.

You really think that that is a valid issue? What difference would it make? If there isn't a God then obviously it wouldn't be an issue because, politically and socially it would be, and in fact is, a moot point. There would remain the 3 issues of primary contention I suggested.

Secondly, the claim that gods exist isn't dependent upon the veneration of atheists. For example, I don't worship Zeus, I don't believe Zeus exists, Zeus is a god therefore Zeus exists as a God. The same applies to the Biblical Tammuz, the Sumerian king (Ezekiel 8) who was a mortal man, a God, an historical person.

Since a god means anything or anyone who is attributed might or venerated there are billions of gods, whether they exist or not.
TREssspa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 4:12:39 PM
At 2/23/2016 3:51:35 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/23/2016 3:41:30 PM, TREssspa wrote:
I am a hindu

I'm not surprised.

At 2/22/2016 12:55:47 PM, TREssspa wrote:
At 2/22/2016 12:45:10 PM, Jedd wrote:
At 2/22/2016 12:32:29 PM, TREssspa wrote:
At 2/22/2016 12:18:59 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 2/22/2016 10:47:09 AM, TREssspa wrote:
You know what I'm gonna say. Actually, I was forced to put a 3rd part keeping in view the success of its predecessors. I am finally expecting an answer to why atheists behave like mad dogs who just got their a** stuffed.

Imagine someone standing in front of you saying 7+7=15 . You say no it ain't. it's 14, and you go to show em and they don't look , they don't want to talk with you about it . They got a book with vague terms that can be misinterpreted to make it look like it does equal 15 .
They don't want to use the simple 1+1=2, 2+2=4, every day experience nothing freaky different happens In life, the sun doesn't skip a day . There's no magic giants.

,And if they go along with the book way , they are promised when they die , they will be mega happy and way better off then you for believing it's 14.

That's what it feels like , we are trying to tell you, freaky ghost ,extraordinary mega unexplainable things have never happened in life. You are like big gullible kids , that's all you are. Your Common sense escapes you , for the reward you think you get. This Is exactly why I don't eat sun dried tomatoes.

I am not a follower of any religion.

Good for you. I assume you are not a fan of atheism either. So you're not an atheist nor a theist, agnostic, perhaps?

Exactly. You got it.

http://www.debate.org...

and I got it wrong. (nor a theist, agnostic). Misunderstanding, I admit.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 4:13:28 PM

Well, to be fair - if you're debating somebody on a religion thread, you have to question whether someone is a full-blown atheist.

If I imagine myself concluding that there is no God, I can't imagine why I'd want to argue about it. If there is no God and it's all a cosmic accident, then whatever gets you through the night - I'd wish you whatever gives you comfort in this meaningless blink of an eye that we've got. I'd probably still go to church for the music, the friendship, the covered dish dinners and the warm naps while the preacher talks. Why not, what difference would it make.

So people who want to fight about God, either way, they are fighting about *something*, ya know? I think it's more a matter of arguing who or what God is, and not really debating his existence, which everybody senses at some level.
This space for rent.
DavidHenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 4:20:11 PM
At 2/23/2016 4:05:26 PM, Pandit wrote:
Its Human nature .
While we Hindus say , We are all divine in essence . We just need to connect to the divinity .

Exactly. To me, the interesting question then becomes; What is divinity? It is interesting that Hinduism has 330 million gods and yet are not polytheistic. Sanatana dharma, which means eternal law or order has gods and goddesses as representatives of the one God.

Society will always have people who sit at the extreme ends of Ideology . How we tackle them will determine the condition of Society .

Or Society will determine the condition of the extremes.
Pandit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 4:38:57 PM
At 2/23/2016 4:20:11 PM, DavidHenson wrote:
Its Human nature .

Exactly. To me, the interesting question then becomes; What is divinity? It is interesting that Hinduism has 330 million gods and yet are not polytheistic. Sanatana dharma, which means eternal law or order has gods and goddesses as representatives of the one God.

Well There is a miss conception or I should say translation error .
As per vedas there are 33 Koti Devas . Koti as per one translation is Million and as per another it translates to Category .
Hence there are 33 Categories of Gods ; 12 adityas , 11 rudras , 8 vasus and 2 others ( Can't remember their name )

Its hard to define divinity as per Hinduism .
We believe in an Impersonal Reality called Brahman who manifests itself into cosmos and its functioning is controlled by Creator Energy Brahma , Preserver Energy Vishnu and Destroyer Energy Shiva . This is all at the impersonal or spiritual Level .

Brahman sometimes translates to Universal Consciousness and Universal Soul .

Then at the Material Plane we have these God's and Devas manifesting in Physical Forms . Here comes Shiva with Tridant sitting in meditation and Vishnu incarnating as Rama , Krishna , Buddha and others . ( If tought to Visualize infinite , Thus we Visualize God in a Finite object , Which helps in better understanding of the phenomena called God )

Then we have concept of Shakti ( Energy ) that represents Feminine energy and then its various avatars . The questions that are asked by people in west were asked by People here thousands of years ago . That is why we have conceptualized God as Fish , Turtle , Boar , Lion , Elephant , Human , White , Black , Male , Female , Neutral , Light , Dark etc .

From outside Hindus appear to be polytheistic but Hinduism is not a religion in a strict western sense . Hinduism is a Family of Inter related sometimes contradicting Faiths .
A reason why You will find Monotheist Hindus , Pantheist Hindus , Polytheist Hindus , Monistic Hindus , Agnostic Hindus , Atheist Hindus etc .

I hope so . Society has a bad habit of letting Fringe and handful people to control the Majority .
TREssspa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 4:44:21 PM
Its Human nature .

THERE ARE 33 KOTIS OF GOD. IT DOES NOT TRANSLATE TO 330 MILLION GODS. DO NOT SPREAD MISLEADING INFO ON MY THREAD. WE DO NOT WANT WHITE MAN TO DEFINE HINDUISM.

vedas were being handed down by oral route-- as early as 34, 000 BC.

vedas were written down in 5000 BC.

TREssspa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 4:58:11 PM
At 2/23/2016 4:38:57 PM, Pandit wrote:
Its Human nature .

As per vedas there are 33 Koti Devas . Koti as per one translation is Million and as per another it translates to Category .
Hence there are 33 Categories of Gods ; 12 adityas , 11 rudras , 8 vasus and 2 others ( Can't remember their name )

We believe in an Impersonal Reality called Brahman who manifests itself into cosmos and its functioning is controlled by Creator Energy Brahma , Preserver Energy Vishnu and Destroyer Energy Shiva . This is all at the impersonal or spiritual Level .

Then at the Material Plane we have these God's and Devas manifesting in Physical Forms . Here comes Shiva with Tridant sitting in meditation and Vishnu incarnating as Rama , Krishna , Buddha and others . ( If tought to Visualize infinite , Thus we Visualize God in a Finite object , Which helps in better understanding of the phenomena called God )

Then we have concept of Shakti ( Energy ) that represents Feminine energy and then its various avatars . The questions that are asked by people in west were asked by People here thousands of years ago . That is why we have conceptualized God as Fish , Turtle , Boar , Lion , Elephant , Human , White , Black , Male , Female , Neutral , Light , Dark etc .

From outside Hindus appear to be polytheistic but Hinduism is not a religion in a strict western sense . Hinduism is a Family of Inter related sometimes contradicting Faiths .
A reason why You will find Monotheist Hindus , Pantheist Hindus , Polytheist Hindus , Monistic Hindus , Agnostic Hindus , Atheist Hindus etc .

I hope so . Society has a bad habit of letting Fringe and handful people to control the Majority .

both the STAR OF DAVID ( six pointed ) and the SWASTIKA are very holy HINDU SYMBOLS.

http://ajitvadakayil.blogspot.in...

the STAR OF DAVID denotes SHAKTI MERGING WITH SHIVA after kundali rise.

it is there in all ancient temples .

this is not a JEW symbol.

the islamic invaders who claim to have built the QUTAB MINAR could NOT destroy some "stars of david" and it is still there .

the six pointed star was there in every shiva temple on top of the pradiskhana stones-- JEW rothschild who riled india,got it erased. you can still feel the ground off topide.

the somnath temple ( shiva temple ) has HUGE doors with the six pointed star . these doors made of sandal wood lies in some rothschild vault.

THE DAYS OF INDIA YEARNING FOR ACCEPTANCE FROM THE WEST IS NOW OVER.
Pandit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 5:29:26 PM
At 2/23/2016 4:58:11 PM, TREssspa wrote:
Its Human nature .

both the STAR OF DAVID ( six pointed ) and the SWASTIKA are very holy HINDU SYMBOLS.

the islamic invaders who claim to have built the QUTAB MINAR could NOT destroy some "stars of david" and it is still there .

the six pointed star was there in every shiva temple on top of the pradiskhana stones-- JEW rothschild who riled india,got it erased. you can still feel the ground off topide.

the somnath temple ( shiva temple ) has HUGE doors with the six pointed star . these doors made of sandal wood lies in some rothschild vault.

Its good to see you love for the culture . But too much obsession will be harmful only to You . Message and Knowledge of this is more important than how old it is .
Tell me how many Hindus follow what have been taught to us by Krishna . How many of us live our lives like what has been mentioned in Vedas , Puranas and Upanishads .

The truth is most of us doesn't respect our own culture .
TREssspa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 5:53:21 PM
At 2/23/2016 5:29:26 PM, Pandit wrote:
At 2/23/2016 4:58:11 PM, TREssspa wrote:
Its Human nature .

Its good to see you love for the culture . But too much obsession will be harmful only to You . Message and Knowledge of this is more important than how old it is .
Tell me how many Hindus follow what have been taught to us by Krishna . How many of us live our lives like what has been mentioned in Vedas , Puranas and Upanishads .

The truth is most of us doesn't respect our own culture .

We are working on it. Sooner or later, we have to recognize ourselves.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 6:01:57 PM
At 2/23/2016 2:04:35 PM, dhardage wrote:

I hate the word 'religion'.

Non-sequitur, particularly since you used it in your OP.
Eliyahu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 6:30:21 PM
At 2/23/2016 12:47:51 PM, bulproof wrote:
The question that needs to be asked is:
Why are believers so frightened by those who don't believe?

Bs"d

Because the non-believers murder so many people:
Please be advised that everywhere in your translation of your OT when it is written "the LORD" with all capitals, then in the original Hebrew it says the four lettered name of God: Y-H-W-H. That name appears almost 7000 times in the Hebrew Bible.