Jump to topic:

Are Atheists scared of God existing?

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 9:30:48 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
Are Atheists scared of God existing? Just curious. Why or why not?
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 9:37:19 PM
At 2/24/2016 9:30:48 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

I am not an atheist, but when I was I was not afraid of God existing.

I wondered why 95% of the world population believed in God or Gods. It was a mystery to me.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 11:32:05 PM

Not at all. I am open to any idea that is backed by evidence.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 12:44:17 AM
Which one?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 1:13:07 AM

Bring him on. Go ahead. Show us God, right now.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 4:12:17 AM

Aside from arguing with theists on DDO, I concern myself with the question of whether God exists as much as I concern myself with the question of whether Hitler is still alive.
distraff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 4:25:39 AM

Some Gods yes. I am definitely scared of the evil Christian God who tortures for eternity all the people who did not worship him even the people who never even heard of him or have only heard of him from crazy unconvincing people such as yourself.
missmedic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 5:23:44 AM

The believers always scare me not there gods
AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 7:06:39 AM

I'm not scared of God, but if I learnt that he exist, I would react according to which religion he belonged to:

Judaistic God: OH GOD NO!
Christian God: I would crawl under a bed and die.
Muslim God: RUUUN!!!
Hindu God: Meh...
Deistic God: Meh...
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 10:20:32 AM

No. God is an invalid concept; not even worth the effort it takes to talk about God.

I could be scared of dragons existing, because despite being ludicrously improbable, dragons are nevertheless valid enough to be falsified.

However, I have no fear of God existing because God is less valid even than dragons.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 10:25:14 AM

No. Because they don't think God exists.
From this point forward, I'm assuming you're a poe and not interacting with you anymore.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 12:01:22 PM
At 2/25/2016 10:25:14 AM, tvellalott wrote:

No. Because they don't think God exists.
From this point forward, I'm assuming you're a poe and not interacting with you anymore.

Can we all take a moment to appreciate the fact that your signature says that "Caitlyn Jenner is...a stunningly beautiful woman" XD
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 1:29:48 PM
At 2/25/2016 7:06:39 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:

I'm not scared of God, but if I learnt that he exist, I would react according to which religion he belonged to:

Judaistic God: OH GOD NO!
Christian God: I would crawl under a bed and die.

Wow, sorry you feel such a proposition like this...
John 15
9 As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.

10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.

12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

And John 4
10 Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.

14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

15 The woman saith unto him, Sir, give me this water, that I thirst not.....

....is worth crawling under the bed and dying, your soul must be as dried up as an autumn leaf. You may wana get that fixed...

Muslim God: RUUUN!!!
Hindu God: Meh...
Deistic God: Meh...
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 1:32:34 PM

IF the god featured in the Bible exists, and all that is claimed for it is true, then humans have a right to be scared of it as it is wicked and evil. Humans should use their ingenuity to exterminate it!
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 1:33:24 PM
Which one?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 1:34:22 PM
Are you scared of other Gods existing? Just curious. Why or why not?
jglass841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 1:42:15 PM

No, I am not afraid of God existing. I just wonder why people believe in them with no evidence.
"The only thing more dangerous than an idea is a belief. And by dangerous I don"t mean thought provoking. I mean: might get people killed." " The Wordy Shipmates
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 2:06:13 PM

In short, no. Why would I want a misogynistic, sadistic, clearly prejudiced super being to exist? If I thought it did exist. then I might be frightened. Since it's just a boogeyman meant to keep a population under control, it's not at all frightening.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 2:10:01 PM

No. If they were scared they would believe in god. It's usually religious people who are scared god might not exist. They fear death and the thought of ceasing to exist entirely. Atheists just accept that's what will happen and don't worry about something outside of their control.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 2:11:25 PM
Are Atheists scared of God existing? Just curious.

I'm not technically an atheist, but could be considered one. Having these types of discussions are hypothetical interests, but largely irrelevant. There are just too many definitions and personifications of God.

It is quite simple and evident that if there is a higher being it is not acting with candor or a level of openness. This is empirically provable by measuring the quantity of different beliefs and interpretations which humans have derived. I can apply faith equally to Islam as I can christianity, yet one or the other has to be wrong. I can take that sentiment into christianity between the different sects. It is just not worth the time to stake a position in God as the odds, as measured by incompatible belief systems, are that you, me, and everyone else are wrong.

So to throw the question back to you, do you fear the Muslim God, Mormon God, Bah'ai God, unitarian God, Catholic God, Radical Evangelical God, etc? What is to fear if you don't believe in it?
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 9:32:49 PM

No, but I sure don't hope that God exists. If God does exist then I'm screwed because as an atheist I'm going straight to hell. So if God was suddenly proven to me then I would be a little scared - yes. But I believe that I sufficient evidence to prove God to be most likely to not exist. Though, obviously, I cannot 100% disprove it.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 9:56:01 PM
At 2/25/2016 2:11:25 PM, slo1 wrote:

I'm not technically an atheist, but could be considered one. Having these types of discussions are hypothetical interests, but largely irrelevant. There are just too many definitions and personifications of God.

It is quite simple and evident that if there is a higher being it is not acting with candor or a level of openness. This is empirically provable by measuring the quantity of different beliefs and interpretations which humans have derived. I can apply faith equally to Islam as I can christianity, yet one or the other has to be wrong. I can take that sentiment into christianity between the different sects. It is just not worth the time to stake a position in God as the odds, as measured by incompatible belief systems, are that you, me, and everyone else are wrong.

So to throw the question back to you, do you fear the Muslim God, Mormon God, Bah'ai God, unitarian God, Catholic God, Radical Evangelical God, etc? What is to fear if you don't believe in it?

I've studied all of these religions in depth and know how they relate to real life, so no I'm not scared.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 9:57:34 PM
At 2/25/2016 2:11:25 PM, slo1 wrote:

Many of the beliefs you listed claim the same god.

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 9:59:48 PM
At 2/25/2016 2:06:13 PM, dhardage wrote:

In short, no. Why would I want a misogynistic, sadistic, clearly prejudiced super being to exist? If I thought it did exist. then I might be frightened. Since it's just a boogeyman meant to keep a population under control, it's not at all frightening.

Are you trying to describe Jesus or Allah

dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 10:11:19 PM
At 2/25/2016 9:59:48 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

I'm referring to Yahweh, or Iehova as the Latinized versions goes, or Jehova if you want the Anglicized word. Note that Yahweh and Allah sound nearly the same so I'd say it applies to both.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 10:23:10 PM
At 2/25/2016 10:11:19 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 2/25/2016 9:59:48 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

I'm referring to Yahweh, or Iehova as the Latinized versions goes, or Jehova if you want the Anglicized word. Note that Yahweh and Allah sound nearly the same so I'd say it applies to both.

Theology dhardage. Theology.

The prophets spoke of the Messiah. Jesus came, fulfilled these prophecies according to the NT, and there were no more Jewish prophets. God went silent on prophechy to the Jews.

Christ lived, died, and the claim is He raised people from the dead and He himself rose from the dead.

The book of Revelation says there will be no more words, no more revelations. Then the Quran came claiming to be a add on revelation to a book that specifically says there will be no more words and no more revelations. Allah is not a name. It's a word. Jehovah is a name with a meaning. Islam's god has no name. Notta.

The NT tells of a false prophet that comes and leads masses against Jesus' divineness. Muhammed, the "great prophet of Islam", came and wrote the Quran stating that Jesus specifically was not divine. The Bible tells us that a new god would arise, violent, an enslaver, a liar, a murderer. It goes on to call him a "strange god" that his fathers knew not". The followers of this false prophet would behead Christians. Sound familiar? You watch the headlines on Christian beheadings? Christians are the bulwark of Islam, but Atheists tend to be uninformed on Christian and Muslim ideology, thus don't even understand the threat or why it is as it is. Allah is not Jehovah. He's the beast of Revelation.

DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 12:50:45 AM

Are you afraid of reality? Why?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 1:09:15 AM
At 2/25/2016 12:44:17 AM, bulproof wrote:
Which one?

O come on mate, surely you are not that illiterate, The question was not in the singular, but in the plural, "ATHEISTS." Or perhaps you did not notice the "S" on the end of the word that is defined as "GODLESS."
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 1:18:09 AM
At 2/26/2016 12:50:45 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Are you afraid of reality? Why?

The only reality is God, who is all that exists, in who I dwell and who dwells in me.
Now I can see how the godless will experience fear when the reality of their mortally descends like a dark cloud upon them, but why would one who believes in the resurrect, be afraid?

The disembodied mind will receive only that which that mind believes.