Total Posts:71|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Religion | Hinduism - The Difference

TREssspa
Posts: 567
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 7:10:54 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
Religion - A single founder.
Hinduism - No founder.

Religion - Cooked by mortals
Hinduism - The Truth

Religion - Single Holy Book
Hinduism - Writing down knowledge was compulsion as the oral route was preferred for maintaing the purity of utterence

Religion - An offshoot of hinduism
Hinduism - The Original Thing

Religion - founded somewhere, sometime
Hinduism - Eternal, Omnipresent

Religion - heaven and hell
Hinduism - nothing, just rebirths and moksha

Religion - convert and survive
Hinduism - survives on its own charm

Religion - flourishes by converting
Hinduism - only immigration

Religion - No Support Of Any Mahirishi
Hinduism - Every Maharishi

Religion - Faith Above Reason
Hinduism - Faith An Extension Of The Reason

Religion - Defined By Holy Texts, Beliefs
Hinduism - Defined By Deed

Religion - Full of Dogmas
Hinduism - No Dogmas

Religion - talks about others
Hinduism - one and for all

Religion - compulsions
Hinduism - you are free

Religion - Law of Man
Hinduism - Law of Nature

Religion - .........
Hinduism - Vedas

(sorry, religion had nothing comparable)
Pandit
Posts: 354
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 7:25:01 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
There is lack of Knowledge about Hinduism and that is a reality . Be it here or There .

Its better to show our positives than showing negative of others .

Hinduism is a way of Life which originated from the Various Philosophical thoughts , be it Vedic or non Vedic .
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 7:36:19 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
TRE, may I say that I'm glad you've put this contention into its own thread, instead of trying to slip it into the unrelated threads of other members as you've been doing for weeks. Thank you for respecting the site, its members and its other topics.

But in this thread you've done something rather sloppy and dishonest: you've sought to distinguish Hinduism among religions (which is fair) and used that for evidence that Hinduism isn't a religion (which is not.)

For what is a religion? You've never defined it.

There are many good psychosocial definitions of a religion. My suggestion is that you research them, pick one, and start your argument again. Because all you're proving here is that Hinduism is a different kind of religion to scriptural monotheism. And I'd agree that in some respects, it is, due to its history...

But so what?
johnlubba
Posts: 2,892
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 7:44:26 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
Hinduism stems of into many braches of philosophical thought and to claim it is not a religion is speaking on behalf of all chains of thought it stems of into.

From my perspective it is a religion because many schools of thought have rules and regulations that are directly affiliated with belief in God as the supreme being.

Thus it is a religion.
Pandit
Posts: 354
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 7:46:21 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/25/2016 7:44:26 PM, johnlubba wrote:
Hinduism stems of into many braches of philosophical thought and to claim it is not a religion is speaking on behalf of all chains of thought it stems of into.

From my perspective it is a religion because many schools of thought have rules and regulations that are directly affiliated with belief in God as the supreme being.

Thus it is a religion.

Some Hindu schools reject Creator God , who judges his people .
janesix
Posts: 3,439
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 8:46:04 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/25/2016 7:10:54 PM, TREssspa wrote:
Religion - A single founder.
Hinduism - No founder.

Religion - Cooked by mortals
Hinduism - The Truth

Religion - Single Holy Book
Hinduism - Writing down knowledge was compulsion as the oral route was preferred for maintaing the purity of utterence

Religion - An offshoot of hinduism
Hinduism - The Original Thing

Religion - founded somewhere, sometime
Hinduism - Eternal, Omnipresent

Religion - heaven and hell
Hinduism - nothing, just rebirths and moksha

Religion - convert and survive
Hinduism - survives on its own charm

Religion - flourishes by converting
Hinduism - only immigration

Religion - No Support Of Any Mahirishi
Hinduism - Every Maharishi

Religion - Faith Above Reason
Hinduism - Faith An Extension Of The Reason

Religion - Defined By Holy Texts, Beliefs
Hinduism - Defined By Deed

Religion - Full of Dogmas
Hinduism - No Dogmas

Religion - talks about others
Hinduism - one and for all

Religion - compulsions
Hinduism - you are free

Religion - Law of Man
Hinduism - Law of Nature

Religion - .........
Hinduism - Vedas

(sorry, religion had nothing comparable)

Hinduism is a belief in gods. Therefor it is a religion.
TREssspa
Posts: 567
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 3:23:43 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/25/2016 8:46:04 PM, janesix wrote:
At 2/25/2016 7:10:54 PM, TREssspa wrote:
Religion - A single founder.
Hinduism - No founder.

Religion - Cooked by mortals
Hinduism - The Truth

Religion - Single Holy Book
Hinduism - Writing down knowledge was compulsion as the oral route was preferred for maintaing the purity of utterence

Religion - An offshoot of hinduism
Hinduism - The Original Thing

Religion - founded somewhere, sometime
Hinduism - Eternal, Omnipresent

Religion - heaven and hell
Hinduism - nothing, just rebirths and moksha

Religion - convert and survive
Hinduism - survives on its own charm

Religion - flourishes by converting
Hinduism - only immigration

Religion - No Support Of Any Mahirishi
Hinduism - Every Maharishi

Religion - Faith Above Reason
Hinduism - Faith An Extension Of The Reason

Religion - Defined By Holy Texts, Beliefs
Hinduism - Defined By Deed

Religion - Full of Dogmas
Hinduism - No Dogmas

Religion - talks about others
Hinduism - one and for all

Religion - compulsions
Hinduism - you are free

Religion - Law of Man
Hinduism - Law of Nature

Religion - .........
Hinduism - Vedas

(sorry, religion had nothing comparable)

Hinduism is a belief in gods. Therefor it is a religion.

Hinduism is Not a belief in gods. Therefor it is Not a religion.
TREssspa
Posts: 567
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 3:42:54 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/25/2016 7:36:19 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
TRE, may I say that I'm glad you've put this contention into its own thread, instead of trying to slip it into the unrelated threads of other members as you've been doing for weeks. Thank you for respecting the site, its members and its other topics.

But in this thread you've done something rather sloppy and dishonest: you've sought to distinguish Hinduism among religions (which is fair) and used that for evidence that Hinduism isn't a religion (which is not.)

For what is a religion? You've never defined it.

There are many good psychosocial definitions of a religion. My suggestion is that you research them, pick one, and start your argument again. Because all you're proving here is that Hinduism is a different kind of religion to scriptural monotheism. And I'd agree that in some respects, it is, due to its history...

But so what?

Definition of Religion - Anything that suppresses curiosity, stops you from thinking, asks you to believe itself Is Religion. Anything that stops you from critical thinking and gives you loaded information that is hard to digest is Religion. Anything that creates confusion instead of clearing it is Religion. Anything you are forced to believe is Religion.

This is the True definition of religion.

Atheism is a religion.

Hinduism provides food for thought, hope for the hopeless.

It is Not a religion.
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 9:52:50 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/26/2016 3:42:54 AM, TREssspa wrote:
At 2/25/2016 7:36:19 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
TRE, may I say that I'm glad you've put this contention into its own thread, instead of trying to slip it into the unrelated threads of other members as you've been doing for weeks. Thank you for respecting the site, its members and its other topics.

But in this thread you've done something rather sloppy and dishonest: you've sought to distinguish Hinduism among religions (which is fair) and used that for evidence that Hinduism isn't a religion (which is not.)

For what is a religion? You've never defined it.

There are many good psychosocial definitions of a religion. My suggestion is that you research them, pick one, and start your argument again. Because all you're proving here is that Hinduism is a different kind of religion to scriptural monotheism. And I'd agree that in some respects, it is, due to its history...

But so what?

Definition of Religion - Anything that suppresses curiosity, stops you from thinking, asks you to believe itself Is Religion.

TRE, did you really believe an unsourced, made-up definition would satisfy me? :p

Please, go and research what psychology and sociology think a religion actually is; then if you want to argue that religion retards critical thought while Hindu beliefs never have, go right ahead.
Gentorev
Posts: 2,885
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 10:51:02 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/25/2016 7:10:54 PM, TREssspa wrote:
Religion - A single founder.
Hinduism - No founder.

Religion - Cooked by mortals
Hinduism - The Truth

Religion - Single Holy Book
Hinduism - Writing down knowledge was compulsion as the oral route was preferred for maintaing the purity of utterence

Religion - An offshoot of hinduism
Hinduism - The Original Thing

Religion - founded somewhere, sometime
Hinduism - Eternal, Omnipresent

Religion - heaven and hell
Hinduism - nothing, just rebirths and moksha

Religion - convert and survive
Hinduism - survives on its own charm

Religion - flourishes by converting
Hinduism - only immigration

Religion - No Support Of Any Mahirishi
Hinduism - Every Maharishi

Religion - Faith Above Reason
Hinduism - Faith An Extension Of The Reason

Religion - Defined By Holy Texts, Beliefs
Hinduism - Defined By Deed

Religion - Full of Dogmas
Hinduism - No Dogmas

Religion - talks about others
Hinduism - one and for all

Religion - compulsions
Hinduism - you are free

Religion - Law of Man
Hinduism - Law of Nature

Religion - .........
Hinduism - Vedas

(sorry, religion had nothing comparable)
"You can say that again, what other religion would worship 33 million gods?"

Those individual 33 million gods are supposedly powerful beings that have been appointed by Krishna and have been bestowed with the necessary powers and abilities to manage and govern their area of creation. They can be referred to as demigods. For example, there is someone responsible for the sun and his name is Surya. The goddess Saraswati is the overseer of knowledge. The creator of the material universe is known as Brahma. The destruction of the universe is overseen by Shiva and Vishnu serves as the maintainer. There are individuals overseeing the oceans, the wind, and practically every facet of creations.

Please name the 33 million gods that are worshiped by the Hindu religion to which you belong?
The tongue, the sharp two edged sword that divides the spirit from the soul.
TREssspa
Posts: 567
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 10:57:06 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/26/2016 9:52:50 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 2/26/2016 3:42:54 AM, TREssspa wrote:
At 2/25/2016 7:36:19 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
TRE, may I say that I'm glad you've put this contention into its own thread, instead of trying to slip it into the unrelated threads of other members as you've been doing for weeks. Thank you for respecting the site, its members and its other topics.

But in this thread you've done something rather sloppy and dishonest: you've sought to distinguish Hinduism among religions (which is fair) and used that for evidence that Hinduism isn't a religion (which is not.)

For what is a religion? You've never defined it.

There are many good psychosocial definitions of a religion. My suggestion is that you research them, pick one, and start your argument again. Because all you're proving here is that Hinduism is a different kind of religion to scriptural monotheism. And I'd agree that in some respects, it is, due to its history...

But so what?

Definition of Religion - Anything that suppresses curiosity, stops you from thinking, asks you to believe itself Is Religion.

TRE, did you really believe an unsourced, made-up definition would satisfy me? :p

Please, go and research what psychology and sociology think a religion actually is; then if you want to argue that religion retards critical thought while Hindu beliefs never have, go right ahead.

First of all thank you for putting your face in the reply. Second, you yourself asked me to define religion. Unsourced definition may Not be wrong always.

You can choose a definition from Any source and I'll show you how Hinduism Is Not a religion.
TREssspa
Posts: 567
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 10:58:15 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/26/2016 9:52:50 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 2/26/2016 3:42:54 AM, TREssspa wrote:
At 2/25/2016 7:36:19 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
TRE, may I say that I'm glad you've put this contention into its own thread, instead of trying to slip it into the unrelated threads of other members as you've been doing for weeks. Thank you for respecting the site, its members and its other topics.

But in this thread you've done something rather sloppy and dishonest: you've sought to distinguish Hinduism among religions (which is fair) and used that for evidence that Hinduism isn't a religion (which is not.)

For what is a religion? You've never defined it.

There are many good psychosocial definitions of a religion. My suggestion is that you research them, pick one, and start your argument again. Because all you're proving here is that Hinduism is a different kind of religion to scriptural monotheism. And I'd agree that in some respects, it is, due to its history...

But so what?

Definition of Religion - Anything that suppresses curiosity, stops you from thinking, asks you to believe itself Is Religion.

TRE, did you really believe an unsourced, made-up definition would satisfy me? :p

Please, go and research what psychology and sociology think a religion actually is; then if you want to argue that religion retards critical thought while Hindu beliefs never have, go right ahead.

First of all thank you for putting your face in the reply. Second, you yourself asked me to define religion. Unsourced definition is Not necessarily wrong.

You can choose a definition from Any source and I'll show you how Hinduism Is Not a religion.
Gentorev
Posts: 2,885
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 12:16:06 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/26/2016 10:58:15 AM, TREssspa wrote:
At 2/26/2016 9:52:50 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 2/26/2016 3:42:54 AM, TREssspa wrote:
At 2/25/2016 7:36:19 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
TRE, may I say that I'm glad you've put this contention into its own thread, instead of trying to slip it into the unrelated threads of other members as you've been doing for weeks. Thank you for respecting the site, its members and its other topics.

But in this thread you've done something rather sloppy and dishonest: you've sought to distinguish Hinduism among religions (which is fair) and used that for evidence that Hinduism isn't a religion (which is not.)

For what is a religion? You've never defined it.

There are many good psychosocial definitions of a religion. My suggestion is that you research them, pick one, and start your argument again. Because all you're proving here is that Hinduism is a different kind of religion to scriptural monotheism. And I'd agree that in some respects, it is, due to its history...

But so what?

Definition of Religion - Anything that suppresses curiosity, stops you from thinking, asks you to believe itself Is Religion.

TRE, did you really believe an unsourced, made-up definition would satisfy me? :p

Please, go and research what psychology and sociology think a religion actually is; then if you want to argue that religion retards critical thought while Hindu beliefs never have, go right ahead.

First of all thank you for putting your face in the reply. Second, you yourself asked me to define religion. Unsourced definition is Not necessarily wrong.

You can choose a definition from Any source and I'll show you how Hinduism Is Not a religion.

Still waiting for you as a Hindu to name the 33 million gods and demi-gods that you worship?
The tongue, the sharp two edged sword that divides the spirit from the soul.
TREssspa
Posts: 567
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 1:44:42 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/26/2016 10:51:02 AM, Gentorev wrote:
At 2/25/2016 7:10:54 PM, TREssspa wrote:
Religion - A single founder.
Hinduism - No founder.

Religion - Cooked by mortals
Hinduism - The Truth

Religion - Single Holy Book
Hinduism - Writing down knowledge was compulsion as the oral route was preferred for maintaing the purity of utterence

Religion - An offshoot of hinduism
Hinduism - The Original Thing

Religion - founded somewhere, sometime
Hinduism - Eternal, Omnipresent

Religion - heaven and hell
Hinduism - nothing, just rebirths and moksha

Religion - convert and survive
Hinduism - survives on its own charm

Religion - flourishes by converting
Hinduism - only immigration

Religion - No Support Of Any Mahirishi
Hinduism - Every Maharishi

Religion - Faith Above Reason
Hinduism - Faith An Extension Of The Reason

Religion - Defined By Holy Texts, Beliefs
Hinduism - Defined By Deed

Religion - Full of Dogmas
Hinduism - No Dogmas

Religion - talks about others
Hinduism - one and for all

Religion - compulsions
Hinduism - you are free

Religion - Law of Man
Hinduism - Law of Nature

Religion - .........
Hinduism - Vedas

(sorry, religion had nothing comparable)
"You can say that again, what other religion would worship 33 million gods?"


At the age of 75, you have NO idea what Hinduism is.

Pathetic!

Do Not spread wrong information.
TREssspa
Posts: 567
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 1:54:58 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/26/2016 10:51:02 AM, Gentorev wrote:
At 2/25/2016 7:10:54 PM, TREssspa wrote:
Religion - A single founder.
Hinduism - No founder.

Religion - Cooked by mortals
Hinduism - The Truth

Religion - Single Holy Book
Hinduism - Writing down knowledge was compulsion as the oral route was preferred for maintaing the purity of utterence

Religion - An offshoot of hinduism
Hinduism - The Original Thing

Religion - founded somewhere, sometime
Hinduism - Eternal, Omnipresent

Religion - heaven and hell
Hinduism - nothing, just rebirths and moksha

Religion - convert and survive
Hinduism - survives on its own charm

Religion - flourishes by converting
Hinduism - only immigration

Religion - No Support Of Any Mahirishi
Hinduism - Every Maharishi

Religion - Faith Above Reason
Hinduism - Faith An Extension Of The Reason

Religion - Defined By Holy Texts, Beliefs
Hinduism - Defined By Deed

Religion - Full of Dogmas
Hinduism - No Dogmas

Religion - talks about others
Hinduism - one and for all

Religion - compulsions
Hinduism - you are free

Religion - Law of Man
Hinduism - Law of Nature

Religion - .........
Hinduism - Vedas

(sorry, religion had nothing comparable)
"You can say that again, what other religion would worship 33 million gods?"

Those individual 33 million gods are supposedly powerful beings that have been appointed by Krishna and have been bestowed with the necessary powers and abilities to manage and govern their area of creation. They can be referred to as demigods. For example, there is someone responsible for the sun and his name is Surya. The goddess Saraswati is the overseer of knowledge. The creator of the material universe is known as Brahma. The destruction of the universe is overseen by Shiva and Vishnu serves as the maintainer. There are individuals overseeing the oceans, the wind, and practically every facet of creations.

Hey, even I did Not know this. I should a asked a gora gaand earlier.

No, bullsh"t written above has nothing to do with Hinduism.

White man's idea of god is childish to say the least.

Ask stan lee to make new gods for us and get them published as truth.

Today, we know white man built fake gods and fake mutts for hinduism.

Priceless texts, herbs, plants disappeared during british rule in india.

WITHIN THIRTY YEARS - GAME WILL CHANGE FOR WHITE MAN!

MARK MY WORDS.

DEPOPULATION.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 2:01:58 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/26/2016 12:16:06 PM, Gentorev wrote:
At 2/26/2016 10:58:15 AM, TREssspa wrote:
At 2/26/2016 9:52:50 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 2/26/2016 3:42:54 AM, TREssspa wrote:
At 2/25/2016 7:36:19 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
TRE, may I say that I'm glad you've put this contention into its own thread, instead of trying to slip it into the unrelated threads of other members as you've been doing for weeks. Thank you for respecting the site, its members and its other topics.

But in this thread you've done something rather sloppy and dishonest: you've sought to distinguish Hinduism among religions (which is fair) and used that for evidence that Hinduism isn't a religion (which is not.)

For what is a religion? You've never defined it.

There are many good psychosocial definitions of a religion. My suggestion is that you research them, pick one, and start your argument again. Because all you're proving here is that Hinduism is a different kind of religion to scriptural monotheism. And I'd agree that in some respects, it is, due to its history...

But so what?

Definition of Religion - Anything that suppresses curiosity, stops you from thinking, asks you to believe itself Is Religion.

TRE, did you really believe an unsourced, made-up definition would satisfy me? :p

Please, go and research what psychology and sociology think a religion actually is; then if you want to argue that religion retards critical thought while Hindu beliefs never have, go right ahead.

First of all thank you for putting your face in the reply. Second, you yourself asked me to define religion. Unsourced definition is Not necessarily wrong.

You can choose a definition from Any source and I'll show you how Hinduism Is Not a religion.

Still waiting for you as a Hindu to name the 33 million gods and demi-gods that you worship?

They are all different manifestations of the same God. Yes, Hindus believe every life is sacred. We have role models we call avatars and deities. Hindus are intellectually capable of handling 33 million gods which distinguishes them from Christians who are struggling with just three. Some are even confused between Angels and gods. And others call God by some meaningless English word Jehovah they invented in the 1600s. Why didn't they just ask the Jews whose religion they stole because the Jews already have a name for the God of the Bible? It is YHWH/Yahweh.
janesix
Posts: 3,439
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 8:35:56 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/26/2016 2:01:58 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 2/26/2016 12:16:06 PM, Gentorev wrote:
At 2/26/2016 10:58:15 AM, TREssspa wrote:
At 2/26/2016 9:52:50 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 2/26/2016 3:42:54 AM, TREssspa wrote:
At 2/25/2016 7:36:19 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
TRE, may I say that I'm glad you've put this contention into its own thread, instead of trying to slip it into the unrelated threads of other members as you've been doing for weeks. Thank you for respecting the site, its members and its other topics.

But in this thread you've done something rather sloppy and dishonest: you've sought to distinguish Hinduism among religions (which is fair) and used that for evidence that Hinduism isn't a religion (which is not.)

For what is a religion? You've never defined it.

There are many good psychosocial definitions of a religion. My suggestion is that you research them, pick one, and start your argument again. Because all you're proving here is that Hinduism is a different kind of religion to scriptural monotheism. And I'd agree that in some respects, it is, due to its history...

But so what?

Definition of Religion - Anything that suppresses curiosity, stops you from thinking, asks you to believe itself Is Religion.

TRE, did you really believe an unsourced, made-up definition would satisfy me? :p

Please, go and research what psychology and sociology think a religion actually is; then if you want to argue that religion retards critical thought while Hindu beliefs never have, go right ahead.

First of all thank you for putting your face in the reply. Second, you yourself asked me to define religion. Unsourced definition is Not necessarily wrong.

You can choose a definition from Any source and I'll show you how Hinduism Is Not a religion.

Still waiting for you as a Hindu to name the 33 million gods and demi-gods that you worship?

They are all different manifestations of the same God. Yes, Hindus believe every life is sacred. We have role models we call avatars and deities. Hindus are intellectually capable of handling 33 million gods which distinguishes them from Christians who are struggling with just three. Some are even confused between Angels and gods. And others call God by some meaningless English word Jehovah they invented in the 1600s. Why didn't they just ask the Jews whose religion they stole because the Jews already have a name for the God of the Bible? It is YHWH/Yahweh.

Do you mean they are all manifestations of Brahma? I am trying to understand your religion.
Stronn
Posts: 316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 9:52:24 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
Why the fixation on defining the word "religion" in such a way that Hinduism does not fit? I don't see the point, unless it's an attempt to argue that not being a religion makes Hinduism somehow superior to religion. If so, you could make the case simply by arguing that Hinduism is not like other religions. There is no need to resort to definitional nitpicking. The fact is that by most people's definition of the word, Hinduism is a religion.

At 2/26/2016 10:57:06 AM, TREssspa wrote:

You can choose a definition from Any source and I'll show you how Hinduism Is Not a religion.

Fine, show us how Hinduism does not fit either of these definitions.

1. A set of beliefs concerning the supernatural, sacred, or divine, and the practices and institutions associated with such belief.

2. A set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 10:41:55 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/26/2016 8:35:56 PM, janesix wrote:
At 2/26/2016 2:01:58 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 2/26/2016 12:16:06 PM, Gentorev wrote:
At 2/26/2016 10:58:15 AM, TREssspa wrote:
At 2/26/2016 9:52:50 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 2/26/2016 3:42:54 AM, TREssspa wrote:
At 2/25/2016 7:36:19 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
TRE, may I say that I'm glad you've put this contention into its own thread, instead of trying to slip it into the unrelated threads of other members as you've been doing for weeks. Thank you for respecting the site, its members and its other topics.

But in this thread you've done something rather sloppy and dishonest: you've sought to distinguish Hinduism among religions (which is fair) and used that for evidence that Hinduism isn't a religion (which is not.)

For what is a religion? You've never defined it.

There are many good psychosocial definitions of a religion. My suggestion is that you research them, pick one, and start your argument again. Because all you're proving here is that Hinduism is a different kind of religion to scriptural monotheism. And I'd agree that in some respects, it is, due to its history...

But so what?

Definition of Religion - Anything that suppresses curiosity, stops you from thinking, asks you to believe itself Is Religion.

TRE, did you really believe an unsourced, made-up definition would satisfy me? :p

Please, go and research what psychology and sociology think a religion actually is; then if you want to argue that religion retards critical thought while Hindu beliefs never have, go right ahead.

First of all thank you for putting your face in the reply. Second, you yourself asked me to define religion. Unsourced definition is Not necessarily wrong.

You can choose a definition from Any source and I'll show you how Hinduism Is Not a religion.

Still waiting for you as a Hindu to name the 33 million gods and demi-gods that you worship?

They are all different manifestations of the same God. Yes, Hindus believe every life is sacred. We have role models we call avatars and deities. Hindus are intellectually capable of handling 33 million gods which distinguishes them from Christians who are struggling with just three. Some are even confused between Angels and gods. And others call God by some meaningless English word Jehovah they invented in the 1600s. Why didn't they just ask the Jews whose religion they stole because the Jews already have a name for the God of the Bible? It is YHWH/Yahweh.

Do you mean they are all manifestations of Brahma? I am trying to understand your religion.

There aren't 33 million gods in Hinduism. That is the average number of bhajans (holy songs/verses) sung by a Hindus in his/her lifetime.
janesix
Posts: 3,439
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 10:46:14 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/26/2016 10:41:55 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 2/26/2016 8:35:56 PM, janesix wrote:
At 2/26/2016 2:01:58 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 2/26/2016 12:16:06 PM, Gentorev wrote:
At 2/26/2016 10:58:15 AM, TREssspa wrote:
At 2/26/2016 9:52:50 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 2/26/2016 3:42:54 AM, TREssspa wrote:
At 2/25/2016 7:36:19 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
TRE, may I say that I'm glad you've put this contention into its own thread, instead of trying to slip it into the unrelated threads of other members as you've been doing for weeks. Thank you for respecting the site, its members and its other topics.

But in this thread you've done something rather sloppy and dishonest: you've sought to distinguish Hinduism among religions (which is fair) and used that for evidence that Hinduism isn't a religion (which is not.)

For what is a religion? You've never defined it.

There are many good psychosocial definitions of a religion. My suggestion is that you research them, pick one, and start your argument again. Because all you're proving here is that Hinduism is a different kind of religion to scriptural monotheism. And I'd agree that in some respects, it is, due to its history...

But so what?

Definition of Religion - Anything that suppresses curiosity, stops you from thinking, asks you to believe itself Is Religion.

TRE, did you really believe an unsourced, made-up definition would satisfy me? :p

Please, go and research what psychology and sociology think a religion actually is; then if you want to argue that religion retards critical thought while Hindu beliefs never have, go right ahead.

First of all thank you for putting your face in the reply. Second, you yourself asked me to define religion. Unsourced definition is Not necessarily wrong.

You can choose a definition from Any source and I'll show you how Hinduism Is Not a religion.

Still waiting for you as a Hindu to name the 33 million gods and demi-gods that you worship?

They are all different manifestations of the same God. Yes, Hindus believe every life is sacred. We have role models we call avatars and deities. Hindus are intellectually capable of handling 33 million gods which distinguishes them from Christians who are struggling with just three. Some are even confused between Angels and gods. And others call God by some meaningless English word Jehovah they invented in the 1600s. Why didn't they just ask the Jews whose religion they stole because the Jews already have a name for the God of the Bible? It is YHWH/Yahweh.

Do you mean they are all manifestations of Brahma? I am trying to understand your religion.

There aren't 33 million gods in Hinduism. That is the average number of bhajans (holy songs/verses) sung by a Hindus in his/her lifetime.

Are Shiva and Shakti god/goddess or just personifications of life force/prana?
Stronn
Posts: 316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2016 1:30:42 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/26/2016 10:41:55 PM, Harikrish wrote:

There aren't 33 million gods in Hinduism. That is the average number of bhajans (holy songs/verses) sung by a Hindus in his/her lifetime.

Assuming a life span of 70 years and 8 hours sleep per night, that works out to 1 bhajan every 44.6 seconds. That is quite a lot of singing.
TREssspa
Posts: 567
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2016 6:42:36 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/26/2016 9:52:24 PM, Stronn wrote:
Why the fixation on defining the word "religion" in such a way that Hinduism does not fit? I don't see the point, unless it's an attempt to argue that not being a religion makes Hinduism somehow superior to religion. If so, you could make the case simply by arguing that Hinduism is not like other religions. There is no need to resort to definitional nitpicking. The fact is that by most people's definition of the word, Hinduism is a religion.

At 2/26/2016 10:57:06 AM, TREssspa wrote:

You can choose a definition from Any source and I'll show you how Hinduism Is Not a religion.

Fine, show us how Hinduism does not fit either of these definitions.

1. A set of beliefs concerning the supernatural, sacred, or divine, and the practices and institutions associated with such belief.
It is neither Hinduism nor a part of it.
2. A set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
It is neither Hinduism nor a part of it.

A set of beliefs is so anti - hindu.
bulproof
Posts: 25,197
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2016 6:53:37 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/26/2016 1:54:58 PM, TREssspa wrote:
White man's idea of god is childish to say the least.
Nice blatant racism there little fella.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
TREssspa
Posts: 567
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2016 7:44:43 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/27/2016 6:53:37 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/26/2016 1:54:58 PM, TREssspa wrote:
White man's idea of god is childish to say the least.
Nice blatant racism there little fella.

thanks bulproof!
Stronn
Posts: 316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2016 8:11:06 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/27/2016 6:42:36 AM, TREssspa wrote:
At 2/26/2016 9:52:24 PM, Stronn wrote:
Why the fixation on defining the word "religion" in such a way that Hinduism does not fit? I don't see the point, unless it's an attempt to argue that not being a religion makes Hinduism somehow superior to religion. If so, you could make the case simply by arguing that Hinduism is not like other religions. There is no need to resort to definitional nitpicking. The fact is that by most people's definition of the word, Hinduism is a religion.

At 2/26/2016 10:57:06 AM, TREssspa wrote:

You can choose a definition from Any source and I'll show you how Hinduism Is Not a religion.

Fine, show us how Hinduism does not fit either of these definitions.

1. A set of beliefs concerning the supernatural, sacred, or divine, and the practices and institutions associated with such belief.
It is neither Hinduism nor a part of it.
2. A set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
It is neither Hinduism nor a part of it.

A set of beliefs is so anti - hindu.

Well, if you're not going to bother with a thoughtful reply, neither will I. I'll just note that after perusing over a dozen Hindu websites, I have yet to find one that does not call Hinduism a religion. So it seems you are in the minority among Hindus in your definition of religion.
TREssspa
Posts: 567
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2016 8:57:49 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/27/2016 8:11:06 AM, Stronn wrote:
At 2/27/2016 6:42:36 AM, TREssspa wrote:
At 2/26/2016 9:52:24 PM, Stronn wrote:
Why the fixation on defining the word "religion" in such a way that Hinduism does not fit? I don't see the point, unless it's an attempt to argue that not being a religion makes Hinduism somehow superior to religion. If so, you could make the case simply by arguing that Hinduism is not like other religions. There is no need to resort to definitional nitpicking. The fact is that by most people's definition of the word, Hinduism is a religion.

At 2/26/2016 10:57:06 AM, TREssspa wrote:

You can choose a definition from Any source and I'll show you how Hinduism Is Not a religion.

Fine, show us how Hinduism does not fit either of these definitions.

1. A set of beliefs concerning the supernatural, sacred, or divine, and the practices and institutions associated with such belief.
It is neither Hinduism nor a part of it.
2. A set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
It is neither Hinduism nor a part of it.

A set of beliefs is so anti - hindu.

Well, if you're not going to bother with a thoughtful reply, neither will I. I'll just note that after perusing over a dozen Hindu websites, I have yet to find one that does not call Hinduism a religion. So it seems you are in the minority among Hindus in your definition of religion.

Most hindus have never heard of the word 'religion'. We hindus have Not given authority to Any website.
Gentorev
Posts: 2,885
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2016 9:37:17 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/26/2016 1:54:58 PM, TREssspa wrote:
At 2/26/2016 10:51:02 AM, Gentorev wrote:
At 2/25/2016 7:10:54 PM, TREssspa wrote:
Religion - A single founder.
Hinduism - No founder.

Religion - Cooked by mortals
Hinduism - The Truth

Religion - Single Holy Book
Hinduism - Writing down knowledge was compulsion as the oral route was preferred for maintaing the purity of utterence

Religion - An offshoot of hinduism
Hinduism - The Original Thing

Religion - founded somewhere, sometime
Hinduism - Eternal, Omnipresent

Religion - heaven and hell
Hinduism - nothing, just rebirths and moksha

Religion - convert and survive
Hinduism - survives on its own charm

Religion - flourishes by converting
Hinduism - only immigration

Religion - No Support Of Any Mahirishi
Hinduism - Every Maharishi

Religion - Faith Above Reason
Hinduism - Faith An Extension Of The Reason

Religion - Defined By Holy Texts, Beliefs
Hinduism - Defined By Deed

Religion - Full of Dogmas
Hinduism - No Dogmas

Religion - talks about others
Hinduism - one and for all

Religion - compulsions
Hinduism - you are free

Religion - Law of Man
Hinduism - Law of Nature

Religion - .........
Hinduism - Vedas

(sorry, religion had nothing comparable)
"You can say that again, what other religion would worship 33 million gods?"

Those individual 33 million gods are supposedly powerful beings that have been appointed by Krishna and have been bestowed with the necessary powers and abilities to manage and govern their area of creation. They can be referred to as demigods. For example, there is someone responsible for the sun and his name is Surya. The goddess Saraswati is the overseer of knowledge. The creator of the material universe is known as Brahma. The destruction of the universe is overseen by Shiva and Vishnu serves as the maintainer. There are individuals overseeing the oceans, the wind, and practically every facet of creations.

Hey, even I did Not know this. I should a asked a gora gaand earlier.


I know that you didn't know that, because it is apparent from your posts, that you know sweet Fanny Adams about the Hindu religion.

No, bullsh"t written above has nothing to do with Hinduism.

Everything written above is correct, and anyone can check it out on the Internet.

White man's idea of god is childish to say the least.

So says the racist TREssspa. It is obvious from your racial hatred against white people, that you must be a member of one of the many black races of man. Are you an Africian Negro, who has recently converted to the Hindu religion, which would explain your ignorance to the Hindu belief. If on the other hand, you were born in India, ,what Indian cast do you belong to? I am assuming that you belong to the lowest of them all.

Ask stan lee to make new gods for us and get them published as truth.

WHY? Isn't 33 million gods enough for you to worship?

Today, we know white man built fake gods and fake mutts for hinduism.

Priceless texts, herbs, plants disappeared during british rule in india.

WITHIN THIRTY YEARS - GAME WILL CHANGE FOR WHITE MAN!

MARK MY WORDS.

DEPOPULATION.

Good! Perhaps a selection of the worst racists from the lowest casts to which you presumably belong, will be the first to go.
The tongue, the sharp two edged sword that divides the spirit from the soul.
TREssspa
Posts: 567
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2016 10:27:33 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/27/2016 9:37:17 AM, Gentorev wrote:
At 2/26/2016 1:54:58 PM, TREssspa wrote:
At 2/26/2016 10:51:02 AM, Gentorev wrote:
At 2/25/2016 7:10:54 PM, TREssspa wrote:
Religion - A single founder.
Hinduism - No founder.

Religion - Cooked by mortals
Hinduism - The Truth

Religion - Single Holy Book
Hinduism - Writing down knowledge was compulsion as the oral route was preferred for maintaing the purity of utterence

Religion - An offshoot of hinduism
Hinduism - The Original Thing

Religion - founded somewhere, sometime
Hinduism - Eternal, Omnipresent

Religion - heaven and hell
Hinduism - nothing, just rebirths and moksha

Religion - convert and survive
Hinduism - survives on its own charm

Religion - flourishes by converting
Hinduism - only immigration

Religion - No Support Of Any Mahirishi
Hinduism - Every Maharishi

Religion - Faith Above Reason
Hinduism - Faith An Extension Of The Reason

Religion - Defined By Holy Texts, Beliefs
Hinduism - Defined By Deed

Religion - Full of Dogmas
Hinduism - No Dogmas

Religion - talks about others
Hinduism - one and for all

Religion - compulsions
Hinduism - you are free

Religion - Law of Man
Hinduism - Law of Nature

Religion - .........
Hinduism - Vedas

(sorry, religion had nothing comparable)
"You can say that again, what other religion would worship 33 million gods?"

Those individual 33 million gods are supposedly powerful beings that have been appointed by Krishna and have been bestowed with the necessary powers and abilities to manage and govern their area of creation. They can be referred to as demigods. For example, there is someone responsible for the sun and his name is Surya. The goddess Saraswati is the overseer of knowledge. The creator of the material universe is known as Brahma. The destruction of the universe is overseen by Shiva and Vishnu serves as the maintainer. There are individuals overseeing the oceans, the wind, and practically every facet of creations.

Hey, even I did Not know this. I should a asked a gora gaand earlier.


I know that you didn't know that, because it is apparent from your posts, that you know sweet Fanny Adams about the Hindu religion.

No, bullsh"t written above has nothing to do with Hinduism.

Everything written above is correct, and anyone can check it out on the Internet.

White man's idea of god is childish to say the least.

So says the racist TREssspa. It is obvious from your racial hatred against white people, that you must be a member of one of the many black races of man. Are you an Africian Negro, who has recently converted to the Hindu religion, which would explain your ignorance to the Hindu belief. If on the other hand, you were born in India, ,what Indian cast do you belong to? I am assuming that you belong to the lowest of them all.

I have original bhartiya dna, one of the most prestgious bloodline. I don't have white or black skin like animals. I have natural fair skintone with a golden glow. And yes, no lower caste hindu will dare to stand within 2m radii of me.

Africans are pathetic! White man is untouchable and belongs to a mutated race.

We Hindus never convert a vulnerable person.
Stronn
Posts: 316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2016 10:30:06 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/27/2016 8:57:49 AM, TREssspa wrote:
At 2/27/2016 8:11:06 AM, Stronn wrote:
At 2/27/2016 6:42:36 AM, TREssspa wrote:
At 2/26/2016 9:52:24 PM, Stronn wrote:
Why the fixation on defining the word "religion" in such a way that Hinduism does not fit? I don't see the point, unless it's an attempt to argue that not being a religion makes Hinduism somehow superior to religion. If so, you could make the case simply by arguing that Hinduism is not like other religions. There is no need to resort to definitional nitpicking. The fact is that by most people's definition of the word, Hinduism is a religion.

At 2/26/2016 10:57:06 AM, TREssspa wrote:

You can choose a definition from Any source and I'll show you how Hinduism Is Not a religion.

Fine, show us how Hinduism does not fit either of these definitions.

1. A set of beliefs concerning the supernatural, sacred, or divine, and the practices and institutions associated with such belief.
It is neither Hinduism nor a part of it.
2. A set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
It is neither Hinduism nor a part of it.

A set of beliefs is so anti - hindu.

Well, if you're not going to bother with a thoughtful reply, neither will I. I'll just note that after perusing over a dozen Hindu websites, I have yet to find one that does not call Hinduism a religion. So it seems you are in the minority among Hindus in your definition of religion.

Most hindus have never heard of the word 'religion'. We hindus have Not given authority to Any website.

You miss the point that the websites were created by Hindus. So what if you have not granted them authority to speak for you. They have not granted you authority to speak for them either. Do you claim to speak for all Hindus? The fact is that the vast majority of your fellow Hindus, the ones who speak English, call HInduism a religion.
AWSM0055
Posts: 751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2016 10:51:04 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/25/2016 7:10:54 PM, TREssspa wrote:
Religion - A single founder.
Hinduism - No founder.

Point taken.

Religion - Cooked by mortals
Hinduism - The Truth

Prove it.

Religion - Single Holy Book
Hinduism - Writing down knowledge was compulsion as the oral route was preferred for maintaing the purity of utterence

Oh yes, because here say evidence is much more reliable than primary sources.
Also, what happened to Vedas?

Religion - An offshoot of hinduism
Hinduism - The Original Thing

Depends on what you mean by original: https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

Religion - founded somewhere, sometime
Hinduism - Eternal, Omnipresent

No indication that Hinduism was existant before 9800 BCE.

Religion - heaven and hell
Hinduism - nothing, just rebirths and moksha

Pretty cool. I hope that's true.

Religion - convert and survive
Hinduism - survives on its own charm

I must admit, it's pretty impressive that Hinduism has survived for approx 10,200 years.

Religion - flourishes by converting
Hinduism - only immigration

Ok...

Religion - No Support Of Any Mahirishi
Hinduism - Every Maharishi

Don't know what that means.

Religion - Faith Above Reason
Hinduism - Faith An Extension Of The Reason

Ok, show me reasoning why Hinduism is true.

Religion - Defined By Holy Texts, Beliefs
Hinduism - Defined By Deed

So, I can be a Hindu by being good? Is that it? "Hay Ma!...MA!...I'M A HINDU NOW!! It's AWSM!"

Religion - Full of Dogmas
Hinduism - No Dogmas

A few dogmas actually, but not as many as other religions. http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org...

Religion - talks about others
Hinduism - one and for all

Don't know what that means.

Religion - compulsions
Hinduism - you are free

Oh good!

Religion - Law of Man
Hinduism - Law of Nature

So science? No?...

Religion - .........
Hinduism - Vedas

(sorry, religion had nothing comparable)

But it's still a religion because you do a bunch of other ceremonies and you worship some God or something, so yes your still qualified.
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...