Jump to topic:

Buddhism - Ask

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2010 8:44:03 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
In the same vain as Mirza's thread, please post any questions or queries about Buddhism. I think Buddhism has been widely misunderstood, or simply, many just don't know about it so allow me to clarify any misconceptions.

(This is a question about the doctrines of Buddhism, not about whether there is evidence to support certain tenets.)
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2010 8:46:04 PM
If Buddhists are atheistic how do they justify the belief in reincarnation or is the whole reincarnation thing another misconception?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2010 9:03:13 PM
At 11/6/2010 8:46:04 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
If Buddhists are atheistic how do they justify the belief in reincarnation or is the whole reincarnation thing another misconception?

Well, reincarnation is compatible with Atheism (see Jainism), because reincarnation has nothing to do with God.

Though, to be clear, Buddhism doesn't posit reincarnation.

According to scripture Buddha clarifies this misconception in the Mahatanhasankhaya Sutta:

Sati: "Yes, venerable sir, as I know the Teaching of the Blessed One, this consciousness transmigrates through existences."

The Buddha replied: "Foolish man, to whom do you know me having preached this Teaching. Haven't I told, in various ways that consciousness is dependently arisen. Without a cause, there is no arising of consciousness. Yet, you foolish man, because of your wrong grasp, blame me, destroy yourself, and accumulate much demerit."
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2010 9:17:43 PM
At 11/6/2010 9:05:36 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
So you, personally, don't believe in reincarnation?

No, however, there's a difference between reincarnation and rebirth (which is what Buddhism teaches).

I am still undecided on rebirth and trying to understand the Buddhist understanding. What I do know is that Buddhism posits the mindstream theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Here's what the Dalai Lama said regarding this:

"in the Buddhist doctrine of selflessness, or "no soul" theory, the understanding is that there is no eternal, unchanging, abiding, permanent self called "soul." That is what is being denied in Buddhism.

Buddhism does not deny the continuum of consciousness. Because of this, we find some Tibetan scholars, such as the Sakya master Rendawa, who accept that there is such a thing as self or soul, the "kangsak ki dak" (Tib. gang zag gi bdag). However, the same word, the "kangsak ki dak", the self, or person, or personal self, or identity, is at the same time denied by many other scholars.

We find diverse opinions, even among Buddhist scholars, as to what exactly the nature of self is, what exactly that thing or entity is that continues from one moment to the next moment, from one lifetime to the next lifetime. Some try to locate it within the aggregates, the composite of body and mind. Some explain it in terms of a designation based on the body and mind composite, and so on.... One of the divisions of [the "Mind-Only"] school maintains there is a special continuum of consciousness called alayavijnana which is the fundamental consciousness."

http://en.wikipedia.org...
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2010 6:20:28 AM
DIVINITY
1.Do you believe Buddha was God?
2.Are there people who believe that his divine and if so then are they considered Buddhists?
3.Since this is about clarification I wont ask you the obvious question of why would anyone consider him divine but it would be nice if you'd respond in one way or another
HINDUISM
1.What are the differences
2.What are the similarities
WHAT IS BUDDHISM
1.Could Buddhism be defined as a self-help organization
2.Is it true that Buddha is not a religious leader but a psychologist.
3.How much did Buddha know for example what happens after death.
4.Could an atheist be a Buddhist and still maintain his beliefs
EXTRA
1.Do you believe that desire equals suffering
2.Evidence for the existences of Buddha
3.Why are you a Buddhist

I know that some of these may seem like attacks on Buddhism rather than misconceptions but please do consider the fact that most of what I know about Buddhism doesn't come from Buddhists.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2010 5:19:44 PM
At 11/7/2010 6:20:28 AM, vardas0antras wrote:
DIVINITY
1.Do you believe Buddha was God?

No, and no Buddhist does. He's an Enlightened being.

2.Are there people who believe that his divine and if so then are they considered Buddhists?

Yes, there are people who believe Buddha is divine but they aren't considered Buddhists. That's a Hindu belief that Buddha is divine.

3.Since this is about clarification I wont ask you the obvious question of why would anyone consider him divine but it would be nice if you'd respond in one way or another

I honestly don't know why the Hindus consider him divine. I guess they couldn't deny his greatness so they incorporated him into their religion and regard him as a god.

HINDUISM
1.What are the differences

There are many, but I'll just list a few fundamental differences.

Hinduism
God
Souls
Reincarnation
Scripture: Vedas
Founded by many prophets/sages

Buddhism
No God
No Souls
Rebirth
Scipture: Tipitaka/Mahayana Sutras
Founded by one man

2.What are the similarities

Can't think of many. They both believe in liberation and enlightenment, though these play a larger role in Buddhism. They also believe in samsara (cycle of birth and death) and Nirvana.

Karma. Though, Buddhist karma is mere cause and effect, Hindu karma is guided by the gods.

Nirvana. Though, Hindus believe Nirvana is union with the Supreme being, whereas Buddhists believe Nirvana is the extinguishing of the self and is also the void nature of reality.

WHAT IS BUDDHISM
1.Could Buddhism be defined as a self-help organization

No.

2.Is it true that Buddha is not a religious leader but a psychologist.

I would suggest he is a philosopher, religious leader, and psychologist.

3.How much did Buddha know for example what happens after death.

According to the Buddha:

"The extinction of the Blessed One will be by that passing away in which nothing remains that could tend to the formation of another self. Nor will it be possible to point out the Blessed One as being here or there. But it will be like a flame in a great body of blazing fire. That flame has ceased; it has vanished and it cannot be said that it is here or there. In the body of the Dhanna, however, the Blessed One can be pointed out; for the Dharma has been preached by the Blessed One."

"A human being is built up of the four elements. When he dies the earthy in him returns and relapses to the earth, the fluid to the water, the heat to the fire, the windy to the air, and his faculties pass into space."

4.Could an atheist be a Buddhist and still maintain his beliefs

Certainly. In fact, Buddhism itself is Atheistic and Buddha was a Strong Atheist.

See here what Buddha says about God.

the Buddha: "Others think that God is free creator of all things; clinging to these foolish notions, there is no awakening." [Lankavatara Sutra]

the Buddha: "Let us, then, surrender the heresies of worshiping God and praying to him; let us not lose ourselves in vain speculations of profitless subtleties" [Culla Vagga 6:2]

the Buddha: "This position rises the question of a first cause which the philosophers meet by asserting that their first cause, God and the primal elements, are un-born and un-annihilate; which position is without evidence and is irrational." [Lankavatara Sutra]

EXTRA
1.Do you believe that desire equals suffering

No. And Buddhism doesn't necessarily teach that.

2.Evidence for the existences of Buddha

http://www.buddhanet.net...

3.Why are you a Buddhist

I think it is the philosophy that accurately describes reality, the Buddha was awesome, and Buddhism eases the mind.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2010 8:55:52 PM
At 11/7/2010 4:14:37 AM, innomen wrote:
Explain nirvana.

Nirvana is both Ultimate Reality and the experience of Ultimate Reality. (Ultimate reality is Emptiness/Voidness [Sunyata])

Here's what the Buddha said of Nirvana:

"Like a flame that has been blown out by a strong wind goes to rest and cannot be defined, just so the sage who is freed from name and body goes to rest and cannot be defined. For him who has gone to rest there is no measure by means of which one could describe him; that is not for him. When all (dharmas) have gone, all signs of recognition have also gone."
-- the Buddha

"Where there is nothing; where naught is grasped, there is the Isle of No-Beyond. Nirvana do I call it -- the utter extinction of aging and dying." -- the Buddha
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2010 9:05:06 PM
I heard buddhists are vegetarians, is that part of the teachings?

Would Buddha be offended by all the Buddha statues?

If someone attacks a Buddhist, what is the Buddhist supposed to do?
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2010 9:27:45 PM
You believe in Buddha. I can dig that. Why is it silly for me to believe in Jesus and his teachings?
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2010 10:12:48 PM
At 11/7/2010 9:05:06 PM, lovelife wrote:
I heard buddhists are vegetarians, is that part of the teachings?

"Meat should not be eaten under three circumstances: when it is seen or heard or suspected (that a living being has been purposely slaughtered for the eater); these, Jivaka, are the three circumstances in which meat should not be eaten, Jivaka! I declare there are three circumstances in which meat can be eaten: when it is not seen or heard or suspected (that a living being has been purposely slaughtered for the eater); Jivaka, I say these are the three circumstances in which meat can be eaten." [Jivaka Sutta]

According to Kassapa Buddha (an Enlightened being who came before the Buddha): "taking life, beating, wounding, binding, stealing, lying, deceiving, worthless knowledge, adultery; this is stench. Not the eating of meat." (Amagandha Sutta)

Would Buddha be offended by all the Buddha statues?

No. I think a statue serves both as a sign of respect as well as serves as a photographic capture of the historical Buddha given that there were no cameras back then.

If someone attacks a Buddhist, what is the Buddhist supposed to do?

Buddhism forbids killing, not self-defense. Though, a Buddhist would probably first talk the other person out of committing violence.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2010 10:23:27 PM
At 11/7/2010 10:18:15 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
But...meat is delicious! D:

Meat is not prohibited. Even the Buddha ate meat. Buddhism prohibits killing animals.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2010 10:28:31 PM
At 11/7/2010 10:23:27 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Meat is not prohibited. Even the Buddha ate meat. Buddhism prohibits killing animals.

This is interesting. Buddha prohibits killing animals specifically for the purpose of eating. That time, probably there was no knowledge of the fact that plants are living. But now that we know that they are, and that they feel the pain when plucked, Will they modify the scriptures? (going by the essence of his teachings?)
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2010 10:44:06 PM
At 11/7/2010 10:28:31 PM, gerrandesquire wrote:
This is interesting. Buddha prohibits killing animals specifically for the purpose of eating. That time, probably there was no knowledge of the fact that plants are living. But now that we know that they are, and that they feel the pain when plucked, Will they modify the scriptures? (going by the essence of his teachings?)

Just because they are living doesn't mean they have the same capacity for suffering. I seriously doubt that you compare the suffering of a human being to someone stepping on a plant.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2010 10:47:31 PM
Thats actually interesting and matches up with my beliefs. I think INH was onto something when she said I should read into buddhism.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2010 10:48:18 PM

...which would significantly restrict the supply of beef, and thus raise the price considerably.

Seriously, how am I supposed to get a T-bone steak if I'm not allowed to kill cows? What am I supposed to do? Sit and stare and at it and hope it has a heart attack? Wait until it dies of old-age? Any religion that tells me I can't eat beef is out of the question.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2010 10:51:09 PM
At 11/7/2010 10:47:31 PM, lovelife wrote:
Thats actually interesting and matches up with my beliefs. I think INH was onto something when she said I should read into buddhism.

I was. I think you would really like it actually.
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2010 10:55:49 PM
At 11/7/2010 10:44:06 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Just because they are living doesn't mean they have the same capacity for suffering. I seriously doubt that you compare the suffering of a human being to someone stepping on a plant.

They just can't voice their pain. In fact there have been many studies, and it IS accepted overall that plants do feel pain, they do respond to stimulus, and they are as much Human as humans except the can't show locomotion. Veggies and plants initiate a massive hormone and chemical barrage internally when they suffer any kind of injury.

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com...
http://www.department13designs.com...
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2010 11:02:32 PM
At 11/7/2010 10:55:49 PM, gerrandesquire wrote:

They just can't voice their pain. In fact there have been many studies, and it IS accepted overall that plants do feel pain, they do respond to stimulus, and they are as much Human as humans except the can't show locomotion. Veggies and plants initiate a massive hormone and chemical barrage internally when they suffer any kind of injury.

I'm pretty sure they don't feel pain in the same way humans and most animals do. Flies feel pain but to a lesser degree than mice.
I'm not a scientist, but I do believe there is a difference between responding to a stimilus and actually *feeling* pain the way we do.

@INH, I think I'll read into it. When I go to California this spring I'll need something to entertain me on the 4 hour flights and the 15 hour car trips.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2010 11:06:33 PM
At 11/7/2010 10:48:18 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

...which would significantly restrict the supply of beef, and thus raise the price considerably.

People who are not Buddhists can obviously continue producing beef.

Seriously, how am I supposed to get a T-bone steak if I'm not allowed to kill cows?

Hope that others have killed animals in which you did not demand the killing.

What am I supposed to do? Sit and stare and at it and hope it has a heart attack? Wait until it dies of old-age?

That's another possibility.

Any religion that tells me I can't eat beef is out of the question.

And Buddhism is not one of them.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2010 11:13:16 PM
At 11/7/2010 11:02:32 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 11/7/2010 10:55:49 PM, gerrandesquire wrote:

I'm pretty sure they don't feel pain in the same way humans and most animals do. Flies feel pain but to a lesser degree than mice.
I'm not a scientist, but I do believe there is a difference between responding to a stimilus and actually *feeling* pain the way we do.

Veggies and plants initiate a massive hormone and chemical barrage internally when they suffer any kind of injury.

Since they do respond to it, that means they do feel it, right? Just look at the links. Now how can one monitor the *amount* of pain. Basically the end result is the same, they are both getting killed. And since Buddha was against the slaughter of animals for consumption, slaughter of plants should also be considered against the spirit of his teachings. That is what i meant. At that time this knowledge about plants wasn't there, but now we have expanded our knowledge about them, will we modify the teachings?
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 12:21:30 AM
Geo, as you already know, Buddhism interests me.
What exactly are the tenats of Buddhism from your perspective?
What kind of behaviours (sex, drinking, eating, social) did you have to stop/would one have to stop to be able to call themselves Buddhist?
What rituals/ceremonies do you HAVE to practise?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 2:26:03 AM
At 11/7/2010 8:55:52 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/7/2010 4:14:37 AM, innomen wrote:
Explain nirvana.

Nirvana is both Ultimate Reality and the experience of Ultimate Reality. (Ultimate reality is Emptiness/Voidness [Sunyata])

Here's what the Buddha said of Nirvana:

"Like a flame that has been blown out by a strong wind goes to rest and cannot be defined, just so the sage who is freed from name and body goes to rest and cannot be defined. For him who has gone to rest there is no measure by means of which one could describe him; that is not for him. When all (dharmas) have gone, all signs of recognition have also gone."
-- the Buddha

A really good example of gobbledygook (and i am being kind).

"Where there is nothing; where naught is grasped, there is the Isle of No-Beyond. Nirvana do I call it -- the utter extinction of aging and dying." -- the Buddha
Oy.

Ultimate reality? Geo, what is that? It's just another vague term. Be precise and clear in the definition - in fact try using your own words. Can only Buddhists experience this "Ultimate reality"?
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 2:32:57 AM
'Nother question. Why is the Dali Lama the leader? What merits his position. You have said that there is nothing in the reincarnation thing that actually is in the teachings of Buddha, but i was with the understanding that the leader was chosen because of his reincarnation status. Don't they sort of analyze the poop of a 2 year old to determine if he is royal?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 10:27:17 AM
At 11/7/2010 9:27:45 PM, MarquisX wrote:
You believe in Buddha. I can dig that. Why is it silly for me to believe in Jesus and his teachings?

Because their teachings are not the same. Ones teachings are rational, the others teachings, not so much.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 10:33:18 AM
At 11/8/2010 12:21:30 AM, tvellalott wrote:
Geo, as you already know, Buddhism interests me.
What exactly are the tenats of Buddhism from your perspective?

Well, Im not going to describe all the tenets of Buddhism. That's a lot of writing.

What kind of behaviours (sex, drinking, eating, social) did you have to stop/would one have to stop to be able to call themselves Buddhist?

None at all. Only monks must rerfrain from things like that. Just like Catholic priests can't get married and must remain celebate, but Catholics themselves don't have the same rules.

What rituals/ceremonies do you HAVE to practise?

None are required except maybe meditation.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 10:47:46 AM
Buddhism prohibits killing animals.

why?
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."