Total Posts:74|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

WHY I LEFT ISLAM - A Saudi Apostate's Story.

bussta33
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 4:43:30 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
https://www.youtube.com...

This video is a little more personal than my others, but I feel like I need to get this off my chest as it's something I've been walking around with for a long time.
Coming out as an ex Muslim is something that many people compare to coming out as gay in the 70's. Apostasy is a crime in every theocracy remaining, and Muslim apostates face threats, torture, and discrimination in those countries for their entire lives.
Today, I want to talk to y'all about my experience with Islam, and how I was able to finally escape it. Hope you enjoy.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 5:25:34 AM
At 2/29/2016 4:43:30 AM, bussta33 wrote:
This video is a little more personal than my others, but I feel like I need to get this off my chest as it's something I've been walking around with for a long time.
Coming out as an ex Muslim is something that many people compare to coming out as gay in the 70's. Apostasy is a crime in every theocracy remaining, and Muslim apostates face threats, torture, and discrimination in those countries for their entire lives.
Today, I want to talk to y'all about my experience with Islam, and how I was able to finally escape it. Hope you enjoy.

Bussta, thank you for linking here. I agree with your estimation of the difficulty of this challenge coming from an intensely religious conservative community. I admire your courage, compassion and honesty. Your story illustrates why science doesn't itself refute religion, but does enable brave, curious, kind minds like yours to contest the worst of religious superstition, injustice and cruelty.

I think it's important that you tell your story, because for every former Muslim like yourself who finds a kinder, more honest, more examined life outside Islam, there are dozens of others, even more scared, who nevertheless wonder whether that can be true.

They need to know that it is, and I believe it's best to hear it from the mouths of those who understand what they're going through.

I agree with your final point: Islam needs to change. Tyrannous, intolerant and xenophobic, it is not yet suited for a place as a modern world religion. But we differ in this respect: I believe in the intelligence, dignity and kindness of ordinary Muslims just as I believe in the intelligence, dignity and kindness of ordinary Christians, Jews, Hindus and Buddhists. Some will leave their faith; some will stay to reform it, given the chance to have free discussion, and to see full accountability for the history of their faith and the workings of the world.

I hope your family will understand and support your decision, but I hope that you will continue to believe in them too, even if they do not share your beliefs.

With best wishes,

Ruv.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 7:43:00 PM

I think that Islam, being a relatively young religion, is where Christianity was when it was the same age, somewhat juvenile and zealous. You can see examples of Christianity's juvenile excesses in the Inquisition, the Crusades, and the number of atrocities committed in the name of that faith from the Constantine period up through the Middle Ages. Even now, in some developing countries where it is still young, homosexuals are executed and other such extreme actions are taken in its name. As Christianity has had to interact more and more with secularly educated populations it has changed to a large extent and become less secure in its right to harm and take the lives of those who are different. That is not to say that all Christians have evolved along with the majority. There are throwbacks that want to drag both Christianity and the world as a whole backward to when the church (i.e. they) decided what was right and took any measure they deemed suitable to correct 'wrongdoing'.

I believe that Islam will mature, grow, and as education and knowledge spread among the Islamic population more and more will feel as you do, that those barbaric parts of the faith must be shed and the inclusive and beneficial part emphasized. Perhaps I am being too optimistic but the pattern is common if not exactly the same for every belief system.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 8:21:19 PM

If those were your reasons for leaving Islam you might have a problem explaining why 1.6 billion Muslims are sticking with Islam and why their numbers are growing.

You gave evolution as one reason for opening your mind. All you accepted were theories that your common ancestors were monkeys. How is that science? You exchanged your humanity for a primate worldview, you have become a monkey believer.

You gave the Big Bang as the other reason. You gave up the tranquility of prayer for some theory of loud noises and black holes. Now you would rather stare into the vastness of empty space than to offer prayer and thanks to the one who created the univers, you gave up all that for some theory of loud noises and black holes. Pretty shallow reasons.

There were some terrible scenes in your video. Using crude instruments to decapitate bodies always look worse that the surgical weapons of mass destruction that can in an instant vapourize 100s of 1000s of innocent civilians populations, like the nuclear bombs used in Japan or the carpet bombing in Vietnam and other populated cities.

You spent too much time watching videos and TV instead of studying history and the plight of the Middle East.
But as a Saudi your country played a major role in the 9/11 bombing which turned the world against Islam. 15 of the 19 hijackers were from Saudi Arabia. You have not only betrayed your American friends, you are now betraying Islam.

Peace be upon you for leaving Islam.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 8:56:27 PM
People like you are one of the reasons he left. You can justify anything you want to do in the name of your personal fiction.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 9:51:40 PM
At 2/29/2016 8:56:27 PM, dhardage wrote:
People like you are one of the reasons he left. You can justify anything you want to do in the name of your personal fiction.

You don't even know that Islam and Hinduism are two different religions. What are you doing on a religious forum,? You are too ignorant to participate in intelligent discussions on religion.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 9:59:26 PM
At 2/29/2016 9:51:40 PM, Harikrish wrote:

You don't even know that Islam and Hinduism are two different religions. What are you doing on a religious forum,? You are too ignorant to participate in intelligent discussions on religion.

The particular religion is irrelevant. People like you, people who can deny facts and prefer their particular individual fictions to reality are always the radical, the fundamentalists and the zealots that give religion a bad name. You're the people who burn 'witches', hang atheists, and behead apostates, just to name a few of the ongoing atrocities in the world. As for intelligence, I'll take what I've got over what you have going on in your head any day of the week.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 9:59:40 PM

Read Revelationfrom the Bible. Your God, prophet, and Kaaba cube were fortold.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 10:11:54 PM
At 2/29/2016 9:59:40 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Why do you need Revelations to educate you about religions that existed before they were established.
Stronn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 11:37:27 PM

I congratulate you for freeing your mind from dogma. It takes intellectual courage to admit that a large part of the culture in which you grew up is based on irrational superstition. It takes more courage still to share your story with others, considering the cruel intolerance Islam has for apostates.
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2016 1:06:08 AM
- Atheists rushing to groom a new convert to their worldview. Beautiful!
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2016 2:14:15 AM
At 3/1/2016 1:06:08 AM, Yassine wrote:

Islam is good about rushing people to wish "Allah" didn't exist. Allah can't be trusted so why would they want him to exist. Of course Allah is a poka dotted unicorn.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2016 2:22:52 AM

No comment on the substance of the post or video?
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2016 2:39:08 AM
At 3/1/2016 2:22:52 AM, TBR wrote:

No comment on the substance of the post or video?

- None. One of the most generic & unintelligent apostasy stories I've ever heard, nothing of substance except too much personal sensitivities & too little actual thought. Beside, I doubt the guy's been truthful. Everything he said is at odds with his claim of being Saudi. Can't say I am disappointed though, I mean that's just generic textbook anti-religious rhetoric.
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2016 3:55:29 AM
At 2/29/2016 8:21:19 PM, Harikrish wrote:

If those were your reasons for leaving Islam you might have a problem explaining why 1.6 billion Muslims are sticking with Islam and why their numbers are growing.

You gave evolution as one reason for opening your mind. All you accepted were theories that your common ancestors were monkeys. How is that science? You exchanged your humanity for a primate worldview, you have become a monkey believer.

Yes, evolution is based on science. Hindus think evolution is silly because they know better. Here is a much more reasonable theory:

Rigveda (a god, of course) had being come into existence as a cosmic egg, hiranyagarbha (a golden egg). All things were made out of the mangled limbs of Purusha, a magnified non-natural man, who was sacrificed by the gods. In the Puranas, Vishnu, in the shape of a boar, plunged into the cosmic waters and brought forth the earth (Bhumi or Prithivi).

The Shatapatha Brahmana says that in the beginning, Prajapati, the first creator or father of all, was alone in the world. He differentiated himself into two beings, husband and wife. The wife, regarding union with her producer as incest, fled from his embraces assuming various animal disguises. The husband pursued in the form of the male of each animal, and from these unions sprang the various species of beasts (Shatapatha Brahmana, xiv. 4, 2). Prajapati was soon replaced with Brahma in the Puranas.

In the Puranas, Brahma the creator was joined in a divine triad with Vishnu and Maheshvara (Shiva), who were the preserver and destroyer, respectively. The universe was created by Brahma, preserved by Vishnu, and destroyed for the next creation by Shiva. However, the birth of Brahma was attributed to Vishnu in some myths. Brahma was often depicted as sitting on a lotus arising from the navel of Vishnu, who was resting on the cosmic serpent, Ananta (Shesha). In the very beginning Vishnu alone was there. When Vishnu thought about creation, Brahma was created from a lotus that came from his navel.

You gave the Big Bang as the other reason. You gave up the tranquility of prayer for some theory of loud noises and black holes. Now you would rather stare into the vastness of empty space than to offer prayer and thanks to the one who created the univers, you gave up all that for some theory of loud noises and black holes. Pretty shallow reasons.

It may feel lonely when you lose the imaginary friend you spent so much time talking to but the upside is you get to live a life based on truth and freedom from control of thought and action.

There were some terrible scenes in your video. Using crude instruments to decapitate bodies always look worse that the surgical weapons of mass destruction that can in an instant vapourize 100s of 1000s of innocent civilians populations, like the nuclear bombs used in Japan or the carpet bombing in Vietnam and other populated cities.

You spent too much time watching videos and TV instead of studying history and the plight of the Middle East.
But as a Saudi your country played a major role in the 9/11 bombing which turned the world against Islam. 15 of the 19 hijackers were from Saudi Arabia. You have not only betrayed your American friends, you are now betraying Islam.

His crime is being born into a country that indoctrinated him into a religion he never asked for. I used to be Christian. If changing my mind means I "betrayed" Christianity, I'm proud of it and glad I did. I wish I did it sooner because you are the kind of person that represents what religion is all about.

Peace will be upon him for leaving Islam.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2016 4:12:28 AM
@Harikrish I just debated that evolution is a more reasonable theory than Christian Creationism. I dare you to debate me on why you think Hinduism's story of creationism is a more reasonable theory than evolution.

You'll never do it because you know how ridiculous that would look.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2016 1:30:09 PM
- I thought he left Islam because he found the mistaken of Islam or the error in Quran.
- The speaker is sound an american native speaker instead of an arab guy.
- The speaker didn't provide any logical reason for leaving islam but all about the killing issue.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2016 1:36:57 PM

Childish crap.
Mummy I wanna see the dragon and the fluffy swords and how some dude speaks "coherently" (remember) with a sword in his mouth? Oh that's right mummy he can't.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2016 1:40:15 PM
At 3/1/2016 4:12:28 AM, matt8800 wrote:
@Harikrish I just debated that evolution is a more reasonable theory than Christian Creationism. I dare you to debate me on why you think Hinduism's story of creationism is a more reasonable theory than evolution.

Hey Matt Hari preaches the hebrew creation story, you know the one in the bible.
Ain't that so Hari.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2016 1:59:28 PM
At 3/1/2016 1:36:57 PM, bulproof wrote:

Childish crap.
Mummy I wanna see the dragon and the fluffy swords and how some dude speaks "coherently" (remember) with a sword in his mouth? Oh that's right mummy he can't.

If you don't understand that the sword is truth that would explain a lot.

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2016 2:10:04 PM
At 3/1/2016 1:59:28 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Childish crap.

Yes sweety. It says so in the "goat shaggers guide to the universe". A book by "who gives a f*ck"
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2016 2:13:28 PM

Start one up. I'll debate it, and I'm not even Hindu.

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2016 2:19:13 PM
At 3/1/2016 3:55:29 AM, matt8800 wrote:

Pretty sure Hindu creationism isn't incompatible with evolution - Hinduism actually accepts evolution.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2016 2:49:01 PM
At 3/1/2016 2:10:04 PM, bulproof wrote:

Childish crap.

Yes sweety. It says so in the "goat shaggers guide to the universe". A book by "who gives a f*ck"

Yeah? What does it say?

Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2016 2:54:12 PM
At 3/1/2016 3:55:29 AM, matt8800 wrote:
At 2/29/2016 8:21:19 PM, Harikrish wrote:

Yes, evolution is based on science. Hindus think evolution is silly because they know better. Here is a much more reasonable theory:

Rigveda (a god, of course) had being come into existence as a cosmic egg, hiranyagarbha (a golden egg). All things were made out of the mangled limbs of Purusha, a magnified non-natural man, who was sacrificed by the gods. In the Puranas, Vishnu, in the shape of a boar, plunged into the cosmic waters and brought forth the earth (Bhumi or Prithivi).

The Shatapatha Brahmana says that in the beginning, Prajapati, the first creator or father of all, was alone in the world. He differentiated himself into two beings, husband and wife. The wife, regarding union with her producer as incest, fled from his embraces assuming various animal disguises. The husband pursued in the form of the male of each animal, and from these unions sprang the various species of beasts (Shatapatha Brahmana, xiv. 4, 2). Prajapati was soon replaced with Brahma in the Puranas.

In the Puranas, Brahma the creator was joined in a divine triad with Vishnu and Maheshvara (Shiva), who were the preserver and destroyer, respectively. The universe was created by Brahma, preserved by Vishnu, and destroyed for the next creation by Shiva. However, the birth of Brahma was attributed to Vishnu in some myths. Brahma was often depicted as sitting on a lotus arising from the navel of Vishnu, who was resting on the cosmic serpent, Ananta (Shesha). In the very beginning Vishnu alone was there. When Vishnu thought about creation, Brahma was created from a lotus that came from his navel.

It may feel lonely when you lose the imaginary friend you spent so much time talking to but the upside is you get to live a life based on truth and freedom from control of thought and action.

His crime is being born into a country that indoctrinated him into a religion he never asked for. I used to be Christian. If changing my mind means I "betrayed" Christianity, I'm proud of it and glad I did. I wish I did it sooner because you are the kind of person that represents what religion is all about.

That is a polite way to say good riddance to bad rubbish.
Islam is a religion of peace. Muslims are very polite people.

Peace will be upon him for leaving Islam.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2016 2:55:23 PM

Childish crap.

Does it upset you that the prophecies match because God might now be real, which is not what you want? Is that what is happening here?

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2016 3:04:47 PM
At 3/1/2016 2:55:23 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Childish crap.

Does it upset you that the prophecies match because God might now be real, which is not what you want? Is that what is happening here?
I keep asking for the prophesies that you claim are being fulfilled and you just rant about what has happened since before your alleged prophesies were prophesied.

Oy Ugg have you ever seen a earffquake? As a matter of fact Ogg i most certainly 'ave.
Now ven 'ave you ever seen a volcano Ogg? Well Ugg I've gotta say vat I haven't, but me mum was killed by one, I were just a littlun at ve time.
So have you ever seen a god Ugg...........................don't be daft.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2016 3:25:34 PM
At 3/1/2016 1:40:15 PM, bulproof wrote:

Hey Matt Hari preaches the hebrew creation story, you know the one in the bible.
Ain't that so Hari.

He can pick any ridiculous mythological story he wants.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2016 3:27:09 PM

Ain't that so Hari.

He can pick any mythological story he wants, no matter how ridiculous.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2016 3:31:31 PM
At 3/1/2016 3:27:09 PM, matt8800 wrote:

Ain't that so Hari.

He can pick any mythological story he wants, no matter how ridiculous.
TWO thumbs up mate, even though I only have one the f*ckin' saw got the other one.