Jump to topic:

exegete or eisegete?

rnjs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 11:28:08 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
When it comes to reading scripture, are you an exegete or an eisegete. I suspect from the comments on this and other debating sites, most atheist/agnostic and theistic evolutionists are eisegetes.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 11:34:37 PM
At 2/29/2016 11:28:08 PM, rnjs wrote:
When it comes to reading scripture, are you an exegete or an eisegete. I suspect from the comments on this and other debating sites, most atheist/agnostic and theistic evolutionists are eisegetes.

I'm sure we all like to think of ourselves as exegetes, but we end up in eisegeses instead sometimes.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Danb6177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 11:36:01 PM

I think to properly understand the message God has for us we should be both.
Stronn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 11:54:44 PM

Thanks. My vocabulary has now increased by two words.

I disagree with your speculation that most atheists/agnostics are eisegetes. I think most of us interpret scripture as more or less meaning what it says. That's why we reject it. We find much of what it says to be implausible.

I agree with you to some extent that theistic evolutionists are eisegetes. A subjective interpretation is the only way they can square the words of scripture with modern scientific knowledge.