Jump to topic:

exegete or eisegete?

rnjs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 11:28:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
When it comes to reading scripture, are you an exegete or an eisegete. I suspect from the comments on this and other debating sites, most atheist/agnostic and theistic evolutionists are eisegetes.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 11:34:37 PM
At 2/29/2016 11:28:08 PM, rnjs wrote:
When it comes to reading scripture, are you an exegete or an eisegete. I suspect from the comments on this and other debating sites, most atheist/agnostic and theistic evolutionists are eisegetes.

I'm sure we all like to think of ourselves as exegetes, but we end up in eisegeses instead sometimes.
"When a wise man has a controversy with a foolish man, the foolish man either rages or laughs, and there is no rest." ~Proverbs 29:9

"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Danb6177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 11:36:01 PM

I think to properly understand the message God has for us we should be both.
Stronn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 11:54:44 PM

Thanks. My vocabulary has now increased by two words.

I disagree with your speculation that most atheists/agnostics are eisegetes. I think most of us interpret scripture as more or less meaning what it says. That's why we reject it. We find much of what it says to be implausible.

I agree with you to some extent that theistic evolutionists are eisegetes. A subjective interpretation is the only way they can square the words of scripture with modern scientific knowledge.