Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

W.L. Craig: 'God cannot exist'

Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2010 11:17:22 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Ok.... William Lane Craig isn't really an ex Christian, and he didn't really claim that God cannot exist. However, at first glance, he seems to imply this much. Perhaps he misspoke.

Just watch from 4:55 until 5:10.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2010 11:57:47 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
He does say "philosophically" impossible. Just because it's philosophically impossible, doesn't mean it isn't physically impossible... does it? o.O;
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 12:18:14 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/7/2010 11:57:47 PM, tvellalott wrote:
He does say "philosophically" impossible. Just because it's philosophically impossible, doesn't mean it isn't physically impossible... does it? o.O;

If you're using "philosophical" in a sense that implies objective truth value, then it does mean that.
InquireTruth
Posts: 723
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 12:21:47 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/7/2010 11:17:22 PM, Freeman wrote:
Ok.... William Lane Craig isn't really an ex Christian, and he didn't really claim that God cannot exist. However, at first glance, he seems to imply this much. Perhaps he misspoke.

It IS philosophically impossible for a single material object (e.g. a human being) to occupy two or more physical places in time simultaneously.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 12:24:04 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/8/2010 12:21:47 AM, InquireTruth wrote:
At 11/7/2010 11:17:22 PM, Freeman wrote:
Ok.... William Lane Craig isn't really an ex Christian, and he didn't really claim that God cannot exist. However, at first glance, he seems to imply this much. Perhaps he misspoke.

It IS philosophically impossible for a single material object (e.g. a human being) to occupy two or more physical places in time simultaneously.

Why use the word philosophical? Remove it completely from the sentence, same meaning.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 12:26:13 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/8/2010 12:24:04 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 11/8/2010 12:21:47 AM, InquireTruth wrote:
At 11/7/2010 11:17:22 PM, Freeman wrote:
Ok.... William Lane Craig isn't really an ex Christian, and he didn't really claim that God cannot exist. However, at first glance, he seems to imply this much. Perhaps he misspoke.

It IS philosophically impossible for a single material object (e.g. a human being) to occupy two or more physical places in time simultaneously.

Why use the word philosophical? Remove it completely from the sentence, same meaning.

Remove the phrases "the word" and "completely from the sentence" from your sentence. Same meaning.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 12:34:35 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/8/2010 12:26:13 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 11/8/2010 12:24:04 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 11/8/2010 12:21:47 AM, InquireTruth wrote:
At 11/7/2010 11:17:22 PM, Freeman wrote:
Ok.... William Lane Craig isn't really an ex Christian, and he didn't really claim that God cannot exist. However, at first glance, he seems to imply this much. Perhaps he misspoke.

It IS philosophically impossible for a single material object (e.g. a human being) to occupy two or more physical places in time simultaneously.

Why use the word philosophical? Remove it completely from the sentence, same meaning.

Remove the phrases "the word" and "completely from the sentence" from your sentence. Same meaning.

You're right in that case, but if I had said "Philosophically remove it completely from the sentence", it would mean something different. So, why add a meaningful word like philosophical to THAT particular sentence?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 12:38:51 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/8/2010 12:34:35 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 11/8/2010 12:26:13 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 11/8/2010 12:24:04 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 11/8/2010 12:21:47 AM, InquireTruth wrote:
At 11/7/2010 11:17:22 PM, Freeman wrote:
Ok.... William Lane Craig isn't really an ex Christian, and he didn't really claim that God cannot exist. However, at first glance, he seems to imply this much. Perhaps he misspoke.

It IS philosophically impossible for a single material object (e.g. a human being) to occupy two or more physical places in time simultaneously.

Why use the word philosophical? Remove it completely from the sentence, same meaning.

Remove the phrases "the word" and "completely from the sentence" from your sentence. Same meaning.

You're right in that case, but if I had said "Philosophically remove it completely from the sentence", it would mean something different. So, why add a meaningful word like philosophical to THAT particular sentence?

Rhetorical flourish, perhaps. Perhaps, like Freeman noted, he misspoke. Perhaps he was using the term to distinguish his meaning from pure scientific empiricism. I don't know, because I haven't asked him. I'd say you're reading far too much into it, ascribing certain sorts of meaning where none exists.
InquireTruth
Posts: 723
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 12:39:04 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/8/2010 12:24:04 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 11/8/2010 12:21:47 AM, InquireTruth wrote:
At 11/7/2010 11:17:22 PM, Freeman wrote:
Ok.... William Lane Craig isn't really an ex Christian, and he didn't really claim that God cannot exist. However, at first glance, he seems to imply this much. Perhaps he misspoke.

It IS philosophically impossible for a single material object (e.g. a human being) to occupy two or more physical places in time simultaneously.

Why use the word philosophical? Remove it completely from the sentence, same meaning.

Because I watched to video and was using it as a reference to what WLC said. Given that WLC is a notable philosopher of time, ascribing to the A-theory, we have good reasons for believing that his affirmation of the aforementioned is philosophical.
InquireTruth
Posts: 723
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 12:40:10 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/8/2010 12:39:04 AM, InquireTruth wrote:
At 11/8/2010 12:24:04 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 11/8/2010 12:21:47 AM, InquireTruth wrote:
At 11/7/2010 11:17:22 PM, Freeman wrote:
Ok.... William Lane Craig isn't really an ex Christian, and he didn't really claim that God cannot exist. However, at first glance, he seems to imply this much. Perhaps he misspoke.

It IS philosophically impossible for a single material object (e.g. a human being) to occupy two or more physical places in time simultaneously.

Why use the word philosophical? Remove it completely from the sentence, same meaning.

Because I watched the video and was using it as a reference to what WLC said. Given that WLC is a notable philosopher of time, ascribing to the A-theory, we have good reasons for believing that his affirmation of the aforementioned is philosophical.
fixed
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 1:42:04 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/8/2010 12:38:51 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 11/8/2010 12:34:35 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 11/8/2010 12:26:13 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 11/8/2010 12:24:04 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 11/8/2010 12:21:47 AM, InquireTruth wrote:
At 11/7/2010 11:17:22 PM, Freeman wrote:
Ok.... William Lane Craig isn't really an ex Christian, and he didn't really claim that God cannot exist. However, at first glance, he seems to imply this much. Perhaps he misspoke.

It IS philosophically impossible for a single material object (e.g. a human being) to occupy two or more physical places in time simultaneously.

Why use the word philosophical? Remove it completely from the sentence, same meaning.

Remove the phrases "the word" and "completely from the sentence" from your sentence. Same meaning.

You're right in that case, but if I had said "Philosophically remove it completely from the sentence", it would mean something different. So, why add a meaningful word like philosophical to THAT particular sentence?

Rhetorical flourish, perhaps. Perhaps, like Freeman noted, he misspoke. Perhaps he was using the term to distinguish his meaning from pure scientific empiricism. I don't know, because I haven't asked him. I'd say you're reading far too much into it, ascribing certain sorts of meaning where none exists.

The phrase we're refering to is the one OP mentioned.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
TheSkeptic
Posts: 1,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2010 2:07:05 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/8/2010 12:44:25 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 11/8/2010 12:39:04 AM, InquireTruth wrote:
A-theory

What?

A-series and B-series of time refer to two different terms of reference when talking about the nature of time. I believe it was McTaggart who coined them. A brief Wiki or Google search would suffice.
TheSkeptic
Posts: 1,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2010 2:09:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/9/2010 2:07:05 PM, TheSkeptic wrote:
At 11/8/2010 12:44:25 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 11/8/2010 12:39:04 AM, InquireTruth wrote:
A-theory

What?

A-series and B-series of time refer to two different terms of reference when talking about the nature of time. I believe it was McTaggart who coined them. A brief Wiki or Google search would suffice.

http://www.ditext.com...

^The influential paper in which these terms are introduced (and in which McTaggart argues time is an illusion, he is an idealist).
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2010 2:18:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/9/2010 2:09:53 PM, TheSkeptic wrote:
At 11/9/2010 2:07:05 PM, TheSkeptic wrote:
At 11/8/2010 12:44:25 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 11/8/2010 12:39:04 AM, InquireTruth wrote:
A-theory

What?

A-series and B-series of time refer to two different terms of reference when talking about the nature of time. I believe it was McTaggart who coined them. A brief Wiki or Google search would suffice.

http://www.ditext.com...

^The influential paper in which these terms are introduced (and in which McTaggart argues time is an illusion, he is an idealist).

Danke sehr.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2010 2:20:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
He might believe that for an absent being, it is impossible to be at two different locations, but for an omnipresent being, it is not.
pachomius
Posts: 24
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 6:13:18 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/7/2010 11:17:22 PM, Freeman wrote:
Ok.... William Lane Craig isn't really an ex Christian, and he didn't really claim that God cannot exist. However, at first glance, he seems to imply this much. Perhaps he misspoke.

Just watch from 4:55 until 5:10.

What exactly is your point in this thread?

The Craig you are referring to is an Evangelical Christian apologist who upholds the idea that God cannot not exist.

You just want to point out that in some words of Craig in your understanding he says God cannot exist?

But that is an exercise in futility, because you have to get the essential thought of a man from as much of his words as you can, not from only some words in isolation from the rest of his words he has spoken and is still speaking as he lives, and they indicate a uniform essential direction, that God cannot not exist.

Pachomius