Jump to topic:

So childish..

TREssspa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 10:07:29 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
Christianity says love god, god loves you. Something like that. Doesn't it sound like, for the lack of a better word, childish. I mean how can a mature man digest this absurd statement.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 10:44:50 AM
At 3/2/2016 10:07:29 AM, TREssspa wrote:
Christianity says love god, god loves you. Something like that. Doesn't it sound like, for the lack of a better word, childish. I mean how can a mature man digest this absurd statement.

Surely you aren't claiming to be mature, Hari?
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 12:14:33 PM

in life u have to understand something... look at ppl's actions not words. they just talk in air nothing more. actions tells u who r u.
Never fart near dog
VirBinarus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 7:02:21 PM

I struggle to get the obsurdness
"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."
1 thessalonians, 5:11
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 8:59:50 PM

Christianity is no more ridiculous than Hinduism. Don't you guys drink cow pee?
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 9:23:37 PM
At 3/2/2016 8:59:50 PM, janesix wrote:

"Hindu worshippers in India believe that drinking fresh cow urine will help prevent cancer. Hindus believe the cow to be a sacred animal and claim that the urine has divine healing properties. Jairam Singhal is a firm believer in its health benefits and has been drinking it for over a decade.Jan 13, 2014"

Those beliefs are correlated with low cancer rates among Hindus.
Coming soon to a McDonald near you. Finally a true health drink, "Cow urine offers a cure for around 70 to 80 incurable diseases like diabetes. All are curable by cow urine," Om Prakash, the head of the RSS Cow Protection Department, told Reuters by phone.

Hindus plan cow urine drink to rival Western sodas.
http://www.reuters.com...
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 9:25:30 PM
At 3/2/2016 9:23:37 PM, Harikrish wrote:

"Hindu worshippers in India believe that drinking fresh cow urine will help prevent cancer. Hindus believe the cow to be a sacred animal and claim that the urine has divine healing properties. Jairam Singhal is a firm believer in its health benefits and has been drinking it for over a decade.Jan 13, 2014"

Coming soon to a McDonald near you. Finally a true health drink, "Cow urine offers a cure for around 70 to 80 incurable diseases like diabetes. All are curable by cow urine," Om Prakash, the head of the RSS Cow Protection Department, told Reuters by phone.

Yum. I can't wait to trade in my Pepsi for cow pee.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 9:31:43 PM
At 3/2/2016 9:25:30 PM, janesix wrote:

Why, do you have health issues, a little obese perhaps?
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 9:35:40 PM
At 3/2/2016 9:31:43 PM, Harikrish wrote:

Can a person be a "little" obese?

Why are you fishing for something to insult me with? I've already let it be known that I'm schizophrenic/Schizoaffective. Why don't you make fun of that? That one's easy.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 9:53:05 PM
At 3/2/2016 9:35:40 PM, janesix wrote:

Why are you fishing for something to insult me with? I've already let it be known that I'm schizophrenic/Schizoaffective. Why don't you make fun of that? That one's easy.

Why would I want to insult anyone over a health drink?
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 9:55:37 PM
At 3/2/2016 9:53:05 PM, Harikrish wrote:

Because you will insult people over anything. Now, why is that? I used to think bullies have low self-esteem, but I don't think that's the case. I think bullies just LIKE being a$$holes. It makes you feel good or something. Am I right?
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 10:38:46 PM
Christianity says love god, god loves you. Something like that. Doesn't it sound like, for the lack of a better word, childish.
Yes, TRE. To me it sounds infantile.

But all presuppositional assertions that the universe is morally ordered seem naive and infantile to me: magical thinking put above evidence, and infantile dependence put beyond accountability for ignorance, error and self-interest.

I think it's fine to ask whether the universe might be morally ordered, to think about what morality means objectively, and how we can recognise it physically, and thus to consider what the physical evidence for or against that might be. I think that can be a very illuminating set of questions.

However, I don't think it's fine to start from the presupposition that it is, and then seek supporting evidence to prop up one's cultural traditions, traditional authorities, myths and conceits.

It's not fine to do that at all, TRE. It's patronising, corrupt and manipulative, and demands people comport themselves uncritically, like children in order to accept it, and when you inflict it on the ignorant and vulnerable -- like children, and the ill-educated -- it's intellectual and emotional abuse: damaging minds. It can lead to cruelty, injustice, intolerance and bigotry. (You've suffered that here, which I regret. But I've also seen you inflict it here, which I regret too.)

You've noticed this infantile thought in Christianity, where I agree: if you're not raised Christian, it's fairly easy to notice. But can you also notice it among the traditional beliefs of your own culture too -- both those you've embraced, and those you haven't?

if you can't, then perhaps you're also a victim of it, TRE. But perhaps seeing it in Christians may help you at least guess how being raised in such traditions can make one susceptible to their abuses, since -- as you're aware -- two billion Christians of all manner of intelligence and education accept such beliefs at face value.

Anyway, it's a good question, but I think the ramifications go further than the way you've framed it. I think it's cause for reflection in all of us, and hope this response may be useful.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 11:06:31 PM
At 3/2/2016 9:55:37 PM, janesix wrote:

Because you will insult people over anything. Now, why is that? I used to think bullies have low self-esteem, but I don't think that's the case. I think bullies just LIKE being a$$holes. It makes you feel good or something. Am I right?

Nothing makes me feel so good than when I am being sorrounded by people interested in spirituality. DDO is the ideal platform because we have a healthy mix of scripturally illiterate Christians and dedicated monkey believers and a bunch of menaupausal virgins that makes spiritual pursuits the only available option for the misguided men who come here looking for love.
You focus too much on a common piece of human anatomy the a$$hole. Try setting your sights on something more appealing.
http://www.meditationiseasy.com...
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 11:09:58 PM
At 3/2/2016 11:06:31 PM, Harikrish wrote:

Nothing makes me feel so good than when I am being sorrounded by people interested in spirituality. DDO is the ideal platform because we have a healthy mix of scripturally illiterate Christians and dedicated monkey believers and a bunch of menaupausal virgins that makes spiritual pursuits the only available option for the misguided men who come here looking for love.
You focus too much on a common piece of human anatomy the a$$hole. Try setting your sights on something more appealing.

You forgot to answer my question, as to why you are a bully? Have you been that way your whole life, or is it something you had to work at and build up to?
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 11:21:42 PM
At 3/2/2016 11:09:58 PM, janesix wrote:

You forgot to answer my question, as to why you are a bully? Have you been that way your whole life, or is it something you had to work at and build up to?

I am not a bully. That goes against my most spiritual member status. But I am a champion for Christianity, the David of Goliaths, a dragon slayer of sorts. I even have a list of members who have befriended me. How great is that?!!!
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 11:23:14 PM
At 3/2/2016 11:21:42 PM, Harikrish wrote:

I am not a bully. That goes against my most spiritual member status. But I am a champion for Christianity, the David of Goliaths, a dragon slayer of sorts. I even have a list of members who have befriended me. How great is that?!!!

A self-confident bully would admit it. Are you a coward as well as a bully?
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 11:31:51 PM
At 3/2/2016 11:23:14 PM, janesix wrote:

Isn't your statement an oxymoron. You are obviously not your usual self today. Your mood swings are showing. You picked the wrong period to socialize.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 11:51:42 PM
At 3/2/2016 11:31:51 PM, Harikrish wrote:

Isn't your statement an oxymoron. You are obviously not your usual self today. Your mood swings are showing. You picked the wrong period to socialize.

I have a mean streak too, I just don't enjoy it the way you do. I feel guilty about it when it happens. I think you would feel more spiritually enlightened if you would take the time to take a look at yourself and how you treat other people.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 12:01:51 AM
At 3/2/2016 11:51:42 PM, janesix wrote:
At 3/2/2016 11:31:51 PM, Harikrish wrote:

I have a mean streak too, I just don't enjoy it the way you do. I feel guilty about it when it happens. I think you would feel more spiritually enlightened if you would take the time to take a look at yourself and how you treat other people.

Maybe you should read what others have to say about Harikrish.

http://www.debate.org...

At 8/22/2015 12:09:59 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
In a recent shock announcement in the Nominations thread [http://www.debate.org...], our beloved colleague, the sensitive, compassionate and humble Harikrish revealed:

At 8/21/2015 10:12:35 PM, Harikrish wrote:
Even if I was nominated I would have to decline because I don't fit in any of the categories listed. What is missing is 6. Most spiritual member.
As a Vedantist raised in the Vedantic tradition and trained in the reading of esoteric scriptures, Christian Theology and Islamic fundamentalism. My spiritual aura alone would blind my detractors.

Since spirituality is a concern to many members in the Religion thread, I would like to cordially invite our Most Spiritual Member to explain it to us. In particular:

* What is spirituality?
* Is it inborn or developed? Can you improve it? How?
* How can we recognise just how spiritual a member is? Frankly, Hari, you knocked my socks off when you explained that you'd appraised everyone and pronounced yourself spiritually superior to us all. I didn't even know one could do that over the Internet. Please explain all!
* What is an 'aura'? How can it be detected?
* Just how bright does it have to be to blind you; is the blindness permanent or (hopefully) only just passingly impressive? Which part of the body is actually blinded, and is there any lasting damage?
* Does one have to learn Islamic fundamentalism to be spiritual? Does studying the Qur'an but taking a liberal interpretation on it count?
* Which esoteric scriptures are recommended, just how does one make any sense of them, and how can one be sure one's sense is correct?
* Universal Theologian has previously argued that atheists aren't spiritual. Would you agree, Hari? Is my aura depleted? And should that concern me? Why or why not?

I'm so very much looking forward to an education on this.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 12:02:26 AM

It's not really on topic, Jane, but malignant narcissism is identified as a member of the 'dark triad' [https://en.wikipedia.org...] of personality traits, and is understood by psychologists to be built on a core of shame. The shame is displaced by humiliating others, often from a posture of irreproachable sanctimony. There are links to bullying, but bullying can be a transient behaviour induced by circumstance, while malignant narcissism is often built into the individual's developing psychology itself.

The point being: the individual may not be able to amend this behaviour, may be unable to admit that it's occurring, and may be unable to acknowledge why. So if you identify that behaviour in someone, you have to deal with it in other ways. E.g, [https://www.psychologytoday.com...]