False Christian prophecies

Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 1:09:17 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
Failed prophecies in the Bible

If the Bible is truly the inspired word of an omniscient god, then any prophecies therein should come true. In some cases, it is obvious that the New Testament authors realized this and fashioned their stories around prophecies in the Old Testament, often making mistakes in so doing. However, there are some prophecies that were clearly false that no amount of liberal editing by later authors could correct. The following is taken from:

http://madmikesamerica.com...

Isaiah 17:1 "An oracle concerning Damascus: See, Damascus will no longer be a city but will become a heap of ruins."

FAIL: Damascus is still inhabited today with well over a million people and there was never a time where it ceased to be a city. It is widely known as being the oldest continuously inhabited city in the world.

Isaiah 19:4-5 "I will hand the Egyptians over to the power of a cruel master, and a fierce king will rule over them, declares the Lord, the LORD Almighty. The waters of the river will dry up, and the riverbed will be parched and dry."

FAIL: The river mentioned here is the Nile which never dried up and is still one of Egypt"s greatest natural resource.

Isaiah 52:1 "Awake, awake, O Zion, clothe yourself with strength. Put on your garments of splendor, O Jerusalem, the holy city. The uncircumcised and defiled will not enter you again."

FAIL: There are still uncircumcised people living in Jerusalem even today.

Ezekiel 30:10-11 "This is what the Sovereign LORD says: I will put an end to the hordes of Egypt by the hand of Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon. He and his army " the most ruthless of nations " will be brought in to destroy the land. They will draw their swords against Egypt and fill the land with the slain."

FAIL: Ezekiel predicts that Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon will conquer Egypt utterly destroying it, slaying and scattering its people. In 568 BCE Nebuchadnezzar tried to conquer Egypt and Egypt survived with no apparent damage. Aahmes ruled for another generation over a prosperous Egypt and lived to see Nebuchadnezzar die. The Egyptians were not scattered or dispersed.

Ezekiel 29:10-11 "therefore I am against you and against your streams, and I will make the land of Egypt a ruin and a desolate waste from Migdol to Aswan, as far as the border of Cush. The foot of neither man nor beast will pass through it; no one will live there for forty years."

FAIL: Never in its long history has Egypt been uninhabited for forty years.

Matthew 16:28 "I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom." 23:36 "I tell you the truth, all this will come upon this generation." 24:34 "I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened."

FAIL: Jesus states in Matthew that all the signs marking the end of the world would be fulfilled before his generation ended, before the people that were standing in front of him "taste death." Those people have been dead for nearly 2000 years and the world did not come to an end, neither have all those signs been fulfilled.

It is evident that these prophecies were nothing more than the wishful thinking of the authors and not otherwise inspired by an all-powerful, all-knowing god.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
Elihu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 3:02:33 AM
At 3/3/2016 1:09:17 AM, Chloe8 wrote:
I will never understand people who try and attack the Bible without personally reading it. Instead, they copy and paste bad information from shady sources such as madmikesamerica.com.

Isaiah 17:1 "An oracle concerning Damascus: See, Damascus will no longer be a city but will become a heap of ruins."

FAIL: Damascus is still inhabited today with well over a million people and there was never a time where it ceased to be a city. It is widely known as being the oldest continuously inhabited city in the world.
It was destroyed by Shalmaneser five or six years after the prophecy in Isaiah 17:1. It was taken before by Tiglathpileser, (read 2 Kings 15:29) and then rebuilt afterwards (read Acts 9:2; 2 Corinthians 11:32). Also read Jeremiah 49:24, 25.

Isaiah 19:4-5 "I will hand the Egyptians over to the power of a cruel master, and a fierce king will rule over them, declares the Lord, the LORD Almighty. The waters of the river will dry up, and the riverbed will be parched and dry."

FAIL: The river mentioned here is the Nile which never dried up and is still one of Egypt"s greatest natural resource.
The Nile has never dried up? There has never been a drought or a time when the water level is lower? No one, not even the original Hebrew text, is suggesting that the Nile would disappear. In reality, the text is probably referring to a failure of the annual rising of the Nile. This could be caused by the Egyptians themselves neglecting irrigation because of the anarchy in the region (Isaiah 19:2).

Isaiah 52:1 "Awake, awake, O Zion, clothe yourself with strength. Put on your garments of splendor, O Jerusalem, the holy city. The uncircumcised and defiled will not enter you again."

Someone who has not read the Bible and is not familiar with the language will most certainly make this mistake. "Uncircumcised" is simply an emblem of impurity, as it often is. This is in reference to the church, which would eventually become pure and holy through the coming Christ (Revelation 21:27).

Ezekiel 30:10-11 "This is what the Sovereign LORD says: I will put an end to the hordes of Egypt by the hand of Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon. He and his army " the most ruthless of nations " will be brought in to destroy the land. They will draw their swords against Egypt and fill the land with the slain."

FAIL: Ezekiel predicts that Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon will conquer Egypt utterly destroying it, slaying and scattering its people. In 568 BCE Nebuchadnezzar tried to conquer Egypt and Egypt survived with no apparent damage. Aahmes ruled for another generation over a prosperous Egypt and lived to see Nebuchadnezzar die. The Egyptians were not scattered or dispersed.
Nebuchadnezzar was the oldest son and successor of Nabopolassar, who delivered Babylon from its three centuries of vassalage to its fellow Mesopotamian state, Assyria, and in alliance with the Medes, Persians, Scythians, and Cimmerians, laid Nineveh in ruins. According to Berossus, some years before he became king of Babylon, Babylonian dynasties were united. There are conflicting accounts of Nitocris of Babylon being either his wife or daughter.

Nabopolassar was inthif Syria (ancient Aram) from Necho II (whose own dynasty had been installed as vassals of Assyria, and who was still hoping to help restore Assyrian power), and to this end dispatched his son westward with a large army. In the ensuing Battle of Carchemish in 605 BC, the Egyptian and Assyrian army was defeated and driven back, and the region of Syria and Phoenicia were brought under the control of Babylon. Nabopolassar died in August that year, and Nebuchadnezzar returned to Babylon to ascend the throne.

Following the pacification of the Phoenician state of Tyre, Nebuchadnezzar turned again to Egypt. A clay tablet,[9] now in the British Museum, states: "In the 37th year of Nebuchadnezzar, king of the country of Babylon, he went to Mitzraim (Egypt) to wage war. Amasis, king of Egypt, collected [his army], and marched and spread abroad." Having completed the subjugation of Phoenicia, and a campaign against Egypt, Nebuchadnezzar set himself to rebuild and adorn the city of Babylon, and constructed canals, aqueducts, temples and reservoirs.
https://en.wikipedia.org...

The Nebuchadnezzar Chronicle, now housed in the British Museum, claims that Nebuchadnezzar "crossed the river to go against the Egyptian army which lay in Karchemi". They fought with each other and the Egyptian army withdrew before him. He accomplished their defeat and beat them to non-existence. As for the rest of the Egyptian army which had escaped from the defeat so quickly that no weapon had reached them, in the district of Hamath the Babylonian troops overtook and defeated them so that not a single man escaped to his own country. At that time Nebuchadnezzar conquered the whole area of Hamath."

Ezekiel 29:10-11 "therefore I am against you and against your streams, and I will make the land of Egypt a ruin and a desolate waste from Migdol to Aswan, as far as the border of Cush. The foot of neither man nor beast will pass through it; no one will live there for forty years."

Unfortunately, we cannot verify through secular records whether or not there was a 40 year period of desolation. Similarly, we cannot verify that there was not one (absence of evidence is not evidence of absence). Benson Commentary quotes Bishop Newton as saying this:
"We cannot prove, indeed, from heathen authors, that this desolation of the country continued exactly forty years, though it is likely enough that this, as well as the other conquered countries, did not shake off the Babylonish yoke till the time of Cyrus, which was about forty years after the conquest of Egypt by Nebuchadnezzar: but we are assured by Berosus, that Nebuchadnezzar took several captives in Egypt, and carried them to Babylon; and from Megasthenes we learn, that he transplanted and settled others in Pontus. So true it is that they were scattered among the nations, and dispersed through the countries, and might, upon the dissolution of the Babylonian empire, return to their native country."

Matthew 16:28 "I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom." 23:36 "I tell you the truth, all this will come upon this generation." 24:34 "I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened."

FAIL: Jesus states in Matthew that all the signs marking the end of the world would be fulfilled before his generation ended, before the people that were standing in front of him "taste death." Those people have been dead for nearly 2000 years and the world did not come to an end, neither have all those signs been fulfilled.
You will note that Matthew 16:28 says "in his kingdom," not "into his kingdom." He is saying that his kingdom, or church (which was small then), would grow before all of them died. John, for example, saw the Jewish nation scattered, the temple destroyed, the gospel established in Asia, Rome, Greece, etc.

In regard to Matthew 23:36, was Jerusalem not destroyed about 40 years later?
God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship in spirit and truth.
(John 4:24)
HardRockHallelujah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 4:23:30 AM

If the Bible is truly the inspired word of an omniscient god, then any prophecies therein should come true. In some cases, it is obvious that the New Testament authors realized this and fashioned their stories around prophecies in the Old Testament, often making mistakes in so doing. However, there are some prophecies that were clearly false that no amount of liberal editing by later authors could correct. The following is taken from:

It is evident that these prophecies were nothing more than the wishful thinking of the authors and not otherwise inspired by an all-powerful, all-knowing god.
I could easily do similar to what what you just did:

Type into Google "Why Atheism is false"
Click the first link I see.
Make a post with what I found and pretend like I have refuted Atheism, when in reality you would laugh for the same reason I am laughing at your nonsensical post.
HardRockHallelujah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 4:24:19 AM

I could easily do something similar to what what you just did:

Make a post with what I found and pretend like I have refuted Atheism, when in reality you would laugh for the same reason I am laughing at your nonsensical post.
Stronn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 6:14:33 AM

Unfulfilled prophecies are often explained away by claiming they will be fulfilled in the future. This is one. The scary thing about specific prophecies like this is that religious fanatics might see it as their duty to hasten their fulfillment. After all, they can't be raptured until Damascus is destroyed, right?
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 10:35:08 AM
At 3/3/2016 3:02:33 AM, Elihu wrote:
I will never understand people who try and attack the Bible without personally reading it. Instead, they copy and paste bad information from shady sources such as madmikesamerica.com.

Because we are clever enough to work out it is not worth our effort reading through thousands of pages of a series of vague links to historical events, myths, legends, fantasies, lies and unsubstantiated claims invented by a few men from the 1st century and cobbled together with the beliefs of Judaism in the 4th century to create the biggest lie ever told.

It was destroyed by Shalmaneser five or six years after the prophecy in Isaiah 17:1. It was taken before by Tiglathpileser, (read 2 Kings 15:29) and then rebuilt afterwards (read Acts 9:2; 2 Corinthians 11:32). Also read Jeremiah 49:24, 25.

The Nile has never dried up? There has never been a drought or a time when the water level is lower? No one, not even the original Hebrew text, is suggesting that the Nile would disappear. In reality, the text is probably referring to a failure of the annual rising of the Nile. This could be caused by the Egyptians themselves neglecting irrigation because of the anarchy in the region (Isaiah 19:2).

I can only laugh.

Someone who has not read the Bible and is not familiar with the language will most certainly make this mistake. "Uncircumcised" is simply an emblem of impurity, as it often is. This is in reference to the church, which would eventually become pure and holy through the coming Christ (Revelation 21:27).

Nebuchadnezzar was the oldest son and successor of Nabopolassar, who delivered Babylon from its three centuries of vassalage to its fellow Mesopotamian state, Assyria, and in alliance with the Medes, Persians, Scythians, and Cimmerians, laid Nineveh in ruins. According to Berossus, some years before he became king of Babylon, Babylonian dynasties were united. There are conflicting accounts of Nitocris of Babylon being either his wife or daughter.

Nabopolassar was inthif Syria (ancient Aram) from Necho II (whose own dynasty had been installed as vassals of Assyria, and who was still hoping to help restore Assyrian power), and to this end dispatched his son westward with a large army. In the ensuing Battle of Carchemish in 605 BC, the Egyptian and Assyrian army was defeated and driven back, and the region of Syria and Phoenicia were brought under the control of Babylon. Nabopolassar died in August that year, and Nebuchadnezzar returned to Babylon to ascend the throne.

Following the pacification of the Phoenician state of Tyre, Nebuchadnezzar turned again to Egypt. A clay tablet,[9] now in the British Museum, states: "In the 37th year of Nebuchadnezzar, king of the country of Babylon, he went to Mitzraim (Egypt) to wage war. Amasis, king of Egypt, collected [his army], and marched and spread abroad." Having completed the subjugation of Phoenicia, and a campaign against Egypt, Nebuchadnezzar set himself to rebuild and adorn the city of Babylon, and constructed canals, aqueducts, temples and reservoirs.

The Nebuchadnezzar Chronicle, now housed in the British Museum, claims that Nebuchadnezzar "crossed the river to go against the Egyptian army which lay in Karchemi". They fought with each other and the Egyptian army withdrew before him. He accomplished their defeat and beat them to non-existence. As for the rest of the Egyptian army which had escaped from the defeat so quickly that no weapon had reached them, in the district of Hamath the Babylonian troops overtook and defeated them so that not a single man escaped to his own country. At that time Nebuchadnezzar conquered the whole area of Hamath."

Unfortunately, we cannot verify through secular records whether or not there was a 40 year period of desolation. Similarly, we cannot verify that there was not one (absence of evidence is not evidence of absence). Benson Commentary quotes Bishop Newton as saying this:
"We cannot prove, indeed, from heathen authors, that this desolation of the country continued exactly forty years, though it is likely enough that this, as well as the other conquered countries, did not shake off the Babylonish yoke till the time of Cyrus, which was about forty years after the conquest of Egypt by Nebuchadnezzar: but we are assured by Berosus, that Nebuchadnezzar took several captives in Egypt, and carried them to Babylon; and from Megasthenes we learn, that he transplanted and settled others in Pontus. So true it is that they were scattered among the nations, and dispersed through the countries, and might, upon the dissolution of the Babylonian empire, return to their native country."

You will note that Matthew 16:28 says "in his kingdom," not "into his kingdom." He is saying that his kingdom, or church (which was small then), would grow before all of them died. John, for example, saw the Jewish nation scattered, the temple destroyed, the gospel established i

You can't try and deny reality.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 10:40:34 AM
At 3/3/2016 4:23:30 AM, HardRockHallelujah wrote:

I could easily do similar to what what you just did:

Atheists don't make up prophecies. So good luck on that one! How do you explain the facts Egypt has never been entirely depopulated, the Nile has never dried up and Damascus still exists?

Rather than dismiss my claims just look at reality. But you can't refute them. Unless you are delusional enough to claim demascus no longer exists and the Nile is dried up. Admit it. These prophecies have FAILED!

Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 10:42:25 AM
At 3/3/2016 6:14:33 AM, Stronn wrote:

Unfulfilled prophecies are often explained away by claiming they will be fulfilled in the future. This is one. The scary thing about specific prophecies like this is that religious fanatics might see it as their duty to hasten their fulfillment. After all, they can't be raptured until Damascus is destroyed, right?

Very true. Made up prophecies encourage a religions followers to take it upon themselves to ensure the prophecy is fulfilled and their views justified .

skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 10:55:17 AM

That's a long post. Next time save yourself the effort and just proclaim you're a gullible moron.
augcaesarustus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 1:38:39 PM

First, prophecies are not 'predictions of the future' - they're simply a retelling of past events, written prospectively so as to give the impression that it's a 'prediction'. No one can predict the future.

Some people, particularly politicians, always talk up that they 'voted against the Iraq War' whilst 'she didn't.' Everyone seems to be a 'prophet' these days, claiming that accurately predicted future events. It apparently shows 'good judgement', but maybe it also tells us that we can learn from history?

I think you're missing the point about scripture - it's not the literal word of God: it's written history. They're simply stories told by people. Even if many people at the time believed them, they were only believing what other people told them. Something doesn't come from nothing: it's always someone's idea or belief. It just simply comes down to how good you are at spreading it or convincing someone else that your belief is great.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 1:57:58 PM
At 3/3/2016 10:55:17 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:

That's a long post. Next time save yourself the effort and just proclaim you're a gullible moron.

That's a statement from someone gullible enough to be a Christian. Anyone who approaches the topic with an open minded and logical approach and is sufficiently intelligent will agree with my conclusion Christianity is definitely false. How do you explain the water flowing in the Nile or the existence of Damascus? You can't so you get in a fret and just ignore reality and call me a moron for showing it to you.

Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 2:00:45 PM
At 3/3/2016 1:38:39 PM, augcaesarustus wrote:

First, prophecies are not 'predictions of the future' - they're simply a retelling of past events, written prospectively so as to give the impression that it's a 'prediction'. No one can predict the future.

Some people, particularly politicians, always talk up that they 'voted against the Iraq War' whilst 'she didn't.' Everyone seems to be a 'prophet' these days, claiming that accurately predicted future events. It apparently shows 'good judgement', but maybe it also tells us that we can learn from history?

I think you're missing the point about scripture - it's not the literal word of God: it's written history. They're simply stories told by people. Even if many people at the time believed them, they were only believing what other people told them. Something doesn't come from nothing: it's always someone's idea or belief. It just simply comes down to how good you are at spreading it or convincing someone else that your belief is great.

Yes I agree scriptures are the work of humans and have no credibility or substance.

Danb6177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 2:29:53 PM

Most of your verses are end time verses.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 2:34:07 PM
At 3/3/2016 2:29:53 PM, Danb6177 wrote:

So your excuse for their failure is that they are going to happen in the future?

Danb6177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 2:37:54 PM
At 3/3/2016 2:34:07 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

So your excuse for their failure is that they are going to happen in the future?

You quote end time verses and ask why they are not fulfilled yet? Does that make sense to you?
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 4:46:56 PM
At 3/3/2016 2:37:54 PM, Danb6177 wrote:

You quote end time verses and ask why they are not fulfilled yet? Does that make sense to you?

Yes I understand that you are claiming these prophecies are going to be fulfilled in the future. However as they are yet to happen they are currently failed prophecies. Until something happens it is simply an unsubstantiated claim.

Danb6177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 5:20:19 PM
At 3/3/2016 4:46:56 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

Yes I understand that you are claiming these prophecies are going to be fulfilled in the future. However as they are yet to happen they are currently failed prophecies. Until something happens it is simply an unsubstantiated claim.

Your calling a prophecy a failure because it has not been fulfilled yet. Prophecy that is clearly meant for the end times which are not here yet. Im sorry, you really have no complaint here. Its like driving your car to the store and calling yourself a failure the entire ride because you haven't arrived yet. Its a strange logic.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 5:34:44 PM
At 3/3/2016 5:20:19 PM, Danb6177 wrote:
At 3/3/2016 4:46:56 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

But this one clearly indicates it should have been fulfilled shortly after the time of Jesus.

Your calling a prophecy a failure because it has not been fulfilled yet. Prophecy that is clearly meant for the end times which are not here yet. Im sorry, you really have no complaint here. Its like driving your car to the store and calling yourself a failure the entire ride because you haven't arrived yet. Its a strange logic.

Danb6177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 7:53:40 PM
At 3/3/2016 5:34:44 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

Ok Chloe im going to slow you down here and ask a question. Do you read the bible? It seems to me that you do not, or if you do there is a serious fundamental issue with the way you read it. I will explain to you all 3 verses. the first 2 in this post and when you agree with those we can move on to the 3rd. I would however urge you to go back to at least Mathew 16 and 23 and read the entire chapters. I think you would see quickly where your error is but I will explain it for you also.
My earlier post stated that most of the verses you stated are end times verses and they are. The 2 here certainly are not, lets look at them

Mathew
16:28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

In chapter 16 of Mathew we see the Pharisees also with the Sadducees tempting Jesus for a sign and Jesus warning his disciples. Then talks about their own faith. We see one of the most misunderstood texts in scripture that catholics use to claim supremacy over the church. And then He speaks of Jerusalem and how one must deny themselves and follow Him wholly. So verse 27 Jesus talks about his role in rewarding those who follow him. Then in verse 28 we see Jesus telling them that some of them....not all just some would see him in Glory coming in his kingdom. This is fulfilled in chapter 17 the very next chapter when some of them would see this..

17:1 And after six days Jesus taketh Peter , James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart
17:2 And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light.
17:3 And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him.
17:4 Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias.
17:5 While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.

So that's the first one here is the second.

23:36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation

This is much easier to understand. Chapter 23 is the woes against the religious people of Jerusalem who have not obeyed the scriptures and have denied Christ. The chapter is an easy read and flows well, I suggest reading it.
Jesus declares the judgment on Jerusalem which happens soon after this with the conquering of Jerusalem and the destruction of the beloved holy temple.

So both of these have been fulfilled. We should really do this with all the verses you mentioned. But Id like to do Mathew 24 next if you are able to agree with these 2 I have shown you.
Elihu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 8:59:10 PM
At 3/3/2016 10:35:08 AM, Chloe8 wrote:

Because we are clever enough to work out it is not worth our effort reading through thousands of pages of a series of vague links to historical events, myths, legends, fantasies, lies and unsubstantiated claims invented by a few men from the 1st century and cobbled together with the beliefs of Judaism in the 4th century to create the biggest lie ever told.
You have clearly shown that you have not read it, I agree. Whether or not that is clever can be debated. I will not even comment on how misinformed you are on the dates.

That is all you have? You accused creationists of ignoring evidence (which you have yet to prove), but are you not doing the same thing right now?
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 9:13:29 PM
At 3/3/2016 7:53:40 PM, Danb6177 wrote:
At 3/3/2016 5:34:44 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

Ok Chloe im going to slow you down here and ask a question. Do you read the bible? It seems to me that you do not, or if you do there is a serious fundamental issue with the way you read it. I will explain to you all 3 verses. the first 2 in this post and when you agree with those we can move on to the 3rd. I would however urge you to go back to at least Mathew 16 and 23 and read the entire chapters. I think you would see quickly where your error is but I will explain it for you also.
My earlier post stated that most of the verses you stated are end times verses and they are. The 2 here certainly are not, lets look at them

Mathew
16:28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

In chapter 16 of Mathew we see the Pharisees also with the Sadducees tempting Jesus for a sign and Jesus warning his disciples. Then talks about their own faith. We see one of the most misunderstood texts in scripture that catholics use to claim supremacy over the church. And then He speaks of Jerusalem and how one must deny themselves and follow Him wholly. So verse 27 Jesus talks about his role in rewarding those who follow him. Then in verse 28 we see Jesus telling them that some of them....not all just some would see him in Glory coming in his kingdom. This is fulfilled in chapter 17 the very next chapter when some of them would see this..

17:1 And after six days Jesus taketh Peter , James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart
17:2 And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light.
17:3 And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him.
17:4 Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias.
17:5 While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.

So that's the first one here is the second.

23:36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation

This is much easier to understand. Chapter 23 is the woes against the religious people of Jerusalem who have not obeyed the scriptures and have denied Christ. The chapter is an easy read and flows well, I suggest reading it.
Jesus declares the judgment on Jerusalem which happens soon after this with the conquering of Jerusalem and the destruction of the beloved holy temple.

So both of these have been fulfilled. We should really do this with all the verses you mentioned. But Id like to do Mathew 24 next if you are able to agree with these 2 I have shown you.

I don't claim to be able to refute those two prophecies supposedly fulfilled. The first one seems completely unvarifiable though and could easily be entirely made up. However the bible should be the word of god and not contain fabrication or lies about fulfilled prophecies.

The following verse occurs in Matthew 2:23:

And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene.

There is no reference in the Old Testament to the Messiah as being a Nazarene. The town of Nazareth is never mentioned in the Jewish Bible; in fact, the town didn"t even exist while it was being written.

This is a clear indication that the author of Matthew was over-reaching to try to qualm the doubt that many people had about the Messiah coming from Nazareth, a town that apparently had a bad reputation, as per this verse in John 1:46:

Nathanael said to him, "Can any good thing come out of Nazareth?" Philip said to him, "Come and see."

This fabricated prophecy is just one more reason why the author of Matthew cannot be counted as an authentic historian. He also made up stories about an earthquake at the resurrection, a Roman guard over the tomb, and dead people coming out their graves and walking around Jerusalem.

Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 9:32:35 PM
At 3/3/2016 8:59:10 PM, Elihu wrote:
At 3/3/2016 10:35:08 AM, Chloe8 wrote:

You have clearly shown that you have not read it, I agree. Whether or not that is clever can be debated. I will not even comment on how misinformed you are on the dates.

That is all you have? You accused creationists of ignoring evidence (which you have yet to prove), but are you not doing the same thing right now?

The big bang, evolution, lack of a great flood, old earth, old universe, round earth and the insignificance of earths position in the solar system all disprove genesis.

It is clear that Jesus was rejected by the Jews as the messiah their prophecy expected was a man of divine power with ancestry to David who would rule over Israel as king. Jesus did not do this.

The gospels were written around a century after the death of Jesus by people who did not know him. These gospels contradict each other are are clearly full of myths and legends and do not show any element of divine influence such as shedding light on things like how we came to exist, how disease and illness happen, the shape of the earth, the future of morals and law, scientific facts or anything not known by man in the time of the books writing.

The four gospels were selected among about 40 on the basis of their pro Roman bias in the year 325 to be used as the basis in the bible to be used for preaching and teaching christianity after the Roman empire made Christianity it's official religion.

As I've said before the sheer savagery and evil of the Christian god also make the religion highly unlikely as it seems based on bronze age tribal nature and paganism. It's also unlikely such a clever being would be so unenlightened and immoral.

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 10:06:40 PM

Oh geeze. Look below. Click on link.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 10:11:00 PM
Matthew 16:28

That's not what it's saying at all. It's in reference to the end of the age saying that there will be a day when people standing in this spot one day who will not die before seeing the coming of Christ.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 10:14:19 PM

I can only laugh.

You will note that Matthew 16:28 says "in his kingdom," not "into his kingdom." He is saying that his kingdom, or church (which was small then), would grow before all of them died. John, for example, saw the Jewish nation scattered, the temple destroyed, the gospel established i

Go to Google. Type in Damascus. Look at images.

Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 10:27:37 PM
At 3/3/2016 10:07:12 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
http://www.businessinsider.com...

So you claim Damascus is entirely destroyed and ceases to be a city? Something I have just thought of- I should place a bet with a Christian that it will not be completely destroyed by say 2030. It would be easy money! You guys are so gullible! Do you expect the USA to nuke it or something?

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 10:31:08 PM
At 3/3/2016 10:27:37 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

So you claim Damascus is entirely destroyed and ceases to be a city? Something I have just thought of- I should place a bet with a Christian that it will not be completely destroyed by say 2030. It would be easy money! You guys are so gullible! Do you expect the USA to nuke it or something?

Looks like a heap of ruins to me. What would you call it? And it's not over yet.

Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 10:58:42 PM
At 3/3/2016 10:31:08 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 3/3/2016 10:27:37 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

Looks like a heap of ruins to me. What would you call it? And it's not over yet.

Yes it's a war zone. Berlin was a heap of ruins after world war 2 but it did not cease to exist and soon recovered from the destruction. The thing is it still exists. Would you be prepared to bet money on demascus ceasing to exist as a city by the year 2030? The war will be over by then. Either it will or will not exist. To back up your claims you have to say yes.

Elihu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 11:30:59 PM
At 3/3/2016 9:32:35 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
The big bang, evolution, lack of a great flood, old earth, old universe, round earth and the insignificance of earths position in the solar system all disprove genesis.
Those are not evidences. Those models have evidence, which would be what you should present.

It is clear that Jesus was rejected by the Jews as the messiah their prophecy expected was a man of divine power with ancestry to David who would rule over Israel as king. Jesus did not do this.
Jesus was quite obviously not rejected by "the Jews" (John 12:11). Some rejected him, some did not.

The gospels were written around a century after the death of Jesus by people who did not know him. These gospels contradict each other are are clearly full of myths and legends and do not show any element of divine influence such as shedding light on things like how we came to exist, how disease and illness happen, the shape of the earth, the future of morals and law, scientific facts or anything not known by man in the time of the books writing.
Wrong again. Mark, arguably the earliest gospel, was written around 60 C.E. None of the Gospels contradict each other and do not contain inaccuracies.

The four gospels were selected among about 40 on the basis of their pro Roman bias in the year 325 to be used as the basis in the bible to be used for preaching and teaching christianity after the Roman empire made Christianity it's official religion.
Wrong again. Irenaeus in 170 C.E. said the following:
"The heretics boast that they have many more gospels than there really are. But really they don't have any gospels that aren't full of blasphemy. There actually are only four authentic gospels. And this is obviously true because there are four corners of the universe and there are four principal winds, and therefore there can be only four gospels that are authentic. These, besides, are written by Jesus' true followers."

So we know that at least by 170 C.E. the four gospels were compiled and accepted.

As I've said before the sheer savagery and evil of the Christian god also make the religion highly unlikely as it seems based on bronze age tribal nature and paganism. It's also unlikely such a clever being would be so unenlightened and immoral.
You have never said that to me before, so you must be mistaken. However, the last thing we need to do is drag another concept into this discussion.