Jump to topic:

Pentecostal

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 2:40:38 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
I was raised up in a Pentecostal church. Their doctrine was in order to be saved, you must repent of your sins, be baptized, and then you shall speak in tongues (ACTS 2;38)

I've heard a lot of arguments saying that speaking in tongues has passed away, and that nobody needs to be fillled with the holy spirit in order to be saved.

What are your opinions?
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 3:48:02 PM
At 3/3/2016 2:40:38 PM, Rosalie wrote:
I was raised up in a Pentecostal church. Their doctrine was in order to be saved, you must repent of your sins, be baptized, and then you shall speak in tongues (ACTS 2;38)

Wow, really? That's amazing, I've never heard nor seen that ritualperformed other than on some news program and some guy named Samarin who did a study back in the 70's. Did you witness this act yourself or practiced it yourself at some point? Fascinating stuff.

I've heard a lot of arguments saying that speaking in tongues has passed away, and that nobody needs to be fillled with the holy spirit in order to be saved.

It looks like Tom Brown is still at it...

http://tbm.org...

What are your opinions?

Wish I could opine, but just don't know enough about it. Perhaps, with your experience, you could enlighten us?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 4:01:15 PM
At 3/3/2016 3:48:02 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Wow, really? That's amazing, I've never heard nor seen that ritualperformed other than on some news program and some guy named Samarin who did a study back in the 70's. Did you witness this act yourself or practiced it yourself at some point? Fascinating stuff.

Yeah. My whole family is involved in the Pentecostal church. My uncle is in fact one of the pastors of the church. I received the spirit when I was 12, than I was baptized. But, since I'm.older know I've always been conflicted. People say you don't need it to be saved, and to go to heaven, bit yet it's in the New Testament.

What are your opinions?

Wish I could opine, but just don't know enough about it. Perhaps, with your experience, you could enlighten us?
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 4:12:14 PM
At 3/3/2016 4:01:15 PM, Rosalie wrote:

Yeah. My whole family is involved in the Pentecostal church. My uncle is in fact one of the pastors of the church. I received the spirit when I was 12, than I was baptized. But, since I'm.older know I've always been conflicted. People say you don't need it to be saved, and to go to heaven, bit yet it's in the New Testament.

What are your opinions?

Do you think that
A person that kills kids chops them up and eats them . When he dies will go to a different place/state, then the kids that he chopped up and ate ?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 4:15:19 PM

Yeah. My whole family is involved in the Pentecostal church. My uncle is in fact one of the pastors of the church.

Wow and wow. If you ever get the opportunity to video any of the speaking in tongues services there, please do post it here somewhere, would love to observe that.

I received the spirit when I was 12, than I was baptized. But, since I'm.older know I've always been conflicted. People say you don't need it to be saved, and to go to heaven, bit yet it's in the New Testament.

True, and after reading a few articles, it seems to be in hot debate among the various flocks, some state that it has already been fulfilled while others, like Tom Brown, believe it is still necessary. But, I do think Brown appears to be in it for the coverage and perhaps the money.

What are your opinions?

Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 4:33:59 PM
Yeah. My whole family is involved in the Pentecostal church. My uncle is in fact one of the pastors of the church. I received the spirit when I was 12, than I was baptized. But, since I'm.older know I've always been conflicted. People say you don't need it to be saved, and to go to heaven, bit yet it's in the New Testamen
Did you know that in the OT the god worshiped is a genocidal, infanticidle psychopath?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
VirBinarus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 4:39:50 PM
and then you shall speak in tongues (ACTS 2;38)

1 Corinthians 14:19
"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."
1 thessalonians, 5:11
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 4:40:46 PM

Are you an adept 'snake charmer'?

That only applies to gingers.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Danb6177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 5:55:35 PM

I've heard a lot of arguments saying that speaking in tongues has passed away, and that nobody needs to be filled with the holy spirit in order to be saved.

What are your opinions?

I do have an opinion on this. Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
A person is called to have faith. Faith comes initially from reading the bible, hearing the word. In the time we live in now (post biblical revelation) the bible is the sole method for hearing Gods word. Before the bible it was not so as we see in scripture the divine revelations of God. If a person were to speak in tongues today this would eliminate the need for faith completely.
When believers base their beliefs on personal experiences instead of faith, when tribulation comes they have no foundation to stand on. When the experiences stop there is nothing left to look to.

Tongues was a sign given to believers in the book of acts for prophecy. It was also used as a gift of hearing as we see at Pentecost.
I personally believe that the gift tongues is no longer employed to spread Gods word or for purposes of prophecy.
There is no need for either anymore due to the completed work of the bible (that which is perfect)

13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
13:9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 5:59:33 PM
At 3/3/2016 4:40:46 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Are you an adept 'snake charmer'?

That only applies to gingers.

Gingers have no souls.
Stegley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 6:32:42 PM

What are your opinions?

Pentecostals are false Babblers. We know this because none of them can ever repeat any of the things which happened in the Bible in Acts Ch. 2 on The Day of Pentecost. Yet, they call themselves "Pentecostal."

So, if they cannot honestly and accurately name themselves, how dishonest and inaccurate are their teachings, doctrines, and practices?

Just ask them that, and you will see them unable to give a logical answer. They will just avoid the question.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 6:44:15 PM
At 3/3/2016 6:32:42 PM, Stegley wrote:

What are your opinions?

Pentecostals are false Babblers. We know this because none of them can ever repeat any of the things which happened in the Bible in Acts Ch. 2 on The Day of Pentecost. Yet, they call themselves "Pentecostal."

So, if they cannot honestly and accurately name themselves, how dishonest and inaccurate are their teachings, doctrines, and practices?

Just ask them that, and you will see them unable to give a logical answer. They will just avoid the question.

Just ask them what shape planet Earth is, Stegles.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 7:16:07 PM

What are your opinions?

That would make you Pentecostal.
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 8:19:49 PM

What are your opinions?
Like anything else, within Christianity being no exception, there are extremes. The claim that tongues have passed away after the Bible was written would be one extreme in my opinion, and one must speak in tongues to be saved would be the other extreme in my opinion. It sounds like you came from a Pentecostal Holiness Church. I think most churches where tongues are being spoken don't hold to the doctrine of tongues being a necessity for salvation.

I think one of the problems within Christianity is the idea that Salvation as described in verses like John 3:16 are just too simple. The whole concept of easy believism. Salvation in a sense is easy, and in a way it isn't. It is as simple as the person stranded out in sea grabbing the latter dangling from the helicopter. No requirement for that person to dunk themselves underwater first, recite any scriptures, etc. Just grab the latter and let the helicopter pull them up and out to safety. The difference is that it's visually obvious for a person who was rescued that way that they were undoubtedly rescued. However they act afterwards has no consequence to that verdict. However spiritual salvation is not quite as visually obvious. It can be questioned at times based on either the person's in question actions, or scriptural discrepancies held by those with certain doctrines.

That being said, taking probably one of the most non-pentecostal denominations like presbyterianism, they have members that don't practice speaking in tongues that are as saved as any other believer. There are various signs of salvation which includes being lead by the spirit (all believers have the Holy Spirit to do this). And there are undoubtedly presbyterians (I've known a number of them) who are doing exactly what God has told them to do, and will be honored as such in Heaven.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 8:30:47 PM

People are saved through the words of Jesus. It means, Jesus declared forgiveness of sins. That is before person may have Holy Spirit. After person is saved, sins are forgiven and Holy Spirit can dwell in him. That is how I have understood the Bible.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2016 10:56:26 PM
At 3/3/2016 4:15:19 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Yeah. My whole family is involved in the Pentecostal church. My uncle is in fact one of the pastors of the church.

Wow and wow. If you ever get the opportunity to video any of the speaking in tongues services there, please do post it here somewhere, would love to observe that.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2016 11:33:11 PM

What are your opinions?

No one needs to babble incoherent words in order to be saved.

Watch the attached video.

According to the bible, the gift of tongues is a gift of speaking in other languages which can be understood by other people.
It is not a gift of speaking in any unknown language. The gift was given as a sign to unbelievers so the unbelievers could hear the gospel preached in a language they could understand.

Acts 2:4-11
verse 6... Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

The languages were understood by other people. They were not incoherent to everyone.

Read the whole of 1 Cor 14... take note of the following verses.....

1 Cor 14:6 Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?

How does babbling incoherent words benefit or profit anyone?

1 Cor 14:9 So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air.

1 Cor 14:11
Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.

1 Cor 14:19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

According to the bible Jesus spoke in "another tongue" to the people he spoke to, if he fulfilled the prophecy in Isaiah 28:11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.

1 Cor 14:21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.

Do you think Jesus spoke in a coherent language which could be understood by the people who were listening? If he did, why did they not understand what he was saying?
Why did they accuse him of being a mad man and blasphemer if he was telling the truth?
They heard the words and understood the language but they did not understand the message in the own language.
The same happens today when people can all speak English but still don't understand a message spoken in English.

The reason is because people interpret words differently. The words in the bible are like a two edged sword or a "forked tongue" which appear to say one thing and mean another.
When you speak an ambiguously in metaphors , idioms, parables, etc not everyone will comprehend the message even if they do understand the language in which you are communicating.

If you just babble incoherent syllables you can't even understand yourself let alone edify yourself so how is anyone else supposed to understand you or be edified by your words?

If you speak more than one language you need to be able to interpret the languages and translate one to the other. If you cannot understand your own words or translate the words you speak into a language which can be understood by you and others, then the words are of no use to anyone including yourself.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2016 12:21:00 AM
At 3/4/2016 11:33:11 PM, Skyangel wrote:

What are your opinions?

No one needs to babble incoherent words in order to be saved.

Watch the attached video.

According to the bible, the gift of tongues is a gift of speaking in other languages which can be understood by other people.
It is not a gift of speaking in any unknown language. The gift was given as a sign to unbelievers so the unbelievers could hear the gospel preached in a language they could understand.

Acts 2:4-11
verse 6... Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

The languages were understood by other people. They were not incoherent to everyone.

Read the whole of 1 Cor 14... take note of the following verses.....

1 Cor 14:6 Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?

How does babbling incoherent words benefit or profit anyone?

1 Cor 14:9 So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air.

1 Cor 14:11
Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.

1 Cor 14:19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

According to the bible Jesus spoke in "another tongue" to the people he spoke to, if he fulfilled the prophecy in Isaiah 28:11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.

1 Cor 14:21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.

Do you think Jesus spoke in a coherent language which could be understood by the people who were listening? If he did, why did they not understand what he was saying?
Why did they accuse him of being a mad man and blasphemer if he was telling the truth?
They heard the words and understood the language but they did not understand the message in the own language.
The same happens today when people can all speak English but still don't understand a message spoken in English.

The reason is because people interpret words differently. The words in the bible are like a two edged sword or a "forked tongue" which appear to say one thing and mean another.
When you speak an ambiguously in metaphors , idioms, parables, etc not everyone will comprehend the message even if they do understand the language in which you are communicating.

If you just babble incoherent syllables you can't even understand yourself let alone edify yourself so how is anyone else supposed to understand you or be edified by your words?

If you speak more than one language you need to be able to interpret the languages and translate one to the other. If you cannot understand your own words or translate the words you speak into a language which can be understood by you and others, then the words are of no use to anyone including yourself.

I haven't had time to watch the video yet. But, there is already fault in what you're saying. On the day of Pentecost, Peter specifically told people *how* to be saved.

Others *can* interpret what you're saying, and then you yourself can understand what you said.

"If anyone speaks in a tongue, let there be two or at the most three, each in turn, and let one interpret. But if there is no interpreter, let him keep silent in church, and let him speak to himself and to God." (1 Corinthians 14: 27-28)

"Therefore let him who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret. For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful." (1 Corinthians 14:13-14)

"If you speak more than one language you need to be able to interpret the languages and translate one to the other."

And that's what the gifts of interpretation are. You speak in tongues. and the person after you interprets what you've said.

"If you just babble incoherent syllables you can't even understand yourself let alone edify yourself so how is anyone else supposed to understand you or be edified by your words?"

Read scriptures above.

Stegley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2016 3:19:41 AM
At 3/3/2016 6:44:15 PM, desmac wrote:

What are your opinions?

Just ask them what shape planet Earth is, Stegles.

Ask them if they trust their schooled imagination more than they trust God. Lol. Ask them if The Bible ever mentions Deep Space, or The Horizon. Lol.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2016 9:34:16 AM
At 3/5/2016 12:21:00 AM, Rosalie wrote:
At 3/4/2016 11:33:11 PM, Skyangel wrote:

I haven't had time to watch the video yet. But, there is already fault in what you're saying. On the day of Pentecost, Peter specifically told people *how* to be saved.

He never said they had to speak in unknown tongues to be saved. The people in Acts 2 were not speaking in unknown tongues or languages anyway. Their languages were understood perfectly by the hearers.
Acts 2:8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

Others *can* interpret what you're saying, and then you yourself can understand what you said.

If people do not understand a language in the first place, they cannot speak it let alone interpret it. Speaking random syllables is not speaking any language. It is making a fool of yourself in order to put on some spiritual act.
Since the languages are not known languages in the first place, they are impossible to translate or interpret.
Pentecostals simply "interpret" these "tongues" by saying whatever comes into their heads at the time. No one can confirm that their interpretation is right or wrong. Gullible people merely "accept by faith" whatever is said because they don't know any better and don't have the nerve to question the so called "interpretation".

"If anyone speaks in a tongue, let there be two or at the most three, each in turn, and let one interpret. But if there is no interpreter, let him keep silent in church, and let him speak to himself and to God." (1 Corinthians 14: 27-28)

An interpretor must know what the language is and be able to speak the same language themselves before they can interpret it. The so called interpreters in the Pentecostal church don't even know what languages they are interpreting. The interpreters are merely interpreting nonsense "by faith".
Both the "speaker in tongues" and the so called "interpreter" simply say whatever comes into their heads and all the members simply accept whatever is said without question. Neither the speaker not the interpreter understand what was said in "tongues" at all.

"Therefore let him who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret. For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful." (1 Corinthians 14:13-14)

"If you speak more than one language you need to be able to interpret the languages and translate one to the other."

And that's what the gifts of interpretation are. You speak in tongues. and the person after you interprets what you've said.

No they don't. They simply say whatever comes into the heads "by faith" the same as they prophecy "by faith" which simply means they just say whatever comes into their heads so they can appear to be more "spiritual" than everyone else.
They are not interpreting anything because they have no clue what was said in tongues. They are not afraid to do it either due to the tongues being pure gibberish and no one can confirm if what they say is right or wrong. If the people really did receive a gift of languages they would be understandable and be able to be interpreted and confirmed by unbelievers since tongues is supposed to be sign to unbelievers. It is not supposed to be some language which is not even understood by the speaker.

1 Cor 14 :22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not:

The unbelievers in Acts 2:5-11 heard the people speak in their own languages. Those unbelievers were able to confirm what languages they were and what the words meant. No such thing happens today because the tongues are not languages like they are supposed to be. They are just random nonsense.