Total Posts:34|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

I can't decide between atheism and Chr...

Rahjee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 10:23:24 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
The title got cut off. I said I can't decide between atheism and Christianity. Up until I was 17 I let my older brother convince that there were no Gods, so I stopped believing and became atheist. After 4 years I've been having doubts. Sometimes I pray, then sometimes I think God isn't real. The amount of people who believe in him are in high numbers. Christianity kind of makes sense somehow. How ever atheist do make a lot of great points on why there are no god. I tried asking yahoo answers last year, but it didn't really help. So what do you guys think?
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 10:28:14 PM
At 3/3/2016 10:23:24 PM, Rahjee wrote:
The title got cut off. I said I can't decide between atheism and Christianity. Up until I was 17 I let my older brother convince that there were no Gods, so I stopped believing and became atheist. After 4 years I've been having doubts. Sometimes I pray, then sometimes I think God isn't real. The amount of people who believe in him are in high numbers. Christianity kind of makes sense somehow. How ever atheist do make a lot of great points on why there are no god. I tried asking yahoo answers last year, but it didn't really help. So what do you guys think?

What reasons do you have for thinking Christianity could be correct?
What reasons do you have for thinking there could be a god?
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 10:30:56 PM

I say keep your options open until you are certain of one or the other. Maybe study other religions as well, to see which is the best fit for you. I am also an agnostic. it's kind of hard being undecided, but I want to know the real truth, so I keep looking. Good luck.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 10:41:27 PM
http://www.debate.org...

Look at Damascus images on the internet.

Look up the kalam cosmological argument.

Look up the firmi paradox.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 10:43:11 PM

I put some info above if you are interested.

I hope that is a good start.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 10:50:58 PM
At 3/3/2016 10:41:27 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

Look at Damascus images on the internet.

What about Damascus images?

Look up the kalam cosmological argument.

Which presupposes that the A-Theory of Time is correct, just to name one major error of it.

Look up the firmi paradox.

So? What is that supposed to prove? It is based upon flawed ideas to begin with.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 10:51:24 PM

I don't think anyone can be certain how the universe came to exist. It's the greatest mystery facing humanity. However it can be conclusively proven Christianity is false. Here is a well written article that entirely disproves the entire concept of Christianity. It is incredibly long and detailed and I've only read the first 200 detailed points but it clearly shows up the many flaws in the concept of Christianity.

http://www.kyroot.com...
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 11:15:42 PM

Here goes Rahjee. I'll put in post below for you.

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 11:17:30 PM
Prophecy in Action:

"This message came to me concerning Damascus: "Look, the city of Damascus will fall. It will become a heap of ruins."
(Isaiah 17:1)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk...

"But the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet who had performed the signs on its behalf. With these signs he had deluded those who had received the mark of the beast and worshiped its image."
(Revelation 19:20)

Islam has a great, infallable prophet. He denies the deity of Christ in the Quran.

"But every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming."
(1 John 4:3)

Muhammed denounced Jesus in the Quran and led a religion into an anti Jesus religion that hates Christians.

Quran-
"They say: "Become Jews or Christians if ye would be
guided (to salvation)." Say thou: "Nay! (I would
rather) the Religion of Abraham, the True, and he
joined not gods with Allah."

[Quran 2:135]

"Abraham was not a Jew nor yet a Christian; but he was
true in Faith, and bowed his will to Allah's."

"No son did Allah beget, nor is there any god along
with Him: (if there were many gods), behold, each god
would have taken away what he had created, and some
would have Lorded it over others! Glory to Allah! (He
is free) from the (sort of) things they attribute to
Him!"

[Quran Al Mu"minuun:91]

Jesus is not a God, but he is only one of God"s
prophet (like: Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses, and
Muhammad):

"They do blaspheme who say: "Allah is Christ the son
of Mary." But said Christ: "O Children of Israel!

[Quran Al Maidah:72]

We don't what is to happen next but we know the armies of Earth are gathered near Armageddon in real life, right now, home of the Biblical prophecy of the final apocalyptic great War of Armageddon around Meggido.

-Where is Armageddon?

http://www.biblemagazine.com...

-What is happening in Syria? Who controls what? Who is fighting?

http://beforeitsnews.com...

http://www.nytimes.com...

http://www.bbc.com...

"The sixth angel poured out his bowl on the great river Euphrates, and its water was dried up to prepare the way for the kings from the East."
(Revelation 16:12)

-Iraq/ISIS are angry at Turkey for water shortage on Euphrates.

http://www.bloomberg.com...

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com...

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 11:24:04 PM

This never makes sense to me. If you believe in some god - then you do. If you don't, well then you are agnostic/atheists. You can choose to go to church if it has some value to you, but you can't choose like this.
DavidHenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 11:31:51 PM

First thing is dispel with the notion that you have to subscribe completely to one label or another. In one you have to be self righteous and the other intellectually overconfident and neither position is good for setting out on a journey of enlightenment. You wind up in the same place. Self righteous or intellectually overconfident.

You start out leaning towards atheism, because that is just the natural state, although there is something in most of us that seems directed towards a higher power. So, even in atheist mode you lean towards theology.

There are two problems facing you there. Number 1 there are, allegedly, a few different options that you may want to test the waters of and 2, even more significantly, all of them have been transmogrified over time.

All popular beliefs become corrupted, over time. Be they religious, political, social, or whatever. So you've got to be careful not to lean towards something that is merely popular and makes you feel good, or appeases your own idea of what a God should be. Maybe the God you seek isn't the one you seek, so then as your higher power will you change or will you change him?
"Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty." - Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune
DavidHenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 11:35:27 PM
At 3/3/2016 11:24:04 PM, TBR wrote:
This never makes sense to me. If you believe in some god - then you do. If you don't, well then you are agnostic/atheists. You can choose to go to church if it has some value to you, but you can't choose like this.

Why not? Going to church is a social exercise. There are two possibilities in a post like the OP. Either they are interested in what people think, or they generally think it possible to find some assistance. And why not? It certainly is possible. More likely than a more familiar setting, which they would have had access to prior to this anyway.
"Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty." - Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 11:54:29 PM
At 3/3/2016 11:35:27 PM, DavidHenson wrote:
At 3/3/2016 11:24:04 PM, TBR wrote:

Why not? Going to church is a social exercise. There are two possibilities in a post like the OP. Either they are interested in what people think, or they generally think it possible to find some assistance. And why not? It certainly is possible. More likely than a more familiar setting, which they would have had access to prior to this anyway.

As I said, if they are after the social aspects, fine. I don't see, or think it is possible, to just "pick faith". I have been an atheists for my entire life. Saying that tomorrow I would become Christian just by choosing so would be incredibly hypocritical.
DavidHenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2016 12:03:14 AM
At 3/3/2016 11:54:29 PM, TBR wrote:
As I said, if they are after the social aspects, fine. I don't see, or think it is possible, to just "pick faith". I have been an atheists for my entire life. Saying that tomorrow I would become Christian just by choosing so would be incredibly hypocritical.

Oh, I see what you are saying. I was an atheist until I was 27 years old. It didn't happen overnight that I became a believer, but the OP did mention a time frame of 4 years in which there has been a struggle. Sometimes one must feel that it should be settled, one way or the other, perhaps.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2016 12:29:36 AM

It doesn't necessarily need to be between Atheism or Christianity. Einstein (and many of the US founding fathers) believed in a non-interventionist god but thought Christianity was childish.

Since there is no such thing as talking snakes, people turning into salt, etc, obviously Christianity is out. If you are considering Christianity, read Age of Reason by Thomas Paine (the founding father) - GREAT book. He tears the bible to shreds.

Atheism, Agnosticism or suspecting there might be a non-interventionist "consciousness" is by far the most intellectually honest.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2016 1:23:38 AM
what do you guys think?
Rahjee, atheism isn't a belief system or a way of life. It's a conclusion about theological authority. Consequently you're not an atheist and will never be an atheist unless you know why you are. :)

Moreover, atheism offers you nothing -- nada, zip. It's a rejection of a range of beliefs an atheist thinks are worthless, but says nothing about what you believe or what groups you may belong to instead. Atheism isn't a religion, and I think it's foolish to consider it a form of social identity, as religious belief normally is. Identity-atheists are arguably no less silly than the religions they reject :)

So, the choices you've offered this forum are atheism or Christianity. My suggestion: if you don't know why you're an atheist, then you're probably not, except in a strained technical sense. :) It sounds like you're more agnostic bordering on a wannabe Christian.

But as an atheist, here's what I think Christianity offers you: it offers you a story, a community who'll tell it to you, some rules to live by and some shame, blame and guilt for matters you mostly can't control.

The story is not original, although most Christians believe it is. Drawing its origins from a range of historical influences and revised many times, often for political reasons, it's contorted, conflicted and full of backflips, which makes it amazingly confusing, to the extent that even people who believe it have trouble explaining it in detail at times. So if you want to buy into the story you should at least seek to learn the best historical thought on where it came from, so you can sort out what bits to interpret how.

Christian communities are on the whole, pretty decent, mainly because they started with one good idea (the innate worth of all humanity), and managed to both co-produce and embrace the Enlightenment, which moved (most of) them on from their traditional worship of tyrannous patriarchies into more sophisticated notions of equality, human welfare, democracy, the importance of evidence and reason, and the accountability of law.

Although tending to be insular, self-satisfied and hegemonistic, Christian communities tend to also be (reasonably) loyal, supportive and kind. However, because they generally believe in a dualistic universe (i.e. where evil is organised), they have a tendency to pick an out-group to vilify as the embodiment of organised evil (it used to be Jews; now it's Muslims, and it's always atheists), and so they can't be relied upon for fairness or justice: favouring themselves far more than anyone else, they also tend to be paternalistic, intolerant bullies, especially when scared.

Again, speaking personally if you want to be a good, decent, thoughtful, self-examined person there's no special reason you need to be religious about it. But if you want a community who all tells the same stories, then atheism won't supply that. Christianity will, but you'd need to overlook the conceitedness, confusion, dishonesty and paternalism that Christianity generally comes with... and so you'd probably need to really love the community, the stories or the self-flagellation underpinning its doctrine. :)

I hope that helps. :)
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2016 1:59:15 AM
There is no shame. Guilt is your conscious telling you what you are doing is wrong. Shame is wallering in it. You are saved by grace. Dilligently seek Him, for these are who He loves. You don't earn anything. You seek Him, love Him, and hear His voice.

Above all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires."
(2 Peter 3:3)

They said to you, "In the last times there will be scoffers who will follow their own ungodly desires."
(Jude 1:18)

Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2016 2:26:59 AM

You don't chose what you believe. The only choice to make is what you prioritize, and your options are either truth, or comfort. I think the Matrix analogy applies.

If you care about comfort, then go to church. Sit and listen to some guy stand up and tell you what he thinks created the universe and what he thinks will be our eventual fate, all because the book he read says so.

If you care about truth then the next question to ask is... How do we determine what is true? That is the question that you will find yourself concerned with. You cannot begin to trust your own determinations regarding truth until you understand the methods by which we come to those conclusions. For starters you can look up the laws of logic, logical fallacies, syllogisms, etc. And if you want some practice applying these concepts in a religiously neutral setting, I would recommend looking into conspiracy theories. I always found them to be the perfect example of how not to think.
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2016 9:45:11 AM

lol u confused if there is a God or not. so its about theism. u know there r plenty religions out there beside Christianity, u can be a deist like many.
Never fart near dog
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 9:27:25 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Islam fulfills the Bible's prophetic guideline in reference to the Antichrist in too many improbable ways to imagine.

Christians were given a guideline concerning the Antichrist who will come in the end of days. Muslims have a guideline for what to look for in the coming Mahdi(Islamic messiah). By a defiance of all probability and odds, they both are described in the same way.

Christians are looking for a man fitting these descriptions who is Satan incarnate who will come to destroy the Christians and the Jews. Muslims are looking for a man who fits these characteristics who will destroy the Christians and the Jews.

1)Both become the universal leader for all.
2). Both Will rule the entire world.
3). Both will conquer Israel.
4). Both establish headquarters in Jerusalem.
5). Both eill make a seven year peace treaty with Israel.
6). Both will rule for seven years.
7).Both cause only their religion to be the practiced religion.
8). Both distribute wealth to the populace.
9). Both will be a powerful and unprecedented military and political leader.
10). Both will be given supernatural power over nature.
11). Both arrive on the scene after a period of great turmoil.
12). Both will establish a new world order/government.
13). Both will wage war against Jews and Christians.
14)Both are declared "Messiah".

Jesus Himself gave a warning to God's children in the end of days.
"So if someone tells you, 'Look, the Messiah is out in the desert,' don't bother to go or look. Or, 'Look, he is here,' do not believe it!"

The Mahdi, of course, will appear in Mecca, which is in the middle of nowhere and in the desert.

-The Qur'an mentions that in the end of days "the Beast" will address the unbelievers and admonish them for their lack of attention towards God.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

"And when the Word is fulfilled against them, the unjust, we shall produce from the earth a beast to face them: He will speak to them, for that mankind did not believe with assurance in Our Signs."

"R01;Qur'an, sura 27 (An-Naml), ayat 82

The Bible uses the exact term "the beast" in describing the Antichrist.

"The beast will strike the head, and it will be brighten the face of the believer with the staff and "He is destined for Paradise" will be written on his forehead."

In the Bible, the beast (Antichrist), marks the foreheads of his followers.

http://www.raptureready.com...

"And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony about Jesus and because of the word of God. They had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads."
(Revelation 20:4)

Christians are being killed in mass, targeted, and beheaded by ISIS.

http://www.ijreview.com...

"Damascus will become a heap of ruins."
(Isaiah 17:1)

After the Syrian conflict, here is Damascus today. A heap of ruins.

`68; "And Jerusalem was divided into three parts, and the cities of the nations then began to fall."
(Revelation 16:19)

Jerusalem is divided into Jewish, Muslim, and Christian.

http://moira.meccahosting.com...

What is antichrist?

"It is whoever denies that Jesus is the Christ. Such a person is the ANTICHRIST--denying the Father and the Son."
(1 John 2:22)

The Quran specifically says Jesus is not the Christ, nor the "Son of God".

https://carm.org...

"The second beast was given power to give breath to the image of the first beast, so that the image could speak and cause all who refused to bow to the IMAGE to be killed."
(Revelation 13:15)

"The great river Euphrates, and its water was dried up to prepare the way for the army to cross."
(Revelation 16:12)

The water is so dangerously low that ISIS is crossing at will.

https://www.foreignaffairs.com...

Criteria of the religion of Antichrist.

-Bow to an image.

What are they actually bowing to? The black stone. (Pictures)

http://www.crystalinks.com...

-The image "speaks".

"Thus Allah wrote this confirmation. And this stone opened its mouth upon the order of Allah, who put that confirmation in it."

-Nonworship = death.

Has an infallable prophet who denounces Christ.

Muhammed, the infallable great Prophet denounced Christ in the Quran.

Islamic tradition holds that the Black Stone fell from Heaven.

(Satan fell from Heaven)(Luke 10:18)

666? Greek to Arabic.

666? Take a close look for 666 as you would know it. Is God telling us something?

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 9:29:31 PM

Christianity Rahjee. Atheism offers well...nothing. literally. That's what it offers. Christianity offers you God's love, mercy, forgiveness, and eternal life in Heaven.

autocorrect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 9:39:40 PM
At 4/13/2016 9:29:31 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Christianity Rahjee. Atheism offers well...nothing. literally. That's what it offers. Christianity offers you God's love, mercy, forgiveness, and eternal life in Heaven.

I've checked and I did quote your post - when I replied to your stupid thread about the death of the West for want of Christianity. You should have been notified, but maybe you're too busy - sharing your fave bible quote to respond. Whenever you're ready Brontotractor!
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 2:26:53 AM
At 4/13/2016 9:39:40 PM, autocorrect wrote:

I've checked and I did quote your post - when I replied to your stupid thread about the death of the West for want of Christianity. You should have been notified, but maybe you're too busy - sharing your fave bible quote to respond. Whenever you're ready Brontotractor!

My notification number up in that window generally says 99.

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 2:28:04 AM

Which part would you like to debate. Start up a debate. I'll debate whatever you want.

Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 2:43:20 AM

Those are just labels. They poorly reflect who you are or what your specific beliefs are. Read all kinds of material. Do all kinds of jobs. Meet all kinds of people. See all kinds of places. Pray for wisdom and understanding in all these things.

If God wants you he will have you find him.
autocorrect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 7:23:43 AM
At 4/14/2016 2:28:04 AM, brontoraptor wrote:

Which part would you like to debate. Start up a debate. I'll debate whatever you want.

I just want a reply to my post in your thread 'Atheists traded Christianity for Islam.' If you want to make it a formal debate - you set it up. It's your idea - your vicious, false and hateful idea. So you set it up.
frbnsn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 8:19:36 AM

Dear Rahje,

only three questions of mine:

1-Is there a start of the universe or is the universe eternal?

2-According to you, in the very start, was there unconscious matter or an intelligent being?

3-Were already all natural laws (gravity, expansion of universe...a.s.o) in eternal past or did someone put them?
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 8:28:42 AM
Have you really tried praying to jebus for the answer?

Try John 15:7 in your favourite bible Story book & apart from silence, see what jebus comes up with?

No proven answer, no jebus!
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 4:44:45 PM
Posted: 7 months ago

Here you go Rahjee. Here's a bit of science for you below.