Jump to topic:

Magic Man In The Sky

DavidHenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2016 11:37:23 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
In another thread FaustianJustice brought up a popular atheist term, "Magic Man In The Sky."

Its one of those things that have always perplexed me in atheist thinking. Is there only one or a few cases of a magic man in the sky that unsettles the nerves of an atheist or is it generally the concept of a higher developed and sophisticated being in a form different than ours they object to?

Then I think of science fiction's popularity among many atheists and I just marvel at the application of logic therein.
"Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty." - Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2016 11:58:53 PM
At 3/5/2016 11:37:23 PM, DavidHenson wrote:
In another thread FaustianJustice brought up a popular atheist term, "Magic Man In The Sky."

Its one of those things that have always perplexed me in atheist thinking. Is there only one or a few cases of a magic man in the sky that unsettles the nerves of an atheist or is it generally the concept of a higher developed and sophisticated being in a form different than ours they object to?

Then I think of science fiction's popularity among many atheists and I just marvel at the application of logic therein.

I think the magic man in the sky is a stupid term.

If anything it's invisible, immaterial, magic man, outside our universe.
DavidHenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 12:12:30 AM
At 3/5/2016 11:58:53 PM, illegalcombat wrote:

Well, they think its a stupid concept.

I don't understand. You mean that its stupid to apply the term in a derogatory fashion, because you think there are such beings, or you are elaborating on the term itself sarcastically?
"Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty." - Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 12:16:33 AM
At 3/6/2016 12:12:30 AM, DavidHenson wrote:

Well, they think its a stupid concept.

I don't understand. You mean that its stupid to apply the term in a derogatory fashion, because you think there are such beings, or you are elaborating on the term itself sarcastically?

Doesn't have to be derogatory, but if your going to use the whole magic man line, then at least get the facts straight, since the God believer doesn't actually believe in person in the sky but rather a person outside of our universe among other things.
DavidHenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 12:26:19 AM
At 3/6/2016 12:16:33 AM, illegalcombat wrote:
Doesn't have to be derogatory, but if your going to use the whole magic man line, then at least get the facts straight, since the God believer doesn't actually believe in person in the sky but rather a person outside of our universe among other things.

Oh, I see what you mean. Good point.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 12:30:23 AM

I mean really.
Define many.
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 12:31:54 AM
At 3/6/2016 12:26:19 AM, DavidHenson wrote:
At 3/6/2016 12:16:33 AM, illegalcombat wrote:

Oh, I see what you mean. Good point.

It;s like when some f*ck wit says something like evolution teaches there was nothing, and then BANG, there was something, and then life on earth happened randomly for no reason at all.
Stronn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 12:54:23 AM

Magic man in the sky is pejorative, of course. But it is not really an inaccurate depiction of most monotheists conception of God. Magic = divine, man = male, sky = heaven.

The concept doesn't unsettle my nerves at all. I just find that there is no rational reason to believe such a being exists. What unsettles my nerves is when people claim to know for a certainty that such a being exists, and not only that, but claim to know how he wants me to live.

Non sequitur. I like Brave New World, 1984 and The Matrix, but I sure would not like to live in the dystopian worlds they depict. It seems that by your logic, people could not like horror movies without liking horrible things.
DavidHenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 12:59:02 AM
At 3/6/2016 12:31:54 AM, illegalcombat wrote:
It;s like when some f*ck wit says something like evolution teaches there was nothing, and then BANG, there was something, and then life on earth happened randomly for no reason at all.

I've been there. In fact I just made a similar point to Double R in the New Atheist thread. My point was somewhat more subtle, but, essentially the same.
DavidHenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 1:01:34 AM
At 3/6/2016 12:30:23 AM, bulproof wrote:
I mean really.
Define many.

In this particular case, from my own personal experience, 4,592, mostly male, out of a possible estimation of 8,000 over a 20 year period.

Only joking. I don't know. Many. A lot. Just ask around.
DavidHenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 1:21:11 AM
At 3/6/2016 12:54:23 AM, Stronn wrote:
Magic man in the sky is pejorative, of course. But it is not really an inaccurate depiction of most monotheists conception of God. Magic = divine, man = male, sky = heaven.

The concept doesn't unsettle my nerves at all. I just find that there is no rational reason to believe such a being exists. What unsettles my nerves is when people claim to know for a certainty that such a being exists, and not only that, but claim to know how he wants me to live.

I understand. I get the same unsettling when someone claims to know for a certainty that such a being doesn't exists, and how accepting that is a better way for me to live. Is that fair, in your own estimation?

I like Brave New World, 1984 and The Matrix, but I sure would not like to live in the dystopian worlds they depict. It seems that by your logic, people could not like horror movies without liking horrible things.

That's an excellent point, I didn't mean to imply that. I only meant to suggest some irony (which I never could get the hang of irony) in the atheist scoffing at the concept of a more advanced life form in what is, in effect, outer space. Even as in the case of, for example, Transpermia, or Panspermia, having to do with life on this planet.
Stronn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 9:36:59 AM
At 3/6/2016 1:21:11 AM, DavidHenson wrote:
At 3/6/2016 12:54:23 AM, Stronn wrote:

I understand. I get the same unsettling when someone claims to know for a certainty that such a being doesn't exists, and how accepting that is a better way for me to live. Is that fair, in your own estimation?

You are subtly shifting the burden of proof. If someone claims that there absolutely is no god, therefore you should hate your neighbor, cheat on your spouse, and work all day on Sunday, then yes, you should take exception. But atheism is just non-belief. It is not the absolute certainty that there is no god (although some atheists do go that far). There is no dogmatic belief that atheism imposes, except perhaps a belief in reason. And it's hard to argue against reason.

I like Brave New World, 1984 and The Matrix, but I sure would not like to live in the dystopian worlds they depict. It seems that by your logic, people could not like horror movies without liking horrible things.

That's an excellent point, I didn't mean to imply that. I only meant to suggest some irony (which I never could get the hang of irony) in the atheist scoffing at the concept of a more advanced life form in what is, in effect, outer space. Even as in the case of, for example, Transpermia, or Panspermia, having to do with life on this planet.

I agree it would be irony if an atheist believed the claim that there was an all-powerful alien out there, akin to Q on Star Trek. However, most atheists I've met dismiss such claims as quickly as they dismiss religious claims. Transpermia and Panspermia, while sheer speculation, are at least remotely plausible, and in principle, testable. But yes, if an atheist claimed to have certain knowledge that either one was true, then that would be ironic. They clearly would not be applying the same standard of evidence they apply to religion.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 9:45:04 AM
Well give us your description of the thing that created the whole universe and everything in it in 6 days, what do it look like.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 10:22:04 AM

It's a nod to the classical notion of God in heaven. Heaven was equated with being just above the dome of the sky (the firmament). In fact there are many references in the OT to God living in the clouds and they are definitely in the sky. As to the "magic", that should be self-evident. Personally I prefer Sky Fairy.

That would match more closely with current conceptions of their God by theists, but this is a relatively modern development. I would aldo take out the "man" and replace it with "being". Not many theists think of God as a man nowadays. Or do they?
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 10:43:19 AM
At 3/6/2016 10:22:04 AM, dee-em wrote:

It's a nod to the classical notion of God in heaven. Heaven was equated with being just above the dome of the sky (the firmament). In fact there are many references in the OT to God living in the clouds and they are definitely in the sky. As to the "magic", that should be self-evident. Personally I prefer Sky Fairy.

That would match more closely with current conceptions of their God by theists, but this is a relatively modern development. I would aldo take out the "man" and replace it with "being". Not many theists think of God as a man nowadays. Or do they?

If they say he is like a modern day man, and if he built the universe . And if he is in heaven , for 1 man to build the universe a element of magic needs to be,
So his a man that can preform things that we all WE ALL call magic. and he lives in the sky, if that's where they think heaven is.
To sum it up . His a magic man in the sky. But they will pull out a good old john 7:9 or a Paul 8: 2. And we will be wrong.
Pandit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 12:05:41 PM
I don't think , there is a magic man in the sky who is governing the universe .

But I firmly believe there are these 4D and 5D or Multidimensional beings living in this universe .
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 12:13:11 PM
I don't use the phrase myself, David, but I think it highlights three issues commonly associated with a perception of religious naivete:

1 - 'Magic': An appeal to magic is not simply an reference to unexplained power. It reflects an infant-like desire to wish one's way into the world one wants, rather than learning to understand and work with the world one has;

2 - 'Man': While not all gods are anthropomorphic, 54% of the world believes in a transcendental moral authority that nevertheless happens to resemble humanity both in 'image' (whatever image means, since the religious often can't explain it), and in moral sensibilities (even though human morality itself is growing.) If one wants to cautiously conjecture a powerful intellect which created the universe, that's one thing, but pronouncing that it also resembles and validates one's own psychosocial identity runs the risk of being a flagrant conceit; and finally

3 - 'Sky': Christianity in particular, but ancient religions in general, often attached theological significance to the sky. Obviously, scientific knowledge now tells us that we are not actually looking at a sky, but through an atmosphere into a vast, ancient universe that engulfs and dwarfs us. While modern Christians don't necessarily believe heaven is in 'the sky', they still frequently use 'up' and 'down' to represent theological directions. So there is still in Abrahamic belief a tendency to put heaven into a mythological sky that resides not in our atmosphere nor in the universe beyond it, yet somehow mythically co-exists with it by precedent of language and tradition.

There are atheists who find such mythic beliefs infantile, conceited and shamelessly self-deluding. When they ridicule a 'magic man in the sky', they are distilling common beliefs and assertions they find silliest in religion, and seeking to highlight just how ignorant, archaic and supersitious are such beliefs.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 12:24:58 PM
And what leed you to this idea?
It says your Hindu , um what country are you from pandit if you don't mind me asking?
Pandit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 12:31:29 PM
At 3/6/2016 12:24:58 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
And what leed you to this idea?
It says your Hindu , um what country are you from pandit if you don't mind me asking?

I am From India .

Um ! My views depend on my experience and Reading of Scriptures .
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 12:33:49 PM
At 3/6/2016 12:05:41 PM, Pandit wrote:

But I firmly believe there are these 4D and 5D or Multidimensional beings living in this universe .

Oh I just read your thing it says your from India. How lucky are you ,
I mean being Hindu ard being from India.
Do you think you would be Hindu if you were born in Turkey or Greece?
Pandit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 12:40:51 PM
At 3/6/2016 12:33:49 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

In my opinion , Hindu is Hindu . He is born from a Hindu .
If I am born in Greece and my Parents are not Hindu , The I am not a Hindu .
If I follow Hinduism , even then I am not a Hindu . I may be a Vaishnava , Vedantist , Shavite , Shakta , etc but not Hindu .
Hindu is or I should say was a geographic marker . It meant people east of Indus . During Colonial period , It meant people other than Abrahmics and Parsi . Then hindu included Jains , Buddhists and Sikhs .

Now Hindu = Those who follow faiths belonging to Hinduism .
Hindu is a complicated term .
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 12:44:42 PM
At 3/6/2016 12:40:51 PM, Pandit wrote:
At 3/6/2016 12:33:49 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

In my opinion , Hindu is Hindu . He is born from a Hindu .
If I am born in Greece and my Parents are not Hindu , The I am not a Hindu .
If I follow Hinduism , even then I am not a Hindu . I may be a Vaishnava , Vedantist , Shavite , Shakta , etc but not Hindu .
Hindu is or I should say was a geographic marker . It meant people east of Indus . During Colonial period , It meant people other than Abrahmics and Parsi . Then hindu included Jains , Buddhists and Sikhs .

Now Hindu = Those who follow faiths belonging to Hinduism .
Hindu is a complicated term .

Fair enough.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 12:49:12 PM
At 3/6/2016 1:01:34 AM, DavidHenson wrote:
I mean really.
Define many.

In this particular case, from my own personal experience, 4,592, mostly male, out of a possible estimation of 8,000 over a 20 year period.

Just another believer who has no care for truth? OK, nothing new there.
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 1:35:33 PM
At 3/6/2016 12:49:12 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 3/6/2016 1:01:34 AM, DavidHenson wrote:
I mean really.
Define many.

Just another believer who has no care for truth? OK, nothing new there.
Prove it with evidence. Show me the evidence you have that proves you know what a believer cares about.....oh yeh you can't. You're not capable of proving what truely is in another person's mind in regards to what they think. You can only take their word for it. Hence, you're just another blathering hypocrite who claims you know what others honestly think but have absolutely no way of proving it. Good ole faith 101 bul. You believe and make knowledge claims without demonstrable evidence. You should change that screen name to anotherblatherskite.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 3:33:59 PM

And, that is one of the hypocrisies of religion.

Men believe their gods lived on top of a mountain, such as Zeus on Mt. Olympus. When they got to the top of that mountain, they found no gods. So, men believed god was in the clouds, but soon men built planes and found no gods in the sky, so they then believed god was beyond the clouds, but then men went into space and still found no gods, they scan the universe with technologically advanced telescopes and still find no gods.

So now, men "firmly believe" their gods exist in other dimensions.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Pandit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 3:41:25 PM
At 3/6/2016 3:33:59 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Men believe their gods lived on top of a mountain, such as Zeus on Mt. Olympus. When they got to the top of that mountain, they found no gods. So, men believed god was in the clouds, but soon men built planes and found no gods in the sky, so they then believed god was beyond the clouds, but then men went into space and still found no gods, they scan the universe with technologically advanced telescopes and still find no gods.

Well ! Hindu texts says , Lord lives in a different realm where people with 4 arms live .
Hey ! He even got a place in DC Comics .

Personal Gods lived on Earth and some came from other planets .
But Impersonal God who is the cause and effect of everything , Doesn't exist as a person . So you can't find it . You can only experience it , IMO .

Our knowledge is limited .
Most people in West base this views under the influence of Greek Mythology , Torah , Bible and Quran .
Come East and you will get a whole new view of God .
Pandit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 3:48:30 PM

Vaikuntha (the Place of not Hindrance), Paramapadam, Vishnupada (Vishnu's feet), or Param Padam (the Supreme Abode) is the celestial home of Vishnu. In most of the extant Puranas, and Vaishnava traditions, Vaikuntha is located in the direction of the Makara Rashi, which coincides with the Capricorn constellation. Vishnu's eye is supposed to be located at the South Celestial Pole as well.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 4:02:47 PM
At 3/6/2016 3:48:30 PM, Pandit wrote:

Vaikuntha (the Place of not Hindrance), Paramapadam, Vishnupada (Vishnu's feet), or Param Padam (the Supreme Abode) is the celestial home of Vishnu. In most of the extant Puranas, and Vaishnava traditions, Vaikuntha is located in the direction of the Makara Rashi, which coincides with the Capricorn constellation. Vishnu's eye is supposed to be located at the South Celestial Pole as well.

Yes, the belief that your gods are out in space somewhere. Of course, no one then even knew what a star was, just a blinky light up in the sky.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Pandit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 4:30:08 PM
At 3/6/2016 4:02:47 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Yes, the belief that your gods are out in space somewhere. Of course, no one then even knew what a star was, just a blinky light up in the sky.

Ya ! In the west . Not for us in the east .
We were already aware of Sun , Moon and other planets till Saturn .
They were written down in Vedic astrology and Astronomy texts .

https://en.wikipedia.org...
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 4:32:59 PM
At 3/6/2016 4:30:08 PM, Pandit wrote:
At 3/6/2016 4:02:47 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Ya ! In the west . Not for us in the east .
We were already aware of Sun , Moon and other planets till Saturn .
They were written down in Vedic astrology and Astronomy texts .

Please stop lying about that. Early Greeks knew much more than Indians and they still had no clue what stars were. So, you can stop with the bs.

https://en.wikipedia.org...